Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

glorydaz

I seriously hope that you know better than to mess with Ouija boards.

I know enough not to attribute power to people they do not have, and to evil spirits they do not have.

You mentioned seances....not me.

You're the one who claims the devil has more power than he does.
You're the one who believes every tale about flying hammers.

And you have the gall to "hope" I know better. :chuckle:

Derf

I've read Jasher, and it doesn't have anything in it about this. It's more on the earlier Israel times, and although it starts off parallel to Genesis, it starts veering off into the tall tale area. I mean where anyone reading it would say "Wait a minute, that did NOT happen..." and it's for good reason it's not considered among inspired scripture.

I am inclined to think that God could have simply told whomever he chose to finish writing this part of the book, "These are the words, write them this way..." There's precedent that God does sometimes say "write this..."

Jeremiah 36:27-28 KJV
(27) Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, after that the king had burned the roll, and the words which Baruch wrote at the mouth of Jeremiah, saying,
(28) Take thee again another roll, and write in it all the former words that were in the first roll, which Jehoiakim the king of Judah hath burned.

How confident are you that
1) You read the same book of Jasher mentioned in Joshua and 2 Sam?
2) That what you had was a complete copy of the real book of Jasher?

Certainly God said "write this" at times, but if we can't be confident of the truth of the narrative when those words aren't there, then the majority of the bible is not to be trusted. In which case our conversation and this thread are both moot, since we are basing all of our arguments on the veracity of scripture.

Hawkins

The calling of Samuel is unexpected even to the witch. The witch expects something else. However to her surprise Samuel appears. God took or hijacked that event to bring up the true Samuel to speak out. That's what I believe what could have happened.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Witch of Endor

Witch of Endor

Bottom line for me at least:

The witch of Endor did not see the "ghost" of Samuel, but gave out either a demon's counsel, or her own, though it was indeed prophetical by the will of God. God had withheld his prophetic word from Saul by legitimate means, that is through Samuel, so how unlike God would it be to now to reveal it (through the actual Samuel, no less) and especially by means He had expressly forbidden.

The dead don't actually "return" as some apparition under any circumstances. And therefore, the "Samuel" is a simulacrum, and it is named "Samuel" that because there is no better name by which to call it. There's no way to put "dittomarks" around the identifier, so we'd have to guess if it was or wasn't from other factors.

Other details from the text:
- The "vision" is only seen by the medium, so Saul is entirely reliant on her account of what she "sees". Saul doesn't "see" "Samuel" speaking, his lips moving, Saul only hears him in conversation.
- The "shade" comes "up" from the ground, like what might be expected of those gone "down" to the pit, not up to heaven. This would likely have been in line with her other lying "visions".
- "Tomorrow you and your sons will be with me." Would the real Samuel have said this, and meant heaven, where he resides? It could simply mean "Sheol" of the dead, but wouldn't the real Samuel know differently?

Again, I would rather not give necromancy any credit, rather than fear to let demons get credit for bringing bad news. God refused to let Samuel speak to Saul while he was alive. So, I find it hard to accept that in this desperate hour, after refusing to speak to him by dreams, Urim, and other prophets, God did give him a direct word from the Lord through an cursed methodology.

We need to be careful with tossing out ideas that the Bible lied to us if Samuel did not really appear to Saul and the witch of Endor. There is nothing in Scripture to make us think that God permits a return (Ecc.12:7), this passage (since it is in dispute in this thread) excepted. And, there is plenty of teachings from Scripture to make us think that such a return is never to be expected (e.g. Heb. 9:27; Job. 7:9).

Certainly, if we took this text to teach that it could happen once, then we would have to acknowledge that according to the implications, mediums can in fact call dead spirits into the world.

I expect mediums can contact demons (who is managing whom in this relationship?). But attempting to contact the dead seems not only unlawful, but also stupidly wishful and a devilish snare for the gullible.

If even once, in actual fact it took place, then how can we deny that the dead can on occasion be brought back into the world? Can the "spirits in prison" (1Pet.3:19) be furloughed? Perhaps God permits this frequently? Are there actual human ghosts? Does Mark 14:6 teach the disciples might have had a reasonable fear? Under what condition is it conceivable that God would disturb "the spirits of just men made perfect" (Heb.12:23) by sending them back into the stink of sin-pollution?

