Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
same purpose as executing a child molester

justice

deterrent to others

no it is not -
executing child molesters prevents others from being molested -
eternal suffer does not -
they are already dead -

eternal suffering has purpose for you -
because -
you don't think God can destroy them -
you have no good reason to believe that -

musterion

no it is not -
executing child molesters prevents others from being molested -
eternal suffer does not -
they are already dead -

They dead aren't the point.

The knowledge of judgment and condemnation, along with the conscience, has acted as a restrainer on much (not nearly all) wickedness among the living over the centuries.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
They dead aren't the point.

The knowledge of judgment and condemnation, along with the conscience, has acted as a restrainer on much (not nearly all) wickedness among the living over the centuries.

do you believe God can destroy the soul? -

genuineoriginal

what makes you guys think this has anything to do with a desire for suffering on the parts of those who read scripture differently than you?

is it because your interpretations are based primarily on your desires?

i believe that's called projection
My interpretations are based primarily on God's desires as described in the Bible, not on my desires.

From reading the Bible multiple times and attempting to understand the big picture of what God desires for mankind and from mankind, it became obvious to me that God has no desire to keep any human in perpetual torture.

Since it is not God's desire to keep anyone in perpetual torture, the people that are projecting their desires into scripture are the ones that believe in perpetual torture.

However, as I pointed out previously, perpetual torture comes from the Greek mythology about Tartarus and not the Biblical accounts of sheol and the lake of fire.

Derf

Derf, I am continuing to comment on your objections to the long post in which I set out some of the Biblical Proof against ECTism.

Actually, I did not "focus on the word perish". In Matthew 3:12 I talked about the word "katakausai", and in Luke 13:3 I talked about the word perish. I didn't "focus" on either apoleisthe (perish) or katakausai (burn down). I just looked at what the Bible said and agreed with what it said.
So you agree that you "talked about" the word "perish" in Lu 13:3? Do you realize that when you take a particular word from a verse and concentrate on that word--even giving the Greek for it without giving the Greek for any other word in the same verse--when you talk about the verse, that is the same as "focusing" on that word? It doesn't mean anything bad, but it is what you did, and what you said you did ('in Luke 13:3 I talked about the word perish') after you said you didn't do it ('Actually, I did not "focus on the word perish"'). This makes it hard to converse with you. I think it makes people want to throw unflattering epithets at you, too.
That's true, and it is the point. Just as the Galileans were killed, that is what will happen to those who refuse to repent. We all agree that the Galileans were not tortured alive.

Yes, but Jesus said that their deaths were an example of what will happen to those who refuse to repent.

Just as the Galileans perished, so will the unrepentant perish. You haven't shown that perish does not mean "to die".
No, I agree that perish means "to die", but neither "perish" nor "die" seem to mean "be totally annihilated", which is what you proposed. Because in both of those case, they, likewise to everybody else, are promised a resurrection, either to life eternal or some kind of torment. Even if you don't agree with me, can you at least acknowledge that there is more yet to come for them to experience? And if there is more yet to come, then using it as a verse to say there's no eternal torment is not much help to your argument?

It is fruitless to keep saying "die means die, so therefore there is no eternal torment." It's not a sufficient argument. We are beyond that point and on to another one--discussing how "die" plays out.

Timotheos

So you agree that you "talked about" the word "perish" in Lu 13:3? Do you realize that when you take a particular word from a verse and concentrate on that word--even giving the Greek for it without giving the Greek for any other word in the same verse--when you talk about the verse, that is the same as "focusing" on that word? It doesn't mean anything bad, but it is what you did, and what you said you did ('in Luke 13:3 I talked about the word perish') after you said you didn't do it ('Actually, I did not "focus on the word perish"'). This makes it hard to converse with you. I think it makes people want to throw unflattering epithets at you, too.

No, I agree that perish means "to die", but neither "perish" nor "die" seem to mean "be totally annihilated", which is what you proposed. Because in both of those case, they, likewise to everybody else, are promised a resurrection, either to life eternal or some kind of torment. Even if you don't agree with me, can you at least acknowledge that there is more yet to come for them to experience? And if there is more yet to come, then using it as a verse to say there's no eternal torment is not much help to your argument?

It is fruitless to keep saying "die means die, so therefore there is no eternal torment." It's not a sufficient argument. We are beyond that point and on to another one--discussing how "die" plays out.

My point was that you completely ignored my comment about katakausai, and then you claimed that I "focused" on the word "perish", which I simply did not do. To focus on something is to look ONLY at that thing and nothing else. Where the Bible said "katakausai", I looked at the word katakausai. Where the Bible said "perish", I looked at perish. Your post was misleading at best. It seems that you are only focusing on the word "perish" and how you think that it might not mean perish, but you are ignoring all of the other evidence. Then you are throwing up smokescreens - "You talked about perish", trying to imply that I really did FOCUS on perish. You aren't being fair in your accusations. The reason people "throw unflattering epithets" at me, is not due to anything I've posted, it is a personal failing of those who enjoy insulting other people. You and I are better than that. We both agree that there is no reason for anyone to insult anyone else, and we both know that insults do not prove that the person being insulted is wrong.

Timotheos

No, I agree that perish means "to die", but neither "perish" nor "die" seem to mean "be totally annihilated", which is what you proposed.

Excuse me, but I have NEVER proposed that to "perish" or to "die" mean "to be totally annihilated".
I believe my actual claim was that to perish and to die mean "to no longer remain alive", and you can look up the meaning of perish and die in any dictionary to discover the meaning of these words.

ECTists LOVE to insert words into my mouth. Since you are not an ECTist, you do not need to make claims that I said something I never said.

genuineoriginal

what "body" is gonna be in hell?

far as i know, the bodies stay in the cemeteries
Not at the Judgment.

Revelation 20:13 CEB
13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and Death and the Grave gave up the dead that were in them, and people were judged by what they had done.​