Justin POTD: 29 May 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin (Wiccan)

While I disagree with the accuracy of the first paragraph, and I disagree with the theology of the balance, this post is one of the clearest and most cogent arguments I've ever heard for Enyartian theonomy.

Clete said:
Justin (Wiccan) said:
Oddly enough, (despite the distorted interpretation of some theonomists) Paul never speaks of theonomy at all. :think:
Well this isn't entirely true. He does speak of those in authority not bearing the sword in vain and he endorses the death penalty while he himself is on trial and so on. But be that as it may, this statement of yours misses the point, and it is just this sort of argument that causes me to avoid arguing for something so vaguely defined as "theonomy".
He's the point. There are laws which are just and there are laws that are not. You agree, I assume, that a country should be governed by the rule of law, do you not? And so the question simply becomes, "What laws should be enforced and why?"; or "Which laws are just and why"?
The best you can do to answer this question is one derivation or another of "Whatever the majority of the people say." The problem with that is that the majority of people are evil and so no matter how good things start off, they will always denigrate the law until it is completely corrupt and unjust.
I, on the other hand say that God is smarter than we are and that His law works and should be followed. Every time His law has been tried, to whatever extent it was applied, the nation was blessed and flourished. When they turned from His law, they suffered and eventually perished. This country is no exception, nor will it be.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Context

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.