Are witches detestable because they can contact the dead, or because they are in league with the devil? He is a liar from the beginning, and the father of it. Why should we believe him that he can relay a message or convey the dead thither? The Word never gives us any reason to suppose he has this power.

It seems to me if we think it happened once, then we are thereby led to believe that the right medium can, in fact, converse with the actual dead.

Other texts...
2 Sam. 12:23 But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

I don't know, can David be absolutely certain of this? Perhaps under the proper conditions? Would God send him back to comfort David? If the Bible doesn't indicate this would never take place...?

Luke 16:26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you are not permitted, and none may cross from there to us.

Are we to suppose that they could come half way (that is, to earth) under the right permission? Why doesn't the Rich Fool ask for permission to go back himself, to warn his brothers?

We only know of embodied persons being "brought back" to the world, that is fully human seems the only way to be accessible and alive in the world.

These are all biblical issues and questions that I think deliver up enough difficulties to my mind, that I cannot help but bring to the text of 1 Samuel 28 strong doubts that Samuel himself indeed was present. And the reading of the text with these thoughts in mind only strengthens my conviction that this was not an appearance of the Samuel of history.

I do respect those who think otherwise. My main point of issue has to do with the idea that to hold another position is tantamount to denying the essential clarity of Scripture.

AMR

Rosenritter

How confident are you that
1) You read the same book of Jasher mentioned in Joshua and 2 Sam?
2) That what you had was a complete copy of the real book of Jasher?

Certainly God said "write this" at times, but if we can't be confident of the truth of the narrative when those words aren't there, then the majority of the bible is not to be trusted. In which case our conversation and this thread are both moot, since we are basing all of our arguments on the veracity of scripture.

No, I am not entirely confident that the Jasher I read was the same as the Jasher that was alluded to in scripture. If there is another Jasher God didn't take special action to make sure that it was preserved and available for us though.

Rosenritter

The dead don't actually "return" as some apparition under any circumstances. And therefore, the "Samuel" is a simulacrum, and it is named "Samuel" that because there is no better name by which to call it. There's no way to put "dittomarks" around the identifier, so we'd have to guess if it was or wasn't from other factors.

That's a very succinct way of putting it. "Ditto marks" are something we take for granted in modern syntax.

If even once, in actual fact it took place, then how can we deny that the dead can on occasion be brought back into the world? Can the "spirits in prison" (1Pet.3:19) be furloughed? Perhaps God permits this frequently? Are there actual human ghosts? Does Mark 14:6 teach the disciples might have had a reasonable fear? Under what condition is it conceivable that God would disturb "the spirits of just men made perfect"
(Heb.12:23) by sending them back into the stink of sin-pollution?

Those spirits in prison are likely fallen angels awaiting judgment, rather than ghosts of the dead. As Peter makes reference to disobedience during Noah's day, Genesis does speak of "sons of God" acting amiss, and the Old Testament elsewhere uses "sons of God" to refer to spirit angels (Job 1:6, 2:1, 38:7).

Jud 1:6
(6) And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Christ is assumed to be a "ghost" by the Disciples as He walks towards them. Christ tells the Disciples that He is not a "ghost" and encourages them to notice His actual flesh and bones, then He shows that can eat and distinguishes Himself from a disembodied "Spirit".

More specifically, Matthew 12:43 “When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none.

Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

The word "Superstition" has become all the rage over the last 200 years thanks to the idea that anything Supernatural or Unexplained is foolishness. This is a very dangerous system of belief and it is foundationial to denying that Manifestations of what are beyond our comprehension or natural world are possible.

I'm becoming more and more shocked that the clear text that is about "Samuel" is being questioned. The bible is enormously clear on the matter and there is no way to begin to address how absurd it is to even suggest that the Spiritual and Natural don't "coincide" to a degree.

If Jesus distinguishes Himself from a "ghost" to the Disciples, that's the end of it for me.

There are people that don't believe in Demonic Possession to this very day, but Christ cast Demons out. There is much to be said for taking scripture at scriptures word here.

- EE

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
No, I am not entirely confident that the Jasher I read was the same as the Jasher that was alluded to in scripture. If there is another Jasher God didn't take special action to make sure that it was preserved and available for us though.

Wouldn't you think that God maintained control of His scriptures and the very definition of "apocrypha" should be taken into account?

To the theologian of scholarly study and the majority of humankind, it means this... "biblical or related writings not forming part of the accepted canon of Scripture."

