Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

glorydaz

The Bible doesn't say "torture." It says torment.

What's the difference?

Why is separation from God not the cause of their torment, instead of God Himself?

I have never blamed God for the separation or the torment.
So why are you asking me this question?

Because they never got right with God.

Then it's for their unbelief...correct?

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. - James 1:8 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James1:8&version=KJV

That's about as poor of a use of scripture as I've seen in many a day.

Context is everything.

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.​

glorydaz

I refrained from presenting this scenario to Arty earlier in this thread because I've posed it to him a couple times before.

Based on a true story (unfortunately):

A mother and a father have two children, a boy and a girl. The boy is several years older than his sister. Their parents love both of them dearly.

The parents find out that their son has been molesting his sister, and even though they're devastated, they still love both of their children. Glory, what should the parents do?

What kind of a rabbit trail are you inviting me to enter, JR?

I'll jump. I would NOT break up the family, and send the boy off to reform school.

I would counsel them and watch them closely so the offence would not be continued.

Arthur Brain

It's one of those cases of people wanting their cake and eating it, too.
They can say, "You'll burn in hell" and then say they didn't mention torture.

For what do they burn? For their wicked ways? Or for their unbelief?

Lots of opinions, but I can argue both sides of this issue myself.
And, even worse, I can convince myself to believe both sides. :chuckle:

The semantics where it comes to torment/torture is just unreal. Like that makes any difference to a person who's suffering.

Then there's the hyperbole arguments of those who have committed heinous atrocities/simple unbelief. The "Hitler" one comes up pretty often except if it's actual lack of belief that sends someone to "hell" then a lot of the victims of such would be in the same place.

One difference is that whilst I despise the unloving attitudes of certain ilk who believe and even take glee in the prospect of the suffering of others, I wouldn't return the same in kind. I'd hope that all of mankind takes a step forward, flaws and all and have hope in something way beyond man made doctrine.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

I'll jump. I would NOT break up the family, and send the boy off to reform school.

I would counsel them and watch them closely so the offence would not be continued.

then you deny justice to the daughter

glorydaz

The semantics where it comes to torment/torture is just unreal. Like that makes any difference to a person who's suffering.

Then there's the hyperbole arguments of those who have committed heinous atrocities/simple unbelief. The "Hitler" one comes up pretty often except if it's actual lack of belief that sends someone to "hell" then a lot of the victims of such would be in the same place.

One difference is that whilst I despise the unloving attitudes of certain ilk who believe and even take glee in the prospect of the suffering of others, I wouldn't return the same in kind. I'd hope that all of mankind takes a step forward, flaws and all and have hope in something way beyond man made doctrine.

Even Hitler was a child made in the image of God.

It's hard to preach love and hate at the same time, isn't it?
But, that's exactly what happens way too often.

Arthur Brain

[MENTION=10403]Arthur Brain[/MENTION]:

Ah, the hyperbole argument again. On this plane and on the next, justice. On an emotive level it would be real easy to say fry the guy here and let him fry in the next. But then you advocate and take glee in the prospect of the average guy burning through eternity don't you?

Fail.

glorydaz

then you deny justice to the daughter

Maybe in your mind.

In fact, I would be exhibiting the forgiveness that God has shown to us all, and by protecting her from future molestation, I would be providing justice. Do you really think a sister would want her brother stoned to death? Do two wrongs make it right?

Arthur Brain

ok, so at least at some level you do understand that the wicked deserve justice :thumb:

And as per usual you've quote mined my post. Telling that you were driven to gross exaggeration when you've repeatedly shown how much you'd love to see posters here burn in hell simply for having a difference of opinion.

Lame.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Maybe in your mind.

In fact, I would be exhibiting the forgiveness that God has shown to us all, and by protecting her from future molestation,

And you would do this... How?

I would be providing justice.

Justice is letting a rapist live?

Do you really think a sister would want her brother stoned to death? Do two wrongs make it right?

Does justice depend on what the sister wants?

In other words, is the standard of justice arbitrary?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Not a rabbit trail.

I'm using an analogy to compare and contrast your decisions to God's decisions, so we can look at where they differ.

So, you would, effectively, imprison the girl with her brother to make sure he doesn't molest his sister again?

glorydaz

And you would do this... How?

Is it so difficult to know what is going on in your own household?
I had kids who grew up in my house, and I was more than able to know what was going on.
It's called watching and being aware.

Justice is letting a rapist live?

Now it's rape?
You are talking two children in the same family, correct?
Or has the story changed that much?

I do NOT believe in enforcing the Law of Moses in my household, if we're back to that again.

Does justice depend on what the sister wants?

The victim should have a say.

In other words, is the standard of justice arbitrary?

I have no idea what you mean by that. It could be anything.
I would say discretion would be required ie "discretion of the judge".