I need a little help

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I got a form from Social Security ,today, saying that unless she's still in school, my daughter will lose her social security benefits on her eighteenth birthday (1/3). I called them to ask about homeschooling and they couldn't help me at all. The closest thing I got to an answer was, "Is your homeschool accredited?" Can anyone, who has "been there, done that", give me advice on this? Thanks!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you a member of or have you contacted HSLDA? They're very helpful.

http://www.hslda.org/Default.asp?bhcp=1

I am not a member and didn't think of contacting them until you said that. I went to their website and called the number there though. Basically, they told me that they couldn't help me unless I become a member. And, I can't afford the membership fee until the first. So, I basically have to sit on my hands until I can pay them to help me with this.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hmmmmm...

http://www.doe.state.in.us/sservices/homed.htm

There's nothing approved or required by the state of Indiana. Your best bet may be to explain that by state law, you are considered a non-accredited private school, so really, the question's moot.

Well, I'm going to apply with HSLDA next week. It kind of bites that they won't help me out, even though I've read news stories where they helped non-members, without my sending them money.

johncalvinhall

I got a form from Social Security ,today, saying that unless she's still in school, my daughter will lose her social security benefits on her eighteenth birthday (1/3). I called them to ask about homeschooling and they couldn't help me at all. The closest thing I got to an answer was, "Is your homeschool accredited?" Can anyone, who has "been there, done that", give me advice on this? Thanks!

I am convinced that the HSLDA should be able to help. Personally, this sounds like a scare tactic, but I wouldn't ignore it. Here in Idaho, we've been homeschooling our 4 children for years and we hadn't had a problem.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am convinced that the HSLDA should be able to help. Personally, this sounds like a scare tactic, but I wouldn't ignore it. Here in Idaho, we've been homeschooling our 4 children for years and we hadn't had a problem.

I'm not really scared. I thought I was going to lose my daughter's social security when she turned 18 anyway. But, I got the forms today for her to fill out saying that she was still in school. If I can figure this out, I will get the $500 a month from social security until June, instead of losing it in February. I get a COLA (cost of living allowance) raise on my other check in May. And, that should almost cover the loss of the social security. :) It would help a lot if I didn't lose the social security before May.

fool

Hall of Fame
Isn't that normal?
Soc Sec for kids is for kids, she's an adult at 18.
Do kids that go to University keep soc sec benifits?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That sucks.
They should pay until she finishes high school.
It's not like she can get a full time job.
Well, technically, since we homeschool, she can get a full-time job in January. But, I'd prefer her to finish school first. And, I'd rather not have to drive ten miles each way to drop her off and pick her up at work when the roads are icy. :)

fool

Hall of Fame
Well, technically, since we homeschool, she can get a full-time job in January. But, I'd prefer her to finish school first. And, I'd rather not have to drive ten miles each way to drop her off and pick her up at work when the roads are icy. :)

There's the solution.
Graduate her early then ship her off to the salt mines with bottle caps glued to her soles for traction.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
I am not a member and didn't think of contacting them until you said that. I went to their website and called the number there though. Basically, they told me that they couldn't help me unless I become a member. And, I can't afford the membership fee until the first. So, I basically have to sit on my hands until I can pay them to help me with this.

I understand your dilemma! I always intended to join, but I was never willing to part with the money either. Homeschool families have curriculum to buy and are often limited by only one income. I can tell you this, though, if I ever need them, I'm glad they're there. Maybe the people in your church could help you come up with the membership fee. Surely they value the sacrifice you are making to educate your daughter. Don't be afraid to ask them for help.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I understand your dilemma! I always intended to join, but I was never willing to part with the money either. Homeschool families have curriculum to buy and are often limited by only one income. I can tell you this, though, if I ever need them, I'm glad they're there. Maybe the people in your church could help you come up with the membership fee. Surely they value the sacrifice you are making to educate your daughter. Don't be afraid to ask them for help.

Most of the people in my church (we're down to about ten families now) are against homeschooling. I'll be all right. They have a monthly payment plan ($21 the first month, then $11 a month for 11 months). Although I only need them for a short time (only about 7 months til :jessilu: finishes high school), it will be worth it if they can help me to keep the social security long enough for her to finish.

obsolete53

To bad that people who home school, and people like me who have children in a private school, get to pay for our children's education, and then help pay for the public dis-information schools.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To bad that people who home school, and people like me who have children in a private school, get to pay for our children's education, and then help pay for the public dis-information schools.

I know. There is a city, about twenty-five miles from me that gives retired people, with no children, the option of not paying a "school tax." But, everyone else has to pay it. Right now, I wouldn't take a tax credit for homeschooling, though. If the government thinks that they're "giving me money" they'll think that they have the right to tell me how to educate my children. And, everything that the government sticks its grubby little paws into winds up in the toilet.

Aimey

AMEN ebenz!

I am homeschooling in Indiana, but haave never had any problems.
Though I dont recieve soc security, if I had a problem I would very quickly find
the funds necessary to join HSLDA. That is the only legal institution I have heard of which speacializes in Homeschooler related problems.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Most of the people in my church (we're down to about ten families now) are against homeschooling. I'll be all right. They have a monthly payment plan ($21 the first month, then $11 a month for 11 months). Although I only need them for a short time (only about 7 months til :jessilu: finishes high school), it will be worth it if they can help me to keep the social security long enough for her to finish.

That's great that they have a payment plan! I had no idea. Maybe I'll join after all! I'm down to one high school student as well, but you never know when you might need some help. Besides that, if I can help support other homeschoolers, it's a worthy cause!