Its safer to own a gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My answer is not changed: it depends on what was in your heart when you used the gun.

The Bible has already established that answer. You are ignoring it on purpose. The Bible says you did not lie in wait and act in premeditation, then there is no punishment. The reason is because a man like George Zimmerman has done nothing wrong.

exminister

See what happens when you take passages out of context?

Paul isn't talking about battles or wars, or life on earth. He's talking about our eternal salvation. If God is for us, who can be against us? No one can bring any charge against us, because God Himself has justified us.

You might be the first Christian who I am aware of who believes God is not for you in this world. Here, you are on your own. He can only help you in the next. Interesting. That might explain a lot.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But then, He didn't have a sword (gun), did he.

130523170713-02-trayvon-0523-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

weieewoiew.jpg

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
And for that he deserved to die?

It's a tragedy that he died from the gunshot wounds, which he received from a man who was defending himself. If Zimmerman pulled the gun out and shot him, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that Martin was attacking and not letting up, even after the gun was pulled, and he ended up getting shot as a result.

Again, it's a tragedy that he died.

Now, had he lived, he should have been flogged for assault, and seeing as he had been using pot just hours before the incident, flogged for that as well, because he was putting himself and others at risk by intentionally losing control of his body.

No, he deserved to die because he was assaulting george zimmerman

He deserved to be flogged for assaulting Zimmerman. But he died from the gunshot wounds before he could be punished. He didn't deserve to die for assaulting the man, because that wouldn't be a just punishment.

‘If a man causes disfigurement of his neighbor, as he has done, so shall it be done to him—fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; as he has caused disfigurement of a man, so shall it be done to him. - Leviticus 24:19-20 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus24:19-20&version=NKJV

“One witness shall not rise against a man concerning any iniquity or any sin that he commits; by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established.If a false witness rises against any man to testify against him of wrongdoing,then both men in the controversy shall stand before the Lord, before the priests and the judges who serve in those days.And the judges shall make careful inquiry, and indeed, if the witness is a false witness, who has testified falsely against his brother,then you shall do to him as he thought to have done to his brother; so you shall put away the evil from among you.And those who remain shall hear and fear, and hereafter they shall not again commit such evil among you.Your eye shall not pity: life shall be for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. - Deuteronomy 19:15-21 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy19:15-21&version=NKJV

For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. - 1 Peter 2:20 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Peter2:20&version=NKJV

So George said. But George had a gun and Trayon didn't. Maybe Trayvon was defending himself from George? It can be very hard to determine ALL the facts of a case when only half of those involved are around to say what happened.

Which is why the best way to determine a matter is by 2-3 (or more) witnesses.

Let's look at the facts:
Trayvon:
1) Trayvon Martin was smoking pot hours before the incident took place.
2) Trayvon Martin had been sending texts and other messages on social media, showing off offensive gestures, marijuana plants, pictures of guns, and talking about buying a gun with his friends.
3) Trayvon Martin, in the months and days prior to the incident, had been getting into fights, getting high on pot, and been getting suspended from school.

George:
1) Was a Neighborhood Watch Captain in a gated community
2) Was patrolling a neighborhood he regularly patrolled on the night of the incident.
3) Almost a year prior to the incident, Zimmerman "participated in a citizen forum at the Sanford City Hall to protest the beating of a black homeless man by the son of a white Sanford police officer." (Wikipedia, under "Move to Retreat at Twin Lakes"

Now, Who do you think is more likely to have initiated an attack against the other? Someone who had pot in their system and had been acting aggressive in the weeks and months prior to the incident? Or someone who was living a rather normal life, even respected in his community?

I say the one who was acting aggressively and smoking pot, and therefore impaired.

He lived by the gun(sword) and he died by it.

Exactly.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He deserved to be flogged for assaulting Zimmerman. But he died from the gunshot wounds before he could be punished. He didn't deserve to die for assaulting the man, because that wouldn't be a just punishment.

His intention was to kill Zimmerman.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
It's a tragedy that he died from the gunshot wounds, which he received from a man who was defending himself. If Zimmerman pulled the gun out and shot him, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that Martin was attacking and not letting up, even after the gun was pulled, and he ended up getting shot as a result.

Again, it's a tragedy that he died.

Now, had he lived, he should have been flogged for assault, and seeing as he had been using pot just hours before the incident, flogged for that as well, because he was putting himself and others at risk by intentionally losing control of his body.

‘If a man causes disfigurement of his neighbor, as he has done, so shall it be done to him—fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; as he has caused disfigurement of a man, so shall it be done to him. - Leviticus 24:19-20 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus24:19-20&version=NKJV

“One witness shall not rise against a man concerning any iniquity or any sin that he commits; by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established.If a false witness rises against any man to testify against him of wrongdoing,then both men in the controversy shall stand before the Lord, before the priests and the judges who serve in those days.And the judges shall make careful inquiry, and indeed, if the witness is a false witness, who has testified falsely against his brother,then you shall do to him as he thought to have done to his brother; so you shall put away the evil from among you.And those who remain shall hear and fear, and hereafter they shall not again commit such evil among you.Your eye shall not pity: life shall be for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. - Deuteronomy 19:15-21 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy19:15-21&version=NKJV

For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. - 1 Peter 2:20 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Peter2:20&version=NKJV

Which is why the best way to determine a matter is by 2-3 (or more) witnesses.

Let's look at the facts:
Trayvon:
1) Trayvon Martin was smoking pot hours before the incident took place.
2) Trayvon Martin had been sending texts and other messages on social media, showing off offensive gestures, marijuana plants, pictures of guns, and talking about buying a gun with his friends.
3) Trayvon Martin, in the months and days prior to the incident, had been getting into fights, getting high on pot, and been getting suspended from school.

George:
1) Was a Neighborhood Watch Captain in a gated community
2) Was patrolling a neighborhood he regularly patrolled on the night of the incident.
3) Almost a year prior to the incident, Zimmerman "participated in a citizen forum at the Sanford City Hall to protest the beating of a black homeless man by the son of a white Sanford police officer." (Wikipedia, under "Move to Retreat at Twin Lakes"

Now, Who do you think is more likely to have initiated an attack against the other? Someone who had pot in their system and had been acting aggressive in the weeks and months prior to the incident? Or someone who was living a rather normal life, even respected in his community?

I say the one who was acting aggressively and smoking pot, and therefore impaired.

Exactly.
The problem with your analysis is that pot makes people passive, not aggressive. We do not have 2 or 3 witnesses, all we have is some circumstantial evidence from which we draw our own conclusions based on our own biases. Thus operates the legal system.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
The Bible has already established that answer. You are ignoring it on purpose. The Bible says you did not lie in wait and act in premeditation, then there is no punishment. The reason is because a man like George Zimmerman has done nothing wrong.
Of what crime are you guilty if you look at a woman with lust in your heart even tough you never touched her? That is the biblical standard God uses to judge.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You might be the first Christian who I am aware of who believes God is not for you in this world.

That's not what I meant at all. I was trying to point out the meaning of that verse.

Here, you are on your own.

God is not "on my side," I am on His.

He can only help you in the next. Interesting. That might explain a lot.

Do I believe that God will supernaturally intervene when I'm in trouble? No, and for good reason. Do I think that God does not support what I do? If what I do is evil or sinful, then of course not; but if what I do is good, then I am in His will. If God wanted to, could He intervene in this world? Sure. But He doesn't. God has done that enough, enough to show that miracles signs and wonders produce unbelief, and that's counterproductive to what He is trying to accomplish.

Can the Lord answer prayer? Does He do it all the time? No, and even when He does, it may be in a way that seems odd at the time, but later it makes sense.

"Lord, give me the power to move this mountain," will probably go unanswered, but "Lord, give me the strength and courage to deal with this thorn in my side," now that's more likely to be answered, and in a powerful way.

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. - 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Corinthians12:7-10&version=NKJV

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
"Live by the sword" means always being aggressive, not necessarily with a weapon.

See my post above.
A young man with a brain not yet fully developed, especially in the area that handles impulse control. I wonder what sort of man he might have become had he had the chance to grow up.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Of what crime are you guilty if you look at a woman with lust in your heart even tough you never touched her?

Adultery, and that is a red herring. We are talking about is it necessary or ok to use a gun to kill somebody. God himself has shown the way because idiots like you pretend you don't know right from wrong. And your hedging your answers and misdirection proves you do know, but do not care.

There is no possible way you could know his intentions.

Aside from post purging for server space, I am sure I can find you claiming the intention of others.

Where was it that night?

In Zimmerman's jacket. He tried to take it from the holster, just like the violent giant Michael Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.