Josephus Records Doctrine of Immorality of the Soul and Punishment

logos_x

There can be no doubt that our period is a time for salvation. People were also saved in the time of the Apostles. And many people have since become Christians. Yet in spite of what appears to be a great number of people presently responding to the call of God, Christians today only represent a tiny minority of the earth’s population. Throughout history, and even in our own time, it is obvious that the vast majority of peoples who have lived on earth have not heard the message of Christ. To be a Christian one must express the faith of Christ, appropriate the efficacy of His cross for the forgiveness of sins, and actively trust in Christ’s mediatorial role in one’s life. The fact is, however, millions of people — even billions — have expressed no faith at all in Christ. If this is the only time for salvation, these people must, of necessity, be lost forever. This would be an inescapable conclusion. Thankfully, the Bible shows this not to be the case. There are actually time periods which God uses to grant salvation to men. God will not be a respecter of persons in the ultimate sense.

If you REALLY want to get a handle on this issue...begin HERE!

Polycarp

Originally posted by logos_x

Gen 3:4 But the serpent said to the woman, "You will not die;

seems you teach the same thing the serpent does...you are immortal and will live forever regardless of you're relationship with God.

Scripture, in the original languages they were written in, does not teach everlasting punishment in the sense you are saying.
Why punish if it produces NO CHANGE? Why not just destroy them so they aren't around anymore?
Heres a question no one can answer...

If people live forever in firey torment...what keeps them alive in the flames?

Regarding your answer on Gen.3:4 , your misundestanding regarding the term "life" is rather strange but indicative of the SDA simplistic theology. They claim that ANY EXISTENCE, EVEN IN TORMENT is EQUAL to ETERNAL LIFE Life promised by Christ! What ignorance! That shows how little they understand the scripture. HOW PERPOSTIOUS of them to even reason that follishness.

Existence in torment is not equal to EVERLASTING life. Existence in torment is equal to EVERLASTING death, not eternal life.

Annihilationist have argued that "eternal life" is reduced to SIMPLE EXISTENCE, even if it's an existence in PUNISHMENT! They will claim that if a person is in "everlasting punishment" then he has also the scriptural meaning of "eternal life" . We all know that eternal life which is promised by Christ means joyous everlasting life. The term "eternal life" is means the abundant, glorious and joyous life in Christ. The word "zoe" in the Greek (life) means an abundant life, not simply existence. In John 11:25 Christ promises that He is the "resurrection and the life" and that those who believe in him "Shall NEVER DIE" . Christ understands that they will die in the flesh but though they do, they will never be separated from Him or God. Christ "is the resurrection" because though they have died in their sins and separated from God, He is a resurrection spiritually unto them and they now live and shall never again die as to be separated from God. Paul repeats this same thought in Rom.8:38-39 when he writes, " . 38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life… shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Christ says in John 8: 51Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall NEVER SEE DEATH. Yet, we know that the BODY will die, but the believer who keeps Christ sayings shall never die as to be separated from God.

Eternal life is not mere existence, but joyous abundant life in the Grace of God. That, my friends is eternal life.

MORE LESSONS FROM SCRIPTURE REGARDING "DEATH"

In Eph.2.1 Paul writes, "1And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; " Paul and Christ describes those who are physically alive "cut off" from God as being "dead" in there sins. Does he mean, "annihilated" ? Of course not, he means they were cut off from God! And that is how Adam and Eve "died that day!"

Christ, in like manners say in Matt.8:22 "follow me, and let the dead bury the dead". Does Christ mean, let the "annihilated bury the annihilated" ? Of course not . He means let those who are not in God's Grace and separated from God bury those who died outside of God's Grace. Paul writes concerning the widow that lives in pleasure of sin in 1Tim.5:6 6But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth" Meaning that while she lives and enjoys the pleasure of the flesh, she is dead in that she is cut off from God. To "live" is to being in God's Grace and it means to live forever even though the body may die. As Christ says, "they cannot kill the soul" when they kill they body in Mt.10:28a. In this same manner, God promises "eternal life" to those who die in God's Grace and "eternal punishment" to those who do not.

As to you question, regarding the firey torment, it is God, who for the sake of justice perserves their bodies and souls unto torment without consumation. AS did God perserve Daniel's 3 friends in the firey ovens 7 times hotter. Though, they for the sake of righteousness were not tormented,
but the wicked for the sake of unrighteousness will be tormented and not annihilated because of their unrighteous deeds.

Last edited:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
staying the course....

staying the course....

Originally posted by Nineveh

I have to agree with you Polycarp.

freelight, it seems most of your posts are based on "if" and imagination. That's a little flimsy for me to base my hope of eternity on.

Hi Nin,.....some will beg to differ on your analysis. No 'ifs' or 'imagination' are being emphasized (on this thread in particular)...but sound reason based on the character of God. If you have been following this thread and our dialogues so far......Polycarp has sought to somehow validate the doctrine of immortality of the soul and everlasting punishment by a commentary by Josephus....likely in contradistinction to the anihilist camp which evidently he disagrees with. Logos_x and I take a more universalist view on salvation, and not necessarily the anihilist view...which is however a better alternative than the injustice of everlasting punishment. (this topic can be whirly because of different understanding/definitions of terms and semantics). But know that the concept of everlasting punishment has been sufficiently rebutted and discarded by those who see it for the injustice and absurdity that it is.

My hope of eternity is sealed in my being, my very soul. And....because Gods Will is Supreme as is His Love.....I shall by His grace be saved with all.....under the Saviorship of the Lord Jesus. This is not an 'if'.....but a 'fact' of Gods redeeming grace.
Speculations on everlasting punishment have nothing to do with ones salvation by divine Love...but do represent imperfect understandings of divine justice/mercy...and illogical thought processes.

As far as durations of punishment...which have been covered here or elsewhere.....this will be dependent on certain laws of justice tempered with mercy in all cases.(God does not change) One is only punished or tormented according to the severity and degree of their sins - once these sins are expiated and repentance is afforded....souls may be restored and be saved from darkness, death and further suffering caused by previous sins.( as long as a soul can call upon the name of the Lord...it can be saved/delivered).

In the law of compensation.....one only reaps what he sows. Therefore one can only be eternally punished or tormented....assuming that he is sinning and willfully rebelling against God eternally - only as he is in continual rebellion/sin...will he continue to suffer. (this issue can be taken to other levels of consideration on the 'duration' issue and whether a soul can reach a 'point of no return') .

The notion that souls who didnt do what certain church folk say they should have done to 'be saved'....are going to be tormented, punished (by God) for an ETERNITY......because of something they did or didnt do on earth....is not only injust, but wholly absurd....and illogical to divine Love and Wisdom.

There are many dimensions to these considerations that render some traditional orthodox logics obsolete in the light of truth and intelligence.

Ah, ....and as regards to 'imagination'....such is a gift of God. Some imaginations surely can be vain or altogether useless....but such can also be employed by the soul to orchestrate ideas/concepts that the intellect alone would be inept to discover.....at last being able to be perceived/interpreted spiritually. :) Its time to use all our faculties in theological discourse - among these are reason, logic, intelligence..and at last wisdom. When dogma or tradition obscure or violate these.......then its time to repent.

paul

logos_x

Originally posted by Polycarp

Existence in torment is not equal to EVERLASTING life. Existence in torment is equal to EVERLASTING death, not eternal life.

Eternal life is not mere existence, but joyous abundant life in the Grace of God. That, my friends is eternal life...

In Eph.2.1 Paul writes, "1And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; " Paul and Christ describes those who are physically alive "cut off" from God as being "dead" in there sins. Does he mean, "annihilated" ? Of course not, he means they were cut off from God! And that is how Adam and Eve "died that day!"...

As to you question, regarding the firey torment, it is God, who for the sake of justice perserves their bodies and souls unto torment without consumation. AS did God perserve Daniel's 3 friends in the firey ovens 7 times hotter. Though, they for the sake of righteousness were not tormented,
but the wicked for the sake of unrighteousness will be tormented and not annihilated because of their unrighteous deeds.

Ok.
So...God keeps them (the dead) alive...er...um...dead...and burning for all eternity. God..who's mercy never ends keeps them alive.....ummm...dead....just to torture souls.

Is that what you are saying?
Is that what you think everyone must believe?

"it is God, who for the sake of justice perserves their bodies and souls unto torment without consumation."

I'm trying to demonstrate that this kind of interpretation is flawed in the extreme. Using the very scriptures you cite I've shown that this scenario is a perversion of the Word of the living God.

The preservation of life resides in Christ only. Eternal Life in Christ only is what scripture teaches.

Further....I've shown that the Bible says that in the end ALL THINGS are IN CHRIST!

Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
Rom 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
Rom 11:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
Rom 11:35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
Rom 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

1Co 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Eph 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Phi 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
Phi 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Col 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Col 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Col 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to [/b]reconcile all things unto himself[/b]; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Heb 2:8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.

Heb 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Rev 21:6 and He said to me, `It hath been done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End; I, to him who is thirsting, will give of the fountain of the water of the life freely;
Rev 21:7 He who is overcoming shall inherit all things, and I will be to him--a God, and he shall be to me--the son,

ALL THINGS!
You might not think or believe that all things actually means all things. Nevertheless...you have not proven that it doesn't. You can try if you must, but you will never be able to prove eternal conscious torment from scripture.

Polycarp

Logos, I really don't care to continue to go around in this circle. I have shown from Josephus, the renown Jewish Historian from the time of Christ, that everlasting punishment in duration was taught by the Pharisees in exactly the same language that Christ used. The Pharisees and Christ were in total agreement with their theology regarding this matter.

Christ used the same language, the same rabbinical teaching and the same thoughts as the Rabbi's and the Pharisees in teaching everlasting punishment. Josephus records the teachings of the Christians at the time of Christ. They all agree on the issue. If you choose to believe otherwise, that is your choice.

It is also been recorded for 2,000 years, in every corner of the world, that Christ taught these things and that they are the orthodox teaching of Christianity. If you choose to believe otherwise, and to teach otherwise, then so be it.

Heresy is a perversion of the gospel, that Paul in accordance with all the Apostles promises "they have no inheritance in the Kingdom of God" . One thing is for sure, we will ALL get our chance to find out.

logos_x

Logos, I really don't care to continue to go around in this circle. I have shown from Josephus, the renown Jewish Historian from the time of Christ, that everlasting punishment in duration was taught by the Pharisees in exactly the same language that Christ used. The Pharisees and Christ were in total agreement with their theology regarding this matter.

Christ used the same language, the same rabbinical teaching and the same thoughts as the Rabbi's and the Pharisees in teaching everlasting punishment. Josephus records the teachings of the Christians at the time of Christ. They all agree on the issue. If you choose to believe otherwise, that is your choice.

It is also been recorded for 2,000 years, in every corner of the world, that Christ taught these things and that they are the orthodox teaching of Christianity. If you choose to believe otherwise, and to teach otherwise, then so be it.

Heresy is a perversion of the gospel, that Paul in accordance with all the Apostles promises "they have no inheritance in the Kingdom of God" . One thing is for sure, we will ALL get our chance to find out.

And...I rest my case.
Stubborn, arrogant, condesending, condemning, judgemental, pharisaic, perverse, blind , and impossible to reprove or correct "Churchanity" has shown it's ugly head yet once more on TOL!

[jesus]Mat 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
Mat 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
Mat 23:16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!
Mat 23:17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?
Mat 23:18 And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty.
Mat 23:19 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift?
Mat 23:20 Whoso therefore shall swear by the altar, sweareth by it, and by all things thereon.
Mat 23:21 And whoso shall swear by the temple, sweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth therein.
Mat 23:22 And he that shall swear by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God, and by him that sitteth thereon.
Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Mat 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
Mat 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
Mat 23:26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
Mat 23:27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
Mat 23:28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
Mat 23:29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, Mat 23:30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
Mat 23:31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
Mat 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
Mat 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Mat 23:34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
[/jesus]

And the legacy continues...
Congratulations!

Last edited:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
what Josephus says........

what Josephus says........

Hi Polycarp,

Hmmm,......so far you've shown that Josephus records the idea of immortality of the soul and somehow it is reasoned that because souls are more or less immortal....the idea of eternal everlasting conscious punishment/suffering/torment is therefore a viable idea.
True, this idea was entertained by some even before Jesus was born and may have been adopted by some jewish sects. It does not prove however that it is a correct or just doctrine.

The fact that some Pharisees or rabbis may have taken to the doctrine again doesnt prove their validity....but only that it was a belief at that time. Furthermore....how often was Jesus vehement and judgmental of the Pharisees ways?! A brood of vipers, white-washed tombs, hypocrites, sons of hell, etc. - doesnt sound like much of an endorsement.

The NT passages where the idea of 'eternal' or 'everlasting' hellfire, punishment, torment are......do not necessarily convery eternal duration - there have been many commentaries on this subject elsewhere.

Besides eternal punishment being an unjust and grievous teaching.....why someone or anyone would choose to focus on this is odd. If somehow souls may suffer for what seems like an 'everlasting' or 'eternal' (meaning an 'indefinite') span of time.....what does this have to with your and my salvation? Such is speculation only. I have brought up some other questions/variables that must be explored and resolved in the teaching of eternal torment already... these are -

1) The duration of punishment can only be in accordance to the serverity of the crime/sins committed and not over-excessive beyond reason....in order to be truly just. Also...this suffering is self-imposed,...not God-enforced. It is merely a universal law that what a soul sows, that also must it reap. (inescapable law).

2) The issue of determining/knowing if a soul can reach a point of 'no return' where it has made its final and unredeemable choice to embrace utter perdition and destruction, what would be considered death in its most essential, spiritual sense. (this issue of what this 'death' is or means is of course often debated in these dialogues). I had proposed that a soul as long as conscious.....is redeemable...as long as Gods grace and eternal mercy abides. If there be any particle of Gods light within a soul...and it is still conscious, it could be held that such a soul could afford itself salvation as it turns to God and calls upon His Name. This would prove Gods Love and mercy is eternal as He Himself is eternal. This is a most just, sound and reasonable logic within the parameters of divine Love.

[ I present above a view that is more kin to spiritualist thought and teaching....without the usual eschatology of traditional christianity....assuming that souls continue on in consciousness after death as opposed to going to sleep(being dead) until they are resurrected. Amid other variations in these themes....I still posit that as long as a soul is conscious and has its being in God....His divine Love and mercy is ever present waiting for that soul to avail itself of the Lords help.]

2a) So.....we have to be sure (as far as such knowledge is possible) that some souls can reach a point of 'no return' which forever bars them from Gods eternal mercy and providence of salvation. Knowing Gods eternal mercy and loving kindness...it is hard to imagine that He will not afford his children eternal mercy and salvation. But one thing is certain to me.........He will not enforce and sustain eternal punishment, torment, pain, suffering on any of his children...for such does not accord with his justice or his Love. So you see......it not so easy to just assume things just because some reputable or numerous persons believe them. If teaching does not resound with soundness, reason, intelligence, intellectual and spiritual sense, the characer of divine justice/mercy...then it is not valid or profitable.

Finally,......why should one wait til the end to find out if his doctrines are true...when he can survey them now in the light of God?....and know for himself some certainties that the Spirit of truth and wisdom can afford.

I challenge you to reconsider some things and be open for further light as it may dawn. I have found this to be the best way to grow as there is still much that we have yet to discover concerning divine Providence.

Peace,

paul

Last edited:

Polycarp

Re: what Josephus says........

Re: what Josephus says........

Originally posted by freelight

Hi Polycarp,

Hmmm,......so far you've shown that Josephus records the idea of immortality of the soul and somehow it is reasoned that because souls are more or less immortal....the idea of eternal everlasting conscious punishment/suffering/torment is therefore a viable idea.
True, this idea was entertained by some even before Jesus was born and may have been adopted by some jewish sects. It does not prove however that it is a correct or just doctrine.

The fact that some Pharisees or rabbis may have taken to the doctrine again doesnt prove their validity....but only that it was a belief at that time. Furthermore....how often was Jesus vehement and judgmental of the Pharisees ways?! A brood of vipers, white-washed tombs, hypocrites, sons of hell, etc. - doesnt sound like much of an endorsement.

The NT passages where the idea of 'eternal' or 'everlasting' hellfire, punishment, torment are......do not necessarily convery eternal duration - there have been many commentaries on this subject elsewhere.

Besides eternal punishment being an unjust and grievous teaching.....why someone or anyone would choose to focus on this is odd. If somehow souls may suffer for what seems like an 'everlasting' or 'eternal' (meaning an 'indefinite') span of time.....what does this have to with your and my salvation? Such is speculation only. I have brought up some other questions/variables that must be explored and resolved in the teaching of eternal torment already... these are -

1) The duration of punishment can only be in accordance to the serverity of the crime/sins committed and not over-excessive beyond reason....in order to be truly just. Also...this suffering is self-imposed,...not God-enforced. It is merely a universal law that what a soul sows, that also must it reap. (inescapable law).

2) The issue of determining/knowing if a soul can reach a point of 'no return' where it has made its final and unredeemable choice to embrace utter perdition and destruction, what would be considered death in its most essential, spiritual sense. (this issue of what this 'death' is or means is of course often debated in these dialogues). I had proposed that a soul as long as conscious.....is redeemable...as long as Gods grace and eternal mercy abides. If there be any particle of Gods light within a soul...and it is still conscious, it could be held that such a soul could afford itself salvation as it turns to God and calls upon His Name. This would prove Gods Love and mercy is eternal as He Himself is eternal. This is a most just, sound and reasonable logic within the parameters of divine Love.

[ I present above a view that is more kin to spiritualist thought and teaching....without the usual eschatology of traditional christianity....assuming that souls continue on in consciousness after death as opposed to going to sleep(being dead) until they are resurrected. Amid other variations in these themes....I still posit that as long as a soul is conscious and has its being in God....His divine Love and mercy is ever present waiting for that soul to avail itself of the Lords help.]

2a) So.....we have to be sure (as far as such knowledge is possible) that some souls can reach a point of 'no return' which forever bars them from Gods eternal mercy and providence of salvation. Knowing Gods eternal mercy and loving kindness...it is hard to imagine that He will not afford his children eternal mercy and salvation. But one thing is certain to me.........He will not enforce and sustain eternal punishment, torment, pain, suffering on any of his children...for such does not accord with his justice or his Love. So you see......it not so easy to just assume things just because some reputable or numerous persons believe them. If teaching does not resound with soundness, reason, intelligence, intellectual and spiritual sense, the characer of divine justice/mercy...then it is not valid or profitable.

Finally,......why should one wait til the end to find out if his doctrines are true...when he can survey them now in the light of God?....and know for himself some certainties that the Spirit of truth and wisdom can afford.

I challenge you to reconsider some things and be open for further light as it may dawn. I have found this to be the best way to grow as there is still much that we have yet to discover concerning divine Providence.