The actual meaning of the word is "Hidden" books. They were books that were not accepted as inspired by God and a majority of them were in early bibles of Greek origin, but the Hebrews never recognized them and the found books that came afterwards have so many issues that it is clear why they are pushed to the side.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Christ is assumed to be a "ghost" by the Disciples as He walks towards them. Christ tells the Disciples that He is not a "ghost" and encourages them to notice His actual flesh and bones, then He shows that can eat and distinguishes Himself from a disembodied "Spirit".

If Jesus distinguishes Himself from a "ghost" to the Disciples, that's the end of it for me.

There are people that don't believe in Demonic Possession to this very day, but Christ cast Demons out. There is much to be said for taking scripture at scriptures word here.

- EE

Definitely leaves room for the possibility. :cheers:

Derf

Num 21:3, Deut 9:19, Deut 10:10, 2 Kings 13:4 .... The word "hearkened" is there but that's not the same thing. Jonah spoke out loud in front of everyone for God to do something and God did it. Something huge, something wild, something that sounds almost crazy.

Joshua 10:12 KJV
(12) Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

That's what it means by it hasn't happened before, and has not until now. It would be like if I went out and said "Everest, begone into the Pacific" and God just did it right there, SPLASH, with a resulting tsunami.
Of course. But even to this day, I don't think anything that dynamic has happened where a man said "do this" and God did it for him.
So you agree that it is the magnitude of the event that distinguishes it from Joshua's event, coupled, I suppose, with the request. Thus, the Egyptian plagues and the Red Sea crossing might equal the magnitude, but don't have the request.

I would suggest Hezekiah's sundial regression (Is 38:8 and 2 Kings 20:8-11) as a comparable event, certainly equal or greater in category, and it was at Hezekiah's request. I say "equal or greater" because in Joshua's event, the sun stopped, but in Hezekiah's the sun actually moved backward, unless it was a trick of light. The implication, it being a sign of mighty power God offered, and Hezekiah acknowledged it as harder to regress than to progress the shadow, is that the sun really stopped and reversed course momentarily, in a timeframe that was noticeable to observers.

Plus, it has the advantage that it happened after Jasher's writings, but I don't know if it happened after Jasher was quoted in the writing of Joshua and 2 Sam.

But our disconnect is centered on whether the appearance of Samuel was of the same magnitude to prevent the raising of Samuel from being considered; your opinion is that it is. I think it is more likely, as I mentioned before, that it was the category of the event that distinguished it. Thus, I need Hezekiah's event, which I consider to be of the same category, to be outside of Jasher's, and the author of Joshua's timeframe.

Yes, and I will clarify my meaning. He would be just as unable to raise a spirit of Samuel "coincidentally" making it seems "in response to a seance" as he would be unable to regenerate a man's severed arm, who invoked the power of healing by offering a blood child sacrifice while cursing the name of Jehovah. Even under better circumstances, Jesus was unable to perform miracles of healing where their faith was lacking.
I agree with your concern here, but I question whether your perception of the events is accurate. For one thing, was it a spirit that was seen? Or was Samuel possibly raised in the flesh? The text doesn't say. The comparison might be to Elijah and Moses at the Transfiguration, though the request is missing. What were Moses and Elijah at that time? Were they spirits or flesh and blood. I don't know. But the text doesn't prevent an interpretation of actual flesh of some type, just as various theophanies in the OT were probably very real, including at least one where they ate (which Jesus seem to think showed His physical reality after His resurrection (Luke 24:41-43).

And it didn't seem to be the witch's power that did the job, as I suggested before. Our evidence is scant, but her reaction to seeing Samuel, perhaps a real, solid Samuel of flesh, knitted together for this singular occasion, was a sudden recognition of her sin and the possibility of punishment--JUST FROM SEEING SAMUEL, as far as we can tell.

I will admit that the witch took credit for Samuel's appearance in 1 Sam 28:21.
21 And the woman came unto Saul, and saw that he was sore troubled, and said unto him, Behold, thine handmaid hath obeyed thy voice, and I have put my life in my hand, and have hearkened unto thy words which thou spakest unto me.
But the narrative never gives her credit. That's the distinction I'm trying to make. If the narrative cannot be trusted here, then the narrative in other places is just as likely to be untrustworthy, including all the description of Jesus' death and resurrection, all the description of the creation of the cosmos, all the description of the plagues in Egypt, the promises of God, the Law, the Prophets, etc. AMR bewailed the loss of scriptural veracity if we call this thing Samuel; I think he has it backwards as to which position undermines scripture the most.

And notice one more thing in 28:21. "The woman came unto Saul". This seems to indicate that the woman was out of the picture while Samuel was talking. Samuel wasn't speaking through her. Thus, either it was a demon speaking directly to Saul, or it was Samuel speaking directly to Saul.

There's a flaw in there somewhere. Devils do sometimes give accurate prediction, and God is under no obligation to make the words that come from a devil's mouth not come to pass. Once you leave the safety of God, you're on your own at that point.
I'm glad you agree--I was pointing out where your logic was taking you.

I am not persuaded as such, for reasons voiced above. After the LORD refused to answer Saul by prophet or legitimate oracle, Saul went and sought out the enemies of the LORD that he was obliged to put to death, and engaged in witchcraft by performing a seance. The text does not say that the LORD intervened, or sent an angel, or a saint, and as such we should expect that this was a "normal" seance, with the results of what you would normally expect from a seance.
Yours is an argument from silence, here.

The ghost saying it was "disquieted" by Saul's act does nothing to authenticate it as being legitimate. That's exactly what you would expect a demonic apparition to say as well. If we were to assume this was the legitimate Samuel, he would have been obliged to at the very least disassociated himself from the witch... but rather he heeded her summons, and (we assume that) she even got paid.
My point there was to say that if it were a true messenger from God (as my other points were supposed to have proved), then the only option for which messenger it was, was Samuel, as a true messenger from God wouldn't pretend to be Samuel.

I don't understand you. I'm speaking of when Jesus was very hungry. Like not having eaten in forty days. The devil appears, and says "You are very hungry. If you be the Son of God, you have the power to make those stones bread. Aren't you hungry? Why not do it?" We know Jesus didn't turn the stones into bread. I'm going to assume that we are in agreement that he had the power, and he was hungry, so why didn't he?
What you said was
Ah, but you say, perhaps the LORD decided of his own will coincidentally? That's not acceptable either, for look how Jesus answered the temptation of the devil? When he was hungry, and Satan told him to make bread, he refused to avoid any appearance of obeying the suggestion.
I unconsciously unraveled your triple negative ("refused", "avoid", "any appearance") to believe you meant that Jesus did everything He could to keep from looking like He was obeying Satan. I don't think He did any more than the scripture says He did, which was to quote scripture and not turn stones to bread. There's nothing more to justify your statement.

God has no motive to help the witch in her craft. An argument that God coincidentally decided to perform a miracle seems very shaky. Given the setting, it would need a "Thus the LORD did .... such and such" for support.

Given the setting of a seance performed by a witch, it would definitely need such a declaration.
Again, this is an argument from silence, and not a very effective one in my view.

We are told that Jesus didn't speak before multitudes without parable, Matthew 13:34, Mark 4:34, which sets the default for anytime Jesus is about a multitude. So without something to indicate that Jesus is obviously using plain speech, the bible default is parable.
And thus we can completely ignore any real admonition to "love they neighbor as thyself", and to "do unto others as you would they do unto you". Perhaps try reading the "without parable" as a general rule that has exceptions, rather a hard and fast law for Jesus' public ministry.

Yes, I am saying that the passage is implicitly saying it isn't the legitimate Samuel. I understand that the Bible is expected to be read in context. But you are not correct in saying that the text has explicit statements that the spirit is legit. Here's the definition of explicit:

explicit: stated clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt.

If there was an explicit statement, there would be no room for the argument of implicitness.
I appreciate your definition. And based on that definition, I'm not sure how much more explicit the text could be, than to say:

[1Sa 28:15-16, 19-20 KJV] 15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do. 16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the LORD is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy? ... 19 Moreover the LORD will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow [shalt] thou and thy sons [be] with me: the LORD also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines. 20 Then Saul fell straightway all along on the earth, and was sore afraid, because of the words of Samuel: and there was no strength in him; for he had eaten no bread all the day, nor all the night.

Again, you could be correct, but in being correct, you undermine the whole of scripture, and thus your victory is Phyrric. If we can't trust the scripture's explicit statements here, where can we trust them?

This is veering off on tangent slightly, but as to the question of whether the sun stopped moving, or the earth stopped rotation, and all that, whether the earth moves around the sun or the sun around the earth is simply a matter of where you define your mathematical zero.
If I understand AMR's points, he did not agree with your mathematical zero distinction. I tried to continue the discussion here to keep from hijacking the thread, but the conversation lagged... I'd be interested in your thoughts on the matter.

How do you think the witch realized that she was dealing with Saul? Do you think she figured it out on her own, or was told?
I, along with some others in this thread, think that the sight of Samuel or perhaps who was with Samuel, was enough to trigger the reaction, whether surprise or dismay. There's no indication of it being verbal, and Saul's response to her was "what did you see?" She then told him what she saw.
[1Sa 28:12 KJV] 12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou [art] Saul.
[1Sa 28:13] 13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.

What about the sight was different from her normal experience? I don't know what her normal experience was, but she points out that she saw "gods" ("'elohiym") coming out of the earth. 'elohiym is translated in various ways, including God (2,346x), god (244x), judge (5x), GOD (1x), goddess (2x), great (2x), mighty (2x), angels (1x), exceeding (1x), God-ward (with H4136) (1x), godly (1x) (all KJV). I doubt "God" applies. "gods" makes little sense to me, though that seems to be a preference for several translations. "Angels" piques my fancy the most, but "judge" offers a rather interesting twist to the plot, since Samuel was a judge.

Whatever it was she saw, the fact that she saw something different from normal tells us that it wasn't her actions that caused it! Something happened she didn't mean to happen. And if she didn't do it, who did?

Well, who else involved has the power to cause "gods" or "angels" to come out out of the earth? The LORD is the only answer I can come up with. Certainly not Saul or Samuel. Perhaps the woman's familiar spirit, but again, it wasn't the normal result. What would make the familiar spirit do something abnormal?

One more thing--I recognize a disconnect with my view in that Saul was not seeing these things, at least at first. He had to ask the woman what she saw, and he used that to determine if it were Samuel. Whether Saul "perceived" Samuel in 1 Sam 28:14 with his eyes or with his understanding, I can't tell. But I doubt he would bow down to the witch. So he either bowed down to something he couldn't see or to what he perceived with his eyes was Samuel. Since it seems like the thing talked to him directly, without the witch's help, I would lean toward Saul seeing the thing represented as Samuel directly.

So that brings up the question of why didn't Saul see Samuel at the beginning. One possibility is that the witch actually had some kind of power to see something that wasn't in visual range, but when it came close enough, Saul could see it, too. What kind of power might that be? Something derived from the familiar spirit is my guess. Maybe that's why the word "seer" was used in those times, because they could see things (not necessarily future, but past and present) others could not.

This is rather long, and I apologize.

Rosenritter

If the disciples believed ghosts to be the actual person, why would they have been frightened of a ghost of Jesus? But if they understood ghosts to be apparitions of devils, then it does make sense for them to be frightened by a ghost of Jesus.

Rosenritter

The word "Superstition" has become all the rage over the last 200 years thanks to the idea that anything Supernatural or Unexplained is foolishness. This is a very dangerous system of belief and it is foundationial to denying that Manifestations of what are beyond our comprehension or natural world are possible.

I did some research on this some years ago. It is actually during the last 200 years that "the ghost was really Samuel" has become a popular view. Before that it was pretty fairly agreed upon by bible scholars and theologians that nothing but a demon arises from a demonic seance, case in point the summoning at Endor.

Rosenritter

Wouldn't you think that God maintained control of His scriptures and the very definition of "apocrypha" should be taken into account?

To the theologian of scholarly study and the majority of humankind, it means this... "biblical or related writings not forming part of the accepted canon of Scripture."

The actual meaning of the word is "Hidden" books. They were books that were not accepted as inspired by God and a majority of them were in early bibles of Greek origin, but the Hebrews never recognized them and the found books that came afterwards have so many issues that it is clear why they are pushed to the side.

Why don't you read Jasher and then you can understand what I mean when I say that it's more in the category of historical fiction and tall tale, rather than being inspired scripture... that said, I'm not sure where to find it online, I have a printed copy.

glorydaz

I did some research on this some years ago. It is actually during the last 200 years that "the ghost was really Samuel" has become a popular view. Before that it was pretty fairly agreed upon by bible scholars and theologians that nothing but a demon arises from a demonic seance, case in point the summoning at Endor.

It's convenient, isn't it, that your research came up with the same thing you claim?

There is truly nothing new under the sun. People see what they want to see.

Rosenritter

... our disconnect is centered on whether the appearance of Samuel was of the same magnitude to prevent the raising of Samuel from being considered; your opinion is that it is. I think it is more likely, as I mentioned before, that it was the category of the event that distinguished it.

No, that's not it. What distinguishes Joshua's Long Day from the ghost of Samuel is that the bible clearly says that the LORD performed a miracle for Joshua. What distinguishes the sundial moving backwards from the ghost of Samuel is that the bible clearly says this was a sign of the prophet of the LORD. What clearly distinguishes the parting of the Red Sea from the ghost of Samuel is that the bible clearly says that this was accomplished by the LORD.

In contrast, the accounting of the ghost of Samuel was at a seance, and there is nary a mention of a miracle of the LORD. Normally you wouldn't have to say that the sun stopping in the sky was a miracle of God, but it said it. Considering the setting of a seance, if there was a miracle of God involved, it would have been essential for this to be mentioned.

Yours is an argument from silence, here.

It's more of an argument of where the burden of proof belongs, and what should be assumed by default.

...or one thing, was it a spirit that was seen? Or was Samuel possibly raised in the flesh? The text doesn't say.

When Jesus was assuring his disciples that he was not a spirit, he pointed out that he had solid flesh and bones. Whatever it was that appeared to the witch in the presence of Saul, it was invisible, because Saul had to ask what it looked like. If it had been in the flesh, how would it have been invisible?

And notice one more thing in 28:21. "The woman came unto Saul". This seems to indicate that the woman was out of the picture while Samuel was talking. Samuel wasn't speaking through her. Thus, either it was a demon speaking directly to Saul, or it was Samuel speaking directly to Saul.

I can still see this either way. If a devil was speaking through the mouth of the medium as Samuel, she would be "back" to be able to "come unto Saul" after if left her. I don't see the text excluding either possibility.

Again, you could be correct, but in being correct, you undermine the whole of scripture, and thus your victory is Phyrric. If we can't trust the scripture's explicit statements here, where can we trust them?

The Bible also says "thou shalt not surely die" - which is a lie, the first lie, and the origin of lies. If you wanted to suggest that we couldn't trust scripture, I would say that it is already understood that we are supposed to use discernment, rightly dividing the word. That you don't trust the words of devils or spirits raised by necromancy is part of the package. Regardless, our clue here is simple. Scripture doesn't tell us this is a legitimate Samuel. Rather, it tells us that Saul perceived it was Samuel, and henceforth, when it calls it Samuel, it is with the given definition that this is according to Saul's perception.

Paul tells us specifically not to believe every spirit, but to test the spirits to see if they honor God. Does this spirit give us anything to indicate that it honored God? How does it fare on this test? (See 1 John 4:1)

a) Did it say that it was raised by the LORD, and not by the witch?
b) Did it condemn witchcraft and necromancy? If not, why not? In life Samuel had said to Saul that "rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft" (1 Samuel 15:23)
c) When Samuel wouldn't prophesy for Saul while he was alive, and the prophets of God wouldn't prophesy for him afterwards either, why does this spirit choose to break the policy that God had set in motion?

I'd say that this spirit fails the test.

If I understand AMR's points, he did not agree with your mathematical zero distinction. I tried to continue the discussion here to keep from hijacking the thread, but the conversation lagged... I'd be interested in your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks, I might poke in and see what the discussion is about...

Whatever it was she saw, the fact that she saw something different from normal tells us that it wasn't her actions that caused it! Something happened she didn't mean to happen. And if she didn't do it, who did?

Just because she tells Saul that she saw gods ascending out of the earth, doesn't mean this is her first summoning, or that this is out of the ordinary within the realm of an answered seance. It just means that is how she describes it to her visitor. I don't think there is evidence to substantiate that this was not a normal result. The bible doesn't give us details on what's considered "normal" for a seance, and maybe there isn't a solid "normal" anyway.

Since it seems like the thing talked to him directly, without the witch's help, I would lean toward Saul seeing the thing represented as Samuel directly.

You don't have to see a thing to bow down to it. Many people bow towards a direction of the compass several times a day in prayer without seeing a specific thing. If a big voice boomed out of the sky and you had no direction to fix on, you could also bow down just as well.

But again, why would this spirit allow Saul to bow down to it? Loyal prophets and angels put on the brakes and say "don't bow down to me, worship God" in other instances.

One possibility is that the witch actually had some kind of power to see something that wasn't in visual range, but when it came close enough, Saul could see it, too. What kind of power might that be?

I will grant that the donkey was able to see the angel of the LORD before its rider did. That would tend to support would be that the apparition was a spirit rather than a solid flesh and blood form.

Rosenritter

I'm becoming more and more shocked that the clear text that is about "Samuel" is being questioned. The bible is enormously clear on the matter and there is no way to begin to address how absurd it is to even suggest that the Spiritual and Natural don't "coincide" to a degree.

It was considered superstition back in the olden days also.

As to the next, that it was not the spirit of Samuel, I grant: In the proving whereof ye neede not to insist, since all Christians of whatso-ever Religion agrees vpon that: and none but either mere ignorants, or Necromanciers or Witches doubtes thereof. And that the Diuel is permitted at som-times to put himself in the liknes of the Saintes, it is plaine in the Scriptures, where it is said, that Sathan can trans-forme himselfe into an Angell of light.

King James I, Daemonologie, 1597

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Theosis........

Theosis........

your god or gods are made up and can be whatever you feel ,
so your feelings on whether or not eternal conscious punishment
is true is just your feelings and has nothing to do with truth.

My position on ECT and its insanity holds on the many grounds, points and principles shared so far. My 'feelings' may or may not be involved in my analysis, but logic, reason, conscience, philosophical insight and continued research goes into what thoughts I formulate and what conclusions arise, and these are always open to further modification as better, more perfect information or revelation is forthcoming. A 'truth-student' is ever open to be have his views changed, challenged, expanded,...even discarded if necessary. Until I see a valid reason to modify mine, they remain...open to the 'focus' of 'truth'. Dont forget however that truth is relative, and as shared previously will be conditioined by so many factors that affect your 'perception' of such, further distorted by 'interpretation'. Such is a fact. - this still holds even though we may 'assumed' an 'Absolute Reality' always existing, and deem it by the name of 'God', 'Deity' or some other demonination. Indeed, Absolute Reality is that which Always IS. - all else are but relative approximations, assumptions, points of view, perspectives, appearances, illusions, imperfect reflections, and so on.

The so called 'truth' of a matter goes beyond some preconceived dogmatic 'BELIEF' about something just because its in a religious book, and you take what it literally says...lock, stock and barrel...without taking into consideration the etymology and translation issues involved in the passages, besides the figurative meanings of things in their proper context. But we've been thru all this before. (going in circles).

Isa 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.
Isa 43:11 I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior.

Nice quote, but irrelevant to the subject at hand ;) I've treated ECT on principle alone, and it fails miserably, plus all the issues over the word 'aion' and its derivatives indicate periods of time, not a state of endlessness or everlastingness. Beyond quibbles over grammar, still the concept of ECT violates so many ethical precepts and conscience, and decimates any genuine revelation of the grace of a loving 'God', that its no wonder a great deal of those in insane asylums got there in part by religious misrepresentations of 'God', and are living their own 'hells' while on earth, becaues the 'Devil' has his 'forks' in so much 'theology' these days. And thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Sure,...quote all the passages you like, and that mind you from a religious tradition that is not even your own! - but you've piggy backed on their cult-ture and modified it to bolster your own 'religion' about 'God', brandying your 'ego' to be deemed among the 'elect', pampering it to the point of actually believing that your 'theology' has saved you, just because you believe right, according to some traditional orthodox conception of 'salvation'. I'd rethink your whole 'religion' altogether, and if your own image of 'God' is but your own creation as well,...since my universal concept of 'Deity' agrees with the most fundamental classical definition of 'God' theistically, while also including the metaphysical and esoteric truths of all religion, science and philosophy,...since Truth (divine wisdom, love, light) must by NATURE, be universal, all-pervading and all-inclusive.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Open Minds...................

Open Minds...................

I see several aspects to your post that I deeply appreciate. You distinguished repentance as changing of ones mind, thus offloading the artificial religiously imposed kind of salvation by works.

Greetings EE,

Mutual respects in universal truth, love, ethics and altruism, since no one in their right mind denies the precept of the Fatherhood of God and Brotherhood of Man,..that we are here to learn, grow, evolve, and serve one another in community for the higher good and prosperity of all.

Granted, love is the WAY,....and faith working by love, will reveal itself thru WORKS. - you might know my view on this, so I wont bother in quoting James :) - but one cannot ever deny that "faith without works is not living".

I also noted that you acknowledge that the soul goes on.

I approach this view from a more universal Spiritualist perspective, some of which has been supported by NDE's, OBE's, spirit-communications/mediumship, Afterlife studies, Psychical Research, and so on. All these and other fields of study SUPPORT the 'continuation of consciousness in some form'. This is further confirmed by the religious beliefs of most all theistic religions as well, so some part of man's own spirit-nature or soul-sense, assumes some kind of continuation of life.

I still wish you would roll up your sleeves and rip the scripture out and intertwine mostly scripture with reserved dialogue to keep your points from being attacked, but I read what you wrote and I have to say that it has "some" fair validity.

Thanks, I did have a very large thread on 'NDE's and the Afterlife'....so have some research time into this subject, even though some believing in 'soul sleep' and 'conditional immortality' totally deny any conscious existence after physical death, unless or until they are supernaturally 'resurrected' as some future point in time. - the thing is though, believers of all different persuasions are ALL USING THE BIBLE to support their view, this is why I dont take kindly to the "only use the Bible" approach, but of course will dissect, explore and interpret various passages based on all the knowledge that can be obtained concerning its proper translation.

HOWEVER, since I've learned so much more beyond the scope of a literal reading of the Bible, I cannot just limit myself to the Bible ALONE, because to do so would be to be intellectually honest with what I've learned so far, in the great world of knowledge, information and the concept of 'progressive revelation'. IF there are some who wholly discount my religious and philosophical perspectives because I dont use enough 'scripture' in their opinion,...then that is a clear of example of assessing a subject only on their 'terms'. I prefer to tackle a subject on the basis of its essential proposition and universal terms to test, challenge or verify it. - and remain open to learn more.

I don't think karma fits here, because we all have bad karma. Only God has GOOD karma, so to insinuate that our actions, good or bad influence outcome, in light of biblical discussion... other than acknowledging Jesus Christ as Lord and God.. in relationship to (changing ones mind).

;)

I think 'repentance' is key to soul transformation, hence its importance taught in scripture, and by other teachers who recognize the universal truth that "All is Mind" anyways,...and there are certain laws, conditions and qualities of mind, that our own 'thinking' can affect and influence which result in the nature and character of our own experience. The prophets and apostles, including Jesus commanded 'repentance' as the 'door' to God's way, will and kingdom.

In fact... I challenge you to bind what you just wrote to scripture. I'm just a voice suggesting this here, but I genuinely appreciated "most" of what you wrote here.

You know I perceive more the meaning, value, truth, ethic or principle of a thing or subject first. This is what I usually address,....and evaluate whatever is written in the Bible thru that contextual lens. Again, I COULD quote scripture with the best of em here, but what would that prove? - you still have every John, Dick and Jane contending their own 'translation' or 'interpretation' of the same passages, engaging in circular debates,...its same ole spin, til the cows come home. Then they wake up for another round of more MOOING.

On this note... I genuinely believe that tampering with communication with the Dead is a bad practice. I sincerely believe that God warned us for the sake of the dead and the living.

What is your stance on this?

I share a Spiritist view on this in my ECT catalog page here. We also did have a thread on Spiritism, the Allan Kardec tradition. I've also read some classic Spiritulist texts given via mediumship and a variety of channeled works, of more modern age. I judge the spiritual value, meanings and content of the messages, and have found some very true in essence...and inspired. Romantically then,...I'm a spiritualist at heart :) - however when I have taken the challenge against ECT,...there are plenty of passages that would seem to support 'conditional immortality' and 'soul sleep',....so would DENY the concept of souls continuing to be 'conscious' or 'alive' after physical death, and would so deny any communications taking place between an embodied medium with disembodied entities or soul that have once lived on earth, and are now progressed to some higher spiritual sphere or realm in the Unseen World. I guess I choose an agnostic stance to a degree on this, but am open to use my spiritual faculties and intellect to intuit the truth of any spirit communication, whether it was inspired and written thru men in the Bible, or any other religious book used to inspire and serve humanity. I'm OPEN on this. Open-View ;)