If its just love, why shouldnt incest be ok?

MrDante

Depends on your standard, doesn't it?

If you believe sexual relationships should be ordered toward the good of potential offspring, then sex should take place between a loving, committed, heterosexual couple.

If you believe sexual relationships should be ordered toward personal, physical gratification, then sex should take place between anyone and anything that enjoys it.

So a heterosexual couple unable to have children could not be a loving committed relations as they are interested in physical gratification.

theophilus

Theophilus, America is NOT a Christian theocracy - not yet that is .

And Hallelujah! a global Theocracy is coming Rev. 1:3c - because the time is near.

Just because the Bible proscribes homosexuality is no reason whatsoever for our government to criminalize it .

Why not? Criminalizing homosexuality would provide one less reason for God to judge this country in justice and righteousness.

We're not Iran or Saudi Arabia, where the morals police are always following people around to make sure they're not doing anything "naughty ". Like men and women having conversation together, or women are dressed improperly , etc.

Iran and Saudi Arabia are societies under a false religion and they are also Honor/Shame societies. Pride and reputation are "civic duties" there. Rules are in place because there is no self-discipline and no self-control.

If you want to live in a country where homosexuality iS illegal, move to Iran or Saudi Arabia .
Please , just mind your own business and concentrate on your own life . Who appointed you to be an official U.S. busybody, with the right to stick your nose into other people's bedrooms, judge them and demand that our government persecute them just because you find what they do in private "yucky ?

John 7:24 - I am called to judge righteously. God has said homosexuality is sin. Fornication is sin. Lust is sin.

US law must never be made on the selective interpretation of the Bible by certain Christians. My rights and the rights of other Americans should not be based on your interpretation of the parts of the Bible you choose to believe in . I am not a Christian and do not want Christianity shoved down my throat .Or any religion .

Matthew 12:37 - 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.

I regret your derision of the more perfect way and pray someday you may find the Way, the Truth and the Life.

theophilus

So is owning slaves, marrying your widowed sister-in-law, killing bratty children and forcing rape victims to marry the man who violated them.

Not any more.

Those laws were for the purity and protection of Israel as a called-out people in the midst of heathens. They were to be separate and distinct from the nations around them. Maybe you should explore the "why's" of those laws?

And the root and foundation of those laws was Love.

Still is - but Christ and grace are game-changers because no one could/can keep the law.

We pursue holiness, powered by the Holy Spirit. As to the law: 2 Cor. 3:4 Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, 6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

7 But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to be even more with glory? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation has glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness abound in glory. 10 For indeed what had glory, in this case has no glory because of the glory that surpasses it.

Love never changes.

glassjester

So, you only have sex for procreative purposes? I don't think so.

Ordered toward the good of the potential children, yes.
Sex does not just act as reproduction itself, but also fosters a bond between the couple (again, beneficial to the children).

Ideally, sex does not just bring about parents, it brings about loving, committed parents.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Ordered toward the good of the potential children, yes.
Sex does not just act as reproduction itself, but also fosters a bond between the couple (again, beneficial to the children).

Ideally, sex does not just bring about parents, it brings about loving, committed parents.

Well then, you've found the elusive "grey area" on your own accord...seek and ye shall find.

All the better since I didn't even have to sully my hands!

glassjester

Well then, you've found the elusive "grey area" on your own accord...seek and ye shall find.

All the better since I didn't even have to sully my hands!

How's that a gray area?

Sex is unitive and procreative.
If a sexual act is intrinsically opposed to either, or both, of those purposes, it's immoral.

quip

BANNED
Banned
How's that a gray area?

Sex is unitive and procreative.
If a sexual act is intrinsically opposed to either, or both, of those purposes, it's immoral.

By such standards you have quite a few heterosexual marriages - with no intention of procreating - that must exist immorally.

Is this what you're claiming?

glassjester

By such standards you have quite a few heterosexual marriages - with no intention of procreating - that must exist immorally.

Is this what you're claiming?

If a sexual act is intrinsically opposed to either the unitive or procreative aspect of sex, then the act is immoral.

I'm not sure about a marriage, itself, being immoral. Invalid, possibly.

It is possible for two people in a valid marriage, to engage in an immoral sexual act. Is that what you mean?

shagster01

Like asking:

If you think it's ok to allow prayer in schools why don't you support other religions being there too?

quip

BANNED
Banned
If a sexual act is intrinsically opposed to either the unitive or procreative aspect of sex, then the act is immoral.

I'm not sure about a marriage, itself, being immoral. Invalid, possibly.

It is possible for two people in a valid marriage, to engage in an immoral sexual act. Is that what you mean?

Where are you having difficulties here?

If a heterosexual married couple are having sex, using prophylactics/birth control with the explicit intent to not bear children (i.e. for personal pleasure) is this marriage, based upon an immoral sexual relationship, an immoral marriage?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
So, they never enjoy the act of sex...it's an exclusively godly duty?! :rolleyes:

I notice that this is a bit of an issue which churches really don't expound on much- on one hand, you have the notion that a person thoroughly imbued with the Spirit shouldn't need to partake in the physical pleasure of sex. Saint Augustine gets into heavy details about this, insinuating that recreational sex cleaves the soul from the body, being unable to control it and ultimately throwing the body to depravity.

But then on the other hand, conjugal rights are clearly expressed by Paul in the Bible and when two marry, they become 'one in the flesh'. So it seems that it's simply a venial issue within marriage, but a mortal one outside of marriage.

glassjester

Where are you having difficulties here?

If a heterosexual married couple are having sex, using prophylactics/birth control with the explicit intent to not bear children (i.e. for personal pleasure) is this marriage, based upon an immoral sexual relationship, an immoral marriage?

Using contraception is immoral, yes.

Committing an immoral act, while in a valid marriage, does not invalidate a marriage.
Is the marriage itself intrinsically opposed to the unitive or procreative aspect of sex?
No, not really. A man and woman engaging in a morally illicit sexual act, are not intrinsically unable to engage in a morally licit sexual act.

They are still validly married. They could wake up tomorrow and quit their sinnin'.

I think you're confusing validity with morality.

There is no "immoral marriage."