Its safer to own a gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The only game I ever played on a computer is chess.
Good game. Not as much like real life as some other games I can think of, but certainly good for stretching out your game theoretical thinking.
You just can't get it right can you?
You're the guy who wants to fill classrooms with inexperienced teachers, presumably making the professionals redundant.
Huh?
Oh really?
So you didn't click on the fact that the posted member could build any circumstances that they liked......... the scenario was open to the posted member.
All I built up is the fact that you're in a filling station shop with a crazed nutter who has shot into the ceiling, shot through 13mmAB glass and smashed a customer in the face.
And? What didn't I "click on" again?
You are in a customer queue for goodness sake, and so far you're talking like a total beginner.
Of course! Even if such a circumstance had happened to me two or three times, I'd still be "a total beginner." Such a circumstance has never happened to me. All I can do is the best I can do!

Are you saying that you're an "expert?" :confused:
You just decided to shoot him in the head one para ago, and now you're wandering off into 'try not to kill'.
Not really. I'm making the point that killing is entirely possible, along the way toward eliminating the threat, but is not the goal. If I can put one in his brain, then that's going to eliminate the threat as quickly as possible.
Yeah..... you just shot, shot and shot again in a shop full of people standing in a queue.

So what might possibly have happened when you did all that shooting in a shop full of customers?
Hearing damage.
And what should you ALWAYS have arranged for your family's protection when you acquire a gun?
Gun safety.
What do you ALWAYS arrange when you buy a motor-vehicle?
Going to filling station when it needs fuel.

northwye

"The Wild West is the the American founding myth. At least for some Americans."

Thats what historian Frederick Jackson Turner said. "The Frontier Thesis or Turner Thesis, is the argument advanced by historian Frederick Jackson Turner in 1893 that American democracy was formed by the American frontier."

I am not sure that "democracy" is the right word. "Culture" is what Turner was talking about. He was talking about a culture formed on the American frontier in the states of the Great Planes which supported the form of government the Founding Fathers envisioned, a Republic.

Later, in 1931, historian Walter Prescott Webb, in his book The Great Planes, presented another thesis about the Wild West. http://www2.austincc.edu/lpatrick/his1302/webb.html

"Thus, when Anglo-Americans hit the Great Plains in the process of westward expansion across the continent they faced a formidable barrier - an institutional chasm. As Webb states: "For two centuries American pioneers had been working out a technique for the utilization of the humid regions east of the Mississippi River. They had found solutions for their problems and were conquering the frontier at a steadily accelerating rate. Then in the early nineteenth century they crossed the Mississippi and came out on the Great Plains, an environment with which they had had no experience. The result was a complete though temporary breakdown of the machinery and ways of pioneering."

"The single-shot, manually reloaded Kentucky long rifle gave way to the Colt revolver and the Winchester carbine, much more efficient in battles on the open plains.
Forest-based cattle raising gave way to the open-range cattle drives and then to the closed-range cattle industry of ranching. Anglo-Americans incorporated much of the vaquero techniques of Mexico in order to raise cattle successfully on the Plains.
The Plains remained unfenced and open until the advent of barbed wire which was applicable to the needs of those on the Plains."

Life on the Great Planes changed the personality traits of Americans who lived there - and it changed their culture. Walter Prescott Webb claimed that the great distances and sparse population of the West encouraged self-reliance. The Great Planes, 1931.

Webb also said of the settler and cowboy on the great planes that "When he made that perfect adaptation he departed farther and farther from the conventional pattern of men, and as he diverged from the conventional pattern he became more and more unusual: He made a better copy for news-writers, artist and cartoonist" (The Great Planes, 1931, p. 245)

Webb even said that people on the Great Plains were "lawless." Many people on the Western frontier were more unconventional than those who stayed back East. A few people in the Great Plains of the 19th and early 20th centuries were outlaws, but what Walter Prescott Webb meant by the Western people being "lawless" was that they, as a culture then, were more independent and self-reliant, and
non-conformist. They were also more resourceful than the Eastern city dwellers.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You are close-minded. Anybody who disagrees with you is a "leftist" or "lying".

Pretend for a moment that my true story is actually true. What do you think of the advice?
I think it's absolutely horrible advice. It's like putting up a sign that says "Gun free zone here"

eider

I am reminded of a gentleman I knew years ago. A security consultant. There was a rash of bank robberies at the time, and one of the bank chains hired him to get some advice on what to do. One of the ideas was to hire armed guards for each branch of the bank.

Guess what his advice was?

Retrain all the staff to comply with the demands of armed robbers, plus activate alarms etc, call 911?

chair

I think it's absolutely horrible advice. It's like putting up a sign that says "Gun free zone here"

That's what he recommended.
Remember that he was hired by the bank. He's not the police. The question is: what is the wisest thing for the bank to do? The answer: nothing. The reason: relative costs.

What happened afterwards is curious. There were just a handful of these robbers (including the famous motorcycle bank robber), and the police eventually picked them up. I don't think we've had much bank robbery since.(I don't think there is much cash in banks these days anyhow)

Then terrorism picked up, and we had security guards everywhere, checking people as they went into all kinds of public places: restaurants, supermarkets, shopping malls- and banks. These guys were not all armed, but checked people before they entered the public space. I met a buddy of mine from reserve duty who did this for a while outside of a bank.

Terror has let up since then, and there are less guards like that around, but you will still be checked going into the shopping mall (metal detector and guard), theater and so on.

eider

His advice was to do nothing. Armed security guards were the absolute worst option. The reasoning was financial.(Sorry, nothing to do with being a "leftist"). If the armed guard tried to stop a robber, and there was a shoot-out, the lawsuits from the customer casualties would cost the banks far more than whatever the robber would have managed to get away with.

Hello...!
I got it right, and posted my reply further down, before I read your answer...... honest! :)

I knew the Security Manager for a huge national chain of UK bookmakers. He was called because this chain was suffering constant violence wityhin its shops. People were ripping stools out of the floor and smashing them into the security screens, howling dreadful tyhreats to the staff. The SM visited many of the betting shops as a punter and just watched what was happening. One afternoon he actually watched a punter flip and attack the teller protection screens. After the incident he knew what to do.

He required that all shop staff be retrained in customer service skills, AND customer care. All security screens were to be removed and regional staff were to visit all shops to ensure that service and care training were being applied and followed.

The attacks stopped throughout the country.

It's amazing how much more polite and helpful are when they've been trained properly, and when they haven't got a screen so that they can be rude to customers!! :)

eider

And if there had been a rash of bank robberies by a gang that also shot customers and employees Willy-nilly during the robberies?

Hello dosey!!! Where ya bin? I missed ya!!!

Dosey..... chair undoubtedly knows, but you certainly don't.

Try searching around to see if you can find out what '32mm G1S' is. It's better if you make an effort because then you might learn sumfin'.. :chuckle:

eider

Most us gun crime is black on black, so nobody cares :idunno:

Oh dosey! Your particular brand of Christian might not care, but real Christians care, dosey.
Everybody who is human cares, dosey.

Off you go and look up the stats.

eider

We call them gas stations here.
Thankyou....... I still can't remember US speak...... even after all these years on US forums!

I would have pulled out my gun, taken aim, and fired off at least 2-3 rounds at his center of mass immediately after seeing him fire off the first few shots into the ceiling, which probably would have caused most of the people to drop to the ground in fear, giving me a clear shot at him.

After he goes down, then I would proceed to make my way over to him and kick his gun away from him, tell the owner of the store to call 911, and then go around making sure no one was hurt and helping them up.

Fair enough.
I don't think you did anything wrong.....

But you may have ommitted to one thing right back when you bought that handgun.
Many US States don't care about it, and don't demand it, but to protect your loved ones, wife, kids, home and everything that you may have built up, you MUST MUST MUST take out 'All risks Indemnity cover for anything that might happen whilst carrying or shooting your handgun anywhere in your State/Country. This is a must do.

If a bullet missed, or went through, or richocheted off and into a third party, wounding, say, their thigh, then after the county CEO, the Police Chief, a State dignitary etc had been photographed with the recent hero (you) the bills would start to come in, and probably a Civil Court summons. You later find out that ambulance call out, parameds, hospital care, three operations (whatever) comes to $95,400 and apart from a brief public donation spree that soon gets bored, and you are left bankrupted because you tried to help.

If you carried out a survey of gun carriers in youir State you may find that only government officials are protected. True.... crazy, but true.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Oh dosey! Your particular brand of Christian might not care, but real Christians care, dosey.
Everybody who is human cares, dosey.

Off you go and look up the stats.

Nobody here in america cares

The democrats pretend to care, in order to get their vote, but the last eight years of bammy hasn't made a lick of difference

For example, here's the community bammy "organized": http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40514995

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Me: I need a hand gun.
Clerk: Okay. What do you need a hand gun for?
Me: Protection!
Clerk: Protection against what?
Me: Other people with guns of course.

Why are we so afraid of each other?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Me: I need a hand gun.
Clerk: Okay. What do you need a hand gun for?
Me: Protection!
Clerk: Protection against what?
Me: Other people with guns of course.

Why are we so afraid of each other?

Because the world is full of people for whom Jeremiah 17:9 was written

Status
Not open for further replies.