If God created...

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Glaciation is caused by a combination of factors including:

1) variations in Earth's motion around the sun (changes in the shape of Earth's orbit, the tilt of Earth's axis, and the wobbling of Earth's axis), and:
2) the carbon cycle.

The changes in Earth's motion around the sun affect the intensity and distribution of sunlight on Earth. Low obliquity of the Earth's axis during aphelion (the point at which the Earth is farthest from the sun) combined with eccentricity in the Earth's elliptical orbit around the sun means that the highest latitudes, where glaciation begins, don't get much solar radiation.

The carbon cycle is another major driver of climatic conditions. Wikipedia defines the carbon cycle as "the biogeochemical cycle by which carbon is exchanged among the biosphere, pedosphere, geosphere, hydrosphere, and atmosphere of the Earth...It describes the movement of carbon as it is recycled and reused throughout the biosphere, as well as long-term processes of carbon sequestration to and release from carbon sinks."

Glacial ice cores from as much as 4 kilometers deep have been extensively studied. Each year's layer of snowfall contains bubbles of Earth's atmosphere from its corresponding time period. Changes in the isotope ratios and greenhouse gas content preserved in those bubbles have been analyzed and the results have enabled paleoclimatologists to reconstruct the history of Earth's climate going back 420,000 years. Beyond that, Earth's climate can be further reconstructed using oceanic sediment cores, whose composition depends sensitively on ocean temperatures. The results of these analyses show that variations in carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere correspond with variations in atmospheric temperatures. Higher concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere lead to higher temperatures; lower atmospheric concentrations of CO2 lead to lower temperatures.

In summary, a continent such as North America can (and has) become ice-bound partly due to:

1) low obliquity of the Earth's axis during aphelion combined with elliptical eccentricity in the Earth's orbit; and
2) low concentrations of CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) in the earth's atmosphere.
Thanks, Wiki.

Did you understand any of that?

Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Thanks, Wiki.

Did you understand any of that?

Of course I understood it. If you didn't, a good dictionary will help. Here's a link to my favorite:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/reference

I like it because each word in a given definition is hyperlinked to its own definition, so if there is a word in a definition that you don't understand you can just click on it and get that word cleared up. Pretty kewl!

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Great. Can you sum up in a few of your own words how continents become ice-bound?

This sums it up nicely: http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/ice_ages/why_glaciations1.html

Basically, glaciations are caused by a lack of sunshine in the northern latitudes caused by variations in the Earth's orbit around the sun and its axial tilt. When this is combined with a decrease in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere due to chemical weathering, glaciation is bound to occur. (Chemical weathering is the process by which CO2 is removed from the atmosphere and sequestered underground, for example, by CO2 combining with H2O to form carbonic acid, which then reacts with rock minerals to form carbonates. The most common reaction is with calcium silicates, making calcium carbonate. This gets washed out to sea where it eventually sinks and forms limestone. CO2 was also taken out of the atmosphere by living organisms and buried as coal and oil.)

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This sums it up nicely: http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/ice_ages/why_glaciations1.html

Basically, glaciations are caused by a lack of sunshine in the northern latitudes caused by variations in the Earth's orbit around the sun and its axial tilt. When this is combined with a decrease in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere due to chemical weathering, glaciation is bound to occur. (Chemical weathering is the process by which CO2 is removed from the atmosphere and sequestered underground, for example, by CO2 combining with H2O to form carbonic acid, which then reacts with rock minerals to form carbonates. The most common reaction is with calcium silicates, making calcium carbonate. This gets washed out to sea where it eventually sinks and forms limestone. CO2 was also taken out of the atmosphere by living organisms and buried as coal and oil.)
If you decrease temperature, you decrease precipitation.

Without precipitation increasing, ice will not build up.

gcthomas

False. With rain that might be true, but snow doesn't flow to the sea as quickly, so even with reduced precipitation the ice will build up. But you know that, don't you?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

"In particular two factors were essential for the formation of the great glaciers. One was that the temperature dropped so much that the snow did not melt during the summer and thus could accumulate year after year. Second was that Earth's continents were so positioned that warm ocean currents flowed against north, and released their heat and moisture as precipitation in form of snow." -- http://www.dandebat.dk/eng-klima5.htm

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
"In particular two factors were essential for the formation of the great glaciers. One was that the temperature dropped so much that the snow did not melt during the summer and thus could accumulate year after year. Second was that Earth's continents were so positioned that warm ocean currents flowed against north, and released their heat and moisture as precipitation in form of snow." -- http://www.dandebat.dk/eng-klima5.htm

Waaaay too complicated for Stripe. He only reads Walt Brown anyway

gcthomas

Nope.

Snow melts and runs off, even with the extra time.

You need precipitation to increase to build up ice layers.

Crikey, you are stupider than I thought.

OK, in shorter sentences:

Gets colder and snows more.
Colder means not all snow melts every year.
Especially on hills and mountains.
So snow accumulates from year to year.
More snow.
More snow.
So more ice.

Pick one line you disagree with and explain what is wrong with it, please.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Crikey, you are stupider than I thought.

OK, in shorter sentences:

Gets colder and snows more.
Colder means not all snow melts every year.
Especially on hills and mountains.
So snow accumulates from year to year.
More snow.
More snow.
So more ice.

Pick one line you disagree with and explain what is wrong with it, please.
Sure.

The final three lines.

Colder means less precipitation.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
There is not necessarily more snow on the ground.

Less precipitation, remember?

Because it's colder.

This is your story.

No, this is our story:

You missed the second bit that I emphasized, obviously because YECs hate reading.

gg_60513W_AtlanticConveyor_Online3.jpg