J.R.R. Tolkien

njspolk

cecacd9522a65799cf9edd0d3787cfd2.jpg

I am a member of the Tolkien Society and wondered if anyone else is on here or just loves Tolkien in general. I would love to regularly post a topic about his legendarium, literary criticisms, medieval literature and or his Catholicity. Let me know!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
cecacd9522a65799cf9edd0d3787cfd2.jpg

I am a member of the Tolkien Society and wondered if anyone else is on here or just loves Tolkien in general. I would love to regularly post a topic about his legendarium, literary criticisms, medieval literature and or his Catholicity. Let me know!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I love J.R.R. !!! I read The Hobbit and the Fellowship books back in Jr High

The Berean

Reading it is somehow better than the movies to me. I'm glad I read it before the movies came out. The movies are good, don't get me wrong.

Books are always better than the films IMO, especially a literary work like Lord of The Rings. When the first film came out I actually bought the entire book series. I quickly read the first 300 pages then I got sidetracked by life issues. But maybe it's time that I pull it out and read the entire series. :readthis:

shagster01

Reading it is somehow better than the movies to me. I'm glad I read it before the movies came out. The movies are good, don't get me wrong.
I saw the movies first and then read the books. I go back and forth between which is better to do first. But in the genre of fantasy I like usually to see the movie first. It helps me keep track of characters and places with weird names better when reading the book.

njspolk

Books are always better than the films IMO, especially a literary work like Lord of The Rings. When the first film came out I actually bought the entire book series. I quickly read the first 300 pages then I got sidetracked by life issues. But maybe it's time that I pull it out and read the entire series. :readthis:

It's so good. Tolkien changed my life and his work really brought me back to Christ. Or Christ brought me back to him through Tolkien rather lol :p

The Berean

It's so good. Tolkien changed my life and his work really brought me back to Christ. Or Christ brought me back to him through Tolkien rather lol :p

It amazes me how Tolkien created an entire fictional world with different cultures, different customs, different languages, entire back histories, etc.

njspolk

It amazes me how Tolkien created an entire fictional world with different cultures, different customs, different languages, entire back histories, etc.

It is. It's amazing because if a thousand years from now and Tolkien's works don't survive (I believe it will be one of the great classics of history and survive the length of time) and someone randomly finds his works, they could really be taken as a real history. Who knows, Elvish may be the next ancient Greek in liberal art universities haha