Peace,

paul

Paul, thanks for the reply. The mistake your making regarding the Pharisees, is that you think Christ was at odds with the Pharisess on ALL doctrinal issues, which is not true. Jesus was at odds with the Pharisees on SOME issues regarding the law, but not regarding the immortality of the soul and eternal punishment. There, Christ is in full agreement with them. You never find Christ condemning them for their beliefs on that subject. Rather, you find Christ confirming their beliefs.

The idea that because God condemns some to everlasting punishment is unrighteous with God, is only a conclusion drawn by one who cannot even minutely comprehend God, muchless, His judgment. Who are we to judge God? He is God, not us. If He so wills it, it is the righteous judgment of God as Paul says in Rom.2. There is no unrighteousness with Him. However, that doesn't mean He must meet OUR STANDARDS of judgment. Rather, we are always subject to His. He will judge us, not we will are judge Him.

Issue #1, I agree that the punishment is equal to the crime. Nontheless, that does not mean it isn't eternal with varying degrees of punishment.

Issue # 2, I understand your reasoning. However, the warnings of Christ concerning the wicked offer no hope of salvation but oppose it.

On your final thought, regarding waiting til the end, I only used that to put an end to my discussion with Logos, who became very hostile. Though, it is true, Logos as will everyone else, myself and you too, will have their day.

logos_x

Thanks for the kind words, Logos.

Please understand I wasn't directing those words toward you personally Polycarp..rather toward the doctrine you are attempting to defend.
It's a very odd thing how completely eternal conscious torment colors everything to the point that another view being proposed concerning God's intentions is rejected out of hand a false and heretical.
The doctrine has lead to some very bad things in history as well...

I passionately refute the traditional interpretation of the nature of Hell as eternal conscious torment because it is a monsterous doctrine that deserves to be reformed...just like the many other doctrines that Rome got wrong that needed reforming.

I'm sorry if you take offense at my words. But I will not let the issue slide when the doctrine does so much damage to everything it touches.

I sometimes wonder...could it have been this doctrine that comprised, at least in part, the leaven of the Pharisees that Jesus warned about? The evidence would say "yes". So I urge you to at least allow the possibility that what Josephus records is, in fact, something of an illness that needs healing...not the original message of Christ and His Church at all.

Mar 8:15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees...

Gal 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Polycarp

Okay, thanks, Logos. Christ had no argument with the Pharisees on the doctrine of the immortality of the soul or eternal punishment. Even in your own quote which you claim to condemn my doctrine ONLY CONFIRMS IT. Christ, in Mt.23 condemned the Pharisees for their hypocrisy by WARNING THEM, "ye make him twofold more the child of HELL than yourselves. " Using the exact words and thought that meant eternal conscious torment to the Phariees, HE WARNS THEM THAT IS WHERE THEY ARE HEADED.

He is always in agreement with them on the issues OF ETERNAL PUNISHMENT AND IMMORTALITY OF THE SOUL. Whether, I personally like something is not how I choose truth. Mk.8:15 isn't speaking of eternal punishment in context. And neither is Gal.5:9. You would do well to quote scripture in context and from context. However, you'll never find a place where Christ condemns the Pharisees for their stand on either the doctrine of the soul or eternal punishment.

If I thought Christ needed to change his doctrine, especially this "eternal conscious torment because it is a monsterous doctrine", I wouldn't even claim Him as Christ. What Christ preaches is clearly spelled out in no uncertain words. And though, abuses have taken place over the doctrine of eternal punishment, the truth is the same. And, Abuse of truth does not take away or remove the proper use.

The doctrine of eternal punishment is meant to drive people to Christ for forgiveness and repentance. The doctrine of eternal punishment glorifies the sacrifice of Christ which spares the sinner from such a thing. Without it, one cannot understand the greatness of the salvation which is in Christ, Jesus. Nor, can they fully grasp so great a redemption without seeing what we have been redeemed from and by whom. What great GRACE is in Christ and through Him. Let nothing be taken from Him or His redemption.

Last edited:

logos_x

Okay, thanks, Logos. Christ had no argument with the Pharisees on the doctrine of the immortality of the soul or eternal punishment. He is always in agreement with them on these issues.

I disagree.

Whether, I personally like something is not how I choose truth.

That is fine...only if it is really true.

Mk.8:15 isn't speaking of eternal punishment in context. And neither is Gal.5:9.

I know....it is talking about the leaven of the Pharisees in the first instance, which is what I was refering to at the time.
Galatians 5:9 refers to a little error changes the whole message.

You would do well to quote scripture in context and from context.

Indeed.

However, you'll never find a place where Christ condemns the Pharisees for their stand on either the doctrine of the soul or eternal punishment.

Other than the fact that Jesus Himself never taught it..I think whatever the Pharisees taught was not endorsed by Christ at all.

If I thought Christ needed to change his doctrine, especially this "eternal conscious torment because it is a monsterous doctrine", I wouldn't even claim Him as Christ.

Christ doesn't need to change anything.
He NEVER taught eternal conscious torment.
He taught Kolasin ...punishment aionios ...age lasting.
As long as greek was the prevailing language..."conscious
torment" wasn't the definition of punishment, and "eternal" was not the definition of aionios.
ONLY after it was translated into latin did the misunderstanding ensue...

What Christ preaches is clearly spelled out in no uncertain words.

They were not uncertain...until they were mistranslated.

And though, abuses have taken place over the doctrine of eternal punishment, the truth is the same. And, Abuse of truth does not take away or remove the proper use.

What is it's "proper" use?

The doctrine of eternal punishment is meant to drive people to Christ for forgiveness and repentance. The doctrine of eternal punishment glorifies the sacrifice of Christ which spares the sinner from such a thing. Without it, one cannot understand the greatness of the salvation which is in Christ, Jesus. Nor, can they fully grasp so great a redemption without seeing what we have been redeemed from and by whom. What great GRACE is in Christ and through Him. Let nothing be taken from Him or His redemption.

Instead it drives people away from God.
In portraying God as a God of love and mercy and justice..we find a message proclaimed that is completely incongruent and incomprehensible..that the creator of heaven and earth actually made things in sucjh a way so as to burn the vast majority of the creatures He loves the most forever without possibility of escape. A punishment from which there is no sign of the very creator God even cares at all about their misery..A God so insecure in Himself that He feels He must issue a "Love Me or burn forever" ultimatum. A God unwise enough to create immortal creatures (in their souls at least) and then tests them and is unable to save most of them when they fail.

More people REJECT God over this doctrine than ANY OTHER REASON!

It isn't right to judge God...but it is right to judge what is said about Him. And what is said about Him in this questionable doctrine is monsterous in the extreme toward mankind, and slanderously misrepresentative of God Himself.

A God that created all things can redeem all things..and He will. He says so over and over and over again.

Universal Reconciliation does nothing to drive people away, does not misrepresent God at all, shows forth God's glory and wisdom and justice, is consistant with God's displayed intentions, mercy and love...and most importantly is the truth of the Holy Scriptures and the teaching of the Hebrew prophets, Jesus Christ, and the Apostles. It was the common message of the early church for the first 500 years.

I'm going to stand with them.

Last edited:

Polycarp

Still, your appeal is based on whether people like something or not. Since, God is God, He doesn't have to appeal to man on the basis of "they won't like me" approach.

I've read all of the Ante-Nicene Fathers (10 Volumes) and I didn't find one of them that said the orthodox teaching of the church was unversal reconcilation. They do show a desire for all to be saved, as we do, that didn't make it doctrine. Because, it wasn't their doctrine. The doctrine of eternal punishment is and has been the teaching of the Church, not universal reconcilation. I can give you scores upon scores of quotes if you'd like.

Here is just a sampling:

Ignatius of Antioch

"Corrupters of families will not inherit the kingdom of God. And if they who do these things according to the flesh suffer death, how much more if a man corrupt by evil teaching the faith of God for the sake of which Jesus Christ was crucified? A man become so foul will depart into unquenchable fire: and so will anyone who listens to him" (Letter to the Ephesians 16:1–2 [A.D. 110]).

Second Clement

"If we do the will of Christ, we shall obtain rest; but if not, if we neglect his commandments, nothing will rescue us from eternal punishment" (Second Clement 5:5 [A.D. 150]).

"But when they see how those who have sinned and who have denied Jesus by their words or by their deeds are punished with terrible torture in unquenchable fire, the righteous, who have done good, and who have endured tortures and have hated the luxuries of life, will give glory to their God saying, ‘There shall be hope for him that has served God with all his heart!’" (ibid., 17:7).

Justin Martyr

"No more is it possible for the evildoer, the avaricious, and the treacherous to hide from God than it is for the virtuous. Every man will receive the eternal punishment or reward which his actions deserve. Indeed, if all men recognized this, no one would choose evil even for a short time, knowing that he would incur the eternal sentence of fire. On the contrary, he would take every means to control himself and to adorn himself in virtue, so that he might obtain the good gifts of God and escape the punishments" (First Apology 12 [A.D. 151]).

"We have been taught that only they may aim at immortality who have lived a holy and virtuous life near to God. We believe that they who live wickedly and do not repent will be punished in everlasting fire" (ibid., 21).

"[Jesus] shall come from the heavens in glory with his angelic host, when he shall raise the bodies of all the men who ever lived. Then he will clothe the worthy in immortality; but the wicked, clothed in eternal sensibility, he will commit to the eternal fire, along with the evil demons" (ibid., 52).

The Martyrdom of Polycarp
"Fixing their minds on the grace of Christ, [the martyrs] despised worldly tortures and purchased eternal life with but a single hour. To them, the fire of their cruel torturers was cold. They kept before their eyes their escape from the eternal and unquenchable fire" (Martyrdom of Polycarp 2:3 [A.D. 155]).

