• Yes

Votes: 25 96.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I've always found the idea that God is outside of time silly. It is clear from scripture that God interacts with us, who are in time, responding to our actions and prayers. This would be impossible if God had no sense of time. Nor could he have created everything in a sequence of 'days' - doing one thing and then another, building on top of what was previously done.

Well not only that but the bible never bothers to mention that God exists timelessly, which is a good thing since timeless existence is a contradiction.

Revelation 8:1 When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.​

Cross Reference

Well not only that but the bible never bothers to mention that God exists timelessly, which is a good thing since timeless existence is a contradiction.

Revelation 8:1 When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.​

In God's knowledge dealing with the issues where you know time is a factor, His reference is always the present tense. When He says "you are" and you know you aren't and time is needed for making it happen in your thinking, who is right?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
In God's knowledge dealing with the issues where you know time is a factor, His reference is always the present tense.
Chapter and verse please?

(There is no such chapter and verse, by the way.)

When He says "you are" and you know you aren't and time is needed for making it happen in your thinking, who is right?
Both!

There is no contradiction if we are speaking from different perspectives. There are certain things that God has declared that He will bring to pass and it is not a lie to speak of such things as though they already exist. It is a figure of speech but certainly still accurate so long as you are on the same page that God is on.

------------------

This is WAY off topic. Start another thread and we'll discuss it.

Cross Reference

]Chapter and verse please?

(There is no such chapter and verse, by the way.)

Both!

There is no contradiction if we are speaking from different perspectives. There are certain things that God has declared that He will bring to pass and it is not a lie to speak of such things as though they already exist. It is a figure of speech but certainly still accurate so long as you are on the same page that God is on.

Then why speak of them as such? Time is for us . . not Him otherwise He would not be ageless with foreknowledge of your existence before you were conceived. Jeremiah 1:5 KJV, ring a bell..

------------------

This is WAY off topic. Start another thread and we'll discuss it.

I have started another thread . . two of them. Waiting on you.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If God is unable to create a new song, on what basis do you believe Him capable of creating a new Heaven and a new Earth?

If he can't write a new song then he can't make the old heaven and earth, let alone a new one. I think you misunderstood. I didn't say he can't do it. You have to go back to CR and how he was moving his position.

And what do you mean there is no time issue and that things don't come to God's mind?

That is what Lonestar said. I said it isn't so.

Cross Reference

I want to know what CR thinks regarding the nature of God. I already know he is a phony regarding the gospel. I just want to see how far off the deep end he is.

Then read my posts . . for the first time before making your immature accusations.

<moving on>

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Then why speak of them as such?
It is a figure of speech. A rather common one, although I can't think of any examples of it in the bible off the top of my head.

Time is for us . . not Him otherwise He would not be ageless
Chapter and verse, please!

with foreknowledge of your existence before you were conceived. Jeremiah 1:5 KJV, ring a bell..
God is able to know quite a lot about us the moment we are conceived in the womb, well before we are formed. A very great deal of our personality, our likes and dislikes etc are all heavily influenced, if not directly determined by our genes. Jeremiah does not say, nor does it say that God knew us before we existed (i.e. before we were conceived).

I have started another thread . . two of them. Waiting on you.
Care to post a link?

P.S. Stop putting in the extra quote tag at the top of your responses! That is what is responsible for your posts being all screwed up!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm going to re-post my last two on topic posts in an effort to reset the conversation. Hopefully CR will post a link to his new threads so we can continue these other discussion there...

Reactions: Lon

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I can't see how deferring the issue to God's nature solves the question. Don't get me wrong, I am sure we are working towards the same goal and what you have said is important. But it seems to me that you leave unanswered two important questions:
1) Why does God being logical entail that some actions should be moral and some immoral?
I do not understand the question.
What do you mean by "some actions"? Who's actions, God's?

None of God's actions are immoral, which I have no doubt you agree with and so I'm lost, I don't understand what you are asking me.

2) Even if you can show that 1) is true, this still doesn't tell us why shooting school children is a bad thing and not a good thing.
Good and bad are words that have meaningful definitions. Shooting school children would not fall under the definition of good. What is the definition of good, you ask? Well note the quote of Rand that I have in my post...

"...that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil."​

I'm not sure that I would have put "of a rational being" in that statement but since good and evil have no meaning outside of reason it doesn't really damage the definition. Further, the bible teaches the exact same thing...

Proverbs 11:19 As righteousness leads to life, So he who pursues evil pursues it to his own death.

Deuteronomy 30:15 “See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil, 16 in that I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments, His statutes, and His judgments, that you may live and multiply;

And elsewhere

Thus, if that which negates, opposes or destroys life is evil, killing school children would be evil.

The rules of logic are clear: an argument only follows from premises. Being consistent, wouldn't you say that God is subject to the same constraints of logic as we are?
Of course!

Sound reason is not so much constraining your thoughts to the rules of logic as it is containing your thoughts to the limitations of reality. The rules of logic only define what those constraints happen to be. In other words, the rules of logic are not made up or invented, they are discovered. Thus if God is real then He is, by definition, part of reality. The Law of Identity therefore must apply to God or else to say that God is would be meaningless.

And that therefore if we are to speak of God's nature, we are more talking about the premises that control his nature (i.e. his own characteristics) than about the process of logic itself.
I feel the need to make a clarification here. As I've stated in an earlier thread, the word logos is where the English word logic comes from but we use the word logic differently than the Greeks used logos. The best single word translation of logos into English is the word 'Reason'. "Logic" implies the rules that reason follows. Logos refers more to the actual act of reasoning rather than to the rules which govern it.

Not sure that addresses your point here though. I'm not sure there's a substantive difference between speaking of God vs. God's attributes. Perhaps I've missed your point.

Which brings us back to the problem I mentioned earlier that you are only postponing the problem a level. It amounts to the statement that morality is whatever God is.
No!

The notion that morality is whatever God is would mean (logically) that if God were to do something that is currently evil then evil would become good.
If, on the other hand, if the good is that which is proper to life then if God where to do something evil, evil wouldn't become good, God would become evil and destroy Himself in the process.

Of course you might say that I'm talking in circles because God is Life and thus to say that the good is that which is proper to life is effectively the same thing as saying that the good is godliness. Well, it okay for that sort of thing to happen because we are talking about these issue LOGICALLY. In other words, we already know that God would never do anything evil and thus part of this discussion is unavoidable hypothetical. The difference is that while it might sound to untrained ears to being saying the same thing in another way, the fact is that it really isn't the same thing at all because saying that the good is whatever God is renders it meaningless to call God good.

By the way, for clarity's sake we should refrain from using the term "morality" in place of the more specific "morality good" or simply "good" vs. "evil". It can get confusing if we don't because even when you're talking about evil, you're still talking about morality.

I mean, for example, there have been lots of justifications given of things that you regard as evil. The South Africans used the Bible to justify apartheid. Stalin used communist principles espoused by Marx to justify slaughtering millions of his own people. There was always logic involved in these atrocities. And I am sure that at least in some cases, the logic was correct. It was just the premises were wrong.
Well if the premises were wrong then so was the logic.

Its called the Law of Rational Inference. The issue, like any other, can get rather complex but the point is that just because you begin with a premise and go through a process of thought that lead you to draw a conclusion does not mean your conclusion is right. The premises must be valid, germane and true. The form of your argument must also be valid and the conclusion must actually follow from both the premises and the arguments. Errors can be made all along the way by us human beings but not by God who is infinitely knowledgeable, intelligent and wise.

I think it is great that you come to an acceptance that right and wrong actions depend on their context. However, this principle has been derided as giving no direction for future action. I said before that moral rules would give you incorrect guidance 50% of the time if you followed them legalistically. But the opposite is also surely incorrect too: if you have no rules at all and rely purely on context, then you cannot judge any action at all. Don't worry, I am getting to my own answer as well. But as it is Clete's thread, I wanted to ensure he got first bite of the cherry. Also, this is truly a difficult issue, as I also previously stated. So it helps to understand why some of our views on the subject are wrong before being able to appreciate what may be right.
This is a rabbit trail but I thought I'd just throw in that there are moral absolutes. It is never - ever - anything other than evil to murder, rape, commit adultery, molest children or be a homo, etc.

LOL! I think some people did think it was a bit long. But as for me, I just needed a bit more time. Patience!
I really was only finding something to say so that I could get the thread back up on the active threads list. :)

And if you will permit, I promise that I will set out the premises on which my thought is based at the start so that it is completely clear.
I look forward to it!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
genuineoriginal,

I didn't see the following post before having given up on you. I've decided its worth giving you another chance. Just please don't go all stubborn on me again. I actually do want to discuss this with whoever is willing but it has to be a real discussion, not a diatribe.

In the absolute sense, you are right in stating, "it is only to the living that issues of morality apply or matter."

Paul, on the other hand, makes a point in equating mortality to immorality.

Ephesians 2:1
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;​

Colossians 2:13
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;​

If immorality equals death and morality equals life, then what ability do the living have to determine what is immoral?

No, the living are concerned with both immorality and morality, and death or life is the ultimate consequence of immorality or morality, respectively.
Okay, lets define terms. When I refer to morality I am talking about the whole topic of ethics. That is to say that when I (or Rand) say "it is only to the living that issues of morality apply or matter.", I'm saying that "it is only to the living that issues of right and wrong apply or matter."

Thus the point you make and the passages you cite are making the same point that I am. It is because of immorality (wrong) that people are spiritually dead and it is because of righteousness (right) we are made alive.

Thus, as Rand put it...

"...that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil."​

That is a hasty remark from Ayn Rand, since it presupposes that anything done to sustain life is moral, whether it is working for wages or it is stealing food to survive.

No, morality is not morality based on surviving in this life.
Morality is morality based on whether it leads to life everlasting.
PRECISELY!!

Please keep in mind that I have not, do not and would not endorse Rand's philosophy. I merely am using her quotations because her philosophy attempts to be strictly rational and to the extent that it succeeds it remains close to the truth because God is Reason. She made a great many errors, not the least of which was her presupposition that God does not exist. We have not made that error and so by essentially the same line of reasoning Rand used in her atheism we can use in our theism to arrive at just what you said, "Morality is morality (i.e. the right) is based on whether it leads to life everlasting."

Matthew 16:25
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.​

It is moral to lose your life for the sake of Jesus the Messiah.
It is immoral to forsake Jesus the Messiah in order to save your life.
This is something that an Atheist can not understand.
You've got it exactly!

Again, I am not here promoting an atheistic worldview. I am merely using the same arguments an atheist used. The arguments Rand used were entirely valid, what she got wrong was the atheistic premise from which she started. Otherwise, she too would have seen that it does not profit a man to save his physical life and lose his soul.

It is moral because it is rational?
_____
rational
  • agreeable to reason; reasonable; sensible
  • having or exercising reason, sound judgment, or good sense
  • proceeding or derived from reason or based on reasoning
  • being in or characterized by full possession of one's reason; sane; lucid
_____​
This could mean it is moral because it makes sense, it is moral because it is derived from the logical process of reasoning, or it is moral because it comes from sane thoughts.
There isn't any better way to state that than the way I stated it.

That which is moral (morally good) is so because it is rational.

Your argument appears to be that it is moral because it is derived from the logical process of reasoning, which is the argument that was destroyed in my earlier posts.
It is not possible to destroy an argument you never addressed. I can hardly believe I'm having to explain this to you but it seems necessary...

To refute an argument one must address the argument as it has been made. That is, you must demonstrate either than one or more of the argument's premises are false or that the form of the argument was fallacious or that the conclusion does not follow.

And here's the real key point - SAYING IT DOESN'T MAKE IT SO!

In other words, claiming that a premise is false is not proving it false, declaring the form of argument fallacious does not prove it to be fallacious and insisting that the conclusion does not follow doesn't force it to not follow. You HAVE to make an actual counter argument!

Claiming it is moral because it makes sense appears to be begging the question, not stating a tautology, and this thought would need to be developed further before it would be able to be presented as such.
Do you know what "begging the question" means?
Do you know what a tautology is?

This statement of yours seems disconnected from the rest of your post, as though you threw it in as an after thought.

I have made no argument similar to "the right is that which makes sense "to me"". Which is the only form of argument that this pseudo objection would apply to. I'm not making arguments suggesting that issues of right and wrong are matters of opinion or person preference, I'm saying that morality emerges rationally from a single premise - Life.

Claiming it is moral because it comes from sanity presumes that it could be proven that insanity by definition leads only to immorality and that no immoral act can be done by a person that is not insane.
Clearly this is not easily proven.
First of all I've made no such 'sanity' argument but even if I had your objection would not follow because no such presumption as you suggest would be logically necessary in any such argument. The only presumption MIGHT be that insanity is immoral but even that would depend on the actual argument being made. All of which is irrelevant as no such argument has been made in the first place.

The Law was given to the children of Israel by God as a list of rules that they were to follow because God determined that this list would produce a moral society if they were followed.
God Himself does not need such a list, as He is quite capable of determining what is moral and immoral.
God makes judgments about whether a person's actions are moral or immoral based on being able to read the intentions of a person's heart as well as know the circumstances surrounding a person's decision, and not whether the actions are on a list.
The purpose of the Law of Moses was multifaceted and can be discussed elsewhere. The point being that it was right to love your neighbor and wrong to murder him before the Law of Moses was given and thus morality is not defined by the Law. Indeed, it is quite the reverse.

You haven't quite made a good argument to claim that "rational equals moral" is a tautology.
Sure I have!

Morality is that which is consistent with life (i.e. promotes, extends or is in anyway proper to life).
God is Life.
God is consistent with Himself.
Therefore God is moral.

That is basically my whole essay in syllogism form.

You are claiming that an amoral being is non-rational, presuming that all rational beings have a sense of morality and immorality (knowledge of good and evil).
Romans chapter 1 says the same thing.

This is a one-sided argument that you have attempted to flip backwards.
The statement "all men are humans" is a true statement.
The statement "all non-rational beings are amoral" is also a true statement, since having a sense of morality and immorality is precluded on the ability to have rational thought.

The statement "all humans are men" is a false statement, since some humans are children and other humans are women.
The statement "all amoral beings are non-rational" is also a false statement, since it is possible for a rational being to be amoral.
In what way is a rational being able to be amoral?

Only living beings can be rational, by definition, and reason is that beings only means of survival. A living being that attempts to be amoral will die thus his attempt to be amoral is itself immoral because it leads to death. Thus an amoral, rational being is a self-defeating concept that cannot exist. Rand put it this way...

“Man’s mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not. His body is given to him, its sustenance is not. His mind is given to him, its content is not. To remain alive, he must act, and before he can act he must know the nature and purpose of his action. He cannot obtain his food without a knowledge of food and of the way to obtain it. He cannot dig a ditch – or build a cyclotron – without a knowledge of his aim and of the means to achieve it. To remain alive, he must think.
“But to think is an act of choice. The key to what you so recklessly call ‘human nature,’ the open secret you live with, yet dread to name, is the fact that man is a being of volitional consciousness. Reason does not work automatically; thinking is not a mechanical process; the connections of logic are not made by instinct. The function of your stomach, lungs, or heart is automatic; the function of your mind is not. In any hour and issue of your life, you are free to think or to evade that effort. But you are not free to escape from your nature, from the fact that reason is your means of survival – so that for you, who are a human being, the question ‘to be or not to be’ is the question ‘to think or not to think.’ . . .
“Man has no automatic code of survival. His particular distinction from all other living species is the necessity to act in the face of alternatives by means of volitional choice. . . Man must obtain his knowledge and choose his actions by a process of thinking, which nature will not force him to perform. Man has the power to act as his own destroyer – and that is the way he has acted through most of his history. Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged​

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. This was SO MUCH better of a post! If you continue like this, you'll quickly see what I mean when I say that my essay could easily have been three times as long! There is so much depth here its amazing! And we aren't far away from each other on these issues at all. This could turn out to be an amazing thread!

P.S.S. I've added the contents of post 68 (my essay) to the opening post of the thread to make it easier to find and reference in future posts.

Cross Reference

I'm going to re-post my last two on topic posts in an effort to reset the conversation. Hopefully CR will post a link to his new threads so we can continue these other discussion there...

They're there on the index at the top or near the top. Easily recognized with me moniker underneath each one. If you are truly interested you will see them. I have one of your quotes in one of them.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
They're there on the index at the top or near the top. Easily recognized with me moniker underneath each one. If you are truly interested you will see them. I have one of your quotes in one of them.

You're as lazy as a dead rat!

If you won't bother to post a link, go discuss it with yourself.

You choose! I don't care which.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Playing devil's advocate here...

Can He be both?
How is it not a tautology to say that God is both righteous and the standard by which righteousness is determined?

If God is the standard, what if God did something that is currently evil by every moral standard we can name? Would that make God evil or would that change the definition of righteousness?

Resting in Him,
Clete
I have another question. What happened to threads like this?:confused: