If Speed Limits Are Abolished Then How Can Anyone Be Accused Of Driving Too Fast?

Arthur Brain

:darwinsm:

Simple English too much for you?

:mock: Town.

No, but it's obviously too much for you if you see logical fallacies where there aren't any and especially after a direct quote. If you wanna act like a dope and some stupid kid can you go blog your daft smileys somewhere else?

Arthur Brain

Hardly, there's much more relaxed speed limits in places that have long open stretches of road such as Montana, Australia etc that makes sense. A lot of them are in unpopulated areas with no congestion of traffic. You support the abolishing of speed limits everywhere including heavily populated urban areas.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:darwinsm:

Simple English too much for you?
Yeah. That's what makes my doctorate so darn impressive.

No, but it's obviously too much for you if you see logical fallacies where there aren't any and especially after a direct quote. If you wanna act like a dope and some stupid kid can you go blog your daft smileys somewhere else?
He seems to have a real jones for my attention. Nothing new. And nothing much.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hardly, there's much more relaxed speed limits in places that have long open stretches of road such as Montana, Australia etc that makes sense. A lot of them are in unpopulated areas with no congestion of traffic. You support the abolishing of speed limits everywhere including heavily populated urban areas.
The article I linked to made sense on the point. But it would be a bad idea to abolish speed limits anywhere for the same reason the engineer noted.

EDIT: Shoot, didn't link, referenced. If I can find it again I'll post a link later.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

are you deflecting away from your dopey OP and thread title?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Hardly, there's much more relaxed speed limits in places that have long open stretches of road such as Montana,

The highest speed limit in America is 85mph.

There is only one highway in the US that has that speed limit. The TX-130, which is 130.6 miles long.

Half of TX-130 is owned by the government, and the other half is privately owned. The entire road is a toll road. Guess which portion of it 85?

The longest straightest stretch of highway in the US is North Dakota highway 46. It's 123 miles long.

Guess what the speed limit is.

65mph.

So, a shorter, straighter stretch of highway is regulated slower than a longer, curvier stretch.

Granted, they're different types of highways.

But one is straight and the other is curved, yet the straight one has a speed limit 20mph lower than the other.

:idunno:

Australia

I don't live in Australia. I live in the USA.

:blabla:

that makes sense. A lot of them are in unpopulated areas with no congestion of traffic. You support the abolishing of speed limits everywhere including heavily populated urban areas.

I support more than that, but you continue to refuse to consider my whole argument, and instead make straw man arguments against half of it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The article I linked to made sense on the point. But it would be a bad idea to abolish speed limits anywhere for the same reason the engineer noted.

EDIT: Shoot, didn't link, referenced. If I can find it again I'll post a link later.
Here's how to solve this issue you think is a problem for my argument.

Build better roads capable of handling higher traffic speeds.

:think:

Oh wait, I already addressed this by limiting the government to two responsibilities, infrastructure, and criminal justice (both foreign and domestic), and cutting out all the rest of the unnecessary "nanny state" stuff.

:think:

So, really, there's three parts to my argument that solve your personal problems with getting rid of speed limits.

Get rid of speed limits, impose harsher punishments for damaging property, causing injury, and/or deadly negligence, and building better roads.

All very doable if the Government's only focus is infrastructure and criminal justice.

It's not doable with our current government.

Oh, and by the way, I finally figured out how many judges there would be for our nation (assuming 120,000,000 households).

15,734,534 judges. From the two up under the king, down to the the judges of ten households at the bottom of the tree.

Compare that with the measly 3294 judges we currently have here in America...

... It's no wonder our docket list is so long...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Here's how to solve this issue you think is a problem for my argument.
Hey, JR. I don't know your argument. I really only stopped in to answer a question AB asked.

Build better roads capable of handling higher traffic speeds.
That would certainly help, but if you're advocating for no speed limits you're making a mistake.

So, really, there's three parts to my argument that solve your personal problems with getting rid of speed limits.
Again, haven't read your argument, but I can see it's about getting rid of speed limits and, again, I think that's a mistake. It's not a personal problem for me. Things that aren't happening and aren't likely to don't give rise to a particular angst or alarm in me.

Get rid of speed limits, impose harsher punishments for damaging property, causing injury, and/or deadly negligence, and building better roads.
Absent evidence that eliminating speed limits would make us safer there's no pragmatic argument for doing it.

All very doable if the Government's only focus is infrastructure and criminal justice.
Which I'd argue is another mistake, but everyone is entitled to their own idea of a perfect government so I'm not going to argue the point with you.

It's not doable with our current government.
Right.

I'm not going into the justice system arguments again. I've set out the empirical argument for the efficacy of ours. Absent something new on the point we've been there and done that to death.

Arthur Brain

The highest speed limit in America is 85mph.

There is only one highway in the US that has that speed limit. The TX-130, which is 130.6 miles long.

Half of TX-130 is owned by the government, and the other half is privately owned. The entire road is a toll road. Guess which portion of it 85?

The longest straightest stretch of highway in the US is North Dakota highway 46. It's 123 miles long.

Guess what the speed limit is.

65mph.

So, a shorter, straighter stretch of highway is regulated slower than a longer, curvier stretch.

Granted, they're different types of highways.

But one is straight and the other is curved, yet the straight one has a speed limit 20mph lower than the other.

:idunno:

Speed limits aren't solely based on the length or straightness, curvature of the road. If both roads are of similar ilk then I'll grant you it's a bit odd that the curved one has a speed limit 20mph slower than the other but I'll wager there'll be reasoning behind it. Surplus of traffic perhaps.

I don't live in Australia. I live in the USA.

And? I was simply using Australia to make a point.

:AMR:

I support more than that, but you continue to refuse to consider my whole argument, and instead make straw man arguments against half of it.

I've seen the rest of your "argument" and consider it fundamentally lacking. Leaving speed up to driver discretion, especially in built up urban areas is simply a recipe for disaster. For example, consider a responsible driver who doesn't drive excessively fast, say five miles above the current restrictions in residential areas, say 25mph. A child runs into the road and he does everything in his power to avoid it, slams on the brakes, swerves but it's not enough and the child sustains mortal injuries. Had the car been travelling at the current limit then the impact would have wounded the child but not killed it. You can't charge the driver with speeding as there's no limit. You can't really charge him with reckless driving as he's hardly been racing through the streets in an irresponsible manner. It's simply a tragic, fatal accident that could have been avoided by having a limit in place so everyone knows the law and drive accordingly or risk breaking it and face the consequences. The driver could then be rightfully charged with travelling over the speed limit.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... For example, consider a responsible driver who doesn't drive excessively fast, say five miles above the current restrictions in residential areas, say 25mph. A child runs into the road and he does everything in his power to avoid it, slams on the brakes, swerves but it's not enough and the child sustains mortal injuries. Had the car been travelling at the current limit then the impact would have wounded the child but not killed it. You can't charge the driver with speeding as there's no limit. You can't really charge him with reckless driving as he's hardly been racing through the streets in an irresponsible manner.

but you really really really want to charge the driver with something, right?
It's simply a tragic, fatal accident that could have been avoided by having a limit....

.... on children running into the road

it's called parental responsibility

otherwise, why not lower the speed limit to 20 mph and the wounds the child will sustain will be lessened even further?

why not 10 mph?

how much damage are you willing to allow to the child?