Mathetes
"When you know what is the true life, that of heaven; when you despise the merely apparent death, which is temporal; when you fear the death which is real, and which is reserved for those who will be condemned to the everlasting fire, the fire which will punish even to the end those who are delivered to it, then you will condemn the deceit and error of the world" (Letter to Diognetus 10:7 [A.D. 160]).

Athenagoras
"[W]e [Christians] are persuaded that when we are removed from this present life we shall live another life, better than the present one. . . . Then we shall abide near God and with God, changeless and free from suffering in the soul . . . or if we fall with the rest [of mankind], a worse one and in fire; for God has not made us as sheep or beasts of burden, a mere incidental work, that we should perish and be annihilated" (Plea for the Christians 31 [A.D. 177]).

Theophilus of Antioch
"Give studious attention to the prophetic writings [the Bible] and they will lead you on a clearer path to escape the eternal punishments and to obtain the eternal good things of God. . . . [God] will examine everything and will judge justly, granting recompense to each according to merit. To those who seek immortality by the patient exercise of good works, he will give everlasting life, joy, peace, rest, and all good things. . . . For the unbelievers and for the contemptuous, and for those who do not submit to the truth but assent to iniquity, when they have been involved in adulteries, and fornications, and homosexualities, and avarice, and in lawless idolatries, there will be wrath and indignation, tribulation and anguish; and in the end, such men as these will be detained in everlasting fire" (To Autolycus 1:14 [A.D. 181]).

Irenaeus
"[God will] send the spiritual forces of wickedness, and the angels who transgressed and became apostates, and the impious, unjust, lawless, and blasphemous among men into everlasting fire" (Against Heresies 1:10:1 [A.D. 189]).

"The penalty increases for those who do not believe the Word of God and despise his coming. . . . t is not merely temporal, but eternal. To whomsoever the Lord shall say, ‘Depart from me, accursed ones, into the everlasting fire,’ they will be damned forever" (ibid., 4:28:2).

Tertullian
"After the present age is ended he will judge his worshipers for a reward of eternal life and the godless for a fire equally perpetual and unending" (Apology 18:3 [A.D. 197]).

"Then will the entire race of men be restored to receive its just deserts according to what it has merited in this period of good and evil, and thereafter to have these paid out in an immeasurable and unending eternity. Then there will be neither death again nor resurrection again, but we shall be always the same as we are now, without changing. The worshipers of God shall always be with God, clothed in the proper substance of eternity. But the godless and those who have not turned wholly to God will be punished in fire equally unending, and they shall have from the very nature of this fire, divine as it were, a supply of incorruptibility" (ibid., 44:12–13).

Hippolytus
"Standing before [Christ’s] judgment, all of them, men, angels, and demons, crying out in one voice, shall say: ‘Just is your judgment!’ And the righteousness of that cry will be apparent in the recompense made to each. To those who have done well, everlasting enjoyment shall be given; while to the lovers of evil shall be given eternal punishment. The unquenchable and unending fire awaits these latter, and a certain fiery worm which does not die and which does not waste the body but continually bursts forth from the body with unceasing pain. No sleep will give them rest; no night will soothe them; no death will deliver them from punishment; no appeal of interceding friends will profit them" (Against the Greeks 3 [A.D. 212]).

Minucius Felix
"I am not ignorant of the fact that many, in the consciousness of what they deserve, would rather hope than actually believe that there is nothing for them after death. They would prefer to be annihilated rather than be restored for punishment. . . . Nor is there either measure nor end to these torments. That clever fire burns the limbs and restores them, wears them away and yet sustains them, just as fiery thunderbolts strike bodies but do not consume them" (Octavius 34:12–5:3 [A.D. 226]).

Cyprian of Carthage
"An ever-burning Gehenna and the punishment of being devoured by living flames will consume the condemned; nor will there be any way in which the tormented can ever have respite or be at an end. Souls along with their bodies will be preserved for suffering in unlimited agonies. . . . The grief at punishment will then be without the fruit of repentance; weeping will be useless, and prayer ineffectual. Too late will they believe in eternal punishment, who would not believe in eternal life" (To Demetrian 24 [A.D. 252]).

Lactantius
"[T]he sacred writings inform us in what manner the wicked are to undergo punishment. For because they have committed sins in their bodies, they will again be clothed with flesh, that they may make atonement in their bodies; and yet it will not be that flesh with which God clothed man, like this our earthly body, but indestructible, and abiding forever, that it may be able to hold out against tortures and everlasting fire, the nature of which is different from this fire of ours, which we use for the necessary purposes of life, and which is extinguished unless it be sustained by the fuel of some material. But that divine fire always lives by itself, and flourishes without any nourishment. . . . The same divine fire, therefore, with one and the same force and power, will both burn the wicked and will form them again, and will replace as much as it shall consume of their bodies, and will supply itself with eternal nourishment. . . . Thus, without any wasting of bodies, which regain their substance, it will only burn and affect them with a sense of pain. But when [God] shall have judged the righteous, he will also try them with fire" (Divine Institutes 7:21 [A.D. 307]).

Cyril of Jerusalem
"We shall be raised therefore, all with our bodies eternal, but not all with bodies alike: for if a man is righteous, he will receive a heavenly body, that he may be able worthily to hold converse with angels; but if a man is a sinner, he shall receive an eternal body, fitted to endure the penalties of sins, that he may burn eternally in fire, nor ever be consumed. And righteously will God assign this portion to either company; for we do nothing without the body. We blaspheme with the mouth, and with the mouth we pray. With the body we commit fornication, and with the body we keep chastity. With the hand we rob, and by the hand we bestow alms; and the rest in like manner. Since then the body has been our minister in all things, it shall also share with us in the future the fruits of the past" (Catechetical Lectures 18:19 [A.D. 350]).

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Truth over falsehood

Truth over falsehood

Still, your appeal is based on whether people like something or not. Since, God is God, He doesn't have to appeal to man on the basis of "they won't like me" approach.

Hi Polycarp,

As shared before from my perspective....this has nothing to do with personal whims, likes or dislikes.....but the reasonable survey and ministration of what is truly just. The concept of punishing souls forever and subjecting the to eternal torment is not just.

Indeed,........God is God. Gods government and ministrations are perfectly appealing in that they are consistent with His character....which is wholly just...and wholly merciful. Thru His divine Love and Wisdom....he rules the Universe and sustains all beings thru the Sovereignty of his Providence. Gods ways appeal to man because they are wholly just and wholly merciful......and are further affirmed and born witness to in the depths of mans own soul...as being wise, intelligent, sovereign, reasonable, beneficent and good.

These realites of divine nature are what are true and everlasting. All else that does not resonate with the frequency of His divine and eternal Character.....is worthless....for it is not real.

It may be easy to just believe the metaphorical and symbolic sense-impressions of terms like 'everlasting fires', 'eternal punishment', 'eternal destruction', etc. - but thats all these are....as rhetorical symbols of laguage. If one bypasses the reality of Gods divine Nature ......and chooses doctrines that are contrary to it....then he has embraced error. I choose to abide in Reality(God) and not man-made ideas. Love is Eternal. God is Love. God will be what He IS ETERNALLY. Therefore...I will not believe lies to the contrary. What is even more sad is that some have held on to them so strongly...that they own them. I will not believe anyones lies......but only TRUTH. God is the Sole Reality, and is omnipresent. Meditate on that for a bit. Stay there. Stay in Love - the dawning of light may come.

paul

logos_x

No..that isn't my point at all.
My point is this...
Eternal concious torment is not just..but God IS.
Eternal consious torment is not merciful..but God IS
Eternal consious torment is not loving...But God IS.
Eternal consious torment does NOTHING to resolve the problem of evil...rather it says that everyone remains as they were upon physical death forever withouteven the possibility of change or repentance.
It paints the picture of God maintaining an everlasting Auschwitz in which its victims are not even allowed to die.

What would we think of a human being who acted so vindictivly and insatiably?

Not only this...but what about Heaven? Are the people who make it to heaven going to praise God while He allows the magority of the human race to burn without being consumed forever without end?

Will not one inhabitant of the abode of Glory even try to make an appeal to the Father God of all creation to end the suffering? Will no one ask God if He's still mad at them after a thousand years? No one will say "Umm...Lord....don't you think they've paid enough for that sin they committed a hundred years ago? No Dr. Phils in heaven saying "Get real, Lord" after ten years of burning torture without even a drop of water to cool the tongue?

No...according to the monsterous doctrine of eternal consious torment ..the saints in heaven will rejoice at the punishments of the damned for all eternity...delight in their misery and suffering over sins that they themselves are guilty of committing as well...thanking God for saving them from the torment while not saving the sufferers.

Not only does it make no sense of God's intent to save the world...but the doctrine of eternal consious torment serves NO PURPOSE in God's plan. Instead it portrays God as a bloodthirsty tormenter who's "justice" is NEVER satisfied.

I've read all of the Ante-Nicene Fathers (10 Volumes) and I didn't find one of them that said the orthodox teaching of the church was unversal reconcilation. They do show a desire for all to be saved, as we do, that didn't make it doctrine. Because, it wasn't their doctrine. The doctrine of eternal punishment is and has been the teaching of the Church, not universal reconcilation. I can give you scores upon scores of quotes if you'd like.

No...that's OK.

I have a few of my own..

