I hate being a newbie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

genuineoriginal

Nice. I feel welcomed already.

I see you found the reputation button.

You would have had a better response if you had created your own thread and said "Hi" instead of whining on this one.

At one of the churches I have attended, the Pastor had a bunch of T-shirts made up that said, "No Whining."

Lyraluthuin

It would seem so. I didn't realize that not doing what everyone else does would be viewed as a rocky start, though. I'll try not to whine, but I still don't want to create a "Hi I'm a n00b" thread unless I can think of a creative, slightly original way to do it.

Sorry to irritate people straight off. Hopefully, I can make the next few steps without stepping in anything.

genuineoriginal

It would seem so. I didn't realize that not doing what everyone else does would be viewed as a rocky start, though. I'll try not to whine, but I still don't want to create a "Hi I'm a n00b" thread unless I can think of a creative, slightly original way to do it.

Sorry to irritate people straight off. Hopefully, I can make the next few steps without stepping in anything.
The rocky start came when your second post was telling the owner of the site that you didn't like the way the Newbie Central forum was set up.
It is generally better to let people get to know you before you start criticizing the website.

I never started a n00b thread myself.
On my first day I jumped into the main forums and started irritating athiests. :chuckle:

If you don't want to start your own thread in this forum, just start posting in the Politics, Religion, and ... and The Rest forums.

Welcome to TOL.
:wave2:

Lyraluthuin

Good points, all. I have been in the Religion & Politics forums in the last hour or two, and I did find one place to post.

I didn't mean to criticize the Newbie Forum or the way Admin has it set up; I just went looking for an all-inclusive newbie thread, and was disappointed when I didn't find one.

God's still working on me.

genuineoriginal

Good points, all. I have been in the Religion & Politics forums in the last hour or two, and I did find one place to post.

I didn't mean to criticize the Newbie Forum or the way Admin has it set up; I just went looking for an all-inclusive newbie thread, and was disappointed when I didn't find one.

Then a good place to post about that is the Ask Knight thread.
You will always get an answer (but sometimes not the one you want).

bucksplasher

Three...three...three in one

Three...three...three in one

Hello new-bies and welcome to TOL. It's new and improved and much more welcoming than before. tWINs

bucksplasher

Remembering

Remembering

I don't think newbies can send Notifications or Private Messages. If I can, please can someone tell me how?
gets harder as I get older but I think you need 25-50 posts and the benefits start showing up. Otherwise you can pay upfront and like Chicago politics things should go faster. Just try to make sure you're not being recorded. tWINs

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

An all-inclusive newbie thread doesn't work so well (trust me, TOL is 12 years old). Every newbie has a story, and we want to get to know each one on a more personal level. An all-inclusive newbie thread branches out in so many directions that it quickly becomes useless and ignored. When newbies post new intro thread's separately the existing TOL members often notice it and give it more attention.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The really cool thing about the newbie threads, is that they are simply intended to be a good time, and to help us get to know each other. No harm, no foul, not really a waste of band witdth, since we are getting to know you.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
gets harder as I get older but I think you need 25-50 posts and the benefits start showing up. Otherwise you can pay upfront and like Chicago politics things should go faster. Just try to make sure you're not being recorded. tWINs

14 days and 50 posts. It passes really quckly!

Lyraluthuin

My other question being,
How does just posting a thread saying "Hi, I'm a newbie" and then a few people replying "hi" or "welcome" help you get to know a newbie?
If I can somehow craft a post that accurately describes me for you (and I don't much like talking about myself; the hardest job interview question for me is "tell me about yourself"), it might work a little. Or you could ask me questions about myself, but that doesn't seem to be what happens in most newbie threads.

So, how can people get to know me just by exchanging shallow greetings?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My other question being,
How does just posting a thread saying "Hi, I'm a newbie" and then a few people replying "hi" or "welcome" help you get to know a newbie?
If I can somehow craft a post that accurately describes me for you (and I don't much like talking about myself; the hardest job interview question for me is "tell me about yourself"), it might work a little. Or you could ask me questions about myself, but that doesn't seem to be what happens in most newbie threads.

So, how can people get to know me just by exchanging shallow greetings?
8 out of 10 times the greeting threads turn into something more than "shallow greetings". But even if they stay shallow.... so what? At least then the newbie has officially become part of the conversation.... his/her feet are wet and off to the races we go. :dog:

We've been doing it this way for 12 years... it works great.

Take this thread for example.... since it's tagged onto the end of another "hello" thread most people are probably missing the fact that you seem to be a poster that likes to quibble about things that you know very little about.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The really cool thing about the newbie threads, is that they are simply intended to be a good time, and to help us get to know each other. No harm, no foul, not really a waste of band witdth, since we are getting to know you.
True dat! A new thread consumes the exact same amount of bandwidth as does posts at the end of an existing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.