Theology Club: Imputation of Christ's Righteousness

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Nang is wrong to think that free will faith (involves mind/will) is Roman Catholic or works vs grace. She confuses grounds and conditions of salvation and injects a monergistic view that is not biblical.

This just your opinion, which does not come close to addressing the subject of imputed righteousness, at all.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
:rolleyes:

Care to try again and actually post some Scripture this time?

I Jn. 5:11-13; Jn. 3:16 use present, continuous tense.

If one could believe and then cease to believe and become an unbeliever and still be saved (johnw view), then a different tense could be used.

Principle more than proof text. Issues of free will, warnings about apostasy, etc. must be considered. Part of the problem is wrong MAD assumptions that pick and choose which verses apply to whom.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
This just your opinion, which does not come close to addressing the subject of imputed righteousness, at all.

There is an interpretative, theological aspect to this. 10 scholars can talk about imputation and quote verses and mean 10 different things.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
There is an interpretative, theological aspect to this.

There is?

Where?

10 scholars can talk about imputation and quote verses and mean 10 different things.

I have never seen such an example or occurrence on this subject, but the disagreement of 10 "scholars" on any subject, cannot ever undo what the word of God clearly teaches regarding the righteousness of Jesus Christ.

All the "scholars" can do, is make total fools of themselves . . .

Nang

godrulz

Hall of Fame
These scholars have influenced the development of your view. How much of your view is from Augustine? Calvin? your favorite Calvinistic theologian? There was not consensus on the details and many of the issues were probably not discussed much in the early church (or with Fathers saying and meaning different things). There is more than one view, so we have to wrestle with the strengths and weaknesses of each, since they all claim the same verses, but interpret the relevant verses as a whole differently leading to different conclusions. You are not infallible nor can you just find a verse that proves your understanding of the word/concept. You and AMR (don't even agree on all things) dogmatically say the party line and assume it is true. You may be accurate to a view rooted in Augustine, but this does not prove it is biblical or logical.

Don't get me going on infant baptism. If you hold to this, you are also wrong on it (even more so than a generic statement about imputation that I could say without losing sleep...I am interested in understanding and accuracy, not just spouting my denomination creed like it is infallible as Scripture).

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Indeed. I have no idea how any soul can look at what Christ did on the cross, without understanding it was the ultimate fulfillment of the Law.

Yes, it was the fulfilment of the law (of Moses) but it was also more than that. Christ was prophesied long before Moses. His purpose was to save mankind from sin, not from the law. It just so happened that the law showed up sin for what it was. Perhaps you are not expressing yourself properly or perhaps you are not seeing the bigger picture. I can only reiterate my previously stated position that the legal substitution is just a way of looking at it.

No, for I believe there is no such thing as saving faith apart from the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ. It is His righteousness imputed to the sinner, that causes that sinner to repent and believe.

I do not believe any sinner has an innate capacity to exhibit faith and repentance. Both spiritual abilities come as a gift of God's grace.
This is where we differ. And this is where you differ from the Bible, which clearly states that Abraham was justified through his faith. And not only him but a long litany of examples is given by Paul in Hebrews of those who obtained the promises or otherwise pleased God through their faith. (And the purpose behind Paul explaining this was to persuade the Jewish believers not to rely on legal justification but to exercise faith and why would he need to do this if they supposedly already had this faith?) It is of course a typical part of the Calvinist ethos to then say that this faith was only made possible by God's grace in the first place. And this is how they make white black and black white and this is why their disciples really don't need to bother reading all those scriptures at all but just listen to the Calvinist doctrines.

This is not the doctrine of "Imputed Righteousness." This is teaching rewards for human exhibitions of faith that may or may not proceed from the Holy Spirit indwelling.
This is just blatant misanthropy. God empowers us, he does not rub our noses in the dirt, the way Calvinists constantly do.

