In Godly terms: What qualifies one as a brother?

journey

Fellow believers in the Body of Christ are our brothers and sisters in Christ:

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV 1. Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2. By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4. And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Lon

There are some really smart people at TOL. They can answer this question for us if they want to.
Paul says to do good, especially to the body of Christ, so good question.
This list of scriptures should help.

I was thinking of 1 Corinthians:

1Co 5:1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife.
1Co 5:2 And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.

The response after was restoration:

2Co 2:5 Now if anyone has caused pain, he has caused it not to me, but in some measure—not to put it too severely—to all of you.
2Co 2:6 For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough,
2Co 2:7 so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow.
2Co 2:8 So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him.
2Co 2:9 For this is why I wrote, that I might test you and know whether you are obedient in everything.
2Co 2:10 Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ,
2Co 2:11 so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.

This was a specific example regarding how to treat this man, but I think it gives a practical scenario in which to hang most of the verse from the scripture list.

We are directed to treat one another in the Body as brother's and sisters, but that doesn't mean putting up with unsound doctrine, divisiveness, or immoral behavior. Your church, generally, should have guidelines of membership that would help guide you through understanding who is acceptable as a brother or sister. I try to be inclusive where I can, but there are doctrines that are decidedly not Christian. On the internet, we can't see behavior so I try to be courteous and kind as well as recognize those in affiliation who are brothers and sisters in Christ. I think we can have a fair grasp of who is who, but can only be sure of our own status in Christ. His Spirit testifies with ours that we are His and all those who call on the name of the Lord, will be saved. -Lon

-Lon

12jtartar

sulee154151,
Before you can be a true brother or sister, in a spiritual way, you MUST both belong to The Congregation of God, which is a pillar and support of the TRUTH, 1Timothy 3:15. This congregation is the one that Jesus is the head of, Colossians 1:18, Ephesians 5:23-27. Everyone who belongs to this ONE congregation is a brother or sister, Matthew 23:8-12. Every True Christian considers himself RELATED to every other true Christian, Galatians 6:10, 1John 4:20.
The true Christian congregation all speak in agreement, and does not have divisions in it, 1Corinthians 1:10. True Christians should be honest in all things, Hebrews 13:18. If a person who claims to be a Christian, but is living a life that belies his claim, Christians should not fellowship with that one, not even eating with him or even greeting that one very friendly like, Titus 1:16, 2John 1:9-11, 2Thessalonians 3:9-12. If a person who is called a brother commits a serious sin and does not repent he must be removed from The Congregation, 1Corinthians 5:9-13. God's Congregation must be kept clean!!!
A vital point to remember; there is only ONE true Christian Congregation, ONE Faith, Ephesians 4:1-6. Of course The ONE Worldwide Congregation is made up of many small congregations, but are all ONE, because there are no divisions and all teach the same doctrines, because God only accepts TRUTH, John 4:23,24.

elohiym

In Godly terms: What qualifies one as a brother?

Simply that we are all God's offspring because we all descend from Adam whose Father is God. See the genealogies, Matthew 23:9 and Acts 17:28,29.

Those who do the will of God evidence their faith that He is their Father, per Matthew 12:46-50.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
There are some really smart people at TOL. They can answer this question for us if they want to.

Before Christ my brothers are those who believed in the required content of faith that was revealed to man by the word of God.

Today my brothers are anyone who puts their faith in the substitutionary death, burial and resurrection for their sin by Christ alone plus nothing.

During the tribulation my brothers will be those who did not take the mark of the beast but turned to God thru the preaching of the two witnesses and the ministry of the 144000 Jewish evangelists.

In the 1000 year Messianic Kingdom my brothers will be all of Israel and every gentile over the age of 100 years of age.

In the eternal order everyone is my brother.