Is KJV-only reasoning double-minded?

Logos1560

James 1:8 A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Is there anything wrong with typical KJV-only reasoning in light of what the Scriptures state and teach?

If typical KJV-only reasoning is double-minded, would the Scriptures suggest that there is something wrong with it?

Is being double-minded right or wrong according to the Scriptures?

Typical KJV-only reasoning could easily and soundly be considered double-minded in the following way. It is reasoning with one mind or mindset [one set of measures, standards, or principles] concerning one English translation [the KJV] while reasoning with a different mind or mindset [a different set of measures, standards, or principles] concerning other English translations. Being double-minded would be similar if not the same thing as using double standards or unjust measures. According to what the Scriptures teach, reasoning that uses inconsistent, unjust divers measures would be wrong.

Perhaps some KJV-only advocates may protest that they use the same standard when they assume the KJV as being the standard for itself and then use the KJV as the standard for other English Bibles. But actually that would not be using sound reasoning and just measures. Merely assuming the KJV to be the standard for itself would be wrong reasoning involving use of the fallacy of begging the question. It would also not be consistent, just reasoning in that KJV-only advocates will not consider the 1560 Geneva Bible to be the standard for itself or will not consider the NKJV to be the standard for itself. Thus, it would seem to be double-minded to attempt inconsistently to claim that the KJV is the standard for itself while refusing to make each other English translation the standard for itself. Using fallacies typical KJV-only reasoning makes unproven positive assertions for the KJV that are not made for other English Bible translations, which suggests double-mindedness.

The use of any unrighteous divers weights, unequal or false balances, inconsistent divers measures, unfair or untrue judgments, or double standards in evaluating, judging, trying, or comparing original language manuscript copies of Scripture [likewise printed original language texts and translations] would be wrong according to a consistent application of scriptural truths and principles (Prov. 16:11, 20:10, 11:1, 20:23, Deut. 25:13-15, Ezek. 45:10, Lev. 19:35-36, Amos 8:5, Ps. 82:2, Lev. 19:15, Luke 16:10, Matt. 7:2, John 7:24, Lev. 10:10, Ps. 58:1, Deut. 16:18-20, Ps. 19:7-9). The use of inconsistent, unjust measures could be connected to being double-minded (James 1:8). Like physical measurements, mental and spiritual judgments or measures also should be true and just or righteous (John 7:24, Lev. 19:35, Lev. 19:15, Ps. 119:30, Zech. 7:9, Prov. 12:17, 1 Thess. 5:21). Righteous judgments based on just measures and in line with the wisdom that is from above would be without partiality and without hypocrisy (James 3:17). The making of sound, righteous judgments would be a weighter matter (Matt. 23:23).

A failure to use consistent, “altogether just” measures, standards, criteria, or principles (Deut. 16:20, Prov. 16:11, Ezek. 45:10, Deut. 25:15, Ps. 19:9) in comparing or trying manuscript copies or translations of Scripture would condemn the inconsistent, unfair, uneven, and unjust judgments that would result. That the preserved copies of the Scriptures in the original languages as searched and discerned by just measures should be the proper standard, measure, and authority for trying or evaluating translations of the Scriptures would be a valid implication or deduction drawn from what several verses of Scripture state or indicate.

KJV-only advocates have not demonstrated and do not demonstrate that they make righteous judgments based on use of consistent, sound, just measures in their typical KJV-only reasoning concerning Bible translations. KJV-only reasoning has not been demonstrated to be stable, consistent, single-minded, sound, just reasoning according to scriptural truths or teachings.

Double-minded KJV-only reasoning would be contrary to sound Bible doctrine.

Bradley D

James 1:8 A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Is there anything wrong with typical KJV-only reasoning in light of what the Scriptures state and teach?

Double-minded in Greek is dipsuchos meaning double-minded, wavering
(lit: of two souls, of two selves), double-minded, wavering. Most translations use the word double-minded. It is used in the negative sense as one who is clinging to some worldly things and not giving themselves entirely to God.

Double-minded seems to be used in a good number of other translations also. I have found in word studies the KJV is quite accurate. I use other translations as well.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
(insert any translation)-only reasoning is retarded. There's no Bible that has it all right to the literal degree that 'only-ists' aim for, it's thousands of year old scripture that's been doctored over and over. The KJV did not fall out the sky.

You could pick up any Bible and come to the same exact conclusions so long as you pay attention to context and not make false correlations.

exminister

After 9 years of being a TOL member this is your first topic?

Thats picking your battles.

