Jesus did not encourage a man to put his family first

marke

For a man to put his family first in front of God is a sin and displeases God. A man is to love his family, himself, his neighbors, and strangers but never more than God. Lots of lost people put their families first but will die in their sins if they do not learn to give God the honor and respect He deserves.

Here is what Jesus said,

Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

To help understand what Jesus meant we should consider this verse:

Matthew 8

21 And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead

When God calls a sinner to Christ for salvation, if that sinner refuses to drop everything to come immediately, then there is no guarantee the sinner will ever get saved because no sinner can get saved without God first calling, and if the sinner rejects that call there is no guarantee he will call again in the future at a more convenient time for the sinner.

There is no indication Felix ever got another call to salvation after he rejected Paul's witness for a 'more convenient time.'

Acts 24:25
And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.