ECT Israel's New Covenant and the Body of Christ

Jerry Shugart

Do Christians partake of the New Covenant mentioned here?:

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more" (Jer.31:31-34).​

God's Truth

Do Christians partake of the New Covenant mentioned here?:

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more" (Jer.31:31-34).​

Definitely!

Interplanner

Were the disciples Christians? that's the answer. All the other passages are about issues that ALL believers are concerned with.

The D'ist practice of splitting/fracturing these precious truths is pretty much dementia.

Last edited:

Interplanner

The top paragraph was saying that the issues of Heb 9-10 are for all believers to be concerned with.

This is the fantasy of D'ism: that Heb 9-10 is not for all believers. That there are 2 gospels, 2 crucifixions, 2 final sacrifices, 2 atonements, 2 everything, so that they don't have to read Heb 9-10 in plain meaning.

northwye

I don't believe that the founders of dispensationalism would have agreed that Christians, since the Cross and the Day of Pentecost, are not under the New Covenant.

But saying there are no New Testament texts which point to the New Covenant being established in the First Century is consistent with the very peculiar dispensationalist "Hermeneutic." And here is a verse relevant to this dispensationalist Hermeneutic: "Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Corinthians 3: 6

Dispensationalists get the idea that they should support Old Covenant Israel and the Old Covenant, and so if a verse in the New Testament is just a little subtle or nuanced, they decide that such a subtle text is not of the letter, and so does not say that the New Covenant was established in the First Century, which is a certain implication of a number of texts.

Here is a text that tells us about the two covenants and assumes we know that the New Covenant was established as the second covenant: "For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
23. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
24. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
25. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
26. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all." Galatians 4: 22-26

Paul is subtle in talking about the second covenant here in Galatians 4: 22-26 He calls it Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. He is talking about the two covenants in Galatians 4: 22-26, and he gets into explaining the spiritual differences between the two covenants in Galatians 4: 26, saying that the New Jerusalem is free of bondage, is above, or spiritual, and is the mother of us all, that is, New Jerusalem is the mother of us all who are God's elect. Galatians 4: 26 also points to the New Jerusalem in Revelation 21: 2, the bride adorned for her husband, a metaphor.

Here is what Peter warns about Paul's writing: "And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16.As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." II Peter 3: 15-16 Paul does not always spell things out in explicit detail. This earning also applies to Romans 11: 25-26

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Were the disciples Christians? that's the answer. All the other passages are about issues that ALL believers are concerned with.

The D'ist practice of splitting/fracturing these precious truths is pretty much dementia.

It is destructive power wielded over souls through confusion . . .

God is not the Author of confusion.

God's Truth

So much so that a child can understand it. But they can't.

Why then does Paul say he is the minister of the New Covenant?

2 Corinthians 3:6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Right Divider

Body part
Why then does Paul say he is the minister of the New Covenant?

2 Corinthians 3:6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
Paul is NOT talking about the new covenant per Jeremiah 31.

2Cor 3:6 (KJV)
(3:6) Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

The new covenant between God and Israel is CRYSTAL CLEAR and does not get nullified by your lack of understanding of God's promises.

God's Truth

Paul is NOT talking about the new covenant per Jeremiah 31.

2Cor 3:6 (KJV)
(3:6) Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

The new covenant between God and Israel is CRYSTAL CLEAR and does not get nullified by your lack of understanding of God's promises.

What New Covenant is Paul talking about?