Is America great?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Matt Walsh wrote a very interesting blog post about the state of America's greatness or lack thereof. I thought it was an interesting topic on this Independence Day weekend.

Happy Fourth of July. America is not great. Not anymore. America is a land where babies are murdered, the family is disintegrating, marriage is perverted, and every institution is dominated by nihilists and self-worshiping liberals. That’s America. It has betrayed God, and any true patriot should feel a deep and profound anger, not false confidence in our alleged greatness.

I think it’s time, particularly after this past week, that those on the right stop with the blind, frivolous “optimism” that leads us to constantly proclaim America’s “greatness” no matter how corrupt and sinful our culture has become. There is an arrogance in that declaration that, I assure you, does no please God. I doubt very much that God looks down on our culture and agrees with our assertion that we’re still super great and awesome no matter what.

Read more at http://themattwalshblog.com/2015/07/03/america-is-not-great/#MhHMrsID6G0z7C78.99

What are your feelings?? Is America still great?

bybee

Matt Walsh wrote a very interesting blog post about the state of America's greatness or lack thereof. I thought it was an interesting topic on this Independence Day weekend.

Happy Fourth of July. America is not great. Not anymore. America is a land where babies are murdered, the family is disintegrating, marriage is perverted, and every institution is dominated by nihilists and self-worshiping liberals. That’s America. It has betrayed God, and any true patriot should feel a deep and profound anger, not false confidence in our alleged greatness.

I think it’s time, particularly after this past week, that those on the right stop with the blind, frivolous “optimism” that leads us to constantly proclaim America’s “greatness” no matter how corrupt and sinful our culture has become. There is an arrogance in that declaration that, I assure you, does no please God. I doubt very much that God looks down on our culture and agrees with our assertion that we’re still super great and awesome no matter what.

Read more at http://themattwalshblog.com/2015/07/03/america-is-not-great/#MhHMrsID6G0z7C78.99

This is not the America in which I always took such pride and comfort.
We are fast approaching that definition which caused God to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah.
That which is good is curtailed or forbidden. That which is abnormal and against nature is celebrated.

Caino

BANNED
Banned

As a financial and military power yes, but nationalism is the only thing that really binds us together.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

American politicians? No.
American patriots? Yes.

Red_Dirt

You are 100% right with that list of symptoms, Matt. Our numbers are terrible, worse than reported. Lately, I have become of the camp which does not rule out that all this deterioration and depravity is the result of intentional subversion of the American character.
In so many ways, if you think about it, we have seen negative attitudes and behaviour springing up, but have we, as a nation, done anything to reverse or stop it? No, to the contrary, we seem to actually encourage it.
The optimism you see and are somewhat skeptical about may be coming from people who never changed, never lost their senses of right and wrong. These people feel maybe this is all a bad dream we will someday wake up from.

Dan Emanuel

america is still great
you can still vote republican
it is still legal
Essentially this. America is great because it remain's the single greatest government the worlds ever seen. The federalist republic with separated power's outlined in the United State's Constitution is the greatest government ever devised by humanity, and it is a system of government that is just to everybody, and that render's America as the most fertile soil for the Word of God that has ever existed. The Church is free to spread the Gospel of our Lord, and to catechize and evangelize both Christian's and non, with unheard of freedom and detachment from "the sword" (Roman's 13).

I love this place.

Daniel

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

And what makes a nation great anyway? I’d say economic status plays some small part in it, liberties are important, the way the government functions, laws, industries, military — all of these are factors. But I’ll tell you this: In the end, the nation that sends the most people to heaven is the greatest. Period.

No nation is truly great if it leads its citizens away from truth and away from God. It’s as simple as that. You find a country where most of the citizens — the culture itself, predominately — is directed toward God, toward a humble, moral life, toward truth, and you have found a great nation. I don’t care what else it has going for it. I don’t care if it the life expectancy is 27 and it doesn’t have a standing army or WiFi. If the conditions in the country are such that people are living a moral, God-centered life, it is a great country.

I’m not saying we should be a theocracy. I’m not saying the president’s job is to get me to heaven. I’m just saying the purpose of life is to stand in truth, be holy and see God. A culture oriented toward that purpose is great. A culture that is not, is not.

The problem is democracy. When the majority decides who the leaders will be, candidates pander to the most-popular set of sentiments to boost their election chances, rather than standing for truth and justice.

And the legal system, which teaches people, degrades in a similar manner.

Dump democracy. Eliminate votes for presidents. A random guy off the street would most all of the time be better than a man who is willing to make up his morals to please the crowd.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Essentially this. America is great because it remain's the single greatest government the worlds ever seen. The federalist republic with separated power's outlined in the United State's Constitution is the greatest government ever devised by humanity, and it is a system of government that is just to everybody, and that render's America as the most fertile soil for the Word of God that has ever existed. The Church is free to spread the Gospel of our Lord, and to catechize and evangelize both Christian's and non, with unheard of freedom and detachment from "the sword" (Roman's 13).

I love this place.

Daniel

but if you are against abortion and same sex marriage
please keep it to yourself
you might hurt someone's feelings

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If the Bible is true, He never did.

I think God was cheering when US troops rolled through north Africa, pushing Rommell into the sea.

I think He was ecstatic when apartheid was ended in the states.

I think He has had a lot more to rejoice over in a short time with America than He had to with most any other nation.

And I think He might be able to do so again. However, that eventuality will not arise through the actions of the system of government or the courts.

Mocking You

America is still great, but it is in decline. We are still an economic, intellectual, and a military power. We are still a bastion of freedom. But we are losing our morality.

Dan Emanuel

...I think He has had a lot more to rejoice over in a short time with America than He had to with most any other nation.

And I think He might be able to do so again. However, that eventuality will not arise through the actions of the system of government or the courts.
I agree. It will happen in spite of it, beside it, and passively, because of it, but not, as you say, not through it. Churchill was correct in saying that, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." And the best form of democracy, is the American federalist republic with separated power's.

Daniel

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just don't see how this question can be answered by a simple yes or no. (Mind you, my answers are as a general rule. There are always exceptions.)

American military - great
American patriots - great
American politics - not great
American help to other needy nations - great
American Christians - mostly apathetic - not great
American Schools - not great
American children - mostly disrespectful - not great
American families - not great
American values - not great
American pride - not great

RCLady

A nation that murders its unborn children and embraces sodomy is not a great nation. No, America is a disgrace.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

For anyone who has spent any time abroad, America is the best. But it's like a marriage. No one is perfect and there are times when our partners seem like people from Mars.

Patriots should love their country in an adult way. There are still toddler types who assert that "Mommy is good and criticizing her is bad." But others love their mother deeply and if she is drinking too much, they strive to support her and help her escape her bad habits.

Supporting her with the difficult changes needed, but always with love,

People have always looked to the past, sighed, and concluded that the "good old days" were better than the present. The parents in Deuteronomy were so bewildered by their children's behavior that the only avenue open to them was to kill all of them.

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book."
— Marcus Tullius Cicero

There was even graffiti on the walls of Pompeii that lamented the "youth of today."

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

All of it, no, but its still the best country on earth, we are able to openly praise and worship Him and a good part of the faults we have are that we allowed them to happen. Its time to wake up.

I don't consider it arrogant to praise God for the freedom we all have here to witness to the truth.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I agree with Randy Newman on this one:

"America, America,
Step out into the light.
You're the best dream man has ever dreamed
And may all your Christmases be white."

Sigmund Freud's Impersonation Of Albert Einstein In America

Part of out greatness is in our dynamic. We offend the static, the status quo. We offend everyone. We offend each other. Sometimes we offend ourselves.

One generation shakes a finger at the following one and says, "Horrible. You're doomed." And the next generation smiles and says, "You ain't seen nothin' yet."

We may never get it all right, but we'll keep trying, irritating, worrying and staggering toward it, even if we falter, fall and stumble backwards now and then. We'll keep offending and being offended, changing and resisting change. And, because we're built for that and as long as we're built for that we'll survive, we'll even find a way to prosper while all the immutable tyrants of the world fall around us.

That or we'll blow the joint up at some point. :think: It's a crap-shoot.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The truth is that America is great, the church is geat but the wickedness is great also.

It has always been that way....America which gave the world Billy Graham also gave the world Hollywood and Michael Jackson.