ECT MADists don't follow Paul

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And then has the nerve to say "Irenaeus didn't witness anything" when his words are used against preterism.

Correct.

Irenaeus didn't witness Polycarp being told by John that John was sent to Patmos during the reign of Domition.

Danoh

And then has the nerve to say "Irenaeus didn't witness anything" when his words are used against preterism.

For a moment, a few days ago, I actually considered posting some of the many references from the ECF to before Darby that show Dispensational viewpoint.

And an Acts 2 Dispy friend is actually putting together an antholgy of them all.

But then I thought 'no; this clown is not interested and will only twist it all.'

Still, I have always held to Hilston's same point that what matters is what Scripture shows to be the case.

You attempted the ECF route, Tam, only to see the very response I changed my mind in my anticipation of this Jerry Shugart twin's same old garbage.

From here on out my response to this bozo will be to simply post that link you provided.

That one and all see his actual agenda, at the same time I save wasting time with this fool.

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...tai-Questions-the-Mid-Acts-View-Cannot-Answer

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0103303.htm are you quite sure tet? Maybe Irenaeus did say he witnessed Polycarp in his early youth,,,,again scroll down to paragraph 4.

I said that Irenaeus didn't eyewitness John tell Polycarp that John was sent to Patmos during the reign of Domition.

I didn't say that Irenaeus didn't see Polycarp.

However, while we're on paragraph 4, let's look at another Death Knell to MAD:

"Then, again, the Church in Ephesus, founded by Paul, and having John remaining among them permanently until the times of Trajan, is a true witness of the tradition of the apostles."

As we see above, Irenaeus tells us that Paul founded the church in Ephesus, and then had John remain there permanently until Trajan.

This refutes MAD's claim that "body believers" went to "body churches", and "kingdom believers" went to "kingdom churches".

MAD has Paul and John in different programs and different churches. According to Irenaeus, MAD is wrong.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's a theory Tam.

I can play this game too.

From the original "Philoxenian" New Testament, as translated A.D. 508:

"The Revelation, which was made by God to John the Evangelist, in the island of Patmos, to which he was banished by Nero the Emperor."

From the Etheridge Syriac, also 5th Century:

"THE REVELATION WHICH WAS MADE UNTO JUHANON THE EVANGELIST, FROM ALOHA, IN PATHAMON THE ISLAND, WHITHER HE HAD BEEN CAST BY NERO CAESAR."

Use common sense Tam.

Do you really think that after the events of 70AD, John wouldn't have mentioned it?
And what was their source for saying that in those translations of the bible?
Who told them that it was in the time of Nero rather than Domitian?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I said that Irenaeus didn't eyewitness John tell Polycarp that John was sent to Patmos during the reign of Domition.

"Then, again, the Church in Ephesus, founded by Paul, and having John remaining among them permanently until the times of Trajan, is a true witness of the tradition of the apostles."

As we see above, Irenaeus tells us that Paul founded the church in Ephesus, and then had John remain there permanently until Trajan.

This refutes MAD's claim that "body believers" went to "body churches", and "kingdom believers" went to "kingdom churches".

MAD has Paul and John in different programs and different churches. According to Irenaeus, MAD is wrong.
Tajan was 2 emperors after Domitian.
John left Patmos to go to Ephesus and remained there.
He did not write Revelation from Ephesus.
He wrote it from Patmos.

Revelation 1:9 KJV
(9) I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

whitestone

lol,so in other words John is in the Church at Ephesus during the days of Trajan ad98-ad107 because he is told he must prophecy again Revelation 10:11 KJV after he was at Patmos,about 30 years after Paul died,,,yea your real good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajan

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And what was their source for saying that in those translations of the bible?

I don't know, but if I had to guess, I would guess common sense after reading the Revelation.

Who told them that it was in the time of Nero rather than Domitian?

I have no idea, the guys who wrote it are long gone.

However, without that ambiguous statement from Irenaeus, there would be no "late date" theory.

Because you guys are all Darby followers, and I'm a Preterist, you want it so bad for Revelation to be written after 70AD because you know that would be the end of Preterism if it was.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Correct.

Irenaeus didn't witness Polycarp being told by John that John was sent to Patmos during the reign of Domition.
Neither did any or your sources witness Polycarp being told by John that John was sent to Patmos.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
lol,so in other words John is in the Church at Ephesus during the days of Trajan ad98-ad107 because he is told he must prophecy again Revelation 10:11

You need to read it again, it says "until the times of Trajan".

KJV after he was at Patmos,about 30 years after Paul died,,,yea your real good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajan

You guys should really get a calculator and see how old you make John to be.

John was one of Jesus' Disciples, and probably about the same age of Jesus.

You have John traveling throughout the world at about 105 years old. They didn't have planes, trains, and automobiles back then, I don't see a 105 year old man traveling throughout the world back then.

Again, try using common sense.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Neither did any or your sources witness Polycarp being told by John that John was sent to Patmos.

Huh?

John tells us he went to Patmos.

(Rev 1:9) I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.

whitestone

You need to read it again, it says "until the times of Trajan".

You guys should really get a calculator and see how old you make John to be.

John was one of Jesus' Disciples, and probably about the same age of Jesus.

You have John traveling throughout the world at about 105 years old. They didn't have planes, trains, and automobiles back then, I don't see a 105 year old man traveling throughout the world back then.

Again, try using common sense.

You should calculate that if Paul died "before ad70" then John continued there afterward just as the Revelation tells you in Revelation 10:11 KJV

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You should calculate that if Paul died "before ad70"

Paul did die before 70AD. Paul was killed by Nero during the 42 months given to Nero from 64AD to 68AD

then John continued there afterward just as the Revelation tells you in Revelation 10:11 KJV

I don't disagree.

MAD claims John and Paul were in different programs, and went to different churches.

MAD doesn't have John in the Body of Christ. MAD has John in the "kingdom" program.

If what Ireneaus says about John remaining permanently at a church Paul started, then MAD is wrong. (MAD is wrong)