Isn't it reasonable to doubt Young Earth Creationism?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
You've got it backwards. He explains the origin of all space debris in the solar system with the HP Theory.

Normal, except for the fact that the waters are rising at least several thousand feet above what would have been sea-level.

Third attempt:

Could you point me to a study or paper or some other material that shows what happens when pressure is removed from supercritical water? Heck, I'll even take a YouTube video...
There is no video of removing pressure from super critical water because anybody who understands the energy in supercritical water is not stupid enough to do that. I have shown you some information where supercritical fluids are rapidly expanded into a pressure vessel as part of a manufacturing. Maybe you should contact Walt and assist him in setting up an experiment to prove all us doubters wrong.

For the record, if you honestly believe that water at -459F would be "normal" you really do not have the scientific background to truly understand this topic.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I want to ask all you YEC why God did not create the cosmos, the earth, the sun, the moon and stars on Day 1. Does that not sound logical? This would automatically create light. Without the cosmos, the 2nd heaven, space, the sun and moon, what does earth hang in?
Like I say, you've got nothing convincing.

Asking questions like this does nothing to bolster the validity of your made-up ideas.

I see a totally logical reason why earth is tohu and bohu from the start, covered in water and in darkness, and why the first thing God needed to create was light. But I want you YEC to explain the logic of starting with a messed up earth, which God makes habitable in 6 days.

Logic? That is what is described. What you've created here is an argument from consequence. You don't like the implications, so you think that is reason to reject what is plainly written.

And the implications are more of your inventions. There's nothing wrong with creating matter in a chaotic state and organising it.

Your questions are nonsense.

Let us know when you've figured out what you believe and are ready to defend it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Let us know when you've figured out what you believe and are ready to defend it.
I know exactly what I believe and why I believe it. I am waiting for you yo form a coherent argument as to why I shouldn't believe it. I have been waiting since 2006 when I joined this site. Based on your responses on this thread, I suspect I will be waiting for a long time yet to come.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
There is no video of removing pressure from super critical water because anybody who understands the energy in supercritical water is not stupid enough to do that. I have shown you some information where supercritical fluids are rapidly expanded into a pressure vessel as part of a manufacturing. Maybe you should contact Walt and assist him in setting up an experiment to prove all us doubters wrong.

For the record, if you honestly believe that water at -459F would be "normal" you really do not have the scientific background to truly understand this topic.

So you're just asserting that supercritical water turns into steam when all pressure is released without providing evidence... Tell me why I should believe you again?

Show me an experiment (that has been repeated) that shows supercritical water turning into steam when the pressure is released, and I'll consider it. Until then, you're just making baseless assertions that have no value in this conversation.

The onus is still on you to show that the physics equations shown by Walt on http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/TechnicalNotes6.html are wrong. Remember, it's his theory you're challenging, not the other way around.

The fact that you have not addressed them yet tells me either A) you've looked at the page and are ignoring the explanation and continuing to assert your position as fact or B) you're not even/you haven't even looked at it yet.

I don't know which is worse, but both are intellectually dishonest.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
So you're just asserting that supercritical water turns into steam when all pressure is released without providing evidence... Tell me why I should believe you again?

Show me an experiment (that has been repeated) that shows supercritical water turning into steam when the pressure is released, and I'll consider it. Until then, you're just making baseless assertions that have no value in this conversation.

The onus is still on you to show that the physics equations shown by Walt on http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/TechnicalNotes6.html are wrong. Remember, it's his theory you're challenging, not the other way around.

The fact that you have not addressed them yet tells me either A) you've looked at the page and are ignoring the explanation and continuing to assert your position as fact or B) you're not even/you haven't even looked at it yet.

I don't know which is worse, but both are intellectually dishonest.
What would you expect 1300F water to do? Water boils at 212F. If you heat water above that and use pressure to keep it from boiling, it will remain in a liquid state. When that pressure is released, those water molecules will instantly flash to steam. Simple physics. Basic thermodynamics.

The problem is further compounded by Walt claiming random holes that open up in the crust are capable of reducing the water temperature some 1759F (1300 - (-459)). A throttling valve is not a random opening, it must have very specific dimensions to do its job. Plus Walt's are not a fixed size as he clas they are blasting materials into space. And he claims that the water is -459F which is ice! His claims make no sense at all. You champion his hypothesis, you defend it. I have stated that his idea about supercritical water violates physical laws. Get some funding together and do an experiment regarding punching a hole into a container of supercritical water and post your results for scientific scrutiny as all real scientists do. Walt's work has already been examined by that community and found wanting. Time for you guys to step up and take it to the next level of actual research.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
What would you expect 1300F water to do? Water boils at 212F. If you heat water above that and use pressure to keep it from boiling, it will remain in a liquid state. When that pressure is released, those water molecules will instantly flash to steam. Simple physics. Basic thermodynamics.

Except this isn't "basic thermodynamics" we're talking about. This is a bit more advanced.

Also, the only place where the pressure was less was at the crack in the crust that encircled the earth.

The problem is further compounded by Walt claiming random holes that open up in the crust are capable of reducing the water temperature some 1759F (1300 - (-459)). A throttling valve is not a random opening, it must have very specific dimensions to do its job. Plus Walt's are not a fixed size as he clas they are blasting materials into space.

I think you're confused as to where the "valve" is in this model.

Here's the image provided by Walt on the "Rocket Science" link I provided above (that it seems that you don't want to look at).

aa8a497127f1d00cdd91b47f61cf3cb8.jpg

The "valve" is where the yellow line is.

And he claims that the water is -459F which is ice! His claims make no sense at all. You champion his hypothesis, you defend it.

I can only defend against arguments that actually address the theory, and not your misconceptions of it.

I have stated that his idea about supercritical water violates physical laws. Get some funding together and do an experiment regarding punching a hole into a container of supercritical water and post your results for scientific scrutiny as all real scientists do.

If I could, I would. But I can't.

Walt's work has already been examined by that community and found wanting. Time for you guys to step up and take it to the next level of actual research.

Then you need to show that it has. I'm not going to take what you say as truth just because you say it's truth.

Again, here are the technical notes for how the supercritical water was ejected from the Earth.

Respond to that, show that his formulas are used incorrectly, or that his math is wrong. I dare you.

If his math is good, and his formulas are correct, then maybe, just maybe, your position isn't as tenable as his.

http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/TechnicalNotes6.html
http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/HydroplateOverview6.html#wp34468551

Derf

Take a piece of paper, and draw and label the things that are created through Genesis 1.

I think you'll find the firmaments are in places you didn't consider.

Thanks for the suggestion. What do you propose I do with that information once I get it?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestion. What do you propose I do with that information once I get it?
Compare the diagram with what the different theories (Biblically based or otherwise), and see which lines up the most with what Scripture says.

You'll find that the HPT is the one that is closest to understanding scripture.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Except this isn't "basic thermodynamics" we're talking about. This is a bit more advanced.

Also, the only place where the pressure was less was at the crack in the crust that encircled the earth.

I think you're confused as to where the "valve" is in this model.

Here's the image provided by Walt on the "Rocket Science" link I provided above (that it seems that you don't want to look at).

aa8a497127f1d00cdd91b47f61cf3cb8.jpg

The "valve" is where the yellow line is.

I can only defend against arguments that actually address the theory, and not your misconceptions of it.

If I could, I would. But I can't.

Then you need to show that it has. I'm not going to take what you say as truth just because you say it's truth.

Again, here are the technical notes for how the supercritical water was ejected from the Earth.

Respond to that, show that his formulas are used incorrectly, or that his math is wrong. I dare you.

If his math is good, and his formulas are correct, then maybe, just maybe, your position isn't as tenable as his.

http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/TechnicalNotes6.html
http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/HydroplateOverview6.html#wp34468551
IRead your own links. Walt's claim is -459F. He has made extrodinary claims, time for him to back it up with extrodinary proof. I refuse to do his job.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
IRead your own links. Walt's claim is -459F. He has made extrodinary claims, time for him to back it up with extrodinary proof. I refuse to do his job.

He's done the work. All I'm asking you to do is verify it.

Derf

I am going to deal with your main issue, which is that "all means all" with no exceptions when applied to Ex 2:11.

In the Bible, like most writing, "all" seldom means "all".

I did a concordance search of "all" and here are the first three mention in the Bible.

Gen 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be food.
Gen 2:1
Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

Lets see if "all" means all in all three verses above.

Does man have dominion over every single thing in creation? Does he dominate sharks and tigers, and elephants and every critter living in the deep ocean trenches? Most critters there, man has never seen, not to mentioned dominates. So I feel animals will kill us given half a chance, as will germs and bacteria. God did make bacteria, and until Flemming, these had dominion over mankind.

I guess my response is: Does 'all' ever mean 'all' in the bible? Just because you can find a place where it is a limited all doesn't mean it is always a limited all.
Spoiler
Since "all" is an absolute kind of word, an absolute all could be called an "all" all, here's the grammatically correct question: Are all alls all alls? :)

But besides that, why do you suppose any of your examples are examples of a limited "all"? The text was describing a state that could be described as "in progress" on the one hand or as "didn't continue" on the other.

On the one hand:
God planted a garden, but gave man responsibility for it, to "tend" it. Thus, God help in the instantiation of the dominion. But the whole world was NOT a garden. Thus, it appears that God started the dominion-taking process, and man was supposed to continue it. How else do we know this? How about two verses after your first example:
[Gen 1:28 KJV] And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Even God didn't think they already had dominion over everything. But did that mean He didn't mean "all" in vs 26? Vs 28 says He did, but it involved some work on man's part.

Thus they had to exercise the dominion He offered to them. They had to subdue the earth and make it work for them.

On the other:
If God gave them the whole earth, that included the Garden of Eden, right? And even if "all" didn't mean "all", surely you would admit that it included the Garden, right? Yet they were denied re-entry after the fall. There was a part of the earth that they lost dominion of.

Thus they didn't continue in the dominion He gave them originally.

I think your post is indicative of how you see the world--that "everything continues as it always has". Yet Peter warned against this way of thinking.(2Pet 3:4)

In light of that, let's approach your second and third examples.

In Genesis 1:29, "every" herb bearing seed is given for food. Can you eat every Angiosperm? Are not some poisonous? So "every" does not mean every, except loosely, as "all" does not mean "all" except loosely.
"Are" is a present tense verb. Yes, some "are" poisonous. Have they always been? I don't know for sure, but it's very possible that there were no poisonous plants in the beginning. After all, He called it all "very good". Maybe "very good" means that there weren't any poisonous plants or animals, or any animals that wanted to kill and eat men, like sharks and tigers.

We get a lot of our understanding of the earth of the past from fossils, but fossils are indicative of death, and we imply the life that those animals and plants lived prior to death. The one time that would be hard to talk much about today, using fossils, is a time when no animals died. If none died, then none would be leaving fossils to tell us that or how they lived.

Theoretically, then, we would have no understanding of the beginning of creation from fossils. We wouldn't know if there were poisonous plants.

Gen 2:1 says all the host of heaven were finished. Yet we see new stars forming throughout the galaxy, and we see new organisms forming in the form of mutations every day. There are many new variety of cichlid fish forming as we speak.
We have never "seen" a star form. We think we have seen the evidence that a star formed "recently", usually some thousands of years or more after the light left the source. But the view we are seeing is not like a viewing of a formation, but of the conditions we THINK are formation conditions. As far as I know, we have never seen an area of space where a star wasn't, suddenly have a star in it. We have seen the opposite, or close to opposite, where a star was, then it wasn't (or then there was a supernova there). We are implying from the data that there are star forming regions because stars we see there seem to be young.

But even if that theory is correct, when did that star first appear? Even the closest star forming region is 1500 light years away, and the stars have been there as long as we've been looking. So all of the stars must be at least 1500 years old. The currently theory suggests it takes around 10 MILLION years for a star to form. And we've been watching them for a couple of hundred years, and you think we are actively seeing stars form???

So, if God really did form the heavens and the earth in 6 days, and it looks to us like it takes 10 million years, all of the stars would appear like they were already there, which is what we see, and maybe there would be dusty regions. I think you've regressed in your explanation.

But wait a second, the standard theory picks out possible star forming regions because of new stars and dust. But if dust is clearing, ISN'T THAT EXACTLY THE SCENARIO YOU USED TO SAY THE SUN WASN'T MADE DURING THE SIX DAYS? Why do YOU get to say stars were made when dust is clearing, and the bible isn't allowed to say the sun was made when the atmosphere is clearing? (That's called a double standard.)

And these are just the first three "all"'s in the Bible. I could find exceptions to the all rule in most others. This is just the way language works.
We just did away with your limited "alls" in the first three verses. This is the way logic works.

As for considering those who disagree with me fools or heretics - I just believe we are all on a learning curve, some of us low down, and some higher up. Would one call a child a fool or heretic? I see no point in insulting those we chose to debate with. The church world is full of false doctrine. Almost every thread on TOL contains false viewpoints. Calling folks "heretics" sounds like if we had the authority of the Spanish Inquisition, we would burn "heretics" at the stake. Thank God those days are past - for now.
Agreed, but they cold come again.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Except that you've explained how this wouldn't happen.

This is why discussing things with you is a waste of time.

Random holes.
With every sentence, you expose your ignorance.

A throttling valve is not a random opening, it must have very specific dimensions to do its job.
Have you spent any time reading about the exit wound that was generated. :plain:

You champion his hypothesis, you defend it.
There is no need to defend an idea to a man who is determined to reject it.

In fact, that would be the height of folly.

Walt's work has already been examined.
:darwinsm:

Like you've demonstrated?

:mock: Cabinethead.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Post the images here. I will do the same. We should post at the same time and then compare.

You game?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Except that you've explained how this wouldn't happen.

This is why discussing things with you is a waste of time.
I have never explained any such thing.

With every sentence, you expose your ignorance.

Have you spent any time reading about the exit wound that was generated. :plain:
Exit wounds are not throttling valves capable of dropping 1759F while retaining enough energy to launch debris into orbit and still being cool water. (Read the link, these are all Walt's claims.)

There is no need to defend an idea to a man who is determined to reject it.
Or, there is no way to defend and idea that is indefensible.

In fact, that would be the height of folly.

:darwinsm:

Like you've demonstrated?

:mock: Cabinethead.

Yet I note that you have not been able to refute a single thing I've said. In fact, all you do is lie about what I said.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have never explained any such thing.
OK. :)

Exit wounds are not throttling valves.
Oh. So you did talk about it. Maybe my use of the word "explain" to describe what your posts could do was too hopeful.

Dropping 1759F while retaining enough energy to launch debris into orbit and still being cool water.
:dizzy:

The drop in temperature indicates a release of energy. That energy went into kinetics. It's pretty simple. I'm not sure how you mangled the description so badly.

Yet I note that you have not been able to refute a single thing I've said. In fact, all you do is lie about what I said.

You know nothing about a set of ideas you are determined to reject.

Engaging is a waste of time.

iouae

I guess my response is: Does 'all' ever mean 'all' in the bible? Just because you can find a place where it is a limited all doesn't mean it is always a limited all.
Spoiler
Since "all" is an absolute kind of word, an absolute all could be called an "all" all, here's the grammatically correct question: Are all alls all alls? :)

There is only one all that concerns me for now, and that is did God make all in 6 days. I see clearly not.

I see logic in the creation week which all you YEC's don't.

A parent walks into their teenager's room and the place looks tohu and bohu like a bomb has hit it and the teen is asleep in bed. First thing the parent does is draw the blinds, switch on the light to see - and then tells the teen to clean up this devastation. Which is what God did.

Also, if one were to create heavenly bodies, earth, space and all would be created first, and at the same time logically. Just like God creates all land animals one day, sea animals the next. But before God utters one word like "Let..." there is already an earth - albeit tohu and bohu.

Let's be literal and say that in Gen 1:1 God ONLY made the heaven (second heaven - or space/time) and the earth. Then God by this description made earth "without form and void" meaning a bad job. Why? Why not just create it right, right from the start? And scripture says God did not make it tohu and bohu.

Isa 45:18
For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, H8414 he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

Notice that the same word "tohu" or Strongs H8414 is used in Isa 45:18 as in Gen 1:2
And the earth was without form, H8414 and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

God DID NOT by His own words create the world "tohu".

But besides that, why do you suppose any of your examples are examples of a limited "all"? The text was describing a state that could be described as "in progress" on the one hand or as "didn't continue" on the other.
Because they ARE examples of limited all's. Find me an all that is not limited.

You make the mistake of folks who say God knows all things to include the unlimited future, which is not so. God does not even know all that I may choose to have in my next meal, because it is my choice. The Bible is FULL of examples of God not knowing what our choices will be till we make them, because God gave us free will.

On the one hand:
God planted a garden, but gave man responsibility for it, to "tend" it. Thus, God help in the instantiation of the dominion. But the whole world was NOT a garden. Thus, it appears that God started the dominion-taking process, and man was supposed to continue it. How else do we know this? How about two verses after your first example:
[Gen 1:28 KJV] And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Even God didn't think they already had dominion over everything. But did that mean He didn't mean "all" in vs 26? Vs 28 says He did, but it involved some work on man's part.

Thus they had to exercise the dominion He offered to them. They had to subdue the earth and make it work for them.

Even with all todays technology, man has not even begun to subdue the earth, let alone survey the ocean depths etc. Thus even today it is far from an all all or inclusive all.

On the other:
If God gave them the whole earth, that included the Garden of Eden, right? And even if "all" didn't mean "all", surely you would admit that it included the Garden, right? Yet they were denied re-entry after the fall. There was a part of the earth that they lost dominion of.

Thus they didn't continue in the dominion He gave them originally.

Fine, then prove my point for me. God never gave them all dominion from the start, because they were limited to living in Eden, and afterwards they were limited to outside Eden. So both cases there were parts of the earth away from their dominion.

I think your post is indicative of how you see the world--that "everything continues as it always has". Yet Peter warned against this way of thinking.(2Pet 3:4)

So now you think this prophecy refers to OEC's. What a laugh. It refers to the 5 unwise virgins who let their oil supply dwindle, because they thought the night the Lord returned would be like all past nights when He had not. BTW I am not holding my breath that Christ will return in my lifetime, because up to now all the false prophets proclaiming His imminent return have been wrong.

In light of that, let's approach your second and third examples.

"Are" is a present tense verb. Yes, some "are" poisonous. Have they always been? I don't know for sure, but it's very possible that there were no poisonous plants in the beginning. After all, He called it all "very good". Maybe "very good" means that there weren't any poisonous plants or animals, or any animals that wanted to kill and eat men, like sharks and tigers.

And now we wander off into a Terry Pratchet Diskworld where you make up rules you would like to apply to the past, without any need for evidence. Now we are fiction writing.

The non-fiction writing shows a world with world upon world of fossils all eating each other - worlds we have never seen because they are past worlds. That's called science - specifically palaeontology.

We get a lot of our understanding of the earth of the past from fossils, but fossils are indicative of death, and we imply the life that those animals and plants lived prior to death. The one time that would be hard to talk much about today, using fossils, is a time when no animals died. If none died, then none would be leaving fossils to tell us that or how they lived.

This is circular logic. If there is a fossil, it is because it died. If it died, it died before the fall, because before the fall, nothing died. SAYS WHO? Certainly not Paul. Paul said death entered the world by one man, Adam - a stretch because it entered by one Woman, and Paul referred only to human death. And even then he was stretching it because lots died before Adam and Eve died, including the animal God killed to cloth them. So one could equally say death entered because God killed an animal. But I would be lying, because animals had been killing animals forever, and were doing so outside and inside Eden before the fall.

Folks have taken Paul's "Death entered by one man" and created a whole world of fiction around this to say not one leaf fell off a tree before Adam sinned. Ellen White wrote this, that as Adam sinned, the first leaf withered and fell off a tree. Nice fiction. I like fiction now and then, and there is a lot of it on TOL.

Theoretically, then, we would have no understanding of the beginning of creation from fossils. We wouldn't know if there were poisonous plants.
By your logic/fiction, yes, that logically follows, but in reality the past is as easy to read in the rocks as old light is to read from Hubble. Scientists understand what happened.

We have never "seen" a star form. We think we have seen the evidence that a star formed "recently", usually some thousands of years or more after the light left the source. But the view we are seeing is not like a viewing of a formation, but of the conditions we THINK are formation conditions. As far as I know, we have never seen an area of space where a star wasn't, suddenly have a star in it. We have seen the opposite, or close to opposite, where a star was, then it wasn't (or then there was a supernova there). We are implying from the data that there are star forming regions because stars we see there seem to be young.

But even if that theory is correct, when did that star first appear? Even the closest star forming region is 1500 light years away, and the stars have been there as long as we've been looking. So all of the stars must be at least 1500 years old. The currently theory suggests it takes around 10 MILLION years for a star to form. And we've been watching them for a couple of hundred years, and you think we are actively seeing stars form???

So, if God really did form the heavens and the earth in 6 days, and it looks to us like it takes 10 million years, all of the stars would appear like they were already there, which is what we see, and maybe there would be dusty regions. I think you've regressed in your explanation.

But wait a second, the standard theory picks out possible star forming regions because of new stars and dust. But if dust is clearing, ISN'T THAT EXACTLY THE SCENARIO YOU USED TO SAY THE SUN WASN'T MADE DURING THE SIX DAYS? Why do YOU get to say stars were made when dust is clearing, and the bible isn't allowed to say the sun was made when the atmosphere is clearing? (That's called a double standard.)

Sorry, more Diskworld or YEC fiction. The cosmos looks like stars are forming and exploding and all the other good stuff science says is happening because stars ARE forming and exploding in supernovae, releasing heavier elements to make up elements heavier than iron, to give life. We are stardust.

We just did away with your limited "alls" in the first three verses. This is the way logic works.

I appreciate the effort you put into your post, but we did not even make a dent in my limited alls. Find me an unlimited all in the Bible.

Agreed, but they cold come again.
That's why I don't like to call Christians who are interested and trying "heretics" because it is a word suggestive of inquisition. I personally don't call YEC's heretics because it is quite possible to believe in Jesus and receive eternal life, and have a bad science education. After all, most of what we know today from palaeontology and cosmology was unknown to the early apostles.