Let me explain briefly the significance of "Imputed Righteousness." It is a biblical refutation against the Roman Catholic error of teaching an "infused righteousness" which comes as a religious reward and blessing, according to good works of penance, oblations, sacramental observances, and several good works demanded by the institutional church.
So let me get this right: because A is not B and C is not B, therefore C must be A? Is that the basis of your argument in the OP? Let me explain briefly the significance of faith since apparently you do not quite understand this principle. Faith is trust in God. I don't care whether that faith is expressed in receiving the sacraments or sticking theses up on a cathedral door or playing a role in Pygmalion. I really don't. You don't need 'biblical' (and having read a lot of Calvin, I despair of what Calvinists describe as 'biblical') refutations of the R.C. doctrine of infused righteousness, you are looking in the wrong place. What you need is refutation of dead works, which receiving the sacraments or burning rosaries or playing roles in Pygmalion could all become. I mean, even the ultra-faith prosperity teachers make the same mistake with their new rules 'believe that you have received and you will receive', 'name it and proclaim it'. For they think they will receive if they just follow these divine rules. They are doing the same as you, putting their trust in a doctrine. What you need is living faith, which is living, active trust in God. What you are doing is trusting in a doctrine, the doctrine that says that you already have got everything that God wants you to have and that you actually cannot have any real faith at all. The result is that you never exercise faith for yourself and you end up being exactly the same as the R.C. adherents you set out to oppose who equally had lost all semblance of faith and relied on the sacramental acts themselves. What you need to do is to trust God (in Christ of course) not trust in a doctrine.

I am trying to clarify your OT views, and the responses so far are interesting.
I hope you still find them interesting and learn too. Openness is about relationship, not about following rules and mental activity.

Well, that opinion is directly contrary to what I just explained. It was the Protestant Reformers (Luther, Calvin, etc.) who opposed and broke from the RCC over what you describe above. For it is the RCC which fails to distinguish between faith and works, making faith a means to find God's graces, rather than faith being the spiritual fruit and result of God's free grace.
I don't see how you can claim to be better. Protestantism became just as bad or even worse than R.Cism with its persecution of dissenters, its rigid enforcement of morality and its disingenuous use of scripture. What was the point of proclaiming sola scriptura when you were bashing the Bible to dust with a mallet?

Any form of free-will advocacy unto obtaining salvation through acts of faith that are mistakenly thought to reside in sinful human hearts (e.g. Arminianism, OT, etc.) proves to be a return of Protestants to the Roman Catholic beliefs.

Unless God changes our corrupted hearts, minds, and wills, we sinners have no hope of exhibiting faith and repentance; let alone any human righteousness or inherent virtues. (John 3:3)

All of these things must be gifted to us from above, to the glory of God, alone.
See above. More misanthropy and doing the very best not to exercise real faith.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I Jn. 5:11-13; Jn. 3:16 use present, continuous tense.
So?

If one could believe and then cease to believe and become an unbeliever and still be saved (johnw view), then a different tense could be used.
What makes you think one who doesn't now believe ever actually believed in the first place? If you know something to be true you can't later believe it to be wrong.

Principle more than proof text. Issues of free will, warnings about apostasy, etc. must be considered. Part of the problem is wrong MAD assumptions that pick and choose which verses apply to whom.
Principle over Scripture? I have no further comment.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
So?

What makes you think one who doesn't now believe ever actually believed in the first place? If you know something to be true you can't later believe it to be wrong.

Principle over Scripture? I have no further comment.

Using your logic, someone who divorces was never actually married. Someone who becomes a Christian was never a Muslim or atheist or sinner. You wrongly assume that people cannot be deceived, change their minds, even from truth to error (happens all the time on any given subject/religion). One can also retain mental assent to a belief system, while choosing to reject God's rule in their lives and revert back to a godless, pagan life. Christian preachers of the gospel have become agnostics/atheists/Mormons/Muslims, etc. just as some from these groups have become Christians. It does not mean they never believed or lived their previous system, whether true or false. Your logic is absurd.

When there is not an explicit verse on an issue (e.g. free will, time vs eternity, etc.), we may be able to elicit principles to formulate a reasonable view (some who just proof text claim the same verses for opposing views). We can quote a verse from Paul and pull out principles for our time (meat offered to idols is the verse, Mr. Pharisee, but the principle/application for us differs today).

