Jesus SEPARATE from Jehovah; calls Jehovah "my God."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Matthew 4:10 KJV
(10) Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

John 20:28 KJV
(28) And Thomas [one of the 12 apostles] answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Thomas said unto Jesus ---- My Lord and my God.
And Jesus blessed him.

Jerry Shugart

We've amply gone over this and my commentarial view and dissertation on Titus 2:13 holds, while recognizing the Trinitarian perspective as well.

I read what you said. According to you the "glory" spoken of in this verse refers to the glory of the Lord Jesus, but it cannot be separated from God's glory:

"...while we wait for the blessed hope--the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ" (Titus 2:13).​

However, the "glory" being spoken of is specifically in regard to the glorious body of the Lord Jesus and therefore not any other "glory":

"But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body" (Phil.3:20-21).​

The following verses are also speaking of the same "appearance" and the same "glory":

"Beloved, now are we the children of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is" (1 Jn.3:2).​

"When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory"
(Col.3:4).​

So the "glory" at Titus 2:13 is referring to the "glorious body" in which we will see the Lord Jesus when He appears. To attempt to apply it to any other glory then you must pervert the Scriptures. So the "glory" spoken of here belongs exclusively to the Lord Jesus. Therefore, we can understand that when Paul speaks of that glory he is saying that it belongs to the Lord Jesus, our great God:

"...while we wait for the blessed hope--the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ" (Titus 2:13).​

Jerry Shugart

There is going to be a King appointed by God to rule the earth---"the government will come to be on his shoulder," and there will be no end of peace. That King is Jesus Christ, "mighty god," NOT Almighty God. He is a powerful, important individual, and that is what "god" means. It doesn't say that he is the Most High God.

Yes, the king is Jesus Christ who is JHWH:

"And the LORD (JHWH) shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD (JHWH), and his name one"
(Zech.14:9).​

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Dope Theology.................

Dope Theology.................

Wonderul tactic, yes....but the question here is who is the one tiring out, or exerting the most 'effort' in defense of offense manuevers, to switch things up :) - As I've shared,...to me anyways,...I see no advantage of assuming a traditional orthodox concept of the Trinity as defined by its official 'creeds' or 'church councils' OVER holding a traditional Unitarian Christology, and also recognizing there are variations and sub-catagories within Christology. God is good, and Christ is good,...no matter how you slice or dice them. What is essential would be the fundamental religious truths and principles of a moral, ethical and spiritually edifying nature, the 'essentials' of true religion itself, that are to be at the heart or foundation of one's 'theology'. While I share from a more 'Unitarian' View,(its just a point of view among others) I enjoy versatility and flexibility to know that Deity which is INFINITE, can be conceptualized or described in so many ways, as much as one can imagine or suppose, hence the many ways to conceive of the nature and constitution of Jesus (compound his personality as you wish). - no matter, the essentials of true religion always hold, and so many camps with such different beliefs, even diametrically opposed all use the same Bible to support their views, proof-texts and all. - just different fish nibbling on different food stuffs congregating to their own favorite sectors within the same pond :) - this is why I think 'sola scritpura' while seeming 'substantial' isn't so much, neither is the 'belief' in 'scriptural inerrancy'. - 'God' alone, Spirit, the spirit of truth is our ground, center, guide, leader, teacher.

'God' only is 'God'. - all that is 'begotten'....or 'born' of 'God'....is of 'God', 'God' being the 'Father' of his offspring, no matter how you describe or claim his 'Son' or 'sons' are so much 'divine' and/or so much 'human', or in another category altogether,...(angels, elementals, etc.). - they are all the progeny of 'God'. We all have one 'God' and 'Father', who is the Originator of all things and beings - all else is commentary. - choose which best fits your concept of 'God', but know that if you are a student of Truth, a disciple of the Christ,...you will remain open to consider ways in which to allow your theology to grow, expand become more refined with truth, progressive revelation, wisdom. Truth is living, dynamic,...and spiritual reality remains timeless, immortal....while our intellectual concepts and understanding may change as we grow in our comprehension of the whole.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Wonderul tactic, yes....but the question here is who is the one tiring out, or exerting the most 'effort' in defense of offense manuevers, to switch things up :)
99 of every hundred Christians are Trinitarian, Freelight. :)
- As I've shared,...to me anyways,...I see no advantage of assuming a traditional orthodox concept of the Trinity as defined by its official 'creeds' or 'church councils' OVER holding a traditional Unitarian Christology, and also recognizing there are variations and sub-catagories within Christology.
Nor do I, which is why I didn't assume anything about the Trinity, and instead became a Unitarian for a spell, which led me to Islam, which is the only major world religion that believes an essentially Unitarian Christology.
God is good, and Christ is good,...no matter how you slice or dice them. What is essential would be the fundamental religious truths and principles of a moral, ethical and spiritually edifying nature, the 'essentials' of true religion itself, that are to be at the heart or foundation of one's 'theology'. While I share from a more 'Unitarian' View,(its just a point of view among others) I enjoy versatility and flexibility to know that Deity which is INFINITE, can be conceptualized or described in so many ways, as much as one can imagine or suppose, hence the many ways to conceive of the nature and constitution of Jesus (compound his personality as you wish). - no matter, the essentials of true religion always hold, and so many camps with such different beliefs, even diametrically opposed all use the same Bible to support their views, proof-texts and all. - just different fish nibbling on different food stuffs congregating to their own favorite sectors within the same pond :) - this is why I think 'sola scritpura' while seeming 'substantial' isn't so much, neither is the 'belief' in 'scriptural inerrancy'. - 'God' alone, Spirit, the spirit of truth is our ground, center, guide, leader, teacher.
But Freelight, Unitarians believe that all Trinitarians are guilty of most high treason/blasphemy; ascribing deity to a man. Unitarianism is a lighter offense if Trinitarianism be the truth, than is Trinitarianism in the case that Unitarianism/Islam is the truth.
'God' only is 'God'. - all that is 'begotten'....or 'born' of 'God'....is of 'God', 'God' being the 'Father' of his offspring, no matter how you describe or claim his 'Son' or 'sons' are so much 'divine' and/or so much 'human', or in another category altogether,...(angels, elementals, etc.). - they are all the progeny of 'God'. We all have one 'God' and 'Father', who is the Originator of all things and beings - all else is commentary. - choose which best fits your concept of 'God', but know that if you are a student of Truth, a disciple of the Christ,...you will remain open to consider ways in which to allow your theology to grow, expand become more refined with truth, progressive revelation, wisdom. Truth is living, dynamic,...and spiritual reality remains timeless, immortal....while our intellectual concepts and understanding may change as we grow in our comprehension of the whole.
You have every right as a human being to believe and teach what you do.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You don't seem to know Jesus says that narrow is the gate that leads to life and only a few find it.
Yes, they're called Catholics, and the narrow gate is the papacy.

Notice the papacy's teaching on the commandment to honor our parents. It's only part of the confirmation that these men are highly skilled at overseeing the Church.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
She's really the only true "mega" church, when you compare her 200,000 parish churches to any other ecclesial community organization.
I'm watching you!

All trinity believers are united to cast out non-trins as non-believers. So you and protestants are one. It is humongous religion.

BTW, Trinitarians are second after Muslims.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
All trinity believers are united to cast out non-trins as non-believers. So you and protestants are one. It is humongous religion.
Everybody with faith in baptism is the Church, so I doubt that Unitarianism disqualifies someone from membership in the Body of Christ, however imperfectly they may be united/not in full communion with her shepherds.
BTW, Trinitarians are second after Muslims.
According to studies I find more credible than your source, Muslims number less than Christians by a fairly wide margin of hundreds of millions of people.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Then Trinitarians are even worse according to Jesus.
To call that a strained reading would be to . . . I can't even think of an analogy. It's like you're pulling apart a piece of bubblegum from side-to-side, and it's so stretched out that it's sagging in the middle and about to break. That's how strained your reading is.
Jesus says narrow is the gate.
The Pope is one man.
You should start to take heed of Jesus' warnings.
I am.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Enjoying Unitarian Studies......

Enjoying Unitarian Studies......

99 of every hundred Christians are Trinitarian, Freelight. :)

I would disagree, especially looking at the whole history and doctrinal development of 'Christianity', most were more Unitarian in the first/2nd century as a budding sect arising out of monotheistic/unitarian Judaism. The ensuing battles over Christology show continued Unitarian/Trinitarian conflicts in the 'crafting' of doctrine during the Arian Controversy of the 4th century onwards, while Trinitarianism progressively gained a foothold by being supported by political powers that gave the Church the support it needed to uphold what they formulated as 'orthodox' doctrine. Even today, among the whole of 'Christendom', not all subscribe to the orthodox definition of the Trinity (most do, catholic and protestants, but only because of taking on the traditional inheritance of their mother-church). Still quite a few Unitarian denominations today, of various sorts and stripes. Monotheistic Judaism, and the earliest Jesus followers were essentially Unitarian,....the Trinity was conceptualized and then 'creedalized' as something that developed over time, becoming more defined during the Arian Controversy as a matter of what the institutionalized church CHOSE to maker her 'creed'. That and the rest is 'history'. - and in a sense it is just stale 'history', because its crystallized theology, religious relics.

Nor do I, which is why I didn't assume anything about the Trinity, and instead became a Unitarian for a spell, which led me to Islam, which is the only major world religion that believes an essentially Unitarian Christology.

I dont see how you assume Islam is the only 'Unitarian' religion, Judaism most certainly is, and Christians who choose to hold to a Unitarian theology which is mainly aligning themselves with their Jewish roots. I'm more liberal to include my cosmological range within a panentheistic monism (which may include monotheistic nuances but is more metaphysical), since I enjoy the universal truth-wisdom traditions in the eastern schools too, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Sikhism, etc. There is but one universal 'Deity', one omnipresent Spirit, one substance from which all things derive and are but forms of, one irreducible essence at the heart of all reality, unconditioned, but the source from which all conditions spring. All mystics intuit and understand this primordial presence many of us call 'God' :) - in this vein I draw from the Perennial Wisdom, Theosophical schools of antiquity, esoteric teachings.

But Freelight, Unitarians believe that all Trinitarians are guilty of most high treason/blasphemy; ascribing deity to a man. Unitarianism is a lighter offense if Trinitarianism be the truth, than is Trinitarianism in the case that Unitarianism/Islam is the truth.

You're pigeonholing Unitarians and trying to fit them all into one catagory or definition
, while there is variety of views within the general scope of Unitarianism (which we may do well to go over defining later). Some hold to Jesus being wholly human attributing no divinity at all to him, others grant Jesus some measure of divine nature or sharing with divinity, either inherent and/or bestowed, but still maintain an essentially Unitarian Christology.

As I shared in the beginning, I see early Jesus followers as being Unitarian, while Trinitarianism was a later doctrinal development formulated/assumed centuries later, finally more defined in the 4th century by 'necessity' with the doctrinal DEBATES looming. We might note as well, that while a triadic concept of Father, Son and Spirit existed previously, earlier records of some church fathers and theologians shows it was but in a vague or less definitive conceptual frame (intellectually entertained to some degree), yet NOT presented as a cardinal orthodox doctrine until later centuries. Otherwise Jesus himself and his first disciples/apostles remained essentially Unitarian. Consider the historical facts, realities and beliefs of the culture of Jesus and his earliest followers.

You have every right as a human being to believe and teach what you do.

Yes I do, and I've been sharing my views, perspectives on religion and theology for some years here and elsewhere, its a wonderfully insightful and progressive journey....with no end to projects and innovations in the near and far future to come :)

Now to touch on a right or appropriate definition of Unitarianism, which will be complex as far as its meaning historically and contextually applied, the wiki article here is a good start which is mainly the Unitarian movement and its history, while there may be views within 'Non-trinitarianism' which may not be be formally classified as 'unitarian',...one must learn and differentiate between certain nuances of the term applied historically speaking and then clarify their views in debate specifically. In the meantime we can use the term 'Unitarian' to mean a monotheistic system that holds God to be singular (uni-personal), but does not accept Jesus as being 'God', - we can use traditional orthodox Judaism or Islam as an example in its formal monotheism as being 'non-trinitarian'.

Unitarianism certainly does not accept the orthodox Christian concept/belief of the Trinity as they define it. I think for simplicity sake, as long as we understand the term in its historical and theological definition and the scope it may include among various schools, we are good, beyond what we define or contest within 'discussion'. I sometimes use the term-symbol 'Unit-arian' for fun, since traditional Arianism (there are different forms) would be included as 'unitarian', although they DO ascribe divinity to Jesus as a pre-existent being (aeon, archangel, divine co-creator, messenger), the firstborn of creation, the personality thru which Jehovah created all things,....so Jesus within Arianism or its variations is 'divine' by origination and his relationship to 'God', although he is not 'The God', but a 'god', the only begotten 'elohim' within the hierarchy of God :) - and we sit back and 'eye roll' over the trins who faint over the translation in John 1:1 about the logos being a god. (I find that entertaining). I have no problems with that translation (among others), protests aside....since Jesus is certainly by his relationship to God, and his special rank and status as being specially 'begotten of Him, a 'god' (elohim), and most certainly subordinate to and the servant of God. - much of the Unitarian/Trinitarian debate as arguing over these little details is somewhat 'petty' as splitting hairs, apples and oranges, straining at gnats, and what not. But we seem to have fun at it :) - again, some mole hills are made into mountains. - and still...'God' is 'God', and His Son and sons, are His offspring. - arguments notwithstanting.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
To call that a strained reading would be to . . . I can't even think of an analogy. It's like you're pulling apart a piece of bubblegum from side-to-side, and it's so stretched out that it's sagging in the middle and about to break. That's how strained your reading is.
The Pope is one man.
I am.

suit yourself "pinhead".

Status
Not open for further replies.