In defense of Cruciform; Traditions of Men

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
In the above I have fixed that sleight of hand trick of yours hoping others would ignore the full content of my post to which you very sparsely responded. ;)

AMR:

For the sake of a coherent/unified response, I opted to answer what I took to be what was the main "thrust" of your posting, i.e., what you took the most time to write about. If you wish to revisit various topics, by all means, you should revisit them in a later posting.

Are you really going to play this game of Augustine said this, but really what he meant, from reading over here and there, was that he really did not mean what he said?

In a word? Yes. I, of course, don't deny that St. Augustine meant what he said. That said, for both St. Augustine and for all linguistic discourse, "what did he say" is only one minor part of the whole picture. We have to take several things into account:

1. To whom did he say it?
2. What was the context in which he said it?
3. Why did he say it?
4. How does what he said fit historically both into what he said before and after, and also what was commonly held in the tradition within which he worked? How, furthermore, does it fit into the overall scheme of his general thought?
5. How have these statements been historically understood within the relevant traditions?

Not to mention, of course, that St. Augustine was the kind of man who was not unwilling to change his mind and revise his thought over time. Consider the Retractions.

I was considering making a thread about this very point, but I figure here and now is as good as anywhere or any-when.

To my mind, the "cherry-picking" tendency of the protestants, both with regard to scripture and anything else, is...I don't even know what adjective I should use to describe it. Unhelpful? Deplorable? Unhistorical? Anti-scholarly?

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

The more I engage in the study of the history of philosophy (my dissertation is going to be on a topic in Neoplatonism), the more I think that Alasdair MacIntyre (see, e.g., Three Rival Versions of Moral Enquiry) is basically just right on the impact of tradition on correctly understanding anything. The idea of a "great books" series, i.e., that you can take all of these different works, read them in historical isolation, and understand them perfectly (as though we were simply disembodied, a-perspectival rational agents), is just wrong. A text cannot be read in any meaningful sense without being interpreted. The practical question, then, that arises is: how do I interpret it correctly? The answer, for scripture, for philosophical texts, or anything else is always "tradition." What's a good way of understanding Aristotle? Read the ancient commentators of his school.

This is, of course, a major "gripe" of mine against modern analytical philosophy, in particular, modern analytical "historians of philosophy." I can't help but cringe every time I see, in some secondary text, an attempt to drive a wedge the Plato of the dialogues from the Neoplatonic commentators...as though the Neoplatonic commentators hadn't read them (in the original Greek, no less)?

At any rate, that's essentially the problem with your evaluation of St. Augustine, AMR. You are taking isolated quotes by St. Augustine and taking them in utter isolation from their appropriate contexts (whether be historical, argumentative, polemical, etc.).

I fully grant that St. Augustine, at some point after the Soliloquies (in which he expressed belief in the Platonic doctrine of reminiscence (anamnesis), adopted a doctrine of divine illumination, i.e., that the rules and principles of right reasoning, of the sciences (in the ancient philosophical sense of the term), etc. are "beamed down to us," so to speak, by God, and that we "see these things," so to speak, "in the Divine Art." He expresses some doubts about this with regard to geometry in De Trinitate, but even there, he indeed advances the doctrine as a "replacement," so to speak, to the Platonic theory of knowledge (at least, insofar as he understood it) expressed in the Meno.

I insist, however, at least so far as I have read and have understood the man, St. Augustine simply doesn't appeal to Divine Illumination when discussing Church authority, scriptural interpretation or religious faith. When St. Augustine speaks of divine illumination, he must be understood, first and foremost, not as a Catholic, but as a philosopher, as a man who fell early in his life to the Manichean errors, was "saved" from those errors by Academic skepticism, was subsequently converted to Platonic dogmatism, and passed through Platonism, as though by stepping stones, to the Catholic faith.

I repeat: Divine illumination is not, for St. Augustine, a religious doctrine, but a philosophical one. It is an (albeit misguided, of course) answer to Plato. He himself insists, e.g., in the Retractions, that Divine Illumination is not restricted simply to Christian believers. That's how anyone knows anything with certainty.

