Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Ben Masada

re: "Annihilation. Gone. No longer alive."

But in spite of the fact that there is no scripture that says that anyone - with the possible exception of the devil as the KJV has it - will be given eternal life and tortured for eternity, there are some that for some macabre reason want the unsaved to be tortured 24/7 without end. .

The Devil does not exist as a being. The Devil is only an concept to illustrate the inclination inclination in man. There is nothing literal about the Devil.

way 2 go

"Eternal punishment" is not a process of punishment that is eternal, it is a punishment that has an eternal consequence: death. Death, and cessation of the soul, is an eternal punishment. It will not be reversed. The wages of sin is death. Sorry for your confusion.

you say things with out proof.

eternal life for Christians and eternal punishment for the unrighteous .

Dan 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Isa 14:9 The place of death is excited that you are coming. Sheol is waking the spirits of all the leaders of the earth for you. Sheol is making the kings stand up from their thrones to meet you.
Isa 14:10 They will make fun of you, saying, "Now you are as dead as we are. Now you are just like us."

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
ECT is still problematic.......

ECT is still problematic.......

Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

We've addressed Matt. 25:46 .....here and elsewhere.

Also see: "Eternal" Punishment (Matthew 25:46) Is NOT Found In The Greek New Testament.

Throwing at the same ole verses held with the same preconception and prefigured 'definition' over and over again, .....doesn't make it right or rational. In this thread I've (we've) already challenged ECT on principle alone, and on the moral/philosophical dilemma of such a 'belief', - these problems are not just 'solved' by an emphatic 'belief-statement'. It just represents a 'belief' or 'interpretation' of the text. You're still stuck with a 'version' of 'God' who condemns souls to 'eternal suffering' for all eternity, to no end. That is insanity.

If you're offering this 'version' of 'God' to humanity,...you'll likely not get very many converts.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
The Devil does not exist as a being. The Devil is only an concept to illustrate the inclination inclination in man. There is nothing literal about the Devil.

That's one view :) - and from a Jewish perspective,...even the character of Satan (not necessarily equated with 'the devil') is but a servant of 'God', having nothing to do with a contrived 'Lucifer' character either ;) - but don't spoil the fun Ben! - you know some systems need to have certain characters in the 'story-line' to 'map' out the theology and better express or personalize the epic struggle between good and evil. - and on one level it doesn't matter if the 'story' is 'historical' or 'mythological' or a blend thereof....it still comes down to HOW its all 'translated' or 'interpreted'.

rstrats

way 2 go,
re: "eternal life for Christians and eternal punishment for the unrighteous ."

If the unrighteous are going to be tortured eternally, they will also have to be given eternal life. What scripture do you have that says that the unsaved will be given immortality and thus eternal life?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
way 2 go,

If the unrighteous are going to be tortured eternally, they will also have to be given eternal life. What scripture do you have that says that the unsaved will be given immortality and thus eternal life?

good point

way 2 go

way 2 go,

Why would the need to be given eternal life?
They will be alive but dead to God just like in this life.

way 2 go

We've addressed Matt. 25:46
you have addressed it and are wrong

Also see: "Eternal" Punishment (Matthew 25:46) Is NOT Found In The Greek New Testament.
lies
Throwing at the same ole verses held with the same preconception and prefigured 'definition' over and over again,
it says eternal punishment I am not redefining it you are.

.....doesn't make it right or rational.In this thread I've (we've) already challenged ECT on principle alone, and on the moral/philosophical dilemma of such a 'belief', - these problems are not just 'solved' by an emphatic 'belief-statement'.

It is not right for you to neglect Jesus sacrifice for you

Heb 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation;

you will not escape,
you will pay for your sins and the cost is eternal punishment
unless you accept Jesus as your saviour

It just represents a 'belief' or 'interpretation' of the text. You're still stuck with a 'version' of 'God' who condemns souls to 'eternal suffering' for all eternity, to no end. That is insanity.

God said eternal punishment he could have said it differently
but didn't so he meant what he said so choose wisely whom you are going to serve

"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve,"
Jos 24:19 But Joshua said to the people, "You are not able to serve the LORD, for he is a holy God. He is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions or your sins.
Jos 24:20 If you forsake the LORD and serve foreign gods, then he will turn and do you harm and consume you, after having done you good."

If you're offering this 'version' of 'God' to humanity,...you'll likely not get very many converts.

repent

Num 14:34 According to the number of the days in which you spied out the land, forty days, a year for each day, you shall bear your iniquity forty years, and you shall know my displeasure.'
Num 14:35 I, the LORD, have spoken. Surely this will I do to all this wicked congregation who are gathered together against me: in this wilderness they shall come to a full end, and there they shall die."
Num 14:36 And the men whom Moses sent to spy out the land, who returned and made all the congregation grumble against him by bringing up a bad report about the land—
Num 14:37 the men who brought up a bad report of the land—died by plague before the LORD.

Luk 19:27 But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.'"

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and the unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, will have their part in the Lake burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

way 2 go

way 2 go,
re: "love hates evil"

And it would be the ultimate evil to torture someone for eternity because during their fleeting few years of life they didn't meet certain religious requirements.

1 you cant meet the requirements hence Jesus sacrifice.

Heb 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation;

it is so great because it is eternal punishment

2 so you would have God call evil good and good evil ?

Isa_5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!

rstrats

way 2 go,
re: "it is so great because it is eternal punishment"

And for some ghastly reason you want the punishment to be torture even tho scripture says that the punishment for sin is death. Show me a scripture that says that anyone - other than the devil as the KJV has it - will be given immortality and tortured for eternity.

re: "so you would have God call evil good and good evil ?"

What!!!!! Where on earth did I even imply such a thing?

Last edited:

way 2 go

Yes, i'm afraid that a handful of years on earth, getting it wrong and making many mistakes does not justify eternal suffering.

everyone has an eternal spirit and if it were possible
for you to pay for your own sins Jesus would
not have had to have been crucified .

rstrats

way 2 go,
re: "Why would the need to be given eternal life?"

So that you folks who want to torture someone 24/7 for eternity would be able to do so.

rstrats

way 2 go,
re: "everyone has an eternal spirit..."

I'm not aware of any scripture that says that the spirit in man is inherently eternal. What do you have in mind?

way 2 go

way 2 go,
re: "everyone has an eternal spirit..."

I'm not aware of any scripture that says that the spirit in man is inherently eternal. What do you have in mind?

you don't have any verses saying that the spirit of a man is not eternal

Ecc 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart,