Is Name calling and mocking ever warranted from a Christian?

Is Name calling and mocking ever warranted from a Christian?

• Never under any circumstances

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Always when talking to any unsaved person

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • It depends on the circumstance

Votes: 32 66.7%

• Total voters

Mateo

Mateo,

I've re-read your post twice and I'm not sure which of the three positions you would take in the poll...

Zakath,

Willie's got company

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Agent Smith
I was once confronted by a "fag with attitude", "I'm gay do you have a problem dealing with that?" My reply(censored of course), "No, I'm heterosexual do have a problem with me putting a size 10 steel toe boot ************* all the way around the block if you touch me?"
I would have replied, "Of course not. I'm not the one going to Hell. You are."

Zakath

Resident Atheist
I think sodomite is too broad a term to be offensive in the way you intend. Since the definition of sodomy depends entirely on the state in which someone lives...

For instance, here in Virginia we're a bit old fashioned and all oral sexual activity is considered sodomy, under the law (Virginia Statute 18.2-361). It is considered a felony and punishable by up to five years in state prison. Thus there are many "sodomites" who are heterosexuals here in Virginia.

Of course your "liberal" state of Indiana repealed their sodomy law in 1977. :chuckle:

Last edited:

SOTK

Re: Is Name calling and mocking ever warranted from a Christian?

Originally posted by Poly

Do situations ever arise where we as Christians should mock or call people names? Please give your reasoning and scriptures for your answer.

Yes. However, sometimes "calling people names" or "mocking them" is more of stating a truth or making an observation than calling them a name. I don't see where calling a spade a spade is a problem. Sometimes telling someone the truth is more important than sparing them hurt feelings.

I'm glad that I've had certain Christians in my life who have loved me enough to tell me where I've been wrong. Sometimes I was called names. It sure got my attention!

SOTK

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I voted it depends on the circumstances. I think if the Bible calls them something, then it's okay. According to the Bible, Zakath is a fool. And any other atheist.

Berean Todd

I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe someone allready got it, but the best mocking in the Bible was done by Elijah in his contest with the priests of the false gods.

1 Kings 18:27 It came about at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said, "Call out with a loud voice, for he is a god; either he is occupied or gone aside, or is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and needs to be awakened."

servent101

Jesus seemed to hold the most harsh words for the Pharisees and the Religious leaders of the time - the instruction he gave to the people was not in any way belittling them, or harsh. He took people where they were at, and was able to bring about some improvement - Jesus did not spell it out like the Church today does - He was telling people and showing people to seek the Truth - as you would hidden treasure.

For a sinner - Jesus would not call them names - the harsh instruction He gave was to the religious leaders, I think Jesus would still use the same harshness in dealing with the Christian Church - which in general encourages people to Preach in a way that offends people - Jesus would have hard words for those people - those who offend people who are trapped in their sin - unable to help - and by their lives they confuse a Spirit filled walk with strict fundamental, literalist orthodox teachings. We have our Pharisees today in abundance in the orthodox church – am I the only one who notices?

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by servent101

Jesus seemed to hold the most harsh words for the Pharisees and the Religious leaders of the time...

For a sinner - Jesus would not call them names - the harsh instruction He gave was to the religious leaders...
servent101,
The religious leaders of the time were sinners and unbelievers. Jesus' approach generally depended on the attitude of the people he addressed.

SOTK

Originally posted by Turbo

servent101,
The religious leaders of the time were sinners and unbelievers. Jesus' approach generally depended on the attitude of the people he addressed.

:thumb:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by servent101

Jesus seemed to hold the most harsh words for the Pharisees and the Religious leaders of the time - the instruction he gave to the people was not in any way belittling them, or harsh. He took people where they were at, and was able to bring about some improvement - Jesus did not spell it out like the Church today does - He was telling people and showing people to seek the Truth - as you would hidden treasure.

For a sinner - Jesus would not call them names - the harsh instruction He gave was to the religious leaders, I think Jesus would still use the same harshness in dealing with the Christian Church - which in general encourages people to Preach in a way that offends people - Jesus would have hard words for those people - those who offend people who are trapped in their sin - unable to help - and by their lives they confuse a Spirit filled walk with strict fundamental, literalist orthodox teachings. We have our Pharisees today in abundance in the orthodox church – am I the only one who notices?

With Christ's Love

Servent101
I also notice. This has been my stance in many conversations with Jefferson. Jesus called out the self-righteous. The vile people we read about Jesus ministering to all loved Him, because He loved them. Those people knew they needed to be freed from their sinful lives. However, if there are people who don't believe they need God, we are to show them that they do. We must present the Truth to them in a way they will accept. If we alienate them, we have failed.

Last edited:

servent101

Lighthouse -
We must present the Truth to them in a way they will accept. If we alienate them, we have failed.

Yes - and in other words
Preach to people in a way that does not offend them

And if someone is to be offended - they already have heard - many times - what is the hope for them? - they still have hope - it is just a matter of not making the matter worse - and learning how to preach to people/praying for people/ seeing the best in people and trying to bring that out. - Some people can and are called to preach persuasively - but they are far and few between - too many Christians just go out and make the problem worse - I know when I try - I often make the matter worse - and when I meet people who have been battered and bruised by Bible Thumping Bashing Adrenalin addicted junkies - it is impossible to share anything with them - so I try to call the Bible Thumping - Bashing Adrenalin addicts on to the mat - and am not successful there either - so back to the drawing board - live a life consecrated to Christ - the prayers of a righteous man will accomplish much – Confess one’s sin and God will cleanse one of all unrighteousness.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Nineveh

Merely Christian
I find no matter how "nice" I may try to be, telling others about the Rock of Offense (Rom 9:33, 1 Peter 2:8) it can be taken as offensive.

SOTK

Originally posted by Nineveh

I find no matter how "nice" I may try to be, telling others about the Rock of Offense (Rom 9:33, 1 Peter 2:8) it can be taken as offensive.

Yep, agreed! :up: