How were the geological layers laid down?

aharvey

noguru said:
And? Are you just going to restate your opinion from the other thread? Or are you going to give us some more information on why you believe this.
Ah well, we've been here before. In some other thread, it may take weeks or months, we will again be hearing how the fossil record and geologic layers are best explained by a single global flood, and we will again fail to learn how so. Kinda like verbal varves.

Jehu

Dr. Hfuhruhurr said:
What is it, simply a problem of reading comprehension? Aharvey's use of "only" modifies the area, "T-rex bones, for example, are found on the surface only in areas that...," not the date, 'which give dates of ONLY ~65 millions years," as you put it. Sloppy thinking here, Jehu,--do you even grasp the distinction?--or is it an intentional attempt to misstate his meaning?

That has to be the most inane post criticism i've ever read. You know exactly what my point is, and you know that rock layers containing T-Rex bones are not all "independently" dated in that range. And yes, I do realize that paleontoligists do not date the rocks around dino fossils, that would of course be a waste of resources since they already "know" when everything lived and would likely get wrong dates. The methods of dating these strata are flimsy at best.

Dr. Hfuhruhurr

BANNED
Banned
Jehu said:
You know exactly what my point is, and you know that rock layers containing T-Rex bones are not all "independently" dated in that range.

Ah, so you choose to ignore my criticism of your misstatement with a sorry, "You know exactly what my point is." Sure I know what your point is, and it's irrelevant to the point aharvey made. He addressed only AREAS that that have a certain dating, where as you addressed only DATES of certain areas. And now you turn your attention to the subject of "independence" as if this was your issue all along. I'm sure the Independence aharvey was talking about was Independence from the fossils contained there in, not that each fossil site was independently dated. Give us a break, Jehu.

And yes, I do realize that paleontologists do not date the rocks around dino fossils,
Could have fooled me. You said, "no lab is going to date rock layers containing dino bones as older or younger than the accepted range.. they will just assume error in their dating technique and choose another one." So just what labs are you talking about, and how would they do what you suggest without having the fossil matrix? The implication of your statement is that their error in dating would be adjusted to reflect the current understanding of a particular fossil's age. To do this the lab work would be subsequent to the finding the fossils, not prior, and prior dating is almost always the case. Paleontologists know full well, or have at least an excellent idea of, the age of the strata they are digging in.

The methods of dating these strata are flimsy at best.
Well, why don't you share your knowledge of this data that throws doubt on stratigraphic dating? I'm sure the geological world would like to know that their datings are flimsy and why.