Life of Privilege Explained in a $100 Race

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Johnson's "great society" and modern feminism told minorities that marriage wasn't necessary, that fathers were optional

ok doser

white privilege or majority culture privilege?

should I feel guilty that my parents and I have embraced the values of my culture, values that have historically led to success, such as trustworthiness, loyalty, helpfulness, friendliness, courtesy, kindliness, obedience, cheerfulness, thrift, courage, moral and reverence?

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I have embraced the values of my culture, values that have historically lead to success, such as trustworthiness, loyalty, helpfulness, friendliness, courtesy, kindliness, obedience, cheerfulness, thrift, courage, moral and reverence?

Define "embraced."

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

should I feel guilty that my parents and I have embraced the values of my culture, values that have historically lead to success, such as trustworthiness, loyalty, helpfulness, friendliness, courtesy, kindliness, obedience, cheerfulness, thrift, courage, moral and reverence?

Which "culture"is that?

ok doser

asked to prove evidence of "white privilege" the young "identitarian" (whatever that is) comes up with: "they have the majority of their fathers at home...." she trails off :nono:

they also discuss affirmative action

in the context of a black student union, she says: " i don't think there's anything wrong with having a segregated population of students..."

and then "black people can't be racist..."

for a well spoken, thoughtful young woman, it's a crying shame to see what a corrupt education system has done to her

The Berean

So just so i understand. It is "privilege" to have two parents who are married and the father lives at home?

ok doser

Yes, an unfair "white" privilege

Any black families who achieve this are therefore guilty of cultural appropriation :p

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Watch this video about privileges. After watching, share how your worldview informs your reaction.
https://youtu.be/4K5fbQ1-zps

My world view tells me not to be a whiner and sniveler if someone is better off than me.

A liberal will cry and complain if someone else is super rich or privileged.

A normal re-blooded American Republican will simply figure out how to catch up and get just as rich, and then work hard to achieve the goal.

Nobody likes a whiner.

GO TRUMP!

trump-rich.png

MennoSota

My world view tells me not to be a whiner and sniveler if someone is better off than me.

A liberal will cry and complain if someone else is super rich or privileged.

A normal re-blooded American Republican will simply figure out how to catch up and get just as rich, and then work hard to achieve the goal.

Nobody likes a whiner.

GO TRUMP!

trump-rich.png
No one says that the different starting places are wrong. At least I don't. We just can't take personal credit for what others before us have done. We can only work from where we start.
The thing the video doesn't mention is that the end point (finish line) is also determined by the individual running the path. Not everyone thinks winning $100 is worth getting. They may value winning a vacation or a community of friends as their finish line.
What the video reminds me to do is to not look down on or begrudge someone who starts at a different place than I started. It reminds me that we all have different goals. We should encourage each other to keep running; to reach for goals. Our success or failure is in our hands as long as we all encourage each other rather than working to create obstacles in people's path.

quip

BANNED
Banned

should I feel guilty that my parents and I have embraced the values of my culture, values that have historically led to success, such as trustworthiness, loyalty, helpfulness, friendliness, courtesy, kindliness, obedience, cheerfulness, thrift, courage, moral and reverence?

No, not at all....rather you should share those opportunities for prosperity (equalitability). When everybody wins your slice gets bigger because the pie grows larger.

It's nothing to do with guilt. :doh:

ok doser

No, not at all....rather you should share those opportunities for prosperity (equalitability).

how do i share the fact that my parents never divorced and that I was raised in a traditional white culture family that values hard work, sacrifice, education...?

i mean, i shared those with my kids, as best i could

how do i share that with all those brown kids in the video who were back by the starting line?

quip

BANNED
Banned
how do i share the fact that my parents never divorced and that I was raised in a traditional white culture family that values hard work, sacrifice, education...?

i mean, i shared those with my kids, as best i could

how do i share that with all those brown kids in the video who were back by the starting line?

By understanding them, not disparaging them for their lack but rather encourage them in spite of such; by being exemplar of the virtues you listed above.

As you know it all won't take, while that which does may never be beheld by you, but don't let that dissuade you....don't let your ego become a barrier for others.