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
It is BECAUSE man is so fickle and changeable that we go by God's word.

"You have not chosen Me, I have chosen you and ordained you that you might bear fruit and that your fruit may remain"

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Using your logic, someone who divorces was never actually married. Someone who becomes a Christian was never a Muslim or atheist or sinner. You wrongly assume that people cannot be deceived, change their minds, even from truth to error (happens all the time on any given subject/religion). One can also retain mental assent to a belief system, while choosing to reject God's rule in their lives and revert back to a godless, pagan life. Christian preachers of the gospel have become agnostics/atheists/Mormons/Muslims, etc. just as some from these groups have become Christians. It does not mean they never believed or lived their previous system, whether true or false. Your logic is absurd.

When there is not an explicit verse on an issue (e.g. free will, time vs eternity, etc.), we may be able to elicit principles to formulate a reasonable view (some who just proof text claim the same verses for opposing views). We can quote a verse from Paul and pull out principles for our time (meat offered to idols is the verse, Mr. Pharisee, but the principle/application for us differs today).
You're right. I stand by my assertion that my parents no longer even know each other, and neither has any idea where I came from. I've got two brothers and my mom doesn't know how they got here either.

Oh, wait...

2COR12:9

I'm still waiting for the passage that says Christ's righteousness is imputed to us. I've thoroughly searched and have not found one. There are many that say God gives His righteousness to those that have faith in Christ. I still see this statement of Christ's imputed righteousness as eisegesis in an attempt to make a doctrine of justification legally tidy and logical for intellect's sake. I think we try too hard sometimes to compartmentalize every aspect of salvation systematically and we lose sight that all this actual applied Grace is really beyond our earthly comprehension, it's okay to accept that some things we see in part.

It says specifically in the text that our sins are imputed to Christ, and I think some try to make their own logical leap saying we now get Jesus' righteousness, as if God needs a certain amount of merit to accept us, so we'll borrow Jesus' instead of seeing our faith in God and His Son as adequate to become righteous; the analogy that we hide behind Christ, and as a legal fiction we are declared righteous when we are not; instead of accepting that Christ's blood cleanses us, and by faith in Jesus we are given God's righteousness. Scripture clearly says that God gives to us and declares us righteous through faith, and that's sufficient for me. I'm not squabbling about words if you wish to say Christ is God so we do we receive His righteousness, if that were the case then the doctrine would be God's imputed righteousness which has textual support, though it's never stated that way in Reformed circles, its' always stated Christ's imputed righteousness.​

godrulz

Hall of Fame
You're right. I stand by my assertion that my parents no longer even know each other, and neither has any idea where I came from. I've got two brothers and my mom doesn't know how they got here either.

Oh, wait...

There is a difference between knowing about someone, knowing them, and a right relationship with God. Divorced people remarry and are simply not married and in former right relationship anymore.

Some theists have now become atheists, just as some atheists have become theists. There is a difference between denying the existence of God (whether one ever believed in it or not) and human relationships that have some analogous points but are not identical in every way.

The issue is the nature of perseverance, apostasy, salvation, biblical teaching, not the self-evident issues of people still knowing each other despite broken relationships.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm still waiting for the passage that says Christ's righteousness is imputed to us. I've thoroughly searched and have not found one. There are many that say God gives His righteousness to those that have faith in Christ. I still see this statement of Christ's imputed righteousness as eisegesis in an attempt to make a doctrine of justification legally tidy and logical for intellect's sake. I think we try too hard sometimes to compartmentalize every aspect of salvation systematically and we lose sight that all this actual applied Grace is really beyond our earthly comprehension, it's okay to accept that some things we see in part.

It says specifically in the text that our sins are imputed to Christ, and I think some try to make their own logical leap saying we now get Jesus' righteousness, as if God needs a certain amount of merit to accept us, so we'll borrow Jesus' instead of seeing our faith in God and His Son as adequate to become righteous; the analogy that we hide behind Christ, and as a legal fiction we are declared righteous when we are not; instead of accepting that Christ's blood cleanses us, and by faith in Jesus we are given God's righteousness. Scripture clearly says that God gives to us and declares us righteous through faith, and that's sufficient for me. I'm not squabbling about words if you wish to say Christ is God so we do we receive His righteousness, if that were the case then the doctrine would be God's imputed righteousness which has textual support, though it's never stated that way in Reformed circles, its' always stated Christ's imputed righteousness.​
Romans 4:11

Whose righteousness do you think it is that is imputed to us?

2 Corinthians 5:21

Is Christ not God?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
There is a difference between knowing about someone, knowing them, and a right relationship with God. Divorced people remarry and are simply not married and in former right relationship anymore.
So people who actually know God would actually choose to leave Him? Is that your argument?

Some theists have now become atheists, just as some atheists have become theists. There is a difference between denying the existence of God (whether one ever believed in it or not) and human relationships that have some analogous points but are not identical in every way.
Either they know God or they do not, and if they do they will not walk away and deny Him.:nono:

The issue is the nature of perseverance, apostasy, salvation, biblical teaching, not the self-evident issues of people still knowing each other despite broken relationships.
You have nothing but ignorance.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The reality (confirmed by stern warnings in Scripture) is that some who once walked with God no longer do so. If Israel in the OT could go after false gods and get cut off, why do you think a born again Christian who renounces it and converts to Islam is still saved?! (or worse, becomes an atheist, like some have)?!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The reality (confirmed by stern warnings in Scripture) is that some who once walked with God no longer do so. If Israel in the OT could go after false gods and get cut off, why do you think a born again Christian who renounces it and converts to Islam is still saved?! (or worse, becomes an atheist, like some have)?!
Israel was never saved. Salvation is in the life of Jesus, which comes from His resurrection from the dead which had yet to happen during the times recorded in the OT.

Those who actually know God will never become atheist; for they cannot deny His existence, for one.

And while some can be fooled for a time and led astray into thinking the God they know is another god, they cannot undo what He has done, by any action of their own; and He will not undo it, for His gifts and calling are irrevocable.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Israel was never saved. Salvation is in the life of Jesus, which comes from His resurrection from the dead which had yet to happen during the times recorded in the OT.

Those who actually know God will never become atheist; for they cannot deny His existence, for one.

And while some can be fooled for a time and led astray into thinking the God they know is another god, they cannot undo what He has done, by any action of their own; and He will not undo it, for His gifts and calling are irrevocable.

The Rom. 11 verse is about Israel and her unique calling as a nation for service. It is terrible exegesis/proof texting to play that verse as a card for OSAS.

Sorry, but some who knew God, OT and NT, did go on to deny God, including His existence. It is begging the question on your part to say those who were born again and died as an atheist could not have been saved.

Even your MAD friends admit that the post-cross circ group could lose their salvation, an inconsistent view at best. Some even interpret Hebrews the way I do, but deny it is applicable to the post-Paul church.

I can understand a TULIP Calvinist taking your stance, but a free will Open Theist?!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The Rom. 11 verse is about Israel and her unique calling as a nation for service. It is terrible exegesis/proof texting to play that verse as a card for OSAS.
I didn't say anything about Romans 11.

Sorry, but some who knew God, OT and NT, did go on to deny God, including His existence. It is begging the question on your part to say those who were born again and died as an atheist could not have been saved.
You're delusional if you think it possible, outside of delusion, to truly deny the existence of someone you personally know.

Even your MAD friends admit that the post-cross circ group could lose their salvation, an inconsistent view at best. Some even interpret Hebrews the way I do, but deny it is applicable to the post-Paul church.
Wrong again: MAD teaches that the post-cross circumcision believers were in the same boat as those before the cross; they were looking forward to a future salvation.

I can understand a TULIP Calvinist taking your stance, but a free will Open Theist?!
Part of the open view is the God is free to do as He pleases, and it pleases Him [it is His will] to keep those who are His, and to not revoke His gifts or callings.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Rom. 11:29

I just took angel to task on your shared bad proof texting...ahem.:doh::carryon: