intro.

nwhite855

I'm Nancy, new to the site, and wondering how many have gotten saved when you were forty or older and what the turning point was that brought you to the truth. Just thinking this info. might help me with my over forty friends and family that aren't saved yet.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome to TOL, Nancy.

Saved at 23. So I'm not what you're looking for. But I can still drive by and say, "HI". :wave2:
:car:

faramir77

Hoi, Welcome. and Praise God!

Philippians 1:6 ~ Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.

It has just begun,
and it will all work out.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Welcome to TOL!

Saved at 30, 1979.

What did it?

Suffering, tribulation(Grk-thilipsis-pressure) from within and without.
Failure to attain goodness and integrity through my own efforts.
The intolerable weight of guilt.
Testimony from believers about the grace of GOD through Jesus Christ.
In practicing several different 'religious' disciplines.....finally having to honestly consider the fantastic claims of the man Jesus of Nazareth.
Prayed an agnostic prayer such as:
Jesus if you're real...if you're there.....if you are who you claim to be in the Bible, then please show me.
He did.

When dealing with unbelievers, I generally, very tactfully ask them questions to hopefully cause them to think about existence, possible future non-existence, the existence of GOD, what kind of god, death, purpose and meaning in life, guilt, morality, etc. I've found that the place to start with people is to find out where they are in their thinking, find common ground, then work from there.

The 'cultural apologetics' of Francis Schaeffer are very helpful.
People must sense that you care and that you are not just trying to get them into your 'club'.
Classical Apologetics is very helpful. It's good to ask questions, but one must be able to answer questions, as well. Not that we can have all the answers, but people do want to have answers concerning what is true....what is real.
We have to 'be' true and we have to 'be' real. Being able to respond with answers can be very helpful, but people easily spot a phoney, when it comes to love and not many people respond to a 'know-it-all'.
Unbelievers know truth. They just don't know how to integrate what they do know. Of course, they are lacking in knowledge, as well. Unbelievers like to be appreciated for what they do know and shown that they are considered to have value....which they do, as being created in the image of GOD. He considers them as having great value, even in their unbelief......so much so that, "while we were yet sinners, Christ died for the ungodly." That's me.

I've probably said enough.

Welcome!

Glenda

I'm Nancy, new to the site, and wondering how many have gotten saved when you were forty or older and what the turning point was that brought you to the truth. Just thinking this info. might help me with my over forty friends and family that aren't saved yet.
Greetings Nancy

Like Steko, suffering, grief and loss did it for me. God can be found in deep darkness and that's so true when times are bleak.

I found Jesus saves while people and churches etc don't (and can often be countr-productive)

What does Jesus save us from? Our selfish, self-centred selves (deadly sin from within)

The teachings and actions of Jesus focus outward rather than inward ie help needy others. It's amazing how healing it is to aid others in need and our focus shifts from our pain to theirs. It can be done in small ways to begin with ie taste and see that God is good
eg feed a hungry person and appreciate the immediate blessing of being beneficial ... which promotes further benefit to others and attracts further blessings to ourselves.

When your friends are in bleak times, reflect Jesus by comforting them and when the greatest waves of grief and/or suffering have passed, assist them to follow Jesus (which is what Jesus commanded while he didn't command heeding others or going to church etc) and attract God's healing to them by walking with them as you and they benefit others. Actions speak louder than words eg the Good Samaritan never even opened his mouth or preached, but Jesus said he got it right and commanded we go and do likewise. Jesus spoke workds of life. Heed him and God will use you. Like Jesus said, don't consider in advance what you will say, because at appropriate times God will speak through you.

The way is hard and Jesus suffered, so nobody should expect that life or following Jesus will suddenly be easy, but by looking at Jesus we know he empathises with out pain and it doesn't mean that God has forsaken us and we can find comfort in that.

Your friends are getting to an age where they will encounter more grief and loss and suffering and God may use this. Remember that God saves and we don't, but be prepared to be used by God in His timing as He sees fit, rather than try to promote any 'religious concepts' to them. Let your Godly merciful actions speak loudest.