Early Christian Leaders' Beliefs

When the church apostated, she: 1) brought into herself idolatry of every kind, 2) began to teach doctrines from pagan religions, 3) burned many of the writing of some of the most noble of the Christian faith, 4) replaced humble learned leaders with power-mongers who used fear instead of love to keep order, 5) taught that lying was honorable, and 6) falsified many of the earlier church writing to conform to her new doctrines which she imported from Babylon, Persia, Greece, Rome, Egypt, and later from the four corners of the earth.

When we consider the above, it is a wonder that any of the early writing survived or were not corrupted. But God always leaves witnesses to the truth and many writings did manage to get through this dark period. I believe many more will come to the surface in the days ahead.

Here is a brief sampling..

St. Pantaenus (martyred c. 190) was the first known head of the catechetical school at Alexandria. Although none of his writings have survived, his leading disciple, who became the next head of the school, said that Pantaenus was "the man who understood and practised scripture." This disciple was St. Clement of Alexandria (150-215). He writes:

We can set no limits to the agency of the Redeemer: to redeem, to rescue, to discipline, in his work, and so will he continue to operate after this life" (quoted by Neander in Hanson p. 118). "All men are his...for either the Lord does not care for all men...or he does care for all. For He is saviour; not of some, and of others not...and how is He saviour and Lord, if not the saviour and Lord of all? For all things are arranged with a view to the salvation of the universe by the Lord of the universe both generally and particularly"(ANJ v.2 p.524-5).

The next Christian leader deserves an introduction. I could not write more fitting words than those of church historian Phillip Schaff, who says the following of this man:

"It is impossible to deny a respectful sympathy to this extraordinary man, who with all his brilliant talents, and a host of enthusiastic friends and admirers, was driven from his country, stripped of his sacred office, excommunicated from part of the church, then thrown into a dungeon, lead with chains, racked by torture, doomed to drag his aged frame and dislocated limbs in pain and poverty, and long after his death to have his memory branded, his name anathematized, and his salvations denied; but who nevertheless did more than all his enemies combined to advance the cause of sacred learning, to refute and convert heathens and heretics, and to make the church respected in the eyes of the world."

Latourette adds these praises: "Origen was more than a great teacher: He was on fire with the Christian faith." "His was, indeed, one of the greatest of Christian minds." "A superb teacher, he had a profound influence upon his students. From them and through his writing issued currents which were to help mold Christian thought for generation" (A Hist. Of Christ., Latourette, 1953).

To give you an idea of the kind of student of the Scriptures Origen was, I am going to quote Schaff in his History of the Christian Church, volume 2, page 792-3, Gerdman edition:

"Origen is one of the most important witnesses of the anteNicene text of the Greek Testament, which is older than the received text...The value of his testimony is due to his rare opportunities and life-long study of the Bible before the time when the traditional Syrian and Byzantine text was formed. Origen was an uncommonly prolific author, but by no means an idle bookmaker. Jerome says he wrote more than other men can read. Epiphanius, an opponent of Origen, states the number of his works as six thousand, which is perhaps not much beyond the mark, if we include all his short tracts, homilies, and letters, and count them as separate volumes. Many of them arose without his cooperation, and sometimes against his will, from the writings down of his oral lectures by others. Of his books which remain, some have come down to us only in Latin translations, and with many alterations in favor of the later orthodoxy."

Even though the teachers of "Eternal Torment" eventually got control of the church and began to rewrite the earlier Christian writings to conform to their own demonic doctrines, enough of the truth got through for us to see what was really going on.

Listen.

Listen to the words of Origen as he battles with a Greek philosopher named Celsus:

"The Stoics, indeed, hold that, when the strongest of the elements prevails, all things shall be turned into fire. But our belief is, that the Word shall prevail over the entire rational creation, and change every soul into his own perfection...for although in the diseases and wounds of the body, there are some which no medical skill can cure, yet we hold that in the mind there is no evil so strong that it may not be overcome by the Supreme Word and God. For stronger than all the evils in the soul is the Word, and the healing power that swells in Him, and the healing He applies, according to the will of God to every man. The consummation of all things is the destruction of evil...to quote Zephaniah: 'My determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kings, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger, for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy. For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord, to serve Him with one consent'...consider carefully the promise, that all shall call upon the name of the Lord, and serve Him with one consent; also that all contemptuous reproach shall be taken away, and there shall be no longer any injustice, or vain speech, or a deceitful tongue" (Celsus, 6k8, ch. 72, ANF, v.4, p. 667).

Of all the early Christian leaders, Origen rose to the top in defending the character of God against the pagan concepts of God that were beginning to penetrate. His life touched many who would become great men of God in their time. Many of their writings are lost or destroyed, but we have accounts of their lives recorded in letters from one church leader to another. St. Gregory of Thoumaturgus (c. 213-270), a church father and a disciple of Origen became bishop of Neo Caesoreia and was famous for the many miracles in his ministry. Pamphilus was also a disciple of Origen, who became head of the theological school at Caesarea. He founded the famous library which contained thousands of Christian writings.

St. Athanasius, the Archbishop of Alexandria was also a student of Origen and defends him as orthodox. Athanasius nominated Didymus the Blind as president of the school of Alexandria. Didymus was a strong believer in the "Restitution of All Things." "Didymus was a zealous Universalist who explicitly endorsed Origen's opinion on the conversion of devils" (A Dictionary of the Bible, Hastings, publ. By Scribner, 1963). St. Jerome says of him, "Didymus surpassed all of his day in knowledge of the Scriptures."

The highly acclaimed Didymus writes: "Mankind, being reclaimed from their sins..are to be subjected to Christ in the fullness of the dispensation instituted for the salvation of all" (Comm. in 1 Peter 3).

St. Gregory of Nyssa (332-398), a bishop and a leading theologian says in his Catechetical Orations: "Our Lord is the One who delivers man (all men), and who heals the inventor of evil himself."

As one can see, one of the greatest strengths of the early church was their strong faith in a God who can do what appears to the modern Christian as impossible.

Jerome (no less!) says this next man, Titus, bishop of Bostra was, "one of the most important church writers of his time." Titus writes: [jesus]"Abyss of hell is, indeed, the place of torment; but it is not eternal, nor did it exist in the original constitution of nature. It was made afterward, as a remedy for sinners, that it might cure them. And the punishments are holy, as they are remedial and salutary in their effect on transgressors; for they are inflicted not to preserve them in their wickedness but to make them cease from their wickedness. The anguish of their suffering compels them to break off their vices"[/jesus] (Lib. 1, ch. 32).

Next we have Diodore (c. 390), bishop of Tarsus and bishop of Jerusalem. In McClintock-Strong's Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature (publ. Baker Book, 1969), we read of Diodore: "A teacher of great repute in the school at Antioch, and afterwards bishop of Jerusalem, was also a Universalist, who, in opposition to the then general prevalence of allegorical interpretation, strictly adhered to the natural import of the text in his many commentaries on the Scriptures. He defended Universalism on the ground that the divine mercy far exceeds all the effects and all the deserts of sin."

Diodore wrote:[jesus] "For the wicked are punished, not perpetual, but they are to be tormented for a certain brief period...according to the amount of malice in their works. They shall therefore suffer punishment for a short space, but immortal blessedness, having no end awaits them. The resurrection, therefore is regarded as a blessing not only to the good but also to the evil."[/jesus]

Here we see that leaders who used allegorical interpretation of the Scriptures and leaders who used literal interpretation of the Scriptures both came to the conclusive decision based on Scripture that eternal punishment was not scriptural!

McClintock-Strong's Cyclopedia of Biblical Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature has this to say about the next church leader of the early church:

"Theodore, who is called the crown and climax of the school of Antioch and whose writings were textbooks in the school of Eastern Syria, was a prominent and influential Universalist. His theory was that sin is an incidental part of the development and education of the human race; that while some are more involved in it than others, God will overrule it to the final establishment of all in good. He is the reputed author of the liturgy used by the Nestorians, a church which at one time equaled in its membership the combined adherents of both the Greek and Latin communions. In the addresses and prayers of this liturgy Universalism is distinctly avowed."

Schaff-Herzog's Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge says that, "His influence for some centuries was more extensive than that of Augustine." Theodore, of whom the average modern Christian does not even know ever existed, has this to say:

"That in the world to come, those who have done evil all their life long, will be made worthy of the sweetness of the divine bounty. For never would Christ have said, 'Until thou has paid the uttermost farthing' unless it were possible for us to be cleansed when we have paid the debt" (quoted from Christ Triumphant by Thomas Allin). Of John Cassian (c. 360-435), the Schaff-Herzog encyclopedia says: "Under the instruction of these great teachers (i.e. Theodore of Mopsuestia and John Cassian, etc.) many theologians believed in universal salvation; and indeed the whole Eastern Church until after 500 A.D. was inclined to it."

Theodoret the Blessed (c. 393-466), was consecrated bishop of Cyrrhus in Syria against his will. He was also a historian and continued the historian Eusibius's work down to 428. McClintock-Strong says that he was, "a pupil of Theodore of Mopsuestia, was also a Universalist holding the doctrine on the theory advocated by the Antiochian school."

Theodoret writes: "He shews the reason of penalty, for the Lord, who loves men, chastises in order to heal, like a physician, that he may arrest the course of our sin" (Hom. in Ezech. ch. 6).

Peter Chrysologus (435), bishop of Ravenna, in a sermon on the Good Shepherd, says the lost sheep represents, "The whole human race lost in Adam," and that Christ, "followed the one, seeks the one in order that in the one he may restore all."

When one looks at the first 500 years of Christianity, not one creed even hinted at "Eternal Torment;" not one creed denied "Universal Restoration;" no church council condemned "Universal Restoration" in the first several centuries.

When one looks at the early Church's leaders and at which ones exhibited the nature of Christ's love, one will find that the vast majority embraced the "Salvation of All Mankind." When one looks at the lives of those church leaders who brought the doctrine of "Eternal Torment" into the church, we find a long string of envyings, power plays, persecutions, character assassinations, book burnings, murders, and tortures. They became like the God they created--tormentors! They exchanged the truth for a lie and brought darkness to the world--the Dark Ages. Remember them? Idolatry, corruption, rewritten history, inquisitions, crusades, relics (cutting up dead bodies of Saints and making money off of them as good luck charms), indulgences (selling certificates to sin), pogroms, witch hunts, Mary worship, corrupt popes, and torment--much torment--all in the name of Jesus Christ.

The list above is not a list of abuses of the religions of the heathen--it is a much shortened list of the horrible acts and beliefs of the church! The church became so corrupt that it declared it a sin for a believer to have a Bible! For those of you who are not Roman Catholic and feel that the above list does not pertain to your denominational church history, I want to remind you of the fact that the two leading reformators of the Protestant movement, John Calvin and Martin Luther, were great admirers of the "Champion of Eternal Torment," that is, St. Augustine. As a matter of fact, Martin Luther was an Augustinian monk, and John Calvin was the main instrument in bringing back to life the "Predestination Doctrine" of Augustine, which said that God preplanned the majority of mankind to eternal torment and there was nothing a person could do to change his lot!

Our English Bible translations still reflect the Dark Ages and not the original Spirit and Word found in the original languages of the Bible. Protestant, Catholic, Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc., theologians are making false statements (often sincerely) about the accuracy of many of our English Bible translations. But enough of the truth remains in our translations to discover what Jesus Christ and His Apostles taught. Sometimes we can learn more about the truth from what a person did not say than from what they did say. For example, if Paul was commissioned by Jesus Christ to be the Apostle to the Gentiles (everybody except the Jews), and if salvation is deliverance from hell, why did Paul, who wrote about half of the books in the New Testament, never use the word "hell" even once? Think about it!

Fortunately, for the early Christians, they did not have to weed out mistranslations of Greek words like "aion," which should have been translated "eon" or "age," but translations such as the King James translated into "eternal," "forever," "evermore," "world," and "age."

It is this kind of translation that makes the Bible say that the world has no end and at the same time say that it does have an end. The King James Bible translators were specifically told by King James not to remove the Latinisms that crept into the Bible! King James was a strong believer in the "Divine Right" of the King and he wanted to make sure that the Romish teaching remained in his Bible.

It is because of some of the above mentioned confusions that many sincere seekers "give up on Christ." I believe this generation is going to dig like no other generation ever born, and we will rediscover what made the early Christians the wonder they were. They conformed to the image of their God--All Consuming Love.

Last edited:

Polycarp

When the church apostated, she: 1) brought into herself idolatry of every kind, 2) began to teach doctrines from pagan religions, 3) burned many of the writing of some of the most noble of the Christian faith, 4) replaced humble learned leaders with power-mongers who used fear instead of love to keep order, 5) taught that lying was honorable, and 6) falsified many of the earlier church writing to conform to her new doctrines which she imported from Babylon, Persia, Greece, Rome, Egypt, and later from the four corners of the earth.

There is just one problem with your statements. None of them are true. Your false accusations are part of the usual demonization of orthodox Christianity in the first centuries in order to justify your theology. The JW's, Adventism and Armstrongism and all the cults use this exact same nonsense to justify their erroneous beliefs. While the words of Christ declare exactly the opposite of your teachings. Christ openly and boldly declared that the Church could NOT and WOULD NOT apostacize.

You must first demonize Josephus and the scriptures because they both use the exact same language and theology to speak of everlasting torment. Good luck. The volume of history is against you. You don't have an ounce of proof that the Church falsified any of the early writings. That is just bunk. They all stand in harmony with the scriptures and Josephus, the earliest of writings. Only the cults are the ones who make the claims you have.

Last edited:

logos_x

There is just one problem with your statements. None of them are true. Your false accusations are part of the usual demonization of orthodox Christianity in the first centuries in order to justify your theology. The JW's, Adventism and Armstrongism and all the cults use this exact same nonsense to justify their erroneous beliefs. While the words of Christ declare exactly the opposite of your teachings. Christ openly and boldly declared that the Church could NOT and WOULD NOT apostacize.

Look...you apparently aren't too familiar with history..even though you claim otherwise.
Are you saying that all those things did not happen? It's all a lie that there were inquisitions despotic heathen Popes, that the politics of the "church" did not become corrupt until it was obvious that reformation was needed?

It is no false accusation!

And I don't give a flyin' fig what JW's, Adventism, or Armstrongism does. This IS a false accusation to lump what I'm saying in with cults teachings to cause people to reject what I'm saying out of fear of deception.

Now..as far as there being a devilish coup de' atat within the church institution....try this on for size:

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

It's Ok if you don't like what I'm saying. But don't think I don't know what I'm talking about!

You must first demonize Josephus and the scriptures because they both use the exact same language and theology to speak of everlasting torment.

I demonized no one. I merely wrote facts about history.

They DON"T use the exact same language and theology to speak of everlating torment. They used a LATIN translation that altered the meaning of scripture compared to the original hebrew and greek. Only then did eternal conscious torment even BEGIN to be accepted, and many more centuries passed before it was enforced (under threat of excommunication or even torture/death) as the only true doctrine..and then ensued the Dark Ages.

Good luck. The volume of history is against you. You don't have an ounce of proof that the Church falsified any of the early writings.

They did cover things up pretty well.

That is just bunk. They all stand in harmony with the scriptures and Josephus, the earliest of writings. Only the cults are the ones who make the claims you have.

Only the cults....

See what a wonderful tactic this bit of wonderful rhetoric is!

"It's all bunk...only the cults believe what you do"

Using this tactic, you can really steer people any way you want them to go. Cause them to listen to no-one but those you say can be trusted.

I'll let those reading this decide what is true and what is false.

As far as it being "only the cults" that question the monterous doctrine of eternal conscious torment...let's see, shall we?

Religious men and women have often been guilty of changing the meaning of words that at one time were perfectly good words, but became sources of confusion after the theologians twisted them. Such is the word "cult".

Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Fifth edition, defines a cult:

1. "A system of worship of a deity; as, the cult of Apollo. 2. Hence: a) the rites of a religion. b) great devotion to some person, idea, or thing, esp. such devotion viewed as an intellectual fad. c) a sect."

Webster's definition is a perfect definition of every denomination of Christianity, that is, a system of worship, great devotion to a person, and a sect.

With that in mind, why do mainline Christian organizations always label those who are not in their systems "cults" meaning it in a derrogatory way, when in fact they themselves perfectly fit the true meaning of the word "cult?"

But beyond that..It is amazing to me that the defining doctrine in this instance is what is believed about Hell..and that you MUST believe in eternal conscious torment...and if you don't you are a nutball and part of a "cult".

Thousands of people in ages past HAVE asked these questions and have come to the logical Scriptural conclusion that the traditional teaching of Hell is a plain unadulterated lie of the highest magnitude. Men and women like Abraham Lincoln, Florence Nightingale, Charles Dickens, Benjamin Rush (signer of the Declaration of Independence) asked questions like the ones above and reasonably concluded that Jesus IS the Savior of the whole world, not just a piece of it. After all, how can one be called the "Savior of the world" unless one actually saves it?

Great theologians and scholars have also come to the same conclusion. Among them areWilliam Barclay, William Law, Karl Barth, Schliermacher, Bishop Westcott, Lightfoot, Canon F.W. Farrar, John A.T. Robinson, Andrew Murray and Andrew Jukes. Some of the greatest writers and poets are in the "Cloud of Witnesses" to the glorious truth of the salvation of all mankind through our glorious savior Jesus Christ. Elizabeth Browing, John Donne, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Harriet Beecher Stowe and countless more.
The list of preachers who have asked these same questions and have come to the reasonable and Scriptural truth that traditional Hell is nothing more than a great lie is endless. They were not afraid to ask their Maker some straight-forward questions. They invited the Holy Spirit promised by Jesus to lead us all into Truth to make plain to them the Truth concerning the doctrine of Hell. Men and women of all ages have asked these questions AND have received truthful answers to these questions. A man named A.C. Thomas collected some of these questions and they found themselves in a book written in the 1800's entitled: "The Key to Truth" by E. H. Lake. Isn't it time to get the Truth? Here are some of the questions sincere people from all ages have asked which brought them to the truth.

* Do you ardently DESIRE the salvation of all men?
* Is it true that God "openeth his hand and satisfieth the desire of every living thing?" -- (Ps. 145:16)
* Do you fervently PRAY for the salvation of all men? (1 Tim. 2:1)
* Do you pray in FAITH, nothing doubting? (James 1:6)
* Are you aware, "that whatsoever is not of faith is sin?" -- (Rom 14:23)
* Would God require us to pray for all men, and to pray in faith, unless He intends all men should be saved?
* If you believe endless misery to be the truth of God, why should you desire and pray that it may prove false?

+ Can the pleasure of the Almighty be contrary to his determinate will?
+ Would the infliction of endless misery afford pleasure to the Deity?
+ Can God be glorified by that which gives Him no pleasure?
+ Since Jesus "tasted death for EVERYONE," can it be true that "the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hands," if most are never saved? (Heb. 2:9)
+ If God "declares the end from the beginning," can the final destiny of mankind be contrary to His will?
+ Can endless misery be brought about contrary to the GOOD PLEASURE of the Almighty?

+ Can God WILL anything contrary to His knowledge?
+ Did God know when He created man, that a part of His creatures would be endlessly miserable?
+ If God, when He created, did not know the result of creation, is He infinite in knowledge?

o Power is the ability to do: is knowledge simply the ability to know?
o If God knew when He created man, that some would be eternally damned, did He not will this to be their doom?
o If God willed the endless misery of a part of His creatures, why is it said that "he will have all men to be saved?" -- (1 Tim. 2:4, KJV)
o If the Scriptures should testify, that God "will have all men to be damned," could we really safely assume that a part might be saved?
o If the Scriptures testify, that God "will have all men to be saved," can we safely assume that a part may be damned?

+ If God made an endless hell before He created man, did He know whether there would be any use for it?
+ If God knew there would be use for an endless hell, must He not have created some men for endless misery?
+ If God made an endless hell, was it included in the works which He pronounced "very good?" -- (Gen. 1:31)
+ If there is an endless hell, and it was not made before the creation of men, when was it made?

+ If there exists a personal devil, who made him?
+ Can there be any such thing as sin in heaven?
+ If there was sin in heaven, may not sin be committed there again?
+ If an angel of light became a devil, was not Paul in error, when he said Satan is transformed into an angel of light? -- (2 Cor 11:14)
+ As sin presupposes temptation of some sort, who tempted a holy angel to sin?
+ If an angel could sin without a devil to tempt him, may we not sin without a devil to tempt us?
+ If a holy angel was tempted to sin by surrounding evil, is heaven a holy place?
+ If an angel was tempted by evil passions, could he have been holy?
+ If an angel became a devil by sinning, was Adam's the original sin?
+ If Adam became mortal (that is, subject to death,) by sinning, must he not have been created immortal?
+ If Adam had been created immortal, could he ever have died?
+ If Adam sinned without inheriting total depravity, why should inborn depravity be assigned as the cause of our sins?
+ Would there be any more impropriety in imputing MY sins to Adam, than in imputing HIS sins to ME? (Rom. 5:12)
+ If men are totally depraved by nature, must not children be so likewise?
+ If children be totally depraved, is it true, that "of such is the kingdom of heaven?" -- (Mark 10:14)
+ Men are to be washed from their sins. If they are totally depraved, what is there to wash?
+ If evil men and seducers "wax worse and worse," (2 Tim. 3:13), can they be totally depraved at first?
+ If human reason be "carnal and delusive," why did God say, "come now and let us REASON together?" -- (Isa. 1:18)
+ If reason be delusive, why should some folks reason against the use of reason?

+ Can an effect exist without a cause sufficiently powerful to produce it?
+ If "we love God because he first loved us," is it true that we must first love HIM before He will love us?
+ If "we love God because he first loved us," is it not plain that He loved US when we did not love HIM?
+ If God loved US when we did not love HIM, is not our love to Him the EFFECT (and not the CAUSE) of His love to US?
+ Was it consistent with divine justice, to love us, when we did not love Him?
+ If God once loved us, will not that love eternally continue?
+ If the love of God is the cause which produces love in man, can anger and wrath produce the same effect?
+ Is it the revealed will of God that all men should be saved?
+ Can God will all men to be saved, knowing that a part will be forever lost?
+ If God has two wills, why is double-mindedness condemned in the Scriptures?
+ If God has two wills, why does the Bible say, "He is of one mind?"
+ If God has a secret will, how did you gain a knowledge of it?
+ Can that be a secret which has been revealed?
+ If God revealed His secret will to "the saints," why should they reveal it to "the wicked?"
+ If God under any circumstances, wills the endless misery of a human soul, in what does He differ from Satan?

o Can Jesus Christ be the Savior of any more than He actually saves?
o Can Jesus be "the Savior of the world," (1 John 4:14), if the world is not saved by him?
o Is Christ, in any sense, the Savior of unbelievers?
o If Christ is in no sense the Savior of unbelievers, why are unbelievers called upon to believe in Christ as their Savior?
o If unbelievers are not called upon to believe in Christ as their Savior, what are they to believe?
o Must not the thing to be believed, be true before it is believed?
o Must not the thing to be believed continue to be true, whether it be believed or disbelieved?
o "What if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith, [or faithfulness] of God of none effect?" -- (Rom. 3:3)
o Is it true that "God hath concluded all in unbelief that he might have mercy on all?" -- (Rom 9:32)
o Can God be "especially the Savior of them who believe," unless He is actually the Savior of all? -- (1 Tim. 4:10)

o If belief and good works in this life are essential to eternal salvation in the next, can infants be saved?
o Can the good actions of finite man merit an infinite reward?
o Can the evil actions of finite man merit infinite punishment?
o If men are saved by works, is salvation of grace?
o If one man is saved by grace, why should not all be saved in like manner?

o Is God a partial being?
o Can the faith of the Partialists (believers in Hell or annihilation) be based in the wisdom that is "full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality?" -- (James 3:17)
o Can sufficient provision be made for the salvation of all men, if some men are never saved?
o Must not sufficient provision be sufficient to subdue the will of the creature?
o Is there any other way to determine the sufficiency of the means employed, than by the accomplishment of the end designed?

+ Does not the law of God require all men to love him supremely, and their neighbors as themselves?
+ Is it true, that "not one jot or tittle of this law shall pass till all be fulfilled?" -- (Matt. 5:18)
+ Does not justice require of us the fulfilment of the law of God?
+ Will not justice be eternally violated, if the law of God is not universally fulfilled?
+ Can those who are determined eternally damned fulfil the law of love?
+ Can justice require the obedience of the sinner, and at the same time require his eternal disobedience?

+ If "whosoever offereth praise glorifieth God," (Ps. 50:23), can He be glorified by those who have no cause to praise Him?
+ If any one is rendered eternally damned, can he have any cause to praise His Maker?
+ Will God ever place some of his creatures in such a situation they cannot praise him?
+ Do you believe that endless punishment would manifest the glory of God?
+ Can you rejoice in the hope of the glory of God?
+ Would not the salvation of half of mankind glorify God more than the salvation of one-fourth?
+ Would not the salvation of nine-tenths of mankind glorify God more than the salvation of one-half?
+ Can we give "glory to God in the highest," without believing in the salvation of all men?
+ If "all have sinned, and (thus) come short of the glory of God," (Rom. 3:23), would eternal sinning mend the matter?
+ Shall "every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father?" -- (Philippians 2:11)
+ Is endless misery "good tidings of great joy which shall be to ALL people?"

+ Could man be endlessly miserable without being endlessly a sinner?
+ If sin exist eternally, can it be true that Christ was to finish the transgression, and to make and end of sin? -- (Dan. 9:34)
+ Since Jesus gave himself a ransom for all men, can he ever "see the travail of his soul and be satisfied," if endless misery is true?

+ Do you hope that endless misery is true?
+ Is "faith the substance (or foundation) of things hoped for?" -- (Heb. 11:1)
+ If endless misery is not a thing hoped for, can it be a part of the Christian faith?
+ Is it certain that one soul will be eternally lost?
+ Is it certain that one soul will be saved?
+ Is it certain that all will not be damned?
+ Is it certain that all will not be saved?
+ Can that be certain which is not decreed?
+ If it is certain that one soul will be saved, must there not be a decree concerning the salvation of a definite number?
+ If the number of the saved is definitely fixed, must not the number of the damned be equally definite?
+ If there is no certainty in relation to the final destiny of man, is not salvation a work of chance?
+ What is better chance than Atheism?

+ If God knew, when he created, what the end of each soul would be, is not that end as certain as if it was decreed?
+ Is not the merciful man always merciful to his animals?
+ Will not the merciful God be always as merciful to His creatures, as the merciful man is to his animals?
+ Is it true that the "tender mercies of the Lord are over all his works?" -- (Ps. 145:9)
+ Is it true that the Almighty is without variableness, or the shadow of turning?
+ Would there be any tender mercy in the infliction of endless misery?
+ Are the tender mercies of the Lord like unto the tender mercies of the wicked which are cruel?

+ If God is not the Father of sinners, why should sinners pray, saying, "Our Father, forgive us our trespasses (sins)?"
+ "Have we not all one Father? Hath not one God created us?" -- (Mal. 2:10)
+ If God is the Father of all men, will He do less for His children than earthly parents would do for theirs?
+ Is it true that God punishes us "for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness?" -- (Heb. 12:11)
+ Would endless punishment be for our profit?
+ Would endless punishment "yield the peaceable fruits of righteousness unto them who are exercised thereby?"

+ Can any doctrine be too good to be true?
+ Will God contend forever and be always wroth? -- (Isa. 62:16)
+ Will the Lord cast off forever? -- (Lam. 3:31-33)

+ Can one be a Christian who worships the Lord through fear of the devil?
+ Can one truly be Christian who state that if they believed in the salvation of all mankind, they would go out and sin without fearing consequences of those sins?
+ Can a person really be a Christian who says, "if all men are to be saved, what use is there in being virtuous?"
+ If "the goodness of God leads to repentance," why should His eternal wrath be preached to sinners?
+ If "the goodness of God leads to repentance," why should it not be supposed that repentance leads to the goodness of God?
+ If "the goodness of God leads to repentance," are not sinners the objects of His goodness?
+ Is not the goodness of God co-extensive and co-eternal with His wisdom and power?
+ As the wisdom of God can never change to folly, nor His power to weakness, will His goodness ever change to hatred?
+ Can God be universally and eternally good, if endless misery is true for a single soul?

+ If all men deserve endless punishment, would it not be right for God to inflict it?
+ "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" (Gen. 18:25)
+ If it would be right for God to punish all men eternally, would it not be wrong for Him not to do it?
+ Since the infliction of endless misery would be returning evil for evil, would it be right for God to inflict it?
+ If the return of evil for evil is right for God, would it not be equally right for man?

+ Since "fear has torment," and true religion is happiness, can fear produce true religion?
+ Since "perfect love casts out fear," will not fear cast out perfect love?
+ Can fear imbue the soul with perfect love?
+ Must not they who "believe and tremble," be possessed of the faith of devils?
+ Is it possible to love someone without truly personally knowing them?
+ Can a person love someone who is endlessly torturing them in a lake of fire and will not give them mercy?
+ So between life here on earth and the Lake of Fire, if Jesus doesn't personally reach someone with His love, how can a person really love Jesus back? (Rom. 5:8-10)

+ Does the belief of endless misery cause the believer to "rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory?" -- (1 Pet. 1:8)
+ Can a belief of any thing short of universal salvation, fill the soul with "joy and peace?"

+ Will not the devil and all his works be destroyed? -- (Heb. 2:14; 1 John 3:8)
+ Will not death, the last enemy, be swallowed up in victory and destroyed? -- (Isa. 25:6-8; 1 Cor. 15:26-54)

And finally:

If God is loving, merciful, wise, always gives "righteous" judgment and is all powerful and has a desire or will to save all mankind (1 Tim 2:3,4) which will come closer to the above attributes?:

A Savior of all mankind?

An eternal torturer of most?

Children, saints, truth-seekers, sinners, universalists and even atheists always get the right answer.

Pharisees, hypocrites, control freaks, hate-mongers, and other sundry snakes always get it wrong.

My conclusion that the modern church concept of God consigning the greatest majority of the human beings He created to everlasting tortures (which is NOT worthy of His honor) does not come from my wishful thinking, but from thousands of hours of studying various English Bible translations, the original languages, early church history, revelation from the Holy Spirit, as well as from a clean conscience and a sound mind. I believe that anyone who truly desires to KNOW God and to honor Him in the earth will undoubtedly come to the same conclusions I and millions of other Christians who have tasted of God's mercy have come to over the last two thousand years...that Jesus is the Savior of all mankind, as the Scriptures plainly declare(John 4:42; 1 John 4:14)…not just a few. The reasons why most Christians in this present age do not see this glorious truth are:

REASONS FOR THE DIFFERENT VIEWS

1. Failure to hold on to clear statements of God’s sovereignty, foreknowledge, power, omniscience, purpose of creation, and unconditional love.

2. Failure to believe direct statements of scripture declaring the ultimate salvation of all through the saving work of Jesus Christ.

3. Pulling scriptures out of context and putting them into an end-time scenario when, in fact, they deal with other ages. Scriptures speak of at least two other ages to come. (Eph. 2:7)

4. Inaccurate and misleading translations. Roman Catholic tradition strongly affected the first Protestant English Bibles which, in turn, adversely affected modern translations.

5. Injection of Roman\Greek concepts which are not Biblical such as the immortality of the soul into the Bible. Adam was removed from the garden lest he eat from the tree of life. He was therefore not immortal. Eternal life is found only "in" Christ, not in Adam. "In Adam all died." (1 Cor. 15:22) If Adam was immortal, how could he die?

6. Bondage to the traditions and teachings of men rather than allowing the Spirit of Truth to lead us into all truth. (John 16:13)

7. Laziness.

8. A hidden desire in many of us to have our enemies get what we feel they deserve while we get off free and clear. (Luke 9:51-56)

9. The desire of religious and government leaders to use fear to maintain control. Love cannot be perfected with fear, therefore, the church has few members whose love is perfected. Perfect love casts out fear! (1 John 4:18)

10. Satan’s power and authority to deceive.

11. Failure to see that "Love never fails," (1Cor. 13:8) His "mercy endures forever," (1 Chron. 16:41) and "mercy triumphs over judgment." (James 2:13)

12. It's not your time to see. (Acts 13:48, John 6:44)

13. Fear of persecution of men for not going along with the majority view.

14. Misunderstanding of the purpose of God's "remnant," His "chosen people."

Last edited:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Are you saying that all those things did not happen? It's all a lie that there were inquisitions despotic heathen Popes, that the politics of the "church" did not become corrupt until it was obvious that reformation was needed?

logos, do you really believe the only Christ followers back then belonged to the RCC? Do you really believe the Body of Christ (aka the Church) was then, is now, or ever has been defined soley by the RCC?

logos_x

Originally posted by Nineveh

logos, do you really believe the only Christ followers back then belonged to the RCC? Do you really believe the Body of Christ (aka the Church) was then, is now, or ever has been defined soley by the RCC?

No...I'm arguing that the RCC corrupted the original message of the Christ-followers, and that by force.

Polycarp

Look...you apparently aren't too familiar with history..even though you claim otherwise.

It is no false accusation!

And I don't give a flyin' fig what JW's, Adventism, or Armstrongism does. This IS a false accusation to lump what I'm saying in with cults teachings to cause people to reject what I'm saying out of fear of deception.

MY ANSWER: No, it is not false, it's perfectly true and you use the same arguments, exactly the same ones, they do. You all do the same demonization of Christianity to declare yourself truthful.

Now..as far as there being a devilish coup de' atat within the church institution....try this on for size:

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

It's Ok if you don't like what I'm saying. But don't think I don't know what I'm talking about!

MY ANSWER: NO! You have no idea. You don't have a clue what 2Th.2 is written about. It's you that opposes God, not us! It is you that has fallen away, not us. We don't blaspheme God, the Father, the Son or the Holy Spirit so we can claim we are right and everybody else is wrong. You do, by calling the truth handed down to us by the Father, Spoken by the Son and by the mouth of the Holy Spirit. Then you call it all some demonic teaching.

I demonized no one. I merely wrote facts about history.

MY ANSWER: No, my friend, You demonized all of Christianity. The fact that a few, very few expressed some idea of universal reconcilation does not mean that they are right and the all of Christianity is wrong. They had no authority to teach that because it was based purely on their opinion not on the truths handed down and taught by Christ and the Apostles.

They DON"T use the exact same language and theology to speak of everlating torment. They used a LATIN translation that altered the meaning of scripture compared to the original hebrew and greek. Only then did eternal conscious torment even BEGIN to be accepted, and many more centuries passed before it was enforced (under threat of excommunication or even torture/death) as the only true doctrine..and then ensued the Dark Ages.

MY ANSWER: Protestant Versions are not from the LATIN. You have no idea of what you are speaking.

They did cover things up pretty well.

MY ANSWER: No one covered up anything. That is just your wild imagination. You've never given an ounce of proof anyone covered up anything. It just goes to show, like the rest of the cults, you are willing to say anything to get some one to believe what you do.

But beyond that..It is amazing to me that the defining doctrine in this instance is what is believed about Hell..and that you MUST believe in eternal conscious torment...and if you don't you are a nutball and part of a "cult".

MY ANSWER: That's because you are. The volumes of volumes of text preserved for us from the first centuries shows you are.

My conclusion that the modern church concept of God consigning the greatest majority of the human beings He created to everlasting tortures (which is NOT worthy of His honor) does not come from my wishful thinking, but from thousands of hours of studying various English Bible translations, the original languages, early church history, revelation from the Holy Spirit, as well as from a clean conscience and a sound mind. Listed below are a few of the hundreds of books I've read or written as a result of this intense search for the truth of the matter. I believe that anyone who truly desires to KNOW God and to honor Him in the earth will undoubtedly come to the same conclusions I and millions of other Christians who have tasted of God's mercy have come to over the last two thousand years...that Jesus is the Savior of all mankind, as the Scriptures plainly declare(John 4:42; 1 John 4:14)…not just a few. The reasons why most Christians in this present age do not see this glorious truth are:

MY ANSWER: Yeah, and the JW's and the Mormons all say the same thing, you do. They are wrong and so are you.

.... 10. Satan’s power and authority to deceive.

12. It's not your time to see. (Acts 13:48, John 6:44)

13. Fear of persecution of men for not going along with the majority view.

14. Misunderstanding of the purpose of God's "remnant," His "chosen people."

MY ANSWER: Your views are typical of the Cults. Everybody is under this demon and Satan if they disagree with you. THEN YOU SAY YOUR NOT DEMOMIZING THEM!

Every bizarre cult in the world all claims, "they are the REMNANT PEOPLE" that is the only way they can account for the fact so FEW people believe them. It couldn't be that they are wrong, NO EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD IS WRONG, so they can be RIGHT. How convenient.

How convenient, that the entire world of Christianity becomes apostate, SO YOU CAN BECOME CORRECT!

How covenient, that 2,000 years of Christianity becomes evil doers, SO THAT YOU MAY BECOME RIGHTEOUS.

How covenient, that the Martyrs who suffered terrible torments to avoid the pains of hell, are all become WICKED IDOLATORS, SO YOU MAY APPEAR AS TRUTHFUL.

How convenient, that 2,000 years of biblical scholarship from one end of the earth all have to become IGNORANT AND EVERYTHING ELSE YOU CAN CALL THEM, so that YOU BECOME LEARNED.

YOU DON'T DEMONIZE?!

What is worse, is that your constant blasphemy of Christ, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit as a "Monster" . Because you abor their sacred gospel. All of this so you can promise the wicked and the unrighteous, salvation.

Just think folks, all you have to do as believe as Logos and you too, can be SPECIAL! Oh and of course, a "Remnant" . Don't you want to be a Remnant? And you'll be better than everyone else BECAUSE YOU ARE DIFFERENT.

Last edited: