Introduction Stephen Muires

Muires

Hello,

I am looking around this forum for one reason only, basically. To see if there's any discussion here of Swedenborgian theology. Haven't found it yet.

I am an ordained minister in that denomination. However, I got fired when I apparently took it all too seriously. Long story.

Today I am not so sure if I'd still call myself a Swedenborgian. Just like the bible his books have been twisted out of recognition.

I joined the Swedenborgian New Church organization as an innocent new member, a seeker for truth. I was welcomed with open arms. The old folks shared their stories with me, what people had done, what ministers had said, why someone had left, or died.

When I expressed an interest in the priesthood, older ministers began to share their own stories. This time from the inside of the organization. I was after all a new soldier, carrying the hope of the future. In the theological seminary we were instructed how to interpret doctrine. The old ladies of Bryn Athyn gossiped about neighbors. College students talked about growing up here. In a men’s group I witnessed tales of in-family pain and abuse, shared in confidence. I sat in on board meetings and heard about land deals, donations, and powerful families that had their own agenda for the church. From the bishop we got the background on hirings and firings, divorces, rogue ministers who had not toed the party line. We listened to, but did not believe, reports from African congregations. There was the occasional suicide.

I got ordained and sent to Sweden. Now I had insight into the paperwork, the contracts, the long term plans. I had the keys to the doors and the passwords to the computers. I got copies of the financial records. My job required it. In the library I read ancient New Church magazines with some very strangely slanted articles in Swedish or Norwegian. Photos of men in uniforms.

I collected it all. This would make a good book some day, I thought.

Well, I got kicked out and that's all water under the bridge now. I did write the book, though, and have recently published it. It's called 'Ordained - a novel.'

Originally I was looking for people who had an attitude of searching, of wanting to understand and enact and apply. I was fooled. Of course.

My website is: https://muires.wordpress.com/

What else should I say by way of introduction? :wave2:

Oh and I hope that searching the forum will be enabled for me at some point. How do I add a signature?

bybee

Hello,

I am looking around this forum for one reason only, basically. To see if there's any discussion here of Swedenborgian theology. Haven't found it yet.

I am an ordained minister in that denomination. However, I got fired when I apparently took it all too seriously. Long story.

Today I am not so sure if I'd still call myself a Swedenborgian. Just like the bible his books have been twisted out of recognition.

I joined the Swedenborgian New Church organization as an innocent new member, a seeker for truth. I was welcomed with open arms. The old folks shared their stories with me, what people had done, what ministers had said, why someone had left, or died.

When I expressed an interest in the priesthood, older ministers began to share their own stories. This time from the inside of the organization. I was after all a new soldier, carrying the hope of the future. In the theological seminary we were instructed how to interpret doctrine. The old ladies of Bryn Athyn gossiped about neighbors. College students talked about growing up here. In a men’s group I witnessed tales of in-family pain and abuse, shared in confidence. I sat in on board meetings and heard about land deals, donations, and powerful families that had their own agenda for the church. From the bishop we got the background on hirings and firings, divorces, rogue ministers who had not toed the party line. We listened to, but did not believe, reports from African congregations. There was the occasional suicide.

I got ordained and sent to Sweden. Now I had insight into the paperwork, the contracts, the long term plans. I had the keys to the doors and the passwords to the computers. I got copies of the financial records. My job required it. In the library I read ancient New Church magazines with some very strangely slanted articles in Swedish or Norwegian. Photos of men in uniforms.

I collected it all. This would make a good book some day, I thought.

Well, I got kicked out and that's all water under the bridge now. I did write the book, though, and have recently published it. It's called 'Ordained - a novel.'

Originally I was looking for people who had an attitude of searching, of wanting to understand and enact and apply. I was fooled. Of course.

My website is: https://muires.wordpress.com/

What else should I say by way of introduction? :wave2:

Oh and I hope that searching the forum will be enabled for me at some point. How do I add a signature?

Welcome to TOL. I don't know of anyone posting here from the Swedenborgian Theology?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Hello

Hello

~*~*~

Hi Muires,

See here.

My intro. post here. (Resource and bio links on Emmanuel Swedenborg. He was an amazing personality, a Renaissance Man, a scientist, philosopher, theologian, revelator, and mystic)

We don't appear to have a thread specifically on Swedenborg's theology at the moment. More features will be allowed for you to use after a few weeks or after so many posts. Welcome to the forum :)

The Divine of the Lord in heaven is love, for the reason that love is receptive of all things of heaven, such as peace, intelligence, wisdom and happiness.

- Emanuel Swedenborg

Last edited:

OCTOBER23

Swedenborgian theology has some very good points and conclusions.

Swedenborg had a prolific career as an inventor and scientist. In 1741, at age 53, he entered into a spiritual phase in which he began to experience dreams and visions, beginning on Easter weekend of 6 April 1744. This culminated in a 'spiritual awakening', in which he received revelation that he was appointed by the Lord to write The Heavenly Doctrine to reform Christianity. According to The Heavenly Doctrine the Lord had opened Swedenborg's spiritual eyes, so that from then on he could freely visit heaven and hell and talk with angels, demons and other spirits; and the Last Judgment had already occurred, in 1757.

--------------------------------------------

Christadelphians are always welcome here too.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Swedenborgian theology has some very good points and conclusions.

Swedenborg had a prolific career as an inventor and scientist. In 1741, at age 53, he entered into a spiritual phase in which he began to experience dreams and visions, beginning on Easter weekend of 6 April 1744. This culminated in a 'spiritual awakening', in which he received revelation that he was appointed by the Lord to write The Heavenly Doctrine to reform Christianity. According to The Heavenly Doctrine the Lord had opened Swedenborg's spiritual eyes, so that from then on he could freely visit heaven and hell and talk with angels, demons and other spirits; and the Last Judgment had already occurred, in 1757.

--------------------------------------------

Christadelphians are always welcome here too.

Visions ? And talking with angels, visiting hell ?

OCTOBER23

Patrickjane questioned,

Visions ? And talking with angels, visiting hell ?
-------------------------------------------------------
YES, All those who have held these beliefs have been

addressed here on this Forum to the Poster themselves

and shown them the Errors of believing in these things.

That is one of the Truthsmacks that this forum stands for.

Muires

To add a signature go to User CP (upper left) then on the left are options, such as edit signature - edit profile etc. have fun

That menu item is not visible to me. Probably blocked because I'm 'new.'

I should congratulate myself. I am 52 years old and still new. :)