I will not vote for trump

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
There's no point in destroying a thing unless you can build something better. But first he has to actually win the election...well, first he has to cement his hold on the nomination, do his best to see that the party doesn't splinter and a right wing version of Nader doesn't undo his position. Then he has to beat the Dems.

Republicans couldn't unseat the sitting President when that was essentially their only priority. So who knows?

Trump is riding a wave of popularity that is unparallelled. He will continue to gain a groundswell of support and new voters like Chrysostom

TFTn5280

I'm an evangelical who does not care for candidate Trump. Some have argued that I have no viable alternative and will surely waste my vote by not pulling the lever for Trump for conscience sake. Arguments often cite the negative impact of a Clinton presidency, SCOTUS nominees for example. I have not moved into ‪#‎NeverTrump‬ land quite yet and this whole situation is very uncomfortable for me. I really do not know what I will do come November, but am praying for wisdom.

This'll get me a shot of Southern Comfort I'm sure, but I'm gonna call it like I see it. Ted Cruz would be the presumptive Republican nominee right now, with likely the 1237 needed delegates to win this thing, if he had won the one area of this country that he was considered a shoe-in to win: that being the Bible-believing South. Going into the South he supposedly had a firewall set in place, much like Hillary's hold on the same region. In the South, Hillary had the blacks she could count on come hell or high water to vote her way, and Cruz was supposed to have the same with Evangelicals, himself being a firebrand Pentecostal homeboy. What happened? Well the blacks came through for Hillary (Think where she'd be today if they hadn't) but the entire South voted for Trump. A minor two-day waffle while Trump got himself "educated" on the horrors of Duke and the KKK, before his eventual denouncement of same, was all he needed to secure every state south of the Mason-Dixon line and east of Texas. To a cowboy in the West, this is how it looks. The South ~ King James in one hand, Confederate flag waving with the other ~ said which am I most willing to lay down that I might stretch out my hand and pull the lever come Super Tuesday? The answer came through loud and strong. Throughout the Bible-belt the flag flew high and proud. State after state that was supposed to be Cruz's went to Trump. Give those states to the guy with the firewall going into them and this whole thing looks a lot differently. Trump is no more KKK than than Jesse Jackson, and the South is not going to rise again, but for a long weekend leading into Super Tuesday, Trump whistled Dixie and in droves those really dependable Evangelicals said in their hearts, I'll vote my conscience next time: This one's for Dixie.

Bottoms up?

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
you cannot save the republican party from the idiots who hijacked it
-the republican party will survive this
-and
-the idiots will learn the hard way
-do you really think this country can survive a trump presidency?
-only an idiot would think that

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Trump is riding a wave of popularity that is unparallelled
He's popular with people that like him. But most people don't. In fact, Politico has this a race between two of the least liked candidates ever fielded in the same election cycle.

70% of women have an unfavorable opinion of Trump, according to Gallup.

He has a 78% negative among Latino voters, according to Latino Decisions polling.

Trumps only real hope is that moderates, who he can't woo, will stay home because we aren't wild about Hillary. That and that the Democrats don't rally behind her. Because even if Trump wins back the hearts and minds of every Republican he needs that plus to win the general.

Timotheos

Trump has become President, destroyer of the establishment

Trump will not become President, since he needs the votes of the Republicans to get there. He doesn't have their votes, since half of the Republican party hates Trump. Get ready for 4 years of Hillary, because of Trump. Maybe we can fix this 2020.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm an evangelical who does not care for candidate Trump. Some have argued that I have no viable alternative and will surely waste my vote by not pulling the lever for Trump for conscience sake.
Don't believe them. I think a vote is only wasted if someone does it in ignorance or for shallow reasons.

Arguments often cite the negative impact of a Clinton presidency, SCOTUS nominees for example. I have not moved into ‪#‎NeverTrump‬ land quite yet and this whole situation is very uncomfortable for me. I really do not know what I will do come November, but am praying for wisdom.

There is a Spurgeon quote being pasted about: “Of two evils, choose neither.” This tends to resonate with me, but as I was researching the quote further, I came upon the following analysis:

http://theaquilareport.com/spurgeons-of-two-evils-choose-neither-doesnt-help-us-with-trump/

Left unchecked, this may get some traction in my thinking, perhaps clearing the way for supporting Trump. You are invited to offer a rebuttal to the referenced analysis.

I read the article. To start, I reject that the boat scenario is a valid comparison. The sins of the boat captain are irrelevant to his ability to save the families. The sins of Trump and Clinton may be very relevant to their ability to lead.

But beyond that, I do agree to some extent with the author's point. I don't think you can simply say that voting for Trump or Clinton is a sin. When voting you are probably going to base it on certain priorities. A vote for someone doesn't mean you support any and all viewpoints of that candidate.

I also agree with ok doser's post where he said that right now we only have evil choices. Isn't it always a matter of degree right now? The question is where you draw the line. To bring up a common hypothetical, if the election was between Hitler and Stalin I imagine Mr Barber would have a different opinion on if/how to vote.

So if you don't want to vote for Trump then don't, I'd fully support you in that move, but don't let it be because you don't want to vote for an evil in a choice between two evils.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

My primary isn't until June 7. I'm interested to see how it turns out, because the GOP could have opened the primary to unaffiliated (No Party Preference) voters but didn't. The Democratic party did. NPP voter registration in California is almost the same as Republican, and both are way outnumbered by Democrats:
Did the Democrats do that just for this election?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
This'll get me a shot of Southern Comfort I'm sure, but I'm gonna call it like I see it. Ted Cruz would be the presumptive Republican nominee right now, with likely the 1237 needed delegates to win this thing, if he had won the one area of this country that he was considered a shoe-in to win: that being the Bible-believing South. Going into the South he supposedly had a firewall set in place, much like Hillary's hold on the same region. In the South, Hillary had the blacks she could count on come hell or high water to vote her way, and Cruz was supposed to have the same with Evangelicals, himself being a firebrand Pentecostal homeboy. What happened? Well the blacks came through for Hillary (Think where she'd be today if they hadn't) but the entire South voted for Trump. A minor two-day waffle while Trump got himself "educated" on the horrors of Duke and the KKK, before his eventual denouncement of same, was all he needed to secure every state south of the Mason-Dixon line and east of Texas. To a cowboy in the West, this is how it looks. The South ~ King James in one hand, Confederate flag waving with the other ~ said which am I most willing to lay down that I might stretch out my hand and pull the lever come Super Tuesday? The answer came through loud and strong. Throughout the Bible-belt the flag flew high and proud. State after state that was supposed to be Cruz's went to Trump. Give those states to the guy with the firewall going into them and this whole thing looks a lot differently. Trump is no more KKK than than Jesse Jackson, and the South is not going to rise again, but for a long weekend leading into Super Tuesday, Trump whistled Dixie and in droves those really dependable Evangelicals said in their hearts, I'll vote my conscience next time: This one's for Dixie.

Bottoms up?
Interesting post, laying down the Bible over the flag. The Evangelical support of Trump is still partly a mystery to me. Cruz seems perfect for them. My parents are evangelicals and I was surprised to hear that they weren't Cruz people (at least not my mom, my dad hasn't said as much about it, and she isn't for Trump either).

Recently I read an article that said evangelicals go for the Messiah type figure and Trump fits that bill. That theory made some sense. Perhaps some of it is what you said too, for the South, going for Dixie/Confederacy.