Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

way 2 go

Gehenna does not translate as Hell. It is a place and a word used to mean destruction. Gehenna: Mentioned twelve or thirteen times in the bible. Christ came speaking in parables. Gehenna: Referring to the Valley of Hinnom, or Gehenna which is the city dump outside the walls of Jerusalem.

According to Archaeologist, there is no evidence to support that Gehenna was a place for burning garbage. There were however lots of Potsherds found.

Jeremiah 19:2
and go out to the Valley of Ben Hinnom, near the entrance of the Potsherd Gate. There proclaim the words I tell you,

Jeremiah 19:11
and say to them, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty says: I will smash this nation and this city just as this potter’s jar is smashed and cannot be repaired. They will bury the dead in Topheth until there is no more room.

you have it backwards

Jesus spoke of the real Hell not a garbage dump that the people
referred to as hell.

a city or place might be referred to as hell but that is
because there is real hell they are named after

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Research the facts.......

Research the facts.......

you have it backwards

referred to as hell.

Reminder:

Gehenna was a garbage dump and place of child sacrifice, ....the fire there burned up what was there and worms consumed whatever organic there. Gehenna is not 'hell', but was the word Jesus used to describe a place of utter desolation, death and destruction. Gehenna was later identified with a traditional concept of 'hellfire', redefined in figurative terms....but its original description is a physical location in the valley of the Son of Hinnom. Sorry....the fire there is no longer burning. Its all figurative.

Why people want to continue preaching eternal hellfire is more indicative of one's own psychology and belief-system. It also represents their own twisted concept of justice which fosters suffering instead of glorifying the triumph of love and the divine will.

rstrats

ok doser,
re: "what does his 'want' have to do with it?"

Well if that is what he wants, it would help explain why he tries to interpret scripture to say that eternal torture is to be the fate of the unsaved.

way 2 go

Reminder:

Gehenna was a garbage dump and place of child sacrifice, ....the fire there burned up what was there and worms consumed whatever organic there. Gehenna is not 'hell', but was the word Jesus used to describe a place of utter desolation, death and destruction. Gehenna was later identified with a traditional concept of 'hellfire', redefined in figurative terms....but its original description is a physical location in the valley of the Son of Hinnom. Sorry....the fire there is no longer burning. Its all figurative.
detroit not the real hell but you can see it from there.

but Jesus used other words to describe the fate of those who hate him

Mat_13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth

Mat_18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Why people want to continue preaching eternal hellfire is more indicative of one's own psychology and belief-system. It also represents their own twisted concept of justice which fosters suffering instead of glorifying the triumph of love and the divine will.

Jesus warns people of eternal fire and he laid down his life
to save people from a penalty they could not pay

the lie of karma says it is possible to pay for your own sins
but of course it is a lie

way 2 go

ok doser,
re: "what does his 'want' have to do with it?"

Well if that is what he wants, it would help explain why he tries to interpret scripture to say that eternal torture is to be the fate of the unsaved.

have not seen you explain what you believe and why you believe it :think:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
detroit not the real hell but you can see it from there.

but Jesus used other words to describe the fate of those who hate him

Mat_13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth

Mat_18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Jesus warns people of eternal fire and he laid down his life
to save people from a penalty they could not pay

the lie of karma says it is possible to pay for your own sins
but of course it is a lie

You reap what you sow. However, there is no god inflicting eternal torment but one who does not love you or care if you suffer for all eternity. That is not love.

CherubRam

you have it backwards

referred to as hell.

Hell is the Serpent's doctrine.

Daniel 8:12
Because of rebellion, the LORD’s people and the daily sacrifice were given over to it. It prospered in everything it did, and truth was thrown to the ground.
Scripture is God's truth.

Catholic Gnosticism.
The attitude of the Catholic Church toward paganism is best summed up by Pope Gregory the Great, in his words to a missionary: “You must not interfere with any traditional belief or religious observance that can be harmonized with Christianity.”

Not only were the Congregations divided by Gnosticism, but enticed by philosophy and paganism also, and there were geographic divisions as well.
Pope Gregory 540 – 12 March 604.

Revelation 12:9
The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his (angels / messengers) with him.

Just a reminder that it was the Catholic Church that canonized scripture.

CherubRam

People who preach the Serpent's doctrine are doing the will of their father the Serpent. The bible gives us clues as to whom are the people who divide us from within.

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Catholic Gnosticism.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The attitude of the Catholic Church toward paganism is best summed up by Pope Gregory the Great, in his words to a missionary: “You must not interfere with any traditional belief or religious observance that can be harmonized with Christianity.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pope Gregory 540 – 12 March 604 AD.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Not only were the Congregations divided by Gnosticism, but enticed by philosophy and paganism also, and there were geographic divisions as well.

[/FONT]

way 2 go

Hell is the Serpent's doctrine.
Daniel 8:12
Because of rebellion, the LORD’s people and the daily sacrifice were given over to it. It prospered in everything it did, and truth was thrown to the ground.
Scripture is God's truth.
even Daniel knew there is a hell

Dan 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

way 2 go

You reap what you sow. However, there is no god inflicting eternal torment but one who does not love you or care if you suffer for all eternity. That is not love.

you have nothing except an empty lie of karma

Rom 7:9 I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died.

you were once alive and now you are dead and no amount of
what you call good karma is going to undo that

Joh 5:40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life

CherubRam

even Daniel knew there is a hell

Dan 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Are you stupid or what? Keep that up and people will think you are Satan himself.

rstrats

way 2 go,
re: "have not seen you explain what you believe"

I believe that there is no scripture that has to be interpreted no other way than to mean that the fate of the unsaved is to spend eternity in conscious torment. With the possible exception of the devil's fate in Revelation 20:10, as the KJV and similar translations have it, "torment" and "eternal" are never found in conjunction with each other.

BTW, you have a question directed to you in post #4875.

way 2 go

Are you stupid or what? Keep that up and people will think you are Satan himself.

did not take you long to run out of substance.

oh-really-now.gif

Ben Masada

Is the doctrine of eternal conscious torment biblical or not? For the 328th time, no, it is not! What it is about to become an eternal torment is what this thread is causing and I believe to all of us. For heaven's sake, is this a race to complete a million times or superstitious fear of hell-fire? Please, let's set the locker on this thread!

way 2 go

Is the doctrine of eternal conscious torment biblical or not? For the 328th time, no, it is not! What it is about to become an eternal torment is what this thread is causing and I believe to all of us. For heaven's sake, is this a race to complete a million times or superstitious fear of hell-fire? Please, let's set the locker on this thread!
the doctrine of eternal conscious torment is biblical

you don't have to read this thread if it bothers you.

way 2 go

way 2 go,

Do you want the folks who end up not being included in the Book of Life to spend eternity being tortured?

1Co_6:2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world?
1Co_6:3 Do you not know that we are to judge angels?

justice

I trust God will be just.

Psa 97:2 Clouds and thick darkness are all around him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist

Yes....all insanity should cease, for God's sake.

Timotheos

Joh 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Yes, I agree with John 3:36 of course, whoever the wrath of God remains on will not see life, not even eternal life in hell being tortured alive, but I didn't ask you what you thought about John 3:36, I asked you if you had considered John 3:16. What do you think about John 3:16, as it pertains to this topic?