Again, if you want to understand his views on scriptural interpretation, then you must view what he says in the proper contexts in which he talks about these things, as, e.g., in polemical disputation against manichean doctrines. "Hey, Catholic, see these books of the scriptures that you received from the Catholic Church? Here's all kinds of problems with the Old Testament. You should throw that out. The New Testament is OK, except for a few passages that were interpolated later. Don't worry. We have all kinds of writings and fables that will help you understand the New Testament."

Since you've linked to this posting a few times now, I'll address it in detail in a later post in this thread. Cruciform replied to it later in the thread that you linked, but I don't think that you were particularly satisfied by his reply. Stay tuned.

Nothing you have argued moves the man from what he clearly stated in the numerous quotes in my post. And moving the goal posts around won't help you either, as Augustine's position does not rest upon a sucession of infallible men, but with succession of the truths received of the NT apostles, that are preserved and taught.

He doesn't say "succession of truths." He says "succession of bishops." Granted, it may be anachronistic for me to say "infallible," since I don't recall him speaking in this way, and I see no reason to argue over the use of the term. What is important is this: the degree to which the truths in question can be found credible is precisely the degree to which those authorities, who propose them to us for our religious assent, are credible. The gospels and the faith are credible if and only if the authority of the bishops is credible. They are credible if and only if there is an unbroken succession from the apostles to them.

See De Utilitate Credendi, paragraph 35: "When, therefore, we see such fruit progressively realized by God's aid, shall we hesitate to place ourselves in the bosom of his Church? For it has reached the highest pinnacle of authority, having brought about the conversion of the human race by the instrumentality of the Apostolic See and the succession of bishops."

By St. Augustine's standards, the religious assent of the protestants to whatever form of Christian belief they have is poorly grounded, if not epistemologically abysmal. In terms of whether or not you have good reason for your beliefs even in the Scriptures, you're likely no better off, or, at least, not much better off, than a manichean or a Muslim.

Mohammad is not credible. Mani is not credible. Muslim Imams are not credible. Protestant teachers are not credible.

Unlike Augustine, Rome continues to make the mistake with the idea that authority requires infallibility. Augustine is not affirming non-scriptural authority. The church has real authority, and it is derived from Christ in the NT Scriptures.

Again, I see no reason to debate about the use of the word "infallible," since St. Augustine simply doesn't speak in those terms one way or the other, so far as I am aware. Let it suffice to be noted that our belief in Jesus and the gospels presupposes our assent to the teaching authority of the bishops of the Catholic Church.

At any rate, I believe that you make an error when you insist that, for St. Augustine, the authority of the Church is derived from the scriptures. For Augustine, at least in the order of knowledge, it's the other way around. We should believe in the scriptures 1. only because the bishops command us to believe in them and 2. only insofar as is consistent with right reason and the teaching of the bishops. [You can see precisely this at work, e.g., in his commentary on Genesis at the end of the Confessions.]

I do fully grant, however, that the authority of the Church is derivative from the authority of Jesus...not, however, the Jesus "as presented in the Gospels," but the real, historical Jesus who taught his apostles, who, in turn passed on a living tradition of religious faith to their successors.

So the church does have genuine authority, but not infallible authority. On a submission level, the church had to submit to the Apostles even when they were not under direct inspiration due to the nature of their authority. The NT makes it clear that infallible authority can and does command submission to fallible authority (see Hebrews 13:17; Romans 13:1 and forward). God commands our obedience and submission to His rulers (elders) in the church, but that need not and does not imply they are infallible in their authority. God commands subjection to civil authority, but that need not and does not imply that they possess the attribute of infallibility.

Practical vs. theoretical. Again, the authority of the bishops grounds our "theoretical" assent to the truths of the gospels and of the Catholic faith.

