I am JesusSavedMe & I'm new to TOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesusSavedMe

Hello everyone. My name is Josh; I'm a Roman Catholic; and Jesus did save me from a life of despair. That was roughly 3 years ago. My goal (mission) now is to develop a very personal relationship with Jesus. I go to Mass; I listen; I pray. But my relationship with Jesus, along with my concept OF Him, is very generic. I want to put that generic concept of Jesus- the one that I grew up with- out of my mind in order to get closer to Him.
I'm having trouble and thought that maybe someone could point me in the right direction on my journey to truly know Jesus. Maybe somebody has been in my situation.
Thank u & God bless!

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Hello everyone. My name is Josh; I'm a Roman Catholic; and Jesus did save me from a life of despair. That was roughly 3 years ago. My goal (mission) now is to develop a very personal relationship with Jesus. I go to Mass; I listen; I pray. But my relationship with Jesus, along with my concept OF Him, is very generic. I want to put that generic concept of Jesus- the one that I grew up with- out of my mind in order to get closer to Him.
I'm having trouble and thought that maybe someone could point me in the right direction on my journey to truly know Jesus. Maybe somebody has been in my situation.
Thank u & God bless!

Welcome Josh,

Trust in the Holy Spirit of Christ to lead you into all truth (John 16:13) as you study the Holy Scriptures. For it is in the Scriptures that the Person of Jesus Christ is revealed.

And take a lot of what you read on TOL with a grain of salt, for there is a lot of error taught here. Compare all mens' words with the Holy Scriptures, in order to walk a straight path!

Blessings,
Nang

JesusSavedMe

Thank you, Nang. I work an insane amount of hours every week, so I keep my Bible in my work van. It was recommended to me that I start with the Gospels- specifically Mathew. I'm confused as to where I should start. I've read Genesis in it's entirety, most of Job (as it was fitting of my struggles at the time- AND Chapters/Verses of other Books at different times. Could you recommend which Gospel I should start with?
Thanks,
Josh

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Thank you, Nang. I work an insane amount of hours every week, so I keep my Bible in my work van. It was recommended to me that I start with the Gospels- specifically Mathew. I'm confused as to where I should start. I've read Genesis in it's entirety, most of Job (as it was fitting of my struggles at the time- AND Chapters/Verses of other Books at different times. Could you recommend which Gospel I should start with?
Thanks,
Josh

Matthew is a good start to learn the historical narrative of the life of Christ, and then the book of John is especially good to learn of the deity of Jesus Christ.

I would recommend going through the book of Romans fairly soon also, for some theologians consider it to be the "constitution" of the Christian faith.

May God bless your studies!

Nang

JesusSavedMe

Matthew is a good start to learn the historical narrative of the life of Christ, and then the book of John is especially good to learn of the deity of Jesus Christ.

I would recommend going through the book of Romans fairly soon also, for some theologians consider it to be the "constitution" of the Christian faith.

May God bless your studies!

Nang

Thanks, Nang. I will start with the Book of Romans. After that I'll decide whether to read John or Matthew next. I appreciate your reply & your advice very much! God bless,
Josh :thumb:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank u & God bless!

God will have nothing to do with you or your rotten no good life. Or anybody else for that matter. To start, you need to accept the free gift of salvation. He (God in the flesh) came and died for your sin and was raised up for your justification. If you accept his gift and believe him, you will be seated with him and sealed. Then you can have relations with our wonderful creator.

:)

Ps82

Welcome Josh.

For me, it was important to discover that God is real, alive, and knows what is going on in my life. I did not seek and find this truth by my own power, but it was revealed to me by the living God.

I pray that He reveals this to you also... then you and I can be on the journey together to maintain our trust in the truth.

BTW, God is very concerned about you and your life... but you can't expect him to be a god of your choosing. He is the one that chooses... but He likes to reveal himself unto those who are seeking Him and especially to those honoring and respecting him. Just seek and you will find ... for He will honor those who honor Him. I Samuel 2:30 KJV

See you around.

JesusSavedMe

God will have nothing to do with you or your rotten no good life. Or anybody else for that matter. To start, you need to accept the free gift of salvation. He (God in the flesh) came and died for your sin and was raised up for your justification. If you accept his gift and believe him, you will be seated with him and sealed. Then you can have relations with our wonderful creator.

:)

Hey Nick. Ha Ha Ha Ha. Lol. When you pray to Jesus, would you say that you have a relationship with him, being as you are communicating with Him?
I am merely trying to get closer to Him & understand His plan for me.
Maybe you don't agree with Catholicism; I don't know why you're being so bitter. Either way, just leave me alone.

JesusSavedMe

Welcome Josh.

For me, it was important to discover that God is real, alive, and knows what is going on in my life. I did not seek and find this truth by my own power, but it was revealed to me by the living God.

I pray that He reveals this to you also... then you and I can be on the journey together to maintain our trust in the truth.

BTW, God is very concerned about you and your life... but you can't expect him to be a god of your choosing. He is the one that chooses... but He likes to reveal himself unto those who are seeking Him and especially to those honoring and respecting him. Just seek and you will find ... for He will honor those who honor Him. I Samuel 2:30 KJV

See you around.

Thank you so much! You are right. Jesus will reveal Himself to me. If I try to understand Him, I will still end up with MY vision of who Jesus is.
God bless.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thanks, Nang. I will start with the Book of Romans. After that I'll decide whether to read John or Matthew next. I appreciate your reply & your advice very much! God bless,
Josh :thumb:

And welcome to TOL :wave2:

John Mortimer

Hi Josh... welcome!

