Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The reason people fight so hard against this scripture in Luke is because they don't like the idea of suffering for their sins. It's no surprise. All throughout scripture, God rewards good and punishes evil. Our very own consciences convict us of our sins.

To be absent with the body is to be present with the Lord.

2 Cor. 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

The beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom (the Father of Faith).

Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

"He lift UP his eyes"...seeing them "afar off".

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.​

Was that only a false hope our Lord was giving....that they would be carried by angels to the place God had prepared for them?

We see it isn't unusual that angels would do this.

Mark 13:27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.​

My only question would be when those in Hades/Sheol (translated hell here) are resurrected, will they suffer eternally or face the second death.

The second death.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Adam did die eventually in that day.

If he died a death spiritually, that is a separation from the Lord, then notice that his fellowship with the Lord was restored as he was clothed by the Lord.

However Adam lost something of his creation which is only restored by Christ and not fully until his resurrection, though somewhat greater than at the first.

Think on that.

LA

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Then you can hammer away at your keyboard all day, but only you and Freelight will give a flip what you type. I'm not trying to be a donkey... butt it's the raw truth.

You believe in GOD... even if you feel "caged" by the 66... don't you believe that God can help you pick up that old, weathered BROAD SWORD and swing it in HIS NAME?

Come on... will you do it for this one time? I'm telling you that I can discredit all of your discrediting of it. It is chocked full of defense of the LOVING CHARACTER of God.

Do you trust God to assist you in using the 66 to show that God doesn't support Eternal Torture... which is "indeed" in full contradiction of all of His ways?

If you will bite... and for this single thread you are interested... I will give you some quick keys to get up to speed in the 66 alone to defend Annihilation without effort. You're about to see an irrefutable blood bath and I'm about to bring it straight out of the 66. Look at what I just posted after the post you just quoted... If you don't see how uphill that rebuttal is... you're missing it. I'm not even at 4% usage of scripture on this topic yet. I kind of snapped and I'm unloading now.

Is the Character of God worth your usage of the Bible to defend Him... or do you simply want to use a method that throws everything you type out the door... off rip?

* I don't believe in eternal torture, I didn't believe it before I didn't believe in Santa Clause. Never have. Its obvious, there is the potential for life eternal or death, cessation of existence, name erased, as if we never existed.

* The problem is that people who believe in hell fire aren't getting their ideas from apocrypha, they get them from the same Bible.

* You would be preaching to the choir. Once salvation is fully rejected there would be no further need for punishment or correction.

From my holy book:

"The affectionate heavenly Father, whose spirit indwells his children on earth, is not a divided personality—one of justice and one of mercy—neither does it require a mediator to secure the Father's favor or forgiveness. Divine righteousness is not dominated by strict retributive justice; God as a father transcends God as a judge.

2:6.7 God is never wrathful, vengeful, or angry. It is true that wisdom does often restrain his love, while justice conditions his rejected mercy. His love of righteousness cannot help being exhibited as equal hatred for sin. The Father is not an inconsistent personality; the divine unity is perfect. In the Paradise Trinity there is absolute unity despite the eternal identities of the co-ordinates of God.

2:6.8 God loves the sinner and hates the sin: such a statement is true philosophically, but God is a transcendent personality, and persons can only love and hate other persons. Sin is not a person. God loves the sinner because he is a personality reality (potentially eternal), while towards sin God strikes no personal attitude, for sin is not a spiritual reality; it is not personal; therefore does only the justice of God take cognizance of its existence. The love of God saves the sinner; the law of God destroys the sin. This attitude of the divine nature would apparently change if the sinner finally identified himself wholly with sin just as the same mortal mind may also fully identify itself with the indwelling spirit Adjuster. Such a sin-identified mortal would then become wholly unspiritual in nature (and therefore personally unreal) and would experience eventual extinction of being. Unreality, even incompleteness of creature nature, cannot exist forever in a progressingly real and increasingly spiritual universe.

2:6.9 Facing the world of personality, God is discovered to be a loving person; facing the spiritual world, he is a personal love; in religious experience he is both. Love identifies the volitional will of God. The goodness of God rests at the bottom of the divine free- willness—the universal tendency to love, show mercy, manifest patience, and minister forgiveness."
UB 1955

Last edited:

Zeke

He's At Home... In our Heart and EVERYWHERE... All... At... Once... :D

As the Bible plainly teaches.

Now... the topic is ECT and the bible is the recommended reference...

Okay?

Romans seven tells you what part of our nature is in hell while in the flesh, same with the Lazarus parable and Paul's teaching Galatians 4:20-28 taught as two distinct siblings instead of two natures by traditionalist like you who think its about history (not Okay) when its about divine seeds being sent here to learn about good and evil through actually going through it all, and yes its about the bible and how one receives it, by experience or through the superficial religious indoctrination that thinks they have grasp Divine thought through reading letters without revelation Galatians 1:12, Romans 11:32-35, and yes the micro is in the macro Luke 17:20-21, Acts 17:24, 1Cor 3:16, that is where Divine revelations happens not searching outside that kingdom and Temple. Okay

Lon

* I don't believe in eternal torture, I didn't believe it before I didn't believe in Santa Clause. Never have. Its obvious, there is the potential for life eternal or death, cessation of existence, name erased, as if we never existed.

* The problem is that people who believe in hell fire aren't getting their ideas from apocrypha, they get them from the same Bible.

* You would be preaching to the choir. Once salvation is fully rejected there would be no further need for punishment or correction.

From my holy book:

"The affectionate heavenly Father, whose spirit indwells his children on earth, is not a divided personality—one of justice and one of mercy—neither does it require a mediator to secure the Father's favor or forgiveness. Divine righteousness is not dominated by strict retributive justice; God as a father transcends God as a judge.
This is why I know it isn't from God. It is a man, sometimes a group, of Seventh Day Adventists rationalizing and writing about it.
Why do I know this? Because this particular is trying to understand something beyond them. You CANNOT have God's attributes divided.
It is a 'logical' impossibility. Why? Because Love DEMANDS justice. Why? Because when Love comes against unlove, that which is right MUST prevail or non-love would be 1) A co-equal and eternal with God :nono: 2) Non-love (evil, sin, hate, wickedness) would continue to exist when/where it competes with love all our days. In order to rid us of anything, it MUST first be judged and Love must be the One that does it. Some disagree, but also because God is immutable. His nature is perfection such that His expressions are consistent and measured. He neither overtly loves nor overtly judges. That means, whatever Hell is, for justice, it is indeed just, regardless of overtly sensitive creatures emoting over it. Whatever the end, it will be just, right, loving, and all the rest that God is, simply because God cannot cease to be any of these, nor does He have any one of them out of balance including Love. He 'is' Love. He also 'is' Justice, in the sense that everything you and I can possibly know about Justice with our limited capacity, comes from Him. The UB just doesn't express clear logic much of the time.

As to needing a Mediator, wholly against biblical conveyance.

2:6.7 God is never wrathful, vengeful, or angry. It is true that wisdom does often restrain his love, while justice conditions his rejected mercy. His love of righteousness cannot help being exhibited as equal hatred for sin. The Father is not an inconsistent personality; the divine unity is perfect. In the Paradise Trinity there is absolute unity despite the eternal identities of the co-ordinates of God.
Incorrect. Again, nonsense because it CANNOT be true. You 'should' be angry at atrocity. Love IS angry at atrocity.
Sometimes, these Seventh Day Adventists show they were paying attention in Sunday School, but they were trying to rewrite all of it. It is true no attribute of God is above another, but it is untrue that God is blasé about atrocity.
He hates it. Proverbs 6:16

2:6.8 God loves the sinner and hates the sin: such a statement is true philosophically, but God is a transcendent personality, and persons can only love and hate other persons. Sin is not a person. God loves the sinner because he is a personality reality (potentially eternal), while towards sin God strikes no personal attitude, for sin is not a spiritual reality; it is not personal; therefore does only the justice of God take cognizance of its existence. The love of God saves the sinner; the law of God destroys the sin. This attitude of the divine nature would apparently change if the sinner finally identified himself wholly with sin just as the same mortal mind may also fully identify itself with the indwelling spirit Adjuster. Such a sin-identified mortal would then become wholly unspiritual in nature (and therefore personally unreal) and would experience eventual extinction of being. Unreality, even incompleteness of creature nature, cannot exist forever in a progressingly real and increasingly spiritual universe.

2:6.9 Facing the world of personality, God is discovered to be a loving person; facing the spiritual world, he is a personal love; in religious experience he is both. Love identifies the volitional will of God. The goodness of God rests at the bottom of the divine free- willness—the universal tendency to love, show mercy, manifest patience, and minister forgiveness."
UB 1955
Both of these, awkwardly written paragraphs and non-matured thought processing, not ready for expression. "Facing a world of personality..." Awkward. "God is 'discovered' to be?" :think: "Persons can only love an hate other persons..." Should be "People can..." but the statement isn't true. I can be indifferent to another person, which is neither hate nor love. I can be happy with a person, which may like something they said, but it isn't an expression of love, but an expression of reciprocation..... etc. etc. etc.

Rosenritter

Lon? You are being hyper-sensitive.

When someone says "you are wrong, I will demonstrate" that is not a personal attack, and that is entirely within the normally accepted bounds of a normal healthy proper discussion. Maybe you are used to an environment where you were revered or everyone walked on eggshells, maybe you are of a tradition that would never ever come out and say "the emperor has no clothes" but this isn't that type of place.

I'll take the first example in point from your reply:

1) If you berate someone for using an authority other than scripture,
2) but then attack them when they correctly speak when their words are practically a scripture quote from the accepted Canon
3) that action is hypocritical. Your action is not consistent with your words. That is what the word "hypocritical" entails.

Notice I did not say "You are a Hypocrite" because whether you are or are not is really up to you. Someone that recognizes an action as being non-desirable and changes is not a hypocrite. Someone that refuses to change and owns the behavior becomes the hypocrite.

By the way, my example had no dependence on "innocent lives" - they were merely lives. And if you will call those conditions "atrocious" but not that which is extended by infinite duration and/or degree and/or amounts, then that does seem hypocritical...

Thank you for the attempt.

I explained, clearly, that I was going to send it to EvilEye in thread. When I saw your post, I decided to put it in your post.
So yes, 3rd person. It shouldn't have been too confusing, even in third person, however :idunno:
:think: By extension, "you are a hypocrite." Well, perhaps you didn't mean it or mean to, but you said it. It is not hypocritical to go against poor theology. I do not agree with Mormons. They are sometimes right whenever their beliefs cross ours, but 'their' greater need is truth. A truth with a little lie is incorrect. You 'can' encourage a good point, but there is no room for the hypocrisy comment in such. Any measure, is rather an 'option' rather than hypocrisy.

It doesn't matter if you didn't 'mean it' as a slam. 1) I didn't, so it is a false accusation and really from your problematic reading comprehension as well as hasty assessment that is completely wrong. You 'equated' paradise and heaven as the same place where I clearly marked them as two separate places. Paradise no longer exists. Therefore 2) you tried to make your error and comprehension my particular problem.

Again, an accusation and again, your fault, not mine. You need to read and understand what a soul that experiences death means BUT you tried to make it my problem instead of admitting that you have partial definitions that aren't accurate
Continuing:

I question them, as shown, because your understanding is the actual problem. Such leads to questioning your age, credentials, and aptitude.
As a teacher, I would grade you as C- if I were attempting to make you achieve greater than you had been. A C or C+ as a normal grade but with room for improvement and a B- If it was the best you could do and I didn't believe you'd handle discouragement as well as trying to get you to raise your level of work. As a teacher, if I had to guess, I'd say your problem was reading comprehension and rushing work, rather than digesting the information of the assignment and coming to a well-reasoned and rounded response. As a man bible theologian, I'd likely have given you the lower of the grades for your paper and presentation.

Non sequitur. You are using 'innocent' lives for your analogy and purposefully creating atrocious conditions. I know well your argument, but it is yet non sequitur. Ask, don't tell in this case. It is one more of those 'I'm right you are wrong, my way or the highway' sorts of assertions that just don't apply. God IS actually good. It "doesn't matter" what you think. It matters what you and/or I both know. Until we 'both' know it, there is no communication, no learning, and a LOT of strawmen and scape-goats.

It wasn't. That is the point AND the hasty conclusion is wrong and wrongheaded as well as offensive. You made the scenario.

:nono: You were being ignorant. It was a 'wrong' statement to make. You may have felt magnanimous, but it didn't come across as but
your poor thinking and poor thinking of me. Such is offensive. I DO and did think very long and hard about this. You have a choice as what to do with that information.

Not sure then, 'why' it was brought up. We can discuss those reasons in ensuing posts.
No. This is condescending and 'assuming' you are correct. I actually can tell you how I got to the end of this road, if you'd ever ask. Your assessment and assumptions are wrong. You 'can' keep on your road with annihilation. I already told you the only 'sin' that I think is involved with it, in giving an unsaved a false hope. We can talk about that if you want to hear another perspective than your own.

:nono: Both.

Your mind jumped to a scripture. His did not.

Does that say something about 'cessation' to you? :think:

We'll take a look...

I think we are okay, and moving forward again. We'll play it by ear for a bit?

In Him -Lon

Rosenritter

Lazy Afternoon, did you realize that you just equated "punishment" with "day of judgment?" Those aren't the same things. The day of judgment may invoke punishments but these aren't interchangeable concepts. This is significant. All face the judgment. Not all receive eternal punishment.

If someone faced judgment, but did not receive eternal punishment, I would dare say the judgment was "more tolerable" for them.

Proportional Punishment before Aniahalation is taught throughout the Bible.

Mat 10:15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

LA

Lon

2 Timothy 2:25 Proverbs 15:1 Titus 3:10-11 2 Thessalonians 3:14-15 1 Timothy 5:1

Between these somewhere, is balance.

Titus 1:13 2 Corinthians 13:10 2 Timothy 4:2 1 Timothy 5:20 Romans 16:17 1 Corinthians 5:4,5 1 Thessalonians 5:14

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
1.hell does not have a king.
2.the lake of fire is a place of punishment for the devil
Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

I'm relieved you maintain a separation of the "hell-fire" from the disembodied mystery that awaits those that die the death in this life of these... (Jude 1:12)

As far as Hell being the final stop for the "wicked"... I disagree that these people "don't have a king"... if you go back... you will note I linked the word "king" to "self-appointed".

The Pit... or "Sheol" indeed has a "self-proclaimed" king... and even in revelation... a kingdom recognition is given.

The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.​

This binds to Ezekiel...

Ezekiel 28 6 ‘Therefore thus says the Lord God:

“Because you have set your heart as the heart of a god,
7 Behold, therefore, I will bring strangers against you,
The most terrible of the nations;
And they shall draw their swords against the beauty of your wisdom,
And defile your splendor.
8 They shall throw you down into the Pit,
And you shall die the death of the slain
In the midst of the seas.

9 “Will you still say before him who slays you,
‘I am a god’?

But you shall be a man, and not a god,
In the hand of him who slays you.

10 You shall die the death of the uncircumcised
By the hand of aliens;
For I have spoken,” says the Lord God.’”​

[/indent]Ezekiel 27 “O Tyre, you have said,
‘I am perfect in beauty.’
4 Your borders are in the midst of the seas.
Your builders have perfected your beauty.

The issue with most doctrine is that it lacks scriptural binding to exactly "who the serpent is".

You know the origin of these writings, but they indeed bind to "Beelzibul". (Lord of the Flies... or the lord of ruin)

Sea is a word that is highly overlooked in scripture. It has many various meanings... but lets go a little deeper.

Job 41 “Can you draw out Leviathan with a hook,
Or snare his tongue with a line which you lower?
2 Can you put a reed through his nose,
Or pierce his jaw with a hook?
3 Will he make many supplications to you?
Will he speak softly to you?
4 Will he make a covenant with you?
Will you take him as a servant forever?
5 Will you play with him as with a bird,
Or will you leash him for your maidens?
6 Will your companions make a banquet of him?
Will they apportion him among the merchants?
7 Can you fill his skin with harpoons,
Or his head with fishing spears?
8 Lay your hand on him;
Remember the battle—
Never do it again!
9 Indeed, any hope of overcoming him is false;
Shall one not be overwhelmed at the sight of him?
10 No one is so fierce that he would dare stir him up.
Who then is able to stand against Me?
11 Who has preceded Me, that I should pay him?
Everything under heaven is Mine.
12 “I will not conceal[c] his limbs,
His mighty power, or his graceful proportions.
13 Who can remove his outer coat?
Who can approach him with a double bridle?
14 Who can open the doors of his face,
With his terrible teeth all around?
15 His rows of scales are his pride,
Shut up tightly as with a seal;
16 One is so near another
That no air can come between them;
17 They are joined one to another,
They stick together and cannot be parted.
18 His sneezings flash forth light,
And his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.
19 Out of his mouth go burning lights;
Sparks of fire shoot out.
20 Smoke goes out of his nostrils,
As from a boiling pot and burning rushes.
21 His breath kindles coals,
And a flame goes out of his mouth.
22 Strength dwells in his neck,
And sorrow dances before him.
23 The folds of his flesh are joined together;
They are firm on him and cannot be moved.
24 His heart is as hard as stone,
Even as hard as the lower millstone.
25 When he raises himself up, the mighty are afraid;
Because of his crashings they are beside[d] themselves.
26 Though the sword reaches him, it cannot avail;
Nor does spear, dart, or javelin.
27 He regards iron as straw,
And bronze as rotten wood.
28 The arrow cannot make him flee;
Slingstones become like stubble to him.
29 Darts are regarded as straw;
He laughs at the threat of javelins.
30 His undersides are like sharp potsherds;
He spreads pointed marks in the mire.
31 He makes the deep boil like a pot;
He makes the sea like a pot of ointment.
32 He leaves a shining wake behind him;
One would think the deep had white hair.
33 On earth there is nothing like him,
Which is made without fear.
34 He beholds every high thing;
He is king over all the children of pride.”​

Leviathan is another name for Hades... or "Death"... or Satan... or the "false morning star"... and as you can see... he is the king over all the children of PRIDE!

Ezekiel 28 “You were the seal of perfection,
Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God;

Every precious stone was your covering:
The sardius, topaz, and diamond,
Beryl, onyx, and jasper,
Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold.
The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes
Was prepared for you on the day you were created.
14 “You were the anointed cherub who covers;
I established you;

You were on the holy mountain of God;
You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones.
15 You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created,
Till iniquity was found in you.

16 “By the abundance of your trading
You became filled with violence within,
And you sinned;
Therefore I cast you as a profane thing
Out of the mountain of God;

And I destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the fiery stones.
17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor;

I cast you to the ground,
I laid you before kings,
That they might gaze at you.
18 “You defiled your sanctuaries
By the multitude of your iniquities,
By the iniquity of your trading;
Therefore I brought fire from your midst;
It devoured you,
And I turned you to ashes upon the earth
In the sight of all who saw you.
19 All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you;
You have become a horror,
And shall be no more forever.
”’”​

And... if you don't believe me yet... perhaps Jesus will assist in your understanding.

Luke 11 14Now he was casting out a demon that was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke, and the people marveled. 15But some of them said, “He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of demons,” 16while others, to test him, kept seeking from him a sign from heaven. 17But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls. 18And if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul. 19And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. 20But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 21When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe; 22but when one stronger than he attacks him and overcomes him, he takes away his armor in which he trusted and divides his spoil. 23Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.​

Here... we see the "kingdom" of Satan... (the children of pride) ... being acknowledged by Jesus.

As for the "Sea" references... lets go to a "prophetic" scripture towards final judgment involving Jesus Himself...

Luke 8:30 Jesus asked him, saying, “What is your name?”

And he said, “Legion,” because many demons had entered him. 31 And they begged Him that He would not command them to go out into the abyss.

32 Now a herd of many swine was feeding there on the mountain. So they begged Him that He would permit them to enter them. And He permitted them. 33 Then the demons went out of the man and entered the swine, and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the lake and drowned.

Lake/Sea ... "Swine" ... "Pride" ... "Wickedness judged" ... this is a binding scripture to show the second "death".

I could go on with scripture... but this is a book... already.

yes the devil is alive .

I don't think you understand. You keep insisting that spiritual death is the "death" spoken of in the Gen. 2 account... When God says you shall surely die. Yet... carnal death is prescribed by God in immediate answer to the Gen. 3 account and in Gen. 5... we see that Adam... indeed died.

It is you who are adding to scripture here to assert that Hell is eternal torment. I acknowledge that this is a possibility... but... I'm armed with so much more scripture on Satan through typification and spiritual, scriptural prophecy that is "typified"... that I can assert that there is a complete extinguishing of the evil one.

Luk 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

The rich man is "Jewish" and "Proud". He represents Pride and simultaneously the Jews that rejected Jesus.

The rich man died.

Indeed

Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

This is where you begin to blur matters... this is dispensationally taking place during the "age of grace".

rich man is alive and speaking .

I, too, believe that the soul goes on after death... "in this age". So we are in agreement. But I believe that you are subscribing to a form of Preterism by not seeing the "burning jealousy" of the "rich man"... who needs "water".

How does one get water [MENTION=2801]way 2 go[/MENTION]?

John 14:14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”​

See... Lazarus was likened unto this...

Luke 16:20 But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, 21 desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

This binds immediately to "this".

Matthew 18:25 The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said.

26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”

28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.​

Does this not bind to this?

Luke 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”​

I believe you are so adamant in defending eternal torture that you are missing the mark of what is being said here. I indeed see this as very important... but you are so desperate to bind this to "HELL"... that you are trashing the dispensational value of it. Are you a dispensationalist?

here ?
Mat_4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
yes

Do you understand the difference between Will/Desire and Permission?

for Christians , no .

but

1Ki 22:20 and the LORD said, ‘Who will entice Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?’ And one said one thing, and another said another.
1Ki 22:21 Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, saying, ‘I will entice him.’
1Ki 22:22 And the LORD said to him, ‘By what means?’ And he said, ‘I will go out, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And he said, ‘You are to entice him, and you shall succeed; go out and do so.’

It is very dangerous to misinterpret events as God being "willingly deceitful". There is much more to this story than you are bringing in and for that matter... you are blurring the line of Permissive events with God's will.

This is a very bad idea. It leads to placing wickedness square on the shoulders of Jesus. Shall we now become accusers of God?

You are making it as if God is puppeting Satan and you are missing that God does not force any creation to act in any manner. God allows Creation to impact creation... but God can use what bad is done to bring about good.

Are you a free will theist?

nope. I understand someone can be dead and alive at the same time.

In this Age... but there are much more matters in scripture that you are missing, before drawing your conclusion as to what will and will not be when day and night is no more... and all is One in Jesus. "The New Heaven and New Earth"

Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

For someone that is "tormented" in the flame... they are speaking pretty calmly. I'm not sure if you are prepared to delve deeper into this. This is a core pinion to your doctrine and it isn't dispensationally accurate to strike "Hellfire" in "this dispensational age". This is not a post "grace age" story. It is in reference to what happens "after" Jesus' DBR.

I understand someone can be alive and dead at the same time too.

Me too... but you are missing so much in this story... that I'm wondering how much of this you realize is taken from many other events that occur in the Gospels.

Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins.

This is irrelevant because you are using a verse about "spiritual death, while alive now". You are bending the intent of this verse.

did Adam die the day he ate from the tree like God said he surely would?

Yes and No... He became spiritually blind and carnally skewed in sight. This is not the "Death" that Gen. 2 refers to. You are, again, trying to force scripture to back your doctrine. You can say that Adam "spiritually died" that day... but He could still "Hear the voice of God". So... you are squeezing this too hard and forcing too many interjections into the natural flow of scripture here.

You are showing a state of being "alive in the flesh"... while... "blind/spiritually dead". This does not help your argument in the least.

Again... you are avoiding the fact that Adam "died" in Gen. 5. I agree that his soul went to Sheol... or the Bosom of Abraham... but I don't know the full of it... because I'm not God and scripture doesn't say.

Gen 2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

I agree with you to a degree... but I can't help but note that you keep overlooking the actual flesh death of Adam in Gen. 5. This is a Death that is initiated by "Satan"... and quite frankly... Jesus says He can do the same thing to the Soul.

The Body Decays and scripture speaks of this. Heck... we know this as a medical fact. The body ceases. Are you denying that there is a "possibility" that Jesus could "cease a soul"?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Lon

Rosenritter

I would be happy for a moderator, even a couple people to say "point was supported" or "point was not sufficiently supported" with "here is what you would need for support" would be helpful. OR "these points were brought up, please answer before continuing." People get frustrated quickly when there seems to be a lack of rules and "victory" becomes something that can be achieved by simply deadlocking the conversation.

I apologize if my animation has become too extreme from time to time, and will try to improve.

There is a bit of intellectual dishonesty going on in this discussion.

The first portion of the inaccuracy comes from @Caino ... by basing your arguments off of the Ub ... and simultaneously discrediting the 66 ... whether you like it or not... you're instantly discredited in this discussion.

You understand the implications of the crowd that suggest that God is capable of "allowing" "ECT"... but you are too stubborn to throw away a "manmade" book that is clearly discredited in serious debate. If you really are serious about defending the "God is Love of the Matter"... You need to throw out the Bible discrediting and start searching scripture.

The Annihilation argument is supported deeply in scripture so staunchly ... that it is pointless to use any other reference. Are you building an argument to convince yourself... or do you sincerely want to defend the character of Christ? You don't use a reference that isn't taken seriously in debate like this... and you absolutely have to use scripture.

I will tell you a secret. The few texts and arguments that the ECT individuals that absolutely have to prove... are so limited that they end up on the fence in a sincere trade of scripture. They become frustrated, hostile and repetitive when approached with the biblical view on the matter. Why in the hell would you and @freelight use any other tactic than the actual 66 books for argument? It discredits you both from the get go on this topic when your arguments are void of actual scripture.

@Rosenritter is actually getting flamed a couple of times because they are staunchly using the 66 books and frustrating the "God is Capable of Wickedness" crowd by doing so. I'm not kidding. {Caino and Freelight), You're not helping anyone here except yourselves... unless you're actually willing to acknowledge the Divinity of Jesus Christ and the Authority of scripture.

@way 2 go

You are my next focus...

You argue that the "Annihilation" crowd argues that death is "always permanent". I lean towards "Annihilation" like @Rosenritter and I KNOW that death has "Many" different meanings. So I'll address this much more clearly in my future posts.

You are generalizing to bolster your perspective, because you embrace ECT without question. You look for it in scripture, and are unwilling to look for anything else because I'm certain you have outright accepted that God is devoid of Mercy in some instances. I intend to allow you to grind my arguments out over the coarse of this matter and see if I can express my perspective towards Annihilation in a way that is more clear and brings a clear outline to my arguments that link to scripture and your understanding.

@Lon ... you were blasting @Rosenritter earlier and they were blasting you ... and honestly ... I have to say... it's not in step with your typical debate style... I'm not sure what happened. Rosenritter has gotten animated before... but I'm wondering why this particular "doctrine" is so close to home for you? I have warned you about the necessity to buffer between Satan and Jesus. It was our first communication. This is one of the results of removing "free will" from the equation... ECT becomes a quick theological purchase when you begin to "Tamper" with the revealed "Loving Nature of Jesus".

I'm going to lay out the primary support for annihilation and the scripture support for it that is buried in intentional abandon of "All Scripture".

1) The usage of Death and it's various meanings in scripture
2) The necessity of recognizing "Typification of the Devil"
3) The Adam and Satan argument... and how scripture clearly says that "Adam DIED".
4) Eternal LIFE for the SAVED ... DEATH for the Wicked ... The clear Contrast that is cited, dismissed and ignored
5) Annihilation passages are far beyond what @Lon cited FROM THE FIRST 25 PAGES.
6) Gathering all passages that refer to "Hell" and connecting them to the Jewish structure
7) Intellectual Honesty and the revealed "Character of God".
8) Unyielding Scriptural Honesty
9) Recognition of BOTH arguments
10) Clear refutation with clearly linked scripture that binds to "Eschatology" in the OLD and NEW testament
11) Is God Love and does Love TORTURE FOR ETERNITY?
12) LIFE is not just "existing"... it is "Being". Eternal LIFE means "Eternal Being"... not Eternal Existing Death... otherwise... you are simply lying to God and saying that Eternal life is granted to the "Living" and the "Dead"... in the SPIRITUAL sense.
13) Satan's fate as laid out in SCRIPTURE....

So.... here goes... since @way 2 go ... and @Lon are demanding that a person is unscriptural if they side against ECT ... and @Rosenritter is the only individual here that is decided on Annihilation and also... (I know Way 2 go and Lon do too... on this... but I am pointing out the systems of belief on @Rosenritter's side) fully believes in "Grace" ... "Faith Alone",.. "The Divinity of Jesus" and "Absolute Adherence to Scripture" as @Lon ... and @way 2 go ... I'm going to go straight @Nameless.In.Grace on this and side with @Rosenritter here.
@Derf and @glorydaz are outstanding mods for this discussion... as they are mostly impartial to this topic. They represent both of our arguments and their input is brought forth from a sincerely "Impartial" perspective.

@freelight , @Caino , @CherubRam , @Lazy afternoon , @KingdomRose ... I'm sincerely sorry to say this... but... no matter how solid your arguments are for annihilation ... your denial of the "Godhead" as Jesus is YHWH is going to set you up to be used against this argument. @Lon and @way 2 go will never consider a single word you type ... because you are outside of the recognition of Php. 2:9f, 11 and John 10:30. I'm not saying this to hurt you or upset you... but I'm saying it as a "FACT" ... your witness here is blown ... because of your denial of the Tri-Unity. You don't think it matters... but if you understood how theologically discrediting it is deny the Supreme Divinity of Jesus Christ and how important the recognition of Father and Son as ONE is to defend the LOVING NATURE of God... you would reconsider your position .. if not for this single argument... which is a BIGGY.

Firing up my LapTop and about to get real here,

- @Evil.Eye.<(I)>

Remember ... I sincerely respect all of you... so be prepared... I'm digging in here and I think I'm going to nurse this discussion for a bit.

Well... I guess ... It's time to RAISE SOME HELL

The beginning of the carnage starts HERE... Link Here.

Rosenritter

Caino, if you only care what you believe, then entering a discussion of this sort is pointless. We are here because we do care what others believe. I continue to stand by that there is no conflicting teaching in the Bible, that it is by the same author, and I am willing to address any alleged contradictions. Calmly, without accusation or belittling for bringing it up. You can use private message if you like: at least give me a chance to answer (Daniel made the same request of Nebuchadnezzar.)

.....because the 66 books of the Bible contain conflicting teachings, so some pick eternal death in the scripture because it makes sense to them and some pick Hell which is also in the scripture.

Today in the news a bunch of young children were murdered by ISIS in the UK. But that kind of teaching is sanctioned in the OT writings by the same kind of God concept by the same kind of backward people from the same place in the world. While there are lots of spiritual and historical truths in the Bible, there is also much that is untrue.

I don't care what you believe, I care what I believe.

Rosenritter

I know of one passage that does convince some honest people of never-ending torture in hell fire. It's based on reading a single passage in the New Testament with ignorance of the Old Testament that it's based on, but they're not being dishonest about it. It looks confusing without the proper context.

Re. Caino's #6560:

You say that "hell" is in the Bible. Enough has been brought to light in these discussions to convince any person searching for truth that "hell" is not a literal place of torture in fire. In fact, the "hell" of the Bible is the grave and it can be readily proven. A bad translation has influenced the world for centuries to believe that "hell" is a place where people are confined to fire even though they are dead. That was Satan's original LIE, that people won't really die. (Genesis 3:4)

The King James Version (and many other versions after that) took THREE Greek words that do not mean the same thing and translated them all as "hell." The three words are as follows, with their actual meanings:

(1)Hades....mankind's grave
(2)Gehenna....the complete obliteration of a dead body
(3)Tartarus....a state of spiritual darkness (2 Peter 2:4)

There is nothing, to the honest person's eye, that speaks of eternal torture in fire. "Fire" is a metaphor for complete destruction, as when someone sets fire to, say, a piece of paper---what happens to the paper? The Bible is telling us that, just as something is burned up completely and nothing remains of it, a person who is dead and is deemed wicked by God will have nothing remaining of them.

The KJV translators took verses from places that are not the same in meaning, and constructed a doctrine out of a house of cards. Pure BIAS and no truth to it. Subsequent versions stayed with the KJV because "it's so old it must be true." A few versions today are getting back to the original Greek terms and just print the terms themselves rather than the spurious "hell."

So, once again, a fiery "hell" that tortures people who are supposed to be dead is a fallacy, and EvilEye can rant and raise hell all he wants, he is not speaking truth.

Ecclesiastes 9:5: "The dead do not know anything." (NASB)

Rosenritter

Hell is not misused in the King James. It's likely derived from the Hebrew sheol, and like the word "Hades" it also is used in relation to a god of a mythological underworld. In English the word comes from "hel" meaning "hidden" like as in the word "helmet." It's the hidden realm of death, it's where things are cast out for destruction

sheol - what we speak of holding the dead
hades - the Greek equivalent of sheol
Hades - the Greek mythological underworld
tartarus - used as a verb once in an analogy to the Titans, but for the angels that sinned
gehenna - where you cast the dead (or about to be dead) to be destroyed by fire

All very similar concepts, matched by the word "hell'

The term "Godhead" is an English variant of the word "godhood" and was first introduced by John Wycliffe (1330-1384 C.E.) in English Bible versions as godhede.

The word "Godhead" is a translation of three different Greek words, theion (meaning "divinity, deity", # 2304 in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) at Acts 17:29, theiotēs (meaning "divinity, divine nature", # 2305 in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) at Romans 1:20, and theotēs (meaning "deity", # 2320 in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) at Colossians 2:9.

To translate three different Greek words as one word and deviously incorrect at that in the King James Bible, is no different than translating in the King James Bible, the Hebrew word she’ol´ with three different English words of "hell" (10 times), "grave" (31 times), and "pit" (3 times).

This is not unlike having three different names for one street on a map (with the real name hidden), so that when a person used it, he wound up lost. Likewise of those who read Bibles with "Godhead" in it, thereby misleading a person that the trinity is "real".

Hence, the need for an accurate Bible, one that renders Hebrew and Greek words and phrases with a high degree of precision, just as a map that can be counted on to provide exact information. Unfortunately, many Bibles follow the lead of the King James Bible, or is otherwise biased, because the trinity, along with a host of other religious teachings that are not true, that has such a strangle hold on so many.

Lon

Lon? You are being hyper-sensitive.
When someone says "you are wrong, I will demonstrate" that is not a personal attack, and that is entirely within the normally accepted bounds of a normal healthy proper discussion. Maybe you are used to an environment where you were revered or everyone walked on eggshells, maybe you are of a tradition that would never ever come out and say "the emperor has no clothes" but this isn't that type of place.
1) You cannot tell the whole church it is wrong. You can 'try.' When you get my views, they are not, after all, just my views. I tend to tote the orthodox line on most issues. Therefore "you are wrong" is a bit audacious.
2) I 'can' be wrong at times, but my theology is well-gelled AND yours isn't. You need to look to home, more often than you do.
3) Hyper-sensitive? :think: Perhaps, at times. Rather, I think you offend, perhaps without purpose, but it is clearly implied.
Such always comes from arrogance. I too, am arrogant, but I've spent a lot of years coming to my conclusions AND most of them, though well-thought out myself, are from the orthodox (right theology) position of the church. Annihilation is within my acceptance, but you are not going to talk me out of ECT nor are you correct 'we' are wrong. That is simply childish thinking. There are WAY too many of us and in many different denominations for you to have that kind of prowess OR authority. Because of that, presumptuous statements of feigned superiority must-necessarily have to be your problem and your problem projected upon others. Has to be.

I'll take the first example in point from your reply:

1) If you berate someone for using an authority other than scripture,
2) but then attack them when they correctly speak when their words are practically a scripture quote from the accepted Canon
3) that action is hypocritical. Your action is not consistent with your words. That is what the word "hypocritical" entails.
And I showed you 'why' it wasn't true. You are attempting to make 'your' thinking the 'only' thinking in a pool of thoughts. Within the realm of Christian discussion, such as on TOL, there are orthodox (right theology) expressed, heterodox (perhaps acceptable by the church such as "annihilation" and heresy (completely rejected by the church militant). This topic, as mentioned, delves more into heterodoxy but those espousing heresy are expressing here as well. When in a conversation, the context will always be concerned with one or more of these contexts. If you miss the context, you would assume 'hypocrisy' without realizing you are incorrect.
Notice I did not say "You are a Hypocrite" because whether you are or are not is really up to you. Someone that recognizes an action as being non-desirable and changes is not a hypocrite. Someone that refuses to change and owns the behavior becomes the hypocrite.
"Implied" and strongly. Nice try, no distance. We are absolutely back to square one and you have fouled on this attempt, in shot-put terms.

By the way, my example had no dependence on "innocent lives" - they were merely lives. And if you will call those conditions "atrocious" but not that which is extended by infinite duration and/or degree and/or amounts, then that does seem hypocritical...
Much better. "Seems" allows another to respond to you and it invite input for what 'seems' hypocritical. "This is hypocritical" is a declarative and is rather accusatory that does not invite dialogue and in this case, it was incorrect. Example: Mormons and Urantians will tell you that Jesus Christ is Lord and our Savior. Neither of them mean what you might think they mean. You and I likely fully agree that by Savior, we mean He is the substitutionary atonement for our sins. Neither Mormon nor Urantian do. They also do not see the Lord Jesus Christ as being God so their idea of 'Lord' is something they can attain to themselves. He is not 'much' different to them, than you and I. Therefore, you are not at all hypocritical, because the language may be the same, but the expression is heresy. "Agreeing" and you give assent to those heresies, probably through ignorance. The bad part of this is, by example, you calling a Christian 'hypocritical' when he/she is not at all, and you've made a serious blunder. This is the context of your accusation here is well. Just because words may be similar, you are not showing comprehension of the greater concern.

Derf

[MENTION=17606]Derf[/MENTION] ... I will come back to the point where we had excellent discussion, and I believe that I have a much more solid scriptural path now. But to be completely forthright... I have to work from the beginning to the "end" ... if I'm going to get it right.

I was working backwards... and that isn't worth a lick of good. Your questions remain important to me! I want to see if I can sharpen up here, before we end up "there" again.

All my best and all the Grace of Christ to you,

- EE
Looking forward to it.

I'm not sure I can keep up with all the extra chatter going on, but I'll try.

Lon

W2G, I've unblocked you, but you still sound the same. "illegitimate totality transfer of death" is not only without normal meaning, but an "because I declare so" isn't solid support.
:think: W2G is saying that if you disallow the idea that death can only mean one thing, then you've committed the illegitimate totality transfer fallacy regarding death. This is regarding Greek, but by it, it deals with translations as well:

5. Illegitimate totality transfer

Many Greek words have a wide and vast semantic range (mentioned above). There may be numerous meanings for the same word; however context usually tells us which is correct. This fallacy is rooted in the idea that the meaning of a word in a specific context is much broader than the context itself allows and may entail the entire range of a word's meaning. Or, this fallacy "assumes that a word carries all of its senses in any one passage" (Darrell Bock, in Introducing NT Interpretation, p. 110).

In the words of David Alan Black, "Most Greek words are “polysemous”, that is, they have many possible meanings, only one of which is its semantic contribution to any passage in which it occurs. (In case you were wondering: Reading all of the meanings of a Greek word into any particular passage in which it occurs is called “illegitimate totality transfer” by linguists.)”
See here for other problems with biblical understanding/interpretation as well.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
EE,

You are a very poor bible student, who tries to make the verses say what you believe.

You have been told by one who knows.

LA

You are granted your rebuttal towards me. I take it in stride. I'm still happy you defended atonement. I've also noticed a sincere heart that is seeking lately and I have seen progression in your understanding of scripture. This is all I'll say about the matter for now.

All respect,

- EE

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
You are changing the subject of this thread for no good reason.

Jesus has been given the Fathers name.

You claim Jesus gave it to Himself or He lost it to gain it again.

So you can take your modalism to another thread like a good fellow.

LA

I am no longer concerned with your assertion of what you "think" I believe. I again am at a measure of peace with you for now.

All respect,

- EE