With respect to the various things that you quoted later:

1. I fully grant that God alone is infallible, and I grant this in precisely the same sense that God alone can forgive sins. The infallibility of the magisterium of the Church is derivative from God's infallibility (insofar as it is the Holy Ghost who teaches us through the instrumentality of the bishops), and the "power" of the priest to forgive sins in the confessional is derivative from God's power to forgive (insofar as it is Jesus who forgives and acts in the sacrament through the instrumentality of the priest).

2. With respect to the other points, again, context? Apart from their polemical/argumentative/historical contexts, we simply can't understand what St. Augustine is trying to say.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Yes---and communicates those judgments by means of the God-ordained ministry of his one historic Church's Magisterium.

Neither of our opinions means anything unless they happen to comport with the authoritative teachings of that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D. Are the opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, then, in agreement with Christ's one historic Church? Go ahead and post your proof.

Back to Post #67 above.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
God does not judge us while on Earth. We face God's judgement only after we die. Any "judgement" regarding salvation by any church is just a manipulation of men, by men.

The opinions of the RCC magisterium are equally worthless.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
In answer to the posting repeatedly cited by AMR:

The church after the Apostles was not the Roman Catholic Church. Rather the church was catholic.

Depending on how you understand the various terms at work in the above posting, I see no reason to agree with this.

While on the subject of anachronistic tactics, of course Augustine was catholic. He was bishop of Carthage in an era that knew only one church, from Gibraltar to Britain to Syria to Ethiopia--the universal one, and one I might add where there was no universal allegiance to Rome or any other primate, even if Augustine deferred to him.

At least in some parts of his writing, the word "Catholic" forms part of a proper name, i.e., "The Catholic Church." "Catholic" is not a mere descriptive. It denominates or names a particular historical entity. See De Utilitate Credendi, paragraph 19.

"Among Christians, there are several heresies, but all want to be regarded as Catholics and call others beyond their own group heretics...It is enough for our inquiry that there is one Catholic Church to which different heresies give different names, while they are called by names proper to each one which they dare not deny. Hence those who judge without fear or favour can discern to whom properly belongs the Catholic name to which all lay claim."

Thus, there would have been the Gnostics, the Arians, the Manicheans, and various other heretical sects, and then, as opposed to all of these, there was The Catholic Church.

Thus, again, to speak of "bishops, rites and mysteries of the Catholic Church" would be to distinguish these from those of other historical entities (e.g., those of the Arians).

Though, I can't help but be amused by your insistence on your own "catholicity," i.e., with a lower case "c," given St. Augustine's comments just cited. "All wish," after all, "to lay claim to such a title," though you yourself "would not dare to deny" that you are more properly denominated "a Calvinist."

And his deference was far from the powers claimed later by Rome. It is incredible that Augustine would have accepted an appointment to the Carthage bishopric from the Roman bishop, when he was called by the church of Carthage to be its pastor. Now that's pretty Reformed in principle, even though such claiming that he was "Reformed" here would be anachronistic--so I will avoid it.

Again, you are focusing on the role of the papacy, and your general tactic is to drive a wedge between the doctrines and practices of the Catholic Church of St. Augustine's time with that of our own.

But you dare not, I think, advert to the actual practices and beliefs of the Church of St. Augustine's time, which are undeniably Catholic in the modern sense.

1. A belief in apostolic succession and in the authority of the bishops.
2. A belief in the sacraments, the mass and transubstantiation [here, I think, what I pm'ed you previously about theurgy suffices to carry this point; note also that in the introduction to the De Trinitate, he refers to himself as a high priest]. How often does St. Augustine speak of the mysteries and rites of the Catholic Church, and in the Confessions "of the sacrament of our redemption"?

These are beliefs which are undeniably consistent with the Catholicism and Orthodoxy, and undeniably inconsistent with everything else.

Sure, there are ways in which Augustine's theology resembles the RCC, but there are also ways in which the reformer's theology resemble Augustine's.

In the sense in which St. Augustine would have found most relevant, there is an absolute divorce between St. Augustine's conception of the Catholic Church and the protestant conception of the "catholicity of the body of Christ." For St. Augustine, "The Catholic Church" refers to an historical entity, i.e., whose hallmark is the unbroken succession of bishops. No protestant sect can lay claim to any such thing.

Augustine, however, was referring to the preacher that spoke the Word of God, without which he would not have been converted.

No, he wasn't. He's very explicit about this. He's referring to the historical entity whose hallmark is an unbroken apostolic succession.

Augustine also stated on an occasion, “Rome has spoken, the matter is settled.” Romanists points to this assertion as evidence of Augustine’s belief in the superiority of the bishop of Rome. However, Augustine made this comment after the bishop agreed with him. On another issue, on which the bishop disagreed with Augustine, Augustine stated “Christ has spoken, the matter is settled.” Clearly, Augustine felt bound by Scripture and not Rome.

Again, context is everything.

Augustine (354-430) was a bishop at a time that knew one church only, the universal church

I'm afraid that you are mistaken. There were all sorts of heretical sects at the time which were in "competition" with the historical religious entity to which St. Augustine belonged.

At one point in history, the RCC viewed Augustine’s theology as cardinal, only rejecting it, indeed anathematizing it, at Trent for semi-Pelagianism.

I imagine that if you were to ask the fathers of that council, they would have disagreed with your assessment.

The Reformation was all about recovering what was lost in the church at the time.

By St. Augustine's standards, if anything was "lost" in the Church at the time, in the relevant senses, then there has ceased to be any epistemological grounding for the Christian Faith. We are justified in our belief if and only if there is an unbroken succession of bishops who command our assent to the Catholic faith.

Try as they might, the RCC strives mightily to claim Augustine as a great supporter of the papacy.

I don't think that the papacy was particularly on St. Augustine's radar either way, at least, based on what I've read (probably because it was a sheer, uncontested given, at least, in the precise form in which it then existed). This is why I insist on talking about apostolic, not papal, succession.

Papal succession only becomes relevant in relationship to the disagreement between Catholics and the Orthodox.

Last edited:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It's a perfectly rational and cogent answer, and one that not a single Protestant on this forum has yet to either disprove or meaningfully answer. Do you even understand its import?

It is your opinion of your church. As such, it requires no disproof nor an answer. It's your opinion and your welcome to it. Don't be surprised when it goes ignored as you repeat it ad nauseum. At this point, it is nothing more than a cliche.

Lon

Post your proof.

For your inspection: #1
Do you even understand its import?
#2 That you ask means even you recognize it as being more loaded than the average joe would pick up on.
#3 You are going to 'correct' every point you deem I have wrong, so you'll note that you, yourself are used in the proof, all I have to do is sit back and watch:
Granted, yet it is a fact:
Go ahead, then, and demonstrate from Divine Revelation and the facts of ecclesiastical history that your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself (Mt. 16:18-19), and which therefore possesses the inherent doctrinal authority to interpret Scripture and formulate doctrine in a manner which is binding upon all believers (Mt. 28:18-20; 1 Tim. 3:15). Otherwise, your Protestant "perspective" amounts to exactly nothing.
See just above.
I'm not certain you realize putting this altogether means you agreed with both. You may not have 'meant' to do so, but that is why 'pat' answers tend to exacerbate things rather than carry a debate/conversation meaningfully. I generally, do not give you, ever, a 'pat' answer because I'm trying to get you back to a more meaningful place where you once were (though you've always endeavored to post links as even here, they can be tedious, but they are 'better' if not optimal imho).
...and yet a demonstrable fact of history.

A demonstrable conclusion, rather. You mistake the difference.
No, not "from the beginning," but specifically from 1054 for the Orthodox churches, for example.

But not true of the Coptic churches. Concession makes the point, imho, rather than countering it.

Let's put this in practical terms, shall we? Please name the Protestant (non-Catholic) denomination with which you affiliate---what church do you attend and identify with as a Christian?
SBC and of course they attempt going back to Anabaptists in relating a line, but this isn't my concern. We don't have to trace. In fact, because I hold to about 90% of Catholic dogma, I can trace it 'through' the RC, just reject a few of those points along the way. It could quickly dive into an AS discussion, but that is suppositional (opinion/historical take).

Go ahead, then, and trace your Protestant denomination back through ecclesiastical history to the Apostolic Era. Proof, please.
Either through the RC or through the Anabaptists, but to me, this doesn't matter as much to me as it does to Baptists, or the RC. Why? Because God meets people from where they are. He doesn't make them join a Baptist OR a Catholic church so an argument over our respective denominations isn't the end-all of conversation for me. It is for you, and perhaps a few Baptists. For me "recently invented" doesn't address anything. Sure it addresses 'your' concern, but you don't have to say it, you just have to 'think' it. There is no point, imho, to say such a thing on a Protestant board because it only matters to you.

Nope, wrong again. It simply indicates that your preferred "church" was invented by mere men during the past few centuries, rather than being founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D. If you dispute this, than go ahead and trace your Protestant denomination back through ecclesiastical history to the Apostolic Era. Proof, please.
That is your assertion. I don't buy it, it is really only an assertion of your humble opinion. Every Protestant will either reject 'the need' (as I do) or will trace it around or through your own church.
BUT it brings us full circle:
Post your proof.
ANY disagreement you've shown is over your one sentence and thus substantiates:
I think I understand your preoccupation with it. I don't think you understand why it is not 1) a form of effective debate or communication, 2) not relevant but as it applies to both of us. Your opinion, my opinion...

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Lon:

Do you really not see a problem with grounding your religious belief in the following way: "I believe x because I read this scriptural verse in the way that such and such a random guy just so happened to read it 500 or so years ago"?

Lon

Lon:

Do you really not see a problem with grounding your religious belief in the following way: "I believe x because I read this scriptural verse in the way that such and such a random guy just so happened to read it 500 or so years ago"?
That's a great leading question and let me run a bit with it:

When we read anything, we are the sole proprietor of interpretation UNLESS we don't get it OR we are introduced to it under another's context. Perhaps most are under another's tutelage but this isn't how I've come to Christianity.

Thus, some will come to understanding under a denomination's guidance but it isn't the only way we come to an understanding. For me, Sola Scriptura is 'the way' I came to Christ. There are a lot of reasons this became necessary for me in growing up. My mother baptized us all Catholic, but, because she didn't go to church, she sent us to a United Methodist Church that happened to be the closest church to us. I started young (about 7) reading scripture while the Methodist preacher preached. It was a very liberal church with a social message. Being seven, I had no interest in 'how to be a better citizen/community member.' That was the message every week. I was a kid, so I started reading my bible everyday while the 'socially responsible' messages droned on. What did that do? It made me Sola Scriptura, didn't it? What, at that point, would make me 'assume' AS? :idunno: It really isn't part of my make-up, experience, or expectation. How could it be? What 'compelling' thing could change that? It was/is organic, isn't it? Doesn't "organization" interpose in a strange way for me?

This is a bit more suppositional and personal, but I think it 'starts' the conversation in a completely different place and expectation.

Lon:

It wouldn't matter if I was or was not aware of 'who else' believes the same thing I do. That anyone would believe the same way is more confirmation than cause for concern.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
God doesn't judge our sins in an ultimate sense, but he certainly judges and evaluates our doctrines. And, again, he does this by means of the authoritative teachings of Christ's one historic Church.

The only doctrines that God cares about are the ones that lead people away from Him, doctrines that make people think Mary is involved in His gift of Slaton, spiciness that make people think they can buy forgiveness from a church, doctors that make purple think a man can grant His forgiveness. God does not do anything through a bassi of men that lead people away from Him.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
When we read anything, we are the sole proprietor of interpretation UNLESS we don't get it OR we are introduced to it under another's context.

Depending on what you mean by that, this is just wrong. The "measure" against which all interpretation must be weighed is the intention of the author. It is this standard by which we can say that A interprets a text correctly, and B interprets it incorrectly.

This is a bit more suppositional and personal, but I think it 'starts' the conversation in a completely different place and expectation.

This is my basic question: how do you know that your interpretation is the correct one, i.e., that your interpretation "matches" the intention of the author or authors of the sacred texts?

For me, the answer is quite simple: the apostles knew Jesus, and they passed on what they knew to their successors, and their successors to their successors, and so on down the line.

Lon

Depending on what you mean by that, this is just wrong. The "measure" against which all interpretation must be weighed is the intention of the author. It is this standard by which we can say that A interprets a text correctly, and B interprets it incorrectly.
:nono: Not the grammatical context I was addressing. I was rather addressing the exterior, that of receiving and members present-influential, not the grammatical interior. I'm surprised to see a teacher unrecognizing the difference, and mildly concerned.

This is my basic question: how do you know that your interpretation is the correct one, i.e., that your interpretation "matches" the intention of the author or authors of the sacred texts?
1) The Spirit of God, if we know Him, we know what He says 2) Language is straightforward 3) I've A's both in English and other languages. Wycliffe Bible Translators tested me and said that I should apply for their most difficult language with them. 4) Commentaries - while not in and of itself authoritative, agreement carries a certain amount of authority 5) repetition/rechecking 6) Even the RC. I can read what the RC has produced and agree or disagree with their interpretations.
-- It isn't like I am doing this whole thing in a vacuum, the RC itself would recognize me as a brother at a distance, well depending how far they have tossed their Jansenists at any rate. They are left out of the RC and HAVE to remain outside those walls, by RC design!

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
:nono: Not the grammatical context I was addressing. I was rather addressing the exterior, that of receiving and members present-influential, not the grammatical interior. I'm surprised to see a teacher unrecognizing the difference, and mildly concerned.

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you are talking about. What were you initially trying to express?

1) The Spirit of God, if we know Him, we know what He says

This is a standard protestant answer, and it's a cop-out at best, and positively question-begging (petitio principii) at worst.

2) Language is straightforward

Lon, I'm afraid I'll simply have to disagree with you on this point. You're just obviously and apparently wrong, and not only are you just obviously and apparently wrong, but the very fact that you are not a Catholic presupposes that you are wrong.

If it were so incredibly straightforward, then you should be of the opinion that the Catholic Church got it right on the first go-around. :p

3) I've A's both in English and other languages.

3 is reducible to 2. See above.

4) Commentaries

How do you know that the commentaries are right? How do you know which commentaries are right, and which ones are wrong?

5) repetition/rechecking

This doesn't solve the problem. This only pushes the question back.

6) Even the RC. I can read what the RC has produced and agree or disagree with their interpretations.

Either the RC is an infallible authority or it isn't. If it isn't, then see my answer to 4.

Lon

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you are talking about. What were you initially trying to express?
Do you understand scripture because 'you' read it, or do you understand scripture because someone else told you what it meant? One is an internal context, the other external. There are a few things associated with your individual reading of scripture that help one understand what he/she is reading such as context, Spiritual guidance, Language capacity, clarity, etc. There are a few things associated with external interpretation of the read text such as 'direction, culture for understanding a different context, amount of time taken as well as priori that help one grasp the material, etc. Some of these cross the interior/exterior, implicit/explicit boundaries.

This is a standard protestant answer, and it's a cop-out at best, and positively question-begging (petitio principii) at worst.
This is conversely a major concern to the Protestant because 1) He/she questions then whether the Spirit is guiding you at all, because you 'should' be guided the same way and into the same truths the Protestant, indwelled by the Spirit, is guided into.
2) He/she might quickly conclude that it is not happening in the Catholic arguing with him/her, such that they no longer believe they are talking to a Christian who "doesn't seem to understand the significance of the Spirit of God indwelling."
3) He/she (Protestant) would then extrapolate to the way the RC works where this isn't a part of the instruction. I spent about 20 minutes at New Advent looking for an understanding, of Catholics, about the inward work of the Holy Spirit in the believer. I did not find much so it, importantly, needs address here by a knowledgeable Catholic. Neither "work of the Holy Spirit" nor "Indwelling of the Holy Spirit" led to a satisfactory result. What are Catholics teaching their congregation regarding the Holy Spirit's work? How could tradition or AS possibly subject the Spirit of God?