Hello everyone. My name is Josh; I'm a Roman Catholic; and Jesus did save me from a life of despair. That was roughly 3 years ago. My goal (mission) now is to develop a very personal relationship with Jesus. I go to Mass; I listen; I pray.
That's fantastic! Jesus does do personal relationships, so just keep on with communion in the heart. That's where we find Jesus is in the heart. True prayer is of the heart. The heart is the very center & core of our being.

The liturgy of the mass can be tremendously helpful too. Have you found that your participation in the Holy Communion has changed, (felt more meaningful perhaps), over the past 3 years?

You say you listen... I find this intriguing. Can you say a bit more about that?

But my relationship with Jesus, along with my concept OF Him, is very generic. I want to put that generic concept of Jesus- the one that I grew up with- out of my mind in order to get closer to Him.

That is awesome. The realization that a closer relationship with Jesus absolutely requires the challenging of the old, (and perhaps comfortable), mental boxes into which we so readily try to fit the Christ is a sign of real spiritual movement and growth.

Thank u & God bless!

The holy scriptures have already been mentioned and there's no question that there is a treasure house of spiritual resource right there.

The Rosary is another thing I would mention... do you feel intuitively drawn to that? I understand that many people do not. The reason I mention it is because it has been immensely helpful to me. However each individual has a unique story and yours will certainly be different from mine. The Rosary does provide a different way to enter into communion with Christ.

Above all I would say that whatever route(s) you take you should be absolutely, 100% convinced that Jesus really IS available to you personally... His living and immediate Presence right in your heart.

Blessings

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hey Nick. Ha Ha Ha Ha. Lol. When you pray to Jesus, would you say that you have a relationship with him, being as you are communicating with Him?
I am merely trying to get closer to Him & understand His plan for me.
Maybe you don't agree with Catholicism; I don't know why you're being so bitter. Either way, just leave me alone.

Bitter? Do you have reading comprehension skill? If I was bitter, I would let you go straight to hell.

And since you couldn't say that Jesus died for your sin and was raised for your justification, then my guess is you don't believe. Is that the case? If that is the case, you don't have a relationship with him.

JesusSavedMe

Hi Josh... welcome!

That's fantastic! Jesus does do personal relationships, so just keep on with communion in the heart. That's where we find Jesus is in the heart. True prayer is of the heart. The heart is the very center & core of our being.

The liturgy of the mass can be tremendously helpful too. Have you found that your participation in the Holy Communion has changed, (felt more meaningful perhaps), over the past 3 years?

You say you listen... I find this intriguing. Can you say a bit more about that?

That is awesome. The realization that a closer relationship with Jesus absolutely requires the challenging of the old, (and perhaps comfortable), mental boxes into which we so readily try to fit the Christ is a sign of real spiritual movement and growth.

The holy scriptures have already been mentioned and there's no question that there is a treasure house of spiritual resource right there.

The Rosary is another thing I would mention... do you feel intuitively drawn to that? I understand that many people do not. The reason I mention it is because it has been immensely helpful to me. However each individual has a unique story and yours will certainly be different from mine. The Rosary does provide a different way to enter into communion with Christ.

Above all I would say that whatever route(s) you take you should be absolutely, 100% convinced that Jesus really IS available to you personally... His living and immediate Presence right in your heart.

Blessings

Well, I listen to the readings (take them in)- especially the Gospel reading. But, I just feel so distant from Jesus on a personal level. I have felt differently about the Euchurist in the past 3 yrs, but now that you brought it up, I have realized, once again, that there is where we receive the Grace of Jesus Christ. The body & blood of our Lord! Eucharistic Adoration! It just came to me. The Holy Communion is my link to Jesus!

John Mortimer

Well, I listen to the readings (take them in)- especially the Gospel reading. But, I just feel so distant from Jesus on a personal level. I have felt differently about the Euchurist in the past 3 yrs, but now that you brought it up, I have realized, once again, that there is where we receive the Grace of Jesus Christ. The body & blood of our Lord! Eucharistic Adoration! It just came to me. The Holy Communion is my link to Jesus!

The adoration of the eucharist is a perfect occasion also for listening in the heart.

Do you think there might be any reason why you would perhaps put barriers up to Jesus speaking directly to your heart?

I know myself these can be difficult questions because we obviously don't intend to put barriers up and yet...... Jesus wills to communicate with us personally and if we are aware that we feel a distance from him then then the problem is going to be on our end, (maybe in the subconscious mind), and not on his.

To give examples from my own experience - I had subconscious beliefs, (and therefore I wasn't even consciously aware of them), that Jesus was kind of scary because he was so powerful, incomprehensible and perfect; also that I was unworthy and so Jesus would never actually get personal with me.

I'm not saying these are barriers you might have but I am saying that it's a good idea for us all to prayerfully ask Jesus to help us see any such barriers our subconscious minds might be generating, so we can dismiss them.

JesusSavedMe

Yes. I didn't think about it until u mentioned the subconscious,but yes I do put up barriers. I feel so insignificant in the scheme of things. But now I'm remembering coming out of my dark days of addiction; Jesus thought enough of me then to save me (it was Not my doing, it was Jesus), so why would He not count me worthy now? He was always there. I just lost the spiritual connection that I had back then.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi, Josh. :wave:

Watch out for the Tiger. :noid:

Somewhere, somehow, Newman is laughing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.