Is marital rape scripturally defensible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Again, a possible argument against marital rape being rape:

Rape is a sin against justice. As Aristotle tells us, there is no injustice against oneself. A wife is an extension of oneself, and in the marital union, there is "but one flesh." Therefore, etc.

I have serious doubts about this argument, but I can see it arising.

Arthur Brain

zupiro.jpg

Well, best not get on the topic of 'swingers' here...

:plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Rape is a sin against justice. As Aristotle tells us, there is no injustice against oneself. A wife is an extension of oneself, and in the marital union, there is "but one flesh." Therefore, etc.

So when the wife responds by severing the member of her sleeping husband she only does herself an injury. :plain:

Arthur Brain

Trad:

Man comes home, wife is in bed asleep, man wakes her up and says he wants sex. Wife says she doesn't. Man says "So what" and forces himself on her.

Rape or not?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
So when the wife responds by severing the member of her sleeping husband she only does herself an injury. :plain:

Yes. That's the counterargument. If my argument holds good, then it is impossible to commit any injustice at all against one's spouse. Therefore, if one murders one's spouse, one actually commits suicide, not murder.

As I said. I have serious doubts about it. :p

WizardofOz

If your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. If your wife causes you to sin, killing her would be an injustice. Your wife is not an extension in the same manner as an eye or a hand. She may have desires, sexual or otherwise, that contradict those of her husband from time to time, for one reason or another.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Back to the initial reason I started posting in this thread, however:

Why on earth did Ktoyou equate rape and bestiality? :confused:

Arthur Brain

Don't know. Rape or not, I wouldn't advise it. It's certainly uncharitable.

"Uncharitable"?!

:freak:

Let's fast forward to a possible conversation over breakfast the following morning eh?

Man: Eh, I'm sorry for waking you up an all for sex but you can't refuse me you know cos I'm your husband.

Wife: It was indeed remiss of me to deny you your conjugal rites and I do hope you can forgive my atrocious feminist attitude by wanting to just be asleep.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You have any particular texts in mind?

The City of God are a collection of books that St. Augustine wrote, it's all in there.

On the subject of sex, he is extremely thorough on the matter. His stance is that when sex is done in carnality rather than in marital volition, the soul becomes corrupted by the body.

By the same point, if a spouse wants to have their conjugal and the other refuses, they are corrupting the marriage because the body is one yet the souls are in enmity.

Why on earth would Ktoyou think that marital rape constitutes bestiality?

Besides the fact that she flat out said it :idunno:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Scorecard so far:

Yes:
genuineoriginal
Crucible
sod

No:
Bright Raven
Bradley D
Arsenios
kmoney
badp
RBBI
dialm
HisServant
chrysostom
CabinetMaker
GuySmiley

If I left anyone off the list, let me know.

Thanks for the reminder, Crucible. :thumb:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
"Uncharitable"?!

Let's fast forward to a possible conversation over breakfast the following morning eh?

Man: Eh, I'm sorry for waking you up an all for sex but you can't refuse me you know cos I'm your husband.

Wife: It was indeed remiss of me to deny you your conjugal rites and I do hope you can forgive my atrocious feminist attitude by wanting to just be asleep.

she coulda just laid back and thought of england

ok doser

Scorecard so far:

Yes:
genuineoriginal
Crucible
sod

No:
Bright Raven
Bradley D
Arsenios
kmoney
badp
RBBI
dialm
HisServant
chrysostom
CabinetMaker
GuySmiley

If I left anyone off the list, let me know.

my answer is no

I apologize if you were confused

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
"Uncharitable"?!

It occurred to me that I never answered this.

I believe that you misunderstood me. What I meant was that it was, at the very least, uncharitable on the part of the husband. Possibly on the part of the wife too, of course...I don't deny this.

But I was referring to the husband when I said it.

ok doser

I just asked you about this in another thread so you're being double minded. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

well, i tried to explain it to you

check the thread title

there's no scriptural defense for the concept of marital rape

truthjourney

well, i tried to explain it to you

check the thread title

there's no scriptural defense for the concept of marital rape
You also said that a Christian husband doesn't rape his wife according to the scriptures. So what do you call that if not claiming scriptural defense for marital rape?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.