Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I haven't seen much school discussion going on this year.
How's everybody's year going so far? Any exciting stuff going on? Field trips? Awesome explosions from a science experiment gone wrong? :shocked:

Lovejoy

I taught my small group's pastor's children how to read an ECG. They did alright for a four-year-old and a seven-year-old. I don't believe that counts as home schooling, though.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lovejoy said:
I taught my small group's pastor's children how to read an ECG. They did alright for a four-year-old and a seven-year-old
Electrocardiogram?... to a 4 year old? Cool!

I don't believe that counts as home schooling, though.

It wasn't taught at a public school. That's all that counts. :D

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
We just finished our third week of homeschooling our two girls who are 5 and 8. The kids love it so far and my wife is having fun. They went to a corn maze with a homeschooler group last week. So far so good!

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vaquero45 said:
We just finished our third week of homeschooling our two girls who are 5 and 8. The kids love it so far and my wife is having fun. They went to a corn maze with a homeschooler group last week. So far so good!

That is so neat! I knew you guys just started homeschooling this year and I've been wondering how it was going for you. I'm so glad to hear that things are going well. :up:

See how much smarter your girls are already? ;)

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Poly said:
That is so neat! I knew you guys just started homeschooling this year and I've been wondering how it was going for you. I'm so glad to hear that things are going well. :up:

See how much smarter your girls are already? ;)
smart, but socially awkward!!!! ;)

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I might be imagining things, but I truly think my 8 year old seems happier.
We are setting up an area for them, got a couple of desks, book shelves, and a whole bunch of curiculum materials. it's been fun so far. Some of my family were not thrilled with out choice, but we think it is the way to go.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vaquero45 said:
Some of my family were not thrilled with out choice, but we think it is the way to go.
I'll bet this will pass after a few years. My husband's side of the family thought we were radical nuts for homeschooling. Now, my SIL who is a public school teacher and thought we were really out of our mind when we first started is now very supportive. Her own daughter is thinking about homeschooling with her full support if she decides to.

Lovejoy

Poly said:
Electrocardiogram?... to a 4 year old? Cool!

It wasn't taught at a public school. That's all that counts. :D
Yeah, they can accurately identify V-tach on the second lead of a 12 lead ECG. You know, if it should ever come up in conversation. I tried to teach them about white blood cells (on a couple of microscope images on on my PDA), but they had already learned about that on The Magic School Bus.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right now, :jessilu: and I are fighting over what's more important: horses or geometry. :chuckle:

Crow

My sixteen year nephew dropped out of public school about three weeks ago. His mother has no plans to attempt to homeschool him, and takes kind of a "what can I do" attitude toward it.

Some stuff makes you want to scream. He's a bright kid, but he likes to get into trouble and found plenty of like-minded friends to hang out with at his supposedly "one of the best" public schools. It makes me angry. Homeschooling kids won't prevent all problems, but I think it could have prevented this one.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Our boys have discovered nature and animals as being extremely interesting to them all of a sudden.

I'll have to take them fishing soon and maybe teach them how to kill stray cats. :devil:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BillyBob said:
I'll have to take them fishing soon and maybe teach them how to kill stray cats. :devil:
You mean your kids haven't learned this yet? NarrowWay made sure our kids mastered this one when they were in the Kindergarten. :D

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't have enough time. Our kindergardner wasn't catching on to reading and my wife was gettning frustrated. I said to just relax, that I'd help when I could. As time permitted we've done a little work together and he's starting to understand. But if I had more time I could have handled this on my own and there wouldn't have been any stress.