I'll come back to the rest of this a bit later...(thanks for patience if you came to this before I could address the rest).
Language is straightforward
Lon, I'm afraid I'll simply have to disagree with you on this point. You're just obviously and apparently wrong, and not only are you just obviously and apparently wrong, but the very fact that you are not a Catholic presupposes that you are wrong.

If it were so incredibly straightforward, then you should be of the opinion that the Catholic Church got it right on the first go-around. :p
Perhaps "Language structure" then but I appreciate you just gave me permission to be a Protestant!

3 is reducible to 2. See above.
I'm not sure I am understanding your meaning. By that I don't mean that I don't have the mental prowess because I can surely extrapolate and try to figure it out. I believe you are saying that the Bible isn't so incredibly straightforward, that being adept would help. Such pointedly leave the RC suspect as well. What I mean is, you assume AS, for instance, off of some scripture that says Jesus established His church on Peter. It becomes a catch-22 that I don't think Catholics fully realize or appreciate. There is a bit of circular reasoning that, to me, doesn't hold up unless you can buy into any one single premise. This is pertinent perhaps, because we literally reject ever single proof of the Catholic circular reasoning. The good and bad about a circular truth is that if you can accept one point, the rest can build off the one. If however even a single point is debated the whole house is refused. Such is the case between Catholics and Protestants regarding church infallibility and somewhat it's ensuing traditions and authority consequently.

How do you know that the commentaries are right? How do you know which commentaries are right, and which ones are wrong?
Well, #1, I don't always check. In fact, most of the time I don't find that many occasions to need to do so. #2, when I do, I've already studied and come to an understanding the text, at least tentatively: I thus use them to see if I'm 'orthodox' or not. I am not always worried about that except on matters that are mandatory regarding my membership with my church. If I ever disagreed with their doctrinal statement, I'd have to dissolve my membership as no longer in good-standing. So, it is verification rather than dependence at that point. When you think about it, it is rather amazing we don't jump denomination ships that often, and more often than not, due to a personal matter (like moving away) than a doctrinal divide (there are bright sides to having variety).

This doesn't solve the problem. This only pushes the question back.
Not for me, it strengthens the fact that I'm indeed reading and understanding scripture well, and it also allows another to correct me. AMR, for instance, has corrected me on a number of instances, though it tends to be more need to hone an expression rather than a doctrinal change, but that too. I had a faulty idea regarding the kenosis passage, passed along to me by a professor that I hadn't realized was rejected by the church at large.

Either the RC is an infallible authority or it isn't. If it isn't, then see my answer to 4.
For me, they are not correct. They were more-so in the early stages imho but I still appreciate New Advent for instance, though I disagree. It is similar to you being on TOL as well as 'thinking for yourself' for what the RC allows you to decide upon your own matters. The only real difference here is that you 'relinquished your right' to think for yourself and defer, by choice, to the RC. How do you know they are right? You don't have to know that, you can simply assume it as part of your trust of that body. Protestants don't think this way, except a few handfuls that make their way (oddly to the rest of us) to Catholic steps. So, I think we are 'both' choosing our 'interpretation preference' of what we suppositionally expect. "How do you know?" How does Traditio "KNOW" his church is right other than his suppositions, expectation, and agreement? I think we are in the same boat but only on this point, I had 6 as you remember :)
1) The Spirit of God, if we know Him, we know what He says 2) Language [structure] is straightforward 3) I've A's [am no slouch] both in English and other languages. Wycliffe Bible Translators tested me and said that I should apply for their most difficult language with them. 4) Commentaries - while not in and of itself authoritative, agreement carries a certain amount of authority 5) repetition/rechecking 6) Even the RC [mostly agrees with me]. I can read what the RC has produced and agree or disagree with their interpretations.
-- It isn't like I am doing this whole thing in a vacuum

Last edited: