Isn't it reasonable to doubt Young Earth Creationism?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Radio active elements, like almost all other elements, formed in the core of stars and in super novas. As the materials coalesced into planets, radio active elements were included as planets formed. At least that is the most recent theory I have heard regarding the formation of elements above iron.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Radio active elements, like almost all other elements, formed in the core of stars and in super novas. As the materials coalesced into planets, radio active elements were included as planets formed. At least that is the most recent theory I have heard regarding the formation of elements above iron.
But why the radioactivity, I thought was the question? Every element has a proportion of naturally occurring radioactive isotopes---where did that come from?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right, which is why radiometric dating is accurate. Science.
Nope. This is just you — another typical Darwinist — demanding that their ideas be accepted as facts.

Sounds like science fiction. Why are radioactive materials concentrated in continental crust? Why isn't any part of the planet pretty much as radioactive as any other part?

But why the radioactivity, I thought was the question? Every element has a proportion of naturally occurring radioactive isotopes---where did that come from?

It takes a lot of pressure and the right electrical conditions.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MennoSota

Nope. This is just you — another typical Darwinist — demanding that their ideas be accepted as facts.

Sounds like science fiction. Why are radioactive materials concentrated in continental crust? Why isn't any part of the planet pretty much as radioactive as any other part?

It's science. You work back from the present and you observe, test, measure, conclude.

Idolater

en fommySMA50FusngTaatlk
LLB
Did you know that the chamber pressure generated during a rifle firing is three times as high as 'challenger deep,' in the Mariana trench? Rifle rounds travel 800 m/s and faster, and ICBMs travel faster than rifle bullets. We would never see it coming. Or they. Whoever---or in this case, it's definitely a whomever, because they are the ones getting something done to them. They or we will not see it coming. Probably if you do see it, you're shortly dead, incinerated into ash instantly.

When you say electrical, what do you mean? Do you mean that there must be a net charge present in order to generate the characteristic radioactivity that each element naturally possesses, or just that the fundamental force electromagnetism is involved, along with the pressure?

I know of the following distinct ways that one part of the universe can attract another part of the universe. Gravitation. Van der Waals forces. Electrical attraction. Magnetic attraction. And of course, whatever of the nuclear forces is able to keep protons RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER. I don't know if you've ever calculated the force that would be required, just to counteract the electrical repulsive force, which is like pressure, occurring in every nucleus in the universe besides hydrogens, and then ponder how much additional force is required to make them stick together so tightly that it takes a NUCLEAR REACTION to separate them.

So five. Five distinct ways in which different parts of the universe can be attracted to one another. And I don't know about you, but I find myself thinking about gravitation more than any of them, mainly I suspect, because it's the only one with something called 'dark energy,' and then an entirely distinct other thing called 'dark matter,' and it's captured a part of my imagination.

Gravitation as Newton and Einstein conceived it require both dark matter and dark energy in order to have explaining power, but there is so much dark matter and dark energy required, that our gravity determinations only explain 5% of what we see in the night sky of outer space. And this stuff concerns how galaxies are orbiting each other. Galaxies are the largest objects we have identified, which means mainly they have a lot of mass, and so when two galaxies are orbiting each other, they ought to orbit even more predictably than the planets in our own solar system do, but galaxies do not do that, which means that if it is due to matter, then 95% of the matter in galaxies is hidden from our ability to detect it with anything but gravity calculations, that we are getting wrong, as proven by the galaxies orbiting patterns we're observing.

It's not exactly true that 95% of the universe is dark matter, or of a galaxy. There's more dark energy than there is dark matter. But dark energy still has mass, or something, I don't know---I don't know how or if they invoke the E = MC-squared, energy-mass equivalence, in saying that dark matter is 20-something percent, and dark energy is 70-something percent, and what we detect constitutes only 5%. Whatever it is, the impression is that there is more mystery with gravity.

Also, does relativity actually nullify gravity, that 'gravity' is 'just' the bending of 'space-time,' and so it's not a force at all? Even though it's what keeps planets from hurtling off into space, relativity says, 'NOPE. No force involved. 'Bending space-time.' I don't buy it. There's a force involved there, and if you won't admit it's force acting on the planet, at least prove that it's altering the road that the car's on, if it's not affecting the car directly, which is what I'd expect, if you told me the earth is a ball that's whipping around and around and around the sun, year after year after year after year, but it will never fling off into outer space. And it's not physically connected to the sun, except by 'space-time.' Doesn't that make 'space-time' a type of physical tether? 'Space-time' must make what we've been perceiving as distinct objects, one object. We can't see the 'space-time' bit, but if it's really there, then 'gravity' is a space-time tether. They are connected together, the way they're connected is called 'space-time.'

Space-time warps in the presence of mass. Space-time together with the objects we see in the night sky, constitutes an object, or a piece of an object; not multiple objects. The earth stays in orbit not because of a force, but because that's how the space-time is connecting together the sun and the earth, and the moon and the earth too. It's all one object.

What's the mass of space-time?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
LLB
Did you know that the chamber pressure generated during a rifle firing is three times as high as 'challenger deep,' in the Mariana trench? Rifle rounds travel 800 m/s and faster, and ICBMs travel faster than rifle bullets. We would never see it coming. Or they. Whoever---or in this case, it's definitely a whomever, because they are the ones getting something done to them. They or we will not see it coming. Probably if you do see it, you're shortly dead, incinerated into ash instantly.

When you say electrical, what do you mean? Do you mean that there must be a net charge present in order to generate the characteristic radioactivity that each element naturally possesses, or just that the fundamental force electromagnetism is involved, along with the pressure?

I know of the following distinct ways that one part of the universe can attract another part of the universe. Gravitation. Van der Waals forces. Electrical attraction. Magnetic attraction. And of course, whatever of the nuclear forces is able to keep protons RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER. I don't know if you've ever calculated the force that would be required, just to counteract the electrical repulsive force, which is like pressure, occurring in every nucleus in the universe besides hydrogens, and then ponder how much additional force is required to make them stick together so tightly that it takes a NUCLEAR REACTION to separate them.

So five. Five distinct ways in which different parts of the universe can be attracted to one another. And I don't know about you, but I find myself thinking about gravitation more than any of them, mainly I suspect, because it's the only one with something called 'dark energy,' and then an entirely distinct other thing called 'dark matter,' and it's captured a part of my imagination.

Gravitation as Newton and Einstein conceived it require both dark matter and dark energy in order to have explaining power, but there is so much dark matter and dark energy required, that our gravity determinations only explain 5% of what we see in the night sky of outer space. And this stuff concerns how galaxies are orbiting each other. Galaxies are the largest objects we have identified, which means mainly they have a lot of mass, and so when two galaxies are orbiting each other, they ought to orbit even more predictably than the planets in our own solar system do, but galaxies do not do that, which means that if it is due to matter, then 95% of the matter in galaxies is hidden from our ability to detect it with anything but gravity calculations, that we are getting wrong, as proven by the galaxies orbiting patterns we're observing.

It's not exactly true that 95% of the universe is dark matter, or of a galaxy. There's more dark energy than there is dark matter. But dark energy still has mass, or something, I don't know---I don't know how or if they invoke the E = MC-squared, energy-mass equivalence, in saying that dark matter is 20-something percent, and dark energy is 70-something percent, and what we detect constitutes only 5%. Whatever it is, the impression is that there is more mystery with gravity.

Also, does relativity actually nullify gravity, that 'gravity' is 'just' the bending of 'space-time,' and so it's not a force at all? Even though it's what keeps planets from hurtling off into space, relativity says, 'NOPE. No force involved. 'Bending space-time.' I don't buy it. There's a force involved there, and if you won't admit it's force acting on the planet, at least prove that it's altering the road that the car's on, if it's not affecting the car directly, which is what I'd expect, if you told me the earth is a ball that's whipping around and around and around the sun, year after year after year after year, but it will never fling off into outer space. And it's not physically connected to the sun, except by 'space-time.' Doesn't that make 'space-time' a type of physical tether? 'Space-time' must make what we've been perceiving as distinct objects, one object. We can't see the 'space-time' bit, but if it's really there, then 'gravity' is a space-time tether. They are connected together, the way they're connected is called 'space-time.'

Space-time warps in the presence of mass. Space-time together with the objects we see in the night sky, constitutes an object, or a piece of an object; not multiple objects. The earth stays in orbit not because of a force, but because that's how the space-time is connecting together the sun and the earth, and the moon and the earth too. It's all one object.

What's the mass of space-time?
Making my head spin, mate. :chuckle:

The electrical part is demonstrated here: https://patents.google.com/patent/US8837661

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame

It is a property of certain elements. Some elements have an unstable nucleus and are attempting to achieve equilibrium. This is different than a radio active isotope of an otherwise stable element.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Sounds like science fiction. Why are radioactive materials concentrated in continental crust?
Do you have any evidence of this claim? Have men ever been able to go deeper than the crust?

Why isn't any part of the planet pretty much as radioactive as any other part?
Why isn't gold equally distributed? Why isn't silver equally distributed? Why aren't iron and lithium and mercury and aluminum and all the other elements equally distributed? When you can answer that you will know why all elements are not equally distributed.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cabinethead opens his stupid mouth again.

Do you have any evidence of this claim?
Google is your friend.

Have men ever been able to go deeper than the crust?
Have you ever been able to go deeper than kneejerk antipathy?

Why isn't gold equally distributed?
Gold deposits are formed when the water carrying them can't do so any longer. So changes to the water pressure or temperature — say in an earthquake — can see the mineral precipitate.

That's why gold is found concentrated in certain areas. The formation or deposition methods for other substances are known as well.

When you can answer that you will know why all elements are not equally distributed.

Super. :thumb:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Cabinethead opens his stupid mouth again.
Do you consider this rational discourse?

Google is your friend.
So Stripe does not know and cannot answer the question.

Have you ever been able to go deeper than kneejerk antipathy?
Deepest hole into the Earths crust is in Russia and at something over 40,00ft, it did not penetrate the crust. We have hypotheses about what radio active elements may be in the Earth's core. My question was about whether or not we have been able to test those hypotheses or not. At 40,000 feet, it does not sound like we have made it to the core just yet to take samples.

Gold deposits are formed when the water carrying them can't do so any longer. So changes to the water pressure or temperature — say in an earthquake — can see the mineral precipitate.

That's why gold is found concentrated in certain areas. The formation method for other substances are known as well.
So why wouldn't the same process work for radioactive elements?

Idolater

It is a property of certain elements. Some elements have an unstable nucleus and are attempting to achieve equilibrium. This is different than a radio active isotope of an otherwise stable element.
My understanding is that it's a property of all the elements, that every element contains a proportion of radioactive isotopes. The radioactive materials like uranium and plutonium are particularly radioactive, but each element has a tiny proportion of radioactive isotopes present, which is why atomic weights are not whole numbers, because of the weighted average of all the nuclei, including the heavier isotopes.

Best regards.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you consider this rational discourse?
Yip.

Your post was stupid beyond belief.

So Stripe does not know and cannot answer the question.
:yawn:

So why wouldn't the same process work for radioactive elements?

A process does apply to radioactive material, numbskull.

However, it is the generation of radio-isotopes that sees them concentrated in continental crust, not a process of precipitation.

Stop being stupid on purpose. :up:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Yip.

Your post was stupid beyond belief.

:yawn:

A process does apply to radioactive material, numbskull.

However, it is the generation of radio-isotopes that sees them concentrated in continental crust, not a process of precipitation.

So there are processes that would account for radioactive element dispersal. That kind of puts your original comment to rest.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So there are processes that would account for radioactive element dispersal. That kind of puts your original comment to rest.
:darwinsm:

My original comment was a challenge to your assertion that radioactive material formed in stars. If it formed in stars, how did it come to be concentrated in continental crust?

My assertion is that it formed in continental crust.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
:darwinsm:

My original comment was a challenge to your assertion that radioactive material formed in stars. If it formed in stars, how did it come to be concentrated in continental crust?

My assertion is that it formed in continental crust.

All of the elements were formed in stars. Radio active elements are found in the crust for exactly the same reason all the other elements are found in the crust. Your assertion is just that, your personal assertion. Science shows us the stars use fusion to combine hydrogen into helium and the go on to fuse the helium. During a super nova, the pressures and temperturs briefly rise to a point that is capable of fusing the heavier elements into existance. Stripes personal opinion versus years of scientific process. I'm going to have to go with what God has revealed to us using the scientific process over your personal opinions.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All of the elements were formed in stars.
The evidence says otherwise.

Radio active elements are found in the crust for exactly the same reason all the other elements are found in the crust.
Nope.

1. We're not talking about "being found," we're talking about being "concentrated in."

2. We're not talking about the crust, we're talking about continental crust.

Gold — an element — is found concentrated in areas because it precipitates out of water due to pressure or temperature changes. This is not applicable to radioactive material.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
The evidence says otherwise.

Nope.

1. We're not talking about "being found," we're talking about being "concentrated in."

2. We're not talking about the crust, we're talking about continental crust.

Gold — an element — is found concentrated in areas because it precipitates out of water due to pressure or temperature changes. This is not applicable to radioactive material.

Your additional assertions are noted but add no new or useful information. You might consider explaining hoe the radio active elements were formed in your world view.