ECT Lust

elohiym

In regards to Matthew 5:27-28, what else could it mean other than sexual lust i.e. attraction? The use of the word "adultery" gives the meaning away immediately.

But even if one covets his neighbor's wife for her money, which happens, it's still adultery in one's heart, right?

Is it natural for a single man to have a sexual attraction for a single woman? Yes! That sexual attraction (along with other very important things such as friendship, love, respect, etc.) leads to God's design for human sexuality: marriage.

I agree, and wouldn't call that lust.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Just out of curiosity elohiym, is the purpose behind this thread to legitimize all loving sexual relationships as long as coveting/lust isn't involved?

And when I say "all", based on dealing with you under the username of Doormat, you know what I'm referring to.

There must be dozens of people who come back with different names, and you know them all.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Good catch....this is from another thread where Elo claims he can be physically "aroused" by a woman other than his wife, and it isn't a sin...it isn't lusting.

Being attracted to someone of the opposite sex whether you're married or not is not unnatural. If you're married and the attraction is towards a woman other than your wife, it's how we deal with that attraction that matters (stay away from that woman, build a stronger relationship with your wife, pray to God to give you strength to take those immoral desires away, etc.).

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
In regards to Matthew 5:27-28, what else could it mean other than sexual lust i.e. attraction? The use of the word "adultery" gives the meaning away immediately.

But even if one covets his neighbor's wife for her money, which happens, it's still adultery in one's heart, right?

Gold diggers come in both genders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Is it natural for a single man to have a sexual attraction for a single woman? Yes! That sexual attraction (along with other very important things such as friendship, love, respect, etc.) leads to God's design for human sexuality: marriage.

I agree, and wouldn't call that lust.

elohiym

Being attracted to someone of the opposite sex whether you're married or not is not unnatural. If you're married and the attraction is towards a woman other than your wife, it's how we deal with that attraction that matters (stay away from that woman, build a stronger relationship with your wife, pray to God to give you strength to take those immoral desires away, etc.).

This is pretty much my view.

glorydaz

Exactly. :thumb:

Claiming there is nothing wrong with those desires and claiming it isn't lust is wrong. Elo very specifically said his "arousal" in such a case would not be lust or immoral in any way.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Luk 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Both the word 'lust' and the word 'desire' are epithumeo in the Greek.
Obviously, 'epithumeo' in itself does not necessarily mean an evil desire.

Context determines meaning.

glorydaz

"Pretty much"?

elohiym said:
Lusting is coveting, according to the Bible. It is not being sexually aroused by the opposite sex. If I covet another man's wife, I'm an adulterer. If I find her attractive, I've done nothing wrong. If I become aroused, I've done nothing wrong. If I desire to have her in spite of her husband, it's lusting (coveting) and adultery whether I think it or do it. You are trying to make normal sexual attraction between the sexes immoral and calling it "lust."

1PeaceMaker

To enlarge upon this - I've read that just pheromones create a certain level of arousal and hormonal response. And pheromones are completely outside the conscious mind. You might not even know what was arousing you if you did not see or hear the source.

And arousal is not just limited to a physiological response, but it's interesting that in men and women (moreso with women) physical arousal may go unnoticed.

Likewise, one may rate the opposite sex very highly in attractiveness, but due to a lack of sex drive not have a physiological reaction.

Bottom line, I don't think that sexual dysfunction prevents the sin of lust, nor does it make a human more holy to lack physical responsiveness.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
To enlarge upon this - I've read that just pheromones create a certain level of arousal and hormonal response. And pheromones are completely outside the conscious mind. You might not even know what was arousing you if you did not see or hear the source.

And arousal is not just a physiological response, but it's interesting that in men and women (moreso with women) physical arousal may go unnoticed.

Likewise, one may rate the opposite sex very highly in attractiveness, but due to a lack of sex drive not have a physiological reaction.

Bottom line, I don't think that sexual dysfunction prevents the sin of lust, nor does it make a human more holy to lack physical responsiveness.

Are you two in different parts of the house on TOL ?

1PeaceMaker

And a lot of infidelity is not about sexual attraction but desire for emotional intimacy through a fling outside of the marriage or any number of things like affirmation and approval, getting more money, etc.

glorydaz

And arousal is not just limited to a physiological response, but it's interesting that in men and women (moreso with women) physical arousal may go unnoticed.

Which really has nothing to do with what Elo was claiming, but it's a nice effort at deflecting.

elohiym

This has much to do with what I'm claiming in the OP. :up:

elohiym

Can a person commit adultery without having a sexual thought?

Yes, I believe so. Example: a woman wanting to take another woman's man for his money even though she is not sexually attracted to him. It would still be adultery in her heart just to desire to take that other woman's husband for his money alone.