Theology Club: Is MAD doctrine correct?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Nice Nick

But Peter's sword move was before the passage under review. So was the one about the twelve not understanding the mission, your evidence is for a lack of a better term, irrelevant context.

What was taught to me was that on the road to Damascus Yeshua expounded all of the scriptures concerning the mission from the Law, the Writings and the Prophets. In other words from Genesis to Malachai.
It is very possible to share the Gospel message using only the Old Testament and this is what is meant by my point in this as the answer to your challenge;

And he said unto them, These are my words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must needs be fulfilled, which are written in the

law of Moses,

and the prophets,

and the psalms,

concerning

me.

Then opened he

their mind,

that they might understand the scriptures;

and he said unto them,

Thus it is written, (In the Law Prophets and Psalms!) that the Christ should suffer, (Isaiah) and rise again from the dead (Zachariah) the third day; and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name unto all the nations, (Moses) beginning from Jerusalem.

Ye are witnesses of these things. (The death burial and resurrection for the remission of sins spoken of in the Old Teatament)

And behold, I send forth the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city, until ye be clothed with power from on high. (Power on high = Holy Spirit, Paul not included in this promise)

And he led them out until they were over against Bethany: and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them. And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he parted from them, and was carried up into heaven. And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with

great joy: (because of their redemption)

(*Luke‬ *24‬:*44-52‬ ASV)

heir

TOL Subscriber
To make a fringe doctrinal dispute (MAD has NO credibility in academic circles and is virtually unknown among virtually all true global Christians) a salvific, essential issue is turning MAD into a sect or cult.

Acts 28:22 But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against.

heir

TOL Subscriber
False dichotomy...you are wrong and the Bible is right. There is a difference between MAD proof texts and contextual exegesis.
says the one who has to explain away verses that contradict what Paul's gospel and doctrine says, the one that doesn't believe scripture means what it says, as it says it and to whom it says it

heir

TOL Subscriber
Natural missionary strategy progression, not change of gospels. Acts is selective history, historical narrative, not didactic. Base your views on all of the NT, including all Paul taught. Your assumptions are simplistic and flawed.
Paul went to whom he was sent, when he was sent and not before he was sent. He was sent more than once: first to the Jew first and also to the Greek, then to all men.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Gal. 1 contrasts true and false gospels (your two gospel theory becomes a false gospel that denies the finished work of Christ). This is like our gospel of grace vs JW or Mormon gospel of works.

Gal. 2 is a demarcation of ministry based on the one true gospel fleshed out and contextualized for different target audiences in Romans and Hebrews.

There is a reason virtually no credible NT scholars or the average guy in the pew adopts MAD.
There were two very real gospels at the writing of Galatians (it's been shown over and over Galatians 2:7 KJV) and yet had anyone preached any other gospel unto the Galatians than that which Paul (or those with him) preached unto them, "let him be accursed".

SaulToPaul 2

Paul went to whom he was sent, when he was sent and not before he was sent. He was sent more than once: first to the Jew first and also to the Greek, then to all men.

Acts is selective history, historical narrative, not didactic :bowser:

Nang

TOL Subscriber

So who gets to pick and choose what to believe out of the Book of Acts?

Reformers, such as myself, believe that every single verse of scripture must be scrutinized by the entirety of scripture. Man must live by every word of God.

Otherwise, any of us can pick and choose from the bible to make it teach anything we want it to teach.

SaulToPaul 2

Reformers, such as myself, believe that every single verse of scripture must be scrutinized by the entirety of scripture. Man must live by every word of God.

Otherwise, any of us can pick and choose from the bible to make it teach anything we want it to teach.

I was mimicking this,

Acts is selective history, historical narrative, not didactic.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You tell us. Have you sold all of your possessions and you now live communally awaiting the restoration of Israel? Why or why not?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I like you Nick. And Heir.
More than that, I think I love you. Even tho you see this doctrine as you do, I still think you guys are awesome believers.

I'll send myself on time out again..

Nang

TOL Subscriber
You tell us. Have you sold all of your possessions and you now live communally awaiting the restoration of Israel? Why or why not?

Do you mean to tell me you cannot read Acts in full comprehension of the context and times, and take nothing from it?

Whether a portion is directly applicable to a Christian's circumstances, does not mean there is no spiritual application.

You start ignoring passages because you think they apply to others and not yourself, you are taking away from the word of God.

Man is to live by every word of God . . . not just some . . . but all.

way 2 go

Man is to live by every word of God . . . not just some . . . but all.

how are you applying these verses to your life.

Luk 12:33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.

Act 4:34 There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold

Nang

TOL Subscriber
how are you applying these verses to your life.

Luk 12:33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.

Act 4:34 There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold

I practice generous charity.

How do you adhere to these biblical instructions?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yikes.

While Acts is much of an historical narrative, it is not merely that. The author fleshes out, and shows, how the Apostles put into place all that which Christ had spoken to them for 40 days after His resurrection, namely "the things pertaining to the kingdom of God" (Acts 1:3). In other words, the Church and her government.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Last time I checked, doctrine is didactic. :AMR:

Then again, this is not:
http://tinyurl.com/mwdbh83 ;)

AMR

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What was written to Israel was written to me

And there you have it.

How rich for me! Your fall is my salvation. :banana:

Romans 11

11 I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? Certainly not! But through their fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles. 12 Now if their fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness!

And I have been brought near by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, not an agreement with Abraham.

Ephesians 2

11 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands— 12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

God planned ahead of time that those that humble themselves and trust him will be Holy and blameless. Not that I deserve it.

Ephesians 1

4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.