Let restaurants 'opt out' of handwashing after toilet to reduce regulatory burden

musterion

Well, you kind of missed the point where he says that if they did that, they would go out of business.

That was precisely his point but of course it was ignored. A competitor can put on a billboard, "WE make our employees wash their hands, unlike some other places! Eat here with confidence."

But he kinda defeats his point by saying (if I understood him) that they'd still be required to notify the public that they DON'T require employees to wash hands. That would still be, to an extent, a regulatory burden.

musterion

would you frequent a restaurant that had a reputation for making its customers sick?

Hey, you up for some Chipotle? It's not their burritos with e. coli I dig so much as the liberal virtue signalling buzz I get from just telling people I eat there and conspicuously flashing a Chipotle styrofoam cup like all the cool kids.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Employees can only use the restroom in pairs, to have a witness to the hand washings, or the manager stands in the restroom to ensure all employees wash.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I believe I spoke to the ineffectuality of the regulation, which I believe is somewhat self-evident by the lack of adequate surveillance, not any alleged pointlessness of the regulation; and my opinion is based on the hand-washing regulations in my state and the study I posted from the CDC.
I agree. Any rule that you can't enforce is going to have limited effectiveness.

Why do you believe your hands are sanitary before you touch your parts? The food service worker may have been handling raw meat before he touches himself, the restroom doorknob or other bathroom fixtures.
Now I know what you mean. Washing before could be good as well. But in a way you'd want them to wash their hands before they even get to the bathroom, like in a kitchen sink.

elohiym

Now I know what you mean. Washing before could be good as well. But in a way you'd want them to wash their hands before they even get to the bathroom, like in a kitchen sink.

Sure. Then after they handle the filthy door to enter the restroom they should wash again before touching themselves. That would prevent spreading viruses and bacteria from door surfaces to the mucous membranes of their parts while using the restroom.

Foxfire

Regulations violated constantly? That's weird, why in the world would a company not do what's right? Well, anyway, don't worry, "the market will take care of that." :plain:

If you think about it, the regulations pertaining to hand-washing in the food service industry aren't actually imposed on the business' per se, but rather, on the 'employees OF' those business'.

Regardless of the best efforts of a restaurants management to enforce the rigid practice of hand-washing, it still falls, ultimately, to the employee to comply with the regulation/policy.

If you have concerns about a restaurants (or it's employees) compliance with hand-washing policy, simply go wash your own hands. If you turn the faucet on and find cold water coming out of the hot water tap and have to stand and wait for it to warm up, then chances are, nobody has washed their hands of recent.

*Don't be surprised at the rarity of finding the water to be hot.

:plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you think about it, the regulations pertaining to hand-washing in the food service industry aren't actually imposed on the business' per se, but rather, on the 'employees OF' those business'.

Regardless of the best efforts of a restaurants management to enforce the rigid practice of hand-washing, it still falls, ultimately, to the employee to comply with the regulation/policy.
Easiest way for an employer to be sure is have a sink in the employee area that has to be used whenever they reenter it.

Foxfire

Easiest way for an employer to be sure is have a sink in the employee area that has to be used whenever they reenter it.

They're actually required to have hand wash sinks in the kitchen, that's pretty standardized nationwide. It still falls to the employee make proper use of it.

Another common and effective safeguard requirement is the use of sterile food service gloves.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
what, like making the use of the sink activate a turnstile to allow the employee to pass?
Completely destroys my initial and less inventive notion of an active shift manager simply noting an employee is reentering the food preparation area and making sure said employee washes his or her hands...by which I mean his or her own hands and not the active manager's hands. :plain:

Sure. Why not.

Might add a
You-shall-not-pass.jpg
with the additional, "Until you wash those hands!" beneath it. That sort of thing.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Completely destroys my initial and less inventive notion of an active shift manager simply noting an employee is reentering the food preparation area ...

what if he's in the freezer, or on the phone, or dealing with a customer?

who watches the gate then?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
We should have germ detecting sensors throughout the cooking areas. That and tubs filled with disinfectant all over the place. They should have no restrooms at restaurants also.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
what if he's in the freezer, or on the phone, or dealing with a customer?
That's why most chains have shift supervisors. Or you could send the employee on the freezer run, have a phone that allows you to line of sight the cooking area (most have that) and do your best in general.

But you don't pull up stop signs because some people are going to run them and you can't have a cop behind a bush near most of them.

who watches the gate then?
Jack Nicholson?

Or you could just do your best, remind the employees of the policy, have them sign off on understanding it and protect your company from accusations of negligent disregard by taking those reasonable steps to safeguard the public.

rexlunae

Who benefits? The corporation. Why? Because in the absence of the requirement there's no corporate liability and that goes to recovery of damages in a civil suit. So what seems underthought and goofy maybe isn't so much either.

I think you're on to something there.

genuineoriginal

GOP senator: Let restaurants ‘opt out’ of handwashing after toilet to ‘reduce regulatory burden’
Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) argued this week that restaurants should be able to “opt out” of health department regulations that require employees to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

It's crazy that this isn't satire.
The Republican senator is clearly wrong, since his concern is the Capitalist idea of letting market forces determine whether a business will succeed or not. :rolleyes:

A Democrat senator could argue that requiring restaurant workers to wash their hands after using the bathroom is racist and discrimination against immigrant workers, and nobody would oppose it. :devil: