Isn't it reasonable to doubt Young Earth Creationism?

Bee1

The claim was that evolutionary theory hasn't added to scientific progress. I provided documentation that it has. Do you have any specific reason to reject the information I provided?

Lets get through one issue at a time. I'll be more than happy to continue this line of discussion once we resolve the one above. :)
Believe it or not but I did not make that statement. I know, that my username and avatar but I did not post that statement.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
PS
I am giving you links to my sources what else you want?

Jose Fly

Believe it or not but I did not make that statement. I know, that my username and avatar but I did not post that statement.

PS
I am giving you links to my sources what else you want?

So are we resolved....evolutionary theory has indeed contributed to scientific advancement?

EDIT: Just to be clear, are you saying that someone else may have posted under your user name?

Last edited:

Bee1

So are we resolved....evolutionary theory has indeed contributed to scientific advancement?

EDIT: Just to be clear, are you saying that someone else may have posted under your user name?
No I don't think so it is possible to post under someone else. But why do you want me to admit to something I know nothing about. I am posting about the rise of man. As follows;

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170517-we-have-still-not-found-the-missing-link-between-us-and-apes

About 150 years ago, when Charles Darwin published his theory of evolution through natural selection, scientists began to accept that humans – for all our sophisticated behaviour – belong to the same family tree as all other animals.

The idea led to two inescapable conclusions. First, our species is not an only child. Somewhere out there in the natural world, there is at least one species of animal that is more closely related to humans than any other – what biologists would come to call humanity's "sister species".

Secondly, and as importantly, our species has a long-lost parent. It stands to reason that if humanity has one or more sisters, then these siblings must have shared the same parent species at some point in prehistory. Evolutionary biologists call this species the "last common ancestor" (LCA). Most people know it by a non-scientific name: the "missing link".

Scientists have been on the trail of the LCA for decades, and they still have not found it. But many are convinced that they have established enough information to make the hunt a lot easier. They think they know roughly when and where the LCA lived. They even have a reasonable idea of what it looked like and how it behaved.

Jose Fly

No I don't think so it is possible to post under someone else.
Ok, just wanted to be sure.

But why do you want me to admit to something I know nothing about.
I don't understand. You copied a statement from another website and posted it here under your name. That statement has since been shown to be false. Does that mean anything to you?

I am posting about the rise of man. As follows;
But as before, you're posting material you copied from another website. So it would be most helpful if you could clarify just what you're hoping to accomplish. Do you stand by what you post?

Stuu

No, I don't. I think it is because God gave us a soul. No other animal in this creation is as inquisitive as the human animal. I think that is because God created us in His image and that image is an inquisitive soul, in part.
Why would an omniscient god need to be inquisitive?
I think this is another philosophical BS argument.
No it isn't. To make it more cartoonishly simple, it is the difference between deciding that you will have to follow a set of instructions and complete the project of someone else to their specifications, or deciding to work on your own project.
And if my aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, etc. are not competing with your aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, etc. then my genes still stand a better chance at survival. This is not an unprecedented concept within the animal kingdom.
It's an ignorant parody of what isn't actually going on in the real world, one often promoted by creationists on behalf of their conspiracy theory.
I don't agree. I think God's creation is magnificent. It is a delicate balance between planned and random. People naturally seem to bristle at rules regarding our behavior. For some strange reason people seem to think that if God was real He would lets us do whatever we want. We don't let our children do whatever they want. Mostly because we are trying to protect them from injury and hurt. God's rules for us are the same.
In the case of your god's rules, the main threat of hurt appears to be the threatened actions of the god.
Religious organizations create their own rules for their own benefit. Sometimes those rules correspond to what God has said. More often than not, they don't.
Here we could have been, discussing the apparent beauty of the universe, but you seem to have turned it back to a petty consideration of the selfish christian obsession with the behaviours of one species of primate on just one planet in one solar system. It doesn't matter that the Andromeda galaxy is going to collide with our galaxy in 4 billion years, or that newborn babies have such brilliant adaptive strategies for making their parents look after them, as long as we know in keen detail the creepy interest the god has in which apes have sex with which other apes, and in what circumstances, or whether the god is happy with any ape that might bow down to a statue.

See why a universe created by your god could not be beautiful? It would be a petty one.
I do not expect Stephen to give me any useful information about a God whose existence he denies.
That was the useful information :)
Hawking is also speculating about the time just before the Big Bang.
That is specifically what he said was not possible!
He says nothing existed and then, quite sudden, everything existed. But because Hawkings said it, you accept it as a fact.
His name was Hawking, and it depends what you mean by suddenly. And I don't accept it as a matter of his authority.
When a Christian says the same thing you reject it as fantasy because a Christian is will to say that God did it.
Yes, that sounds like a fantasy to me, but worse, it is an assertion of magic in a case where we have a proper explanation for how it really happened.
We, at least in this point in history, are far more concerned about the accumulation of wealth than anything else.
That seems to be the standard christian answer to dwindling god belief, a strawman argument: we worship money instead. Well, I can't complain about living in poverty, obviously I have access to the internet and the basic necessities of life. But this characterisation, which springs up so often from christians has even led to people thinking the only meaning of the word materialism is the collection of money and material goods. I don't think I have done any kind of replacing of god worship with mammon worship, I hope to collect experiences that enrich my life as an African ape trying to make sense of the other apes and the universe as a whole, but I am a materialist in the sense of matter being the only thing that is real, and of course that has to extend nowdays to other things we know are real that you wouldn't call matter, but that is the principle nonetheless.

Which is why I say a depraved person might reach up and catch the hand of christianity, but he could reach a little further to the stars, and therefore not have to entertain the depravity of christianity.

And there could be an argument made for even economic materialism still being more morally defensible than christianity anyway.
I haven't found any lose threads.
No, you conceal them on the inside of your coat.
Because scripture is what God has given to us so that we can know who He is and understand what He sees as right and wrong. As you well know, scripture is by no means interpreted the same by every person who reads it. The Bible is not intended to contain absolute certain knowledge about God. It provides us direction to find God. But God wants a relationship with us so once you have found God one starts to rely more on prayer and less on printed words to develop that relationship.
I guess it was time for another statement from the meme. You had been telling me what you think for far too long there.
Tough line to walk. We have to be careful who we call enemy. A person who is actively trying to kill me or my family, I can defend myself and family with deadly force. An enemy persecuting me for my faith, that person I treat with love and respect. There are certain sexual sins that God does not tolerate. Adultery and homosexuality are not acceptable to God.
Your god is not acceptable to me then. I have friends who are gay. Any god that denies that their love for one another, expressed however they feel they want to, is a petty god worthy of condemnation for its hatred. That should be our collective enemy, the god of hating what it made.
Regardless of what is politically correct, there are certain truths within God's law that will not change.
No, because religions have no correction mechanisms.
Sorry you feel that way. I am a man of faith and believe that God exists and that He is just and loving in ways I do not fully comprehend. Believing in God does not make one illogical, but it does form a different foundation upon which reason is based.
I cannot respect faith as a basis for anything. When you talk as the meme, it looks to me like you are the kind of person whom I should very strongly distrust. When you talk as yourself, that beer you suggested sounds welcome. I think you are a clear case of the under title of Christopher Hitchens' book, 'How religion poisons everything'.
What caused the Big Bang?
There is no such thing. It is not a valid concept. You need a different word than cause. Uncaused is just as bad, because that denies that there could be mechanistic reasons relating to the properties of space-time, which of course we cannot know, because any event where matter and energy arise from borrowing from the process of inflation means there was nothing 'left from last time' (another impossible concept).
But you still have an uncaused cause, apparently. Your god can do anything you want to invent. It can do magic and just exist 'outside space-time' (another invalid concept if your god is capable of interacting with matter and energy). Any accusations made by the religious attacking Big Bang cosmology as uncaused are just bald hypocrisy.
God will not force you to be with Him if you don't wish it. God is not choosing you to burn, He chose you to be saved. If you reject that invitation then that is on your head, not God's. Yes, that is honestly how I see it. We each must make a choice and GOd honors that choice. God's justice will perfectly allow for those who never heard the Gospel.
At least in a brutal totalitarian regime the people can escape by dying. But not even that is possible in your brutal totalitarian regime, which celebrates as its central theme the killing of a human.
What I am saying is that God created everyting and knows how it works in ways that we do not. He can use His creation in ways that we cannot. I believe that God uses His creation is ways that we will learn to understand as time progresses.
I don't think you will be allowed to believe that last part. Isn't the seeking of the knowledge of man a bad thing, and isn't the original attempt to seek knowledge the whole basis of your compulsory but impossible mission of repairing your 'relationship with god'? Judeo-christianity is one big celebration of ignorance.
And all science can conclude is this is how something works. That is it. It cannot say that a God was not required nor can it say that God does not exist, it can only ever say this is the way something works. People, human hearts, at guilty of taking the next step to proclaim that because something works like this, God does not exist. Human pride, not sicence rejects God.
Another celebration of ignorance. Thank goodness the god has grown that Tree of Knowledge well out of our reach now, eh?
We are free to make any choice that is available to us. God has stated what is acceptable to Him and what is not. That does not make Him totalitarian, it makes Him just. You know the rules and cannot claim other wise. The speed limit is 65. You can go 85 but when the cop pulls you over, you cannot claim that either you didn't know what the law was or that the law doesn't apply to you because you do not agree with it.
How many ways are there to god?
You have certainly drawin your own conclusions based on what YOU think good and evil should be.
Yes, and I have used my conscience to do that. And you should be saying that my conscience is god-given. So you are telling me that I should not trust this 'divine gift'.

Stuart

Lon

It depends who 'you' are.

I'd give it 50 years at the most, before there is only a small minority of a rump of christianity, effectively irrelevant. It might not seem like that where you live, but you many not appreciate just how much of a freak the US is compared with the rest of the developed world when it comes to christianity.
You'd have to eliminate bibles, erase history, travel to all countries, and still, it'd be an impossibility. You'd have to annihilate humanity for Christianity to disappear because God exists. You are betting against God. You've no idea, but when the full number comes in, THEN it is all over. I realize this is completely beyond you. It really is like describing red to a blind man. As long as he is convinced his limited senses are adequate, he will never acquiesce red. You are that guy (not a slam, the metaphor is true).
Obviously you are welcome to a fact-free opinion that disregards the overwhelming consensus of scholars.
As are you, an amateur and these poor scholars. This is my field of study. I know what I'm talking about. You can posture without the credentials all you like. It makes not one whit of difference among theology circles. Anybody that wants to know 'can' ask me. The rest of you will have to rest on your unprofessional laurels and ad hoc websites. It is just not viable. Sorry. True story. This isn't that thread, but I have the wherewithal to put it all into a 6 foot hole.

No, that would be a form of intellectual child abuse, and an abrogation of a young person's basic right to know about what has really happened in natural history on this planet, so whether it is for the young person's general education towards being a responsible educated citizen in a democracy, or into further education in a biological science, that student must not be hamstrung by the neglect of a backward cult that believes and perpetrates lies. Every argument we hear from a school board who want to qualify the education about science that students get, to try to underplay the importance of evolution by natural selection, makes that county and that state a laughing stock around the rest of the world, and you should know that.
Sorry, in scholastic circles, your shoving indoctrination is what is considered horrible academics. Listen. If a child cannot find that a thing is best by reading and interacting with the material, then you are indoctrinating. It is a form of thought control. I've no idea what passes in your neck of the woods (country), but this is a :nono: here in the states and bad form. It is brain-washing. Kids MUST evaluate what is presented and themselves, with their parents input, decide what is the best explanation of things. Worse? Science itself is always open to correction thus you've closed that door for students and they are no longer scientists. Just followers.

Obviously there would be ways to allow students to engage, explore the concepts and understand critically how they work, but this is not a matter of anyone 'deciding for themselves' because there is no decision to be made. Unless you want to have them choose between the science of their futures and a backward conspiracy theory for the gullible and unemployable. Well, I guess creationists do find work in the US, but that's nothing to be proud of.
Hogwash. There are plenty of YEC scientists beside you doing the work. The ONLY thing you don't like about them is a theory and disagreement of origins. They are COMPLETELY able to perform and even compete with you in the marketplace and science field. COMPLETELY. No question.
There is no 'debate'. Evolution by natural selection is a factual account of natural history, and creationism isn't.
:nono: You may be an atheist (given) but you are not scientist with such prognosticating. It is brainwashing. No scientist believes science theories have no challenge. Not one of them. We'd still be flat-earth if that were true. Science is not done in a vacuum. Like its theory, it is open to influence and reinterpretation as well as proven wrong. When I was in school, 'brontosaurus' was taught. "IF" it had been presented as you postulate, I'd never trust science again. They'd have been inept for such posturing. Frankly, there is no room for it. You are talking from a frustration, but it is an unreasonable frustration and expectation. It just isn't reasonable. Your new-world will never happen and you'll remain in your frustrations for being unmoving and stagnant. For some reason, you push this hard. Science is your religion, but you deny its process by this kind of postulating. Listen: it just doesn't matter as much as you are thinking. It is 'okay' to question how old the earth is.

You've told me before that I am blind, I can't see red or something, and that it's a special thing that you can do. Why would I ask you anything, if you are so special and I am so blind?
It is like having an operation. You can be cured. I wouldn't call meeting somebody a sixth sense per say, but look: You and I are chatting. There is absolutely no 5 senses telling you I exist. For all you know, I could be a computer program. Why don't you believe that? Because it isn't reasonable. It doesn't fit expectation. For that alone, you should investigate a LOT further than you have. How can I say that? Because you've never asked me or likely anyone else how they know. I do agree, I'm different than the Thomases (disciple) out there. I believed, then saw rather than saw and believed. Jesus and God made logical sense. No, not fitting all my rationale or explanations, but viable nonetheless. Because I believed, I've seen a lot of things without confirmation bias. These things just don't happen otherwise. They just don't. If any of that is/were intriguing, you'd ask. If not, then you don't want that extra sense, whatever it is. A blind man might choose to stay blind by the same token.

So it does depend on my commitment, or is it irrelevant what commitment I make because your god might make it impossible anyway? You can't even show me that your god exists, and yet you know all about what it thinks. Time for the straightjacket?
"Red." Yep, put me in a straightjacket because I'm not blind? :think:
Outside the one believe that defines atheism, the claim that there are no gods of any kind, atheists obviously hold a range of opinions.

Atheist don't generally believe in being nailed down. That's for your lot, not ours.

Stuart

Well, I'm also particular about words. While some of them can have a broad meaning. It does mean one who believes no god exists.

genuineoriginal

I realize this is completely beyond you. It really is like describing red to a blind man. As long as he is convinced his limited senses are adequate, he will never acquiesce red. You are that guy (not a slam, the metaphor is true).

"Red." Yep, put me in a straightjacket because I'm not blind? :think:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

6days

Jose Fly said:
Again, pay attention.....I've already noted that under some circumstances, such as significant reductions in a population, reduced genetic diversity can lead to decreased fitness. But I also described how in other circumstances (e.g., antibiotic resistance), reduced genetic diversity can lead to increased fitness.

HAHA... Do you even know what you are arguing for..... or against? Or, are you just trying to get your word quota in? It seems you agree with everything I have said? ....and you agree that you mis-stated things in your previous comments?Why not just say you agree with this..."It is well established that a decrease in genetic variation can lead to reduced fitness and lack of adaptability to a changing environment."http://www.mdpi.com/1424-2818/2/1/47 "

Jose Fly

Do you even know what you are arguing for
Yep. Haven't you been paying attention? Again....

I've already noted that under some circumstances, such as significant reductions in a population, reduced genetic diversity can lead to decreased fitness. But I also described how in other circumstances (e.g., antibiotic resistance), reduced genetic diversity can lead to increased fitness.

or against?
Honestly at this point, I'm not sure what your point is. But that's to be expected when you keep dodging every attempt to get you to explain and clarify.

Why not just say you agree with this..."It is well established that a decrease in genetic variation can lead to reduced fitness and lack of adaptability to a changing environment."http://www.mdpi.com/1424-2818/2/1/47 "
Again pay attention (see above).

I also asked if you've read the full paper and what you took away from it. Did you miss that or are you just dodging again?

Bee1

Ok, just wanted to be sure.

I don't understand. You copied a statement from another website and posted it here under your name. That statement has since been shown to be false. Does that mean anything to you?

But as before, you're posting material you copied from another website. So it would be most helpful if you could clarify just what you're hoping to accomplish. Do you stand by what you post?
Yes I copy from internet ,I posted the link first so why it is news that it came from the internet. So I am not making things up without so type of validity or source. I mean you can clearly tell when something is copy & paste and when it's my words. Now copy and paste some details to support your evolution theory? Missing Link?

Jose Fly

Yes I copy from internet ,I posted the link first so why it is news that it came from the internet. So I am not making things up without so type of validity or source. I mean you can clearly tell when something is copy & paste and when it's my words.
I think you're misunderstanding. It's not that you copied from another website that's the issue. It's that what you copied has been shown to be wrong. But rather than use that as an opportunity to learn, you seem to be hiding behind "I didn't say it, I just copied it from somewhere else".

And that gives me pause as to how any further conversations with you will go. Does that make sense?

Now copy and paste some details to support your evolution theory? Missing Link?
Like I said, one issue at a time.

Bee1

I think you're misunderstanding. It's not that you copied from another website that's the issue. It's that what you copied has been shown to be wrong. But rather than use that as an opportunity to learn, you seem to be hiding behind "I didn't say it, I just copied it from somewhere else".

And that gives me pause as to how any further conversations with you will go. Does that make sense?

Like I said, one issue at a time.
I do not understand. I did not post about revolutionary theory did not contribute. I did not post about revolutionary theory did not contribute. Let that soak in cause you are trying to cloud the issue. Now where and when did you prove me wrong?

Jose Fly

I do not understand. I did not post about revolutionary theory did not contribute. I did not post about revolutionary theory did not contribute. Let that soak in cause you are trying to cloud the issue. Now where and when did you prove me wrong?
Is this, CLICK HERE, your post?

Bee1

And my answer to that from the Internet

http://magazine.biola.edu/article/10-summer/can-dna-prove-the-existence-of-an-intelligent-desi/
What would be your main argument for the evidence of intelligent design in the cell?

Well, the main argument is fairly straightforward. We now know that what runs the show in biology is what we call digital information or digital code. This was first discovered by [James] Watson and [Francis] Crick. In 1957, Crick had an insight which he called “The Sequence Hypothesis,” and it was the idea that along the spine of the DNA molecule there were four chemicals that functioned just like alphabetic characters in a written language or digital characters in a machine code. The DNA molecule is literally encoding information into alphabetic or digital form. And that’s a hugely significant discovery, because what we know from experience is that information always comes from an intelligence, whether we’re talking about hieroglyphic inscription or a paragraph in a book or a headline in a newspaper. If we trace information back to its source, we always come to a mind, not a material process. So the discovery that DNA codes information in a digital form points decisively back to a prior intelligence. That’s the main argument of the book.

And that's my argument also.

Bee1

You didn't answer my question.

I guessing here but I believe your article is talking about chemical reaction between cells or molecules and I am countering that with my piece on the same subject. Also where is your fossil record to are next of kin?

6days

Jose Fly said:
I've already noted that under some circumstances, such as significant reductions in a population, reduced genetic diversity can lead to decreased fitness.
Why has it been so difficult for you to agree to that? Previously you stated "they have lost fitness. The evolved population that has resistance is less diverse than the original population, but it is also more fit.". Perhaps you meant to say 'SOMETIMES more fit'? (Not that I would necessarily agree, but your statement would then be more honest).

And... you are agreeing with what I originally said "they have usually lost fitness. When the resistant bacteria are removed from the antibiotics, they have less fitness than the parent population. (Similar to how highly adapted island and coral populations are highly adapted and unable to survive environmental change.)
Jose Fly said:
I also asked if you've read the full paper and what you took away from it.
Have you finished wiping the egg off your face, from the time you essentially calling me a liar about reading an article you said was not available?? ��... I never claimed to have read this particular article... Just the abstract which discusses something we are now agreeing on... "It is well established that a decrease in genetic variation can lead to reduced fitness and lack of adaptability to a changing environment."

Stuu

This thread.
Post number please. I still can't tell if you know what evidence is, or not. So that's the first step, identify the post which you think contains 'evidence'.
Darwinists love declaring victory.
It is well-deserved, isn't it, for all the painstaking work done over the past century in particular, to work out what has really happened in natural history on this planet, and almost certainly in the natural histories of any other planets with life.

I'll join your celebration, Stripe. Here's to the victory that science has had over ignorance in the biological realm.

Stuart