Since we have original Hebrew for OT and perhaps some NT books translated into Greek and some most likely written in Greek and numbers of translated versions into Latin, Old and new English we have a wealth of opportunities to understand what the Bible intended. Lucky us.

Some just don't like to change and that hard for them but if they do so that's their choice. But I don't see that as being double-minded. It really is putting blinders on a being single-minded which is not a good thing here.

Anyway they do read other versions to defend their devotion to KJV as well as hearing and readings others quote non-KJV.

Logos1560

After 9 years of being a TOL member this is your first topic?

Thats picking your battles.

I think that I had posted here awhile after I first joined, but I do not know why those posts do not show up in my count of posts. I had not posted here for several years. Someone involved in the recent debate in the Battle Royale on KJV-only at this forum had provided me a link to it. I did not find my password for this forum until after that debate was over.

Some just don't like to change and that hard for them but if they do so that's their choice. But I don't see that as being double-minded. It really is putting blinders on a being single-minded which is not a good thing here.

I would agree that KJV-only advocates could be considered single-minded in their devotion to the KJV. In some cases, their devotion to the KJV may be greater than their devotion to God since they will disobey commands from God in the KJV in order to advocate and defend their KJV-only claims. I think that KJV-only advocates will use worldly, carnal tactics and reasoning in order to advocate and defend their single-minded devotion to the KJV. They will also use fallacies [false arguments] in order to defend their KJV-only view. I was not suggesting that KJV-only advocates could not be single-minded in some areas. My question was whether or not they could be considered double-minded in their reasoning that they use to defend their single-minded devotion to the KJV.

Would not attempting to be godly in some areas while willing in effect to be worldly or carnal in their tactics defending the KJV be considered double-minded?

SaulToPaul 2

Double minded would be to try to accept both of these verses as the word of God.

Mark 1:2 (KJV)
Mark 1:2 (NIV)

One of them straight out lied to you.

Logos1560

Double minded would be to try to accept both of these verses as the word of God.

Mark 1:2 (KJV)
Mark 1:2 (NIV)

One of them straight out lied to you.

Both readings have in effect been accepted by KJV-only advocates in their stream or line of pure Bibles. The old Peshitta Syriac Bible is placed on the KJV-only view's stream of pure Bibles by KJV-only authors. The Old Latin Bible is placed on the KJV-only view's stream or line of pure Bibles by KJV-only authors.

The Peshitta Syriac Bible has the reading "Isaiah the prophet" at Mark 1:2. That can be seen in two English translations of the Peshitta Syriac [the 1850's Murdock's NT and the 1900's Lamsa].
The Old Latin Bible also has the reading "Isaiah the prophet" at Mark 1:2. Dean John William Burgon, a favorite scholar of KJV-only authors, acknowledged that the Old Latin version had the name of Isaiah at Mark 1:2 (Unholy Hands, Vol. I, pp. B-53-B-54).

Are you suggesting the KJV-only view's stream-of-pure-Bibles argument is double-minded?

RBBI

Double mindedness is a reference to the carnal mind and the mind of Christ, being in operation in a believer. We are to RENEW our minds. Peace

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Typical KJV-only reasoning could easily and soundly be considered double-minded in the following way. It is reasoning with one mind or mindset [one set of measures, standards, or principles] concerning one English translation [the KJV] while reasoning with a different mind or mindset [a different set of measures, standards, or principles] concerning other English translations.

Logos,

If my reasoning begins as follows, would you consider it "double-minded"?

In the course of time, as language, literature, printing, and scholarship came to its zenith for English speaking people, God, in His providence and by many visible and invisible means, allowed His perfect written word to appear, at once, in modern English, sanctioned by God's representative, for the purpose of saving souls and making wise the simple throughout the growing British Empire.

The burden of proof rests upon all later challenges to this status to fulfill at least these qualifications if not exceed them. As they cannot, and especially as they differ from each other, they must, therefore, be the enemy's tool for division.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I've seen and read many different Bible versions. For me, my personal choice is the KJV because it expresses God's word better than all others that I have ever read. :rapture:

keypurr

I've seen and read many different Bible versions. For me, my personal choice is the KJV because it expresses God's word better than all others that I have ever read. :rapture:

I was brought up using the KJV. But I do not fully trust it. And I do not trust the way most see in it. This why I have many translations. My new favorite is the AENT. I question the Greek to English translations.

Logos1560

Exactly, anything other than KJV CAN lead to confusion and wrong doctrines

Use of only the KJV did not and does not prevent wrong doctrines. Many false doctrines have been advocated using the KJV.

The fallacies and double standards or unjust measures evident in KJV-only reasoning lead to confusion.