ECT How is Paul's message different?

Jerry Shugart

Hebrew through Revelation is all Jewish , an in-escapable FACT !~

You did not answer my question but instead you want to change the subject.

What do you think that Peter was referring to when he used the words "free" and 'liberty"?

"As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God"
(1 Pet.2:16).​

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The reason the question has no effect on me is because I really can’t see an answer coming from any place besides speculation.
Any place that you want to go, you mean.

I've been all but beating you over the head with the answer for months now.

My answer would be the same reason he chose Moses. Right man for the job.
What? No, no, no!

I'm not asking you about what Saul's qualifications (or lack thereof) were!

Is it possible that the point of the question escapes you?

Who was Moses replacing? Who was already in place with a full three years of first person training from the incarnate God Himself that Moses was stepping along side of? Who was it that had been super-naturally indwelt by the Holy Spirit of God Himself in direct fulfillment of prophecy that Moses was stepping all over with a message that he had to and explain to them?

There is zero - zero parallel between Moses and Paul that has anything to do with why I am asking the question.

If Paul had simply been "the right man for the job" you might think that since God had separated him from his mother's womb for this ministry that Jesus might have brought him along side and made him an apostle like he did the others.

The fact is, frankly, that I do not believe that you didn't get the point of the question. This was your attempt at avoiding it by trying to turn it into something else.

Besides that, I fail to see how it proves he was given a different gospel. I see he was given a different audience but not a different gospel.
That doesn't help you either.

If someone where to ask you outside the context of this discussion who the audience of the Twelve Apostles are in the New Testament, you'd instantly say that believers are. You wouldn't hesitate for one second to give that answer and you wouldn't qualify it by making any distinction between Jewish believers vs. gentile believers. Your mind would instantly go to the great commission an the phrase "all the world". But now, you're stuck because you just got through telling me that they had a different audience than Paul's and so that is no longer an option because the whole world is Paul's audience, both Jew and Greek alike. So who's left to be the "different audience" of the Twelve?

I see the same thing and that is exactly why I strive to challenge what I understand to be truth. I don’t want to blindly follow what I was taught from youth. That’s why I have joined in the discussion on this site. If mad is truth, I want to know it but as you have figured out, I have since come to the conclusion mad is not truth. It creates too many problems that can't be answered.
No it doesn't but this statement made something click for me. It goes back to our original discussion, which I suggest you go back a read through because I just realized that we haven't pushed passed your paradigm yet - not even close. The fact that you can claim the Mid-Acts Dispensationalism creates problems at all is proof of it.

The error that you are making is critiquing one paradigm from within another. It is a subtle form of question begging. In other words, the problems you see being created are only problems if your paradigm is true. In fact, one probably has to hold to your paradigm to even see the problems you speak of.

If you are genuinely searching for the objective truth, which I believe you when you say you are, then you must must must guard your mind against making this error. That, of course, is way easier to say than it is to do because your paradigm itself is what will prevent you from detecting when doing it. All you can do (that I can think of) is to become very much more methodical. Question the premise of every question. You have to always be asking yourself whether whatever objection you're thinking of would exist outside your paradigm.

A clue, that even I have been missing up to now, is when someone can't seem to understand where in the world your questions are coming from or why you keep asking the same question again and again in spite of one's best effort at giving a direct answer. Discussing paradigm level issues is very much like having a discussion where there is a language barrier or even a culture barrier where lots of concepts have very different implications in a hundred different directions.

At this point I stick around mostly to challenge those who are willing but I still and always will continuing to challenge what I believe. I gotsta know.
No argument from me on that point.

It is difficult if not impossible. That’s why I wanted to start at the beginning and keep it simple before moving on.
What you've picked to focus on is not the beginning. It's beginning of the dispensation perhaps but that's much nearer the end of the story than it is the beginning. It is, in fact, a detail. What you need to do is to forget the details for now and focus on getting a view of the big picture. Then the details become easy.

:doh: WHY OH WHY DIDN'T I SEE THIS EARLIER! :doh:

I really must be slipping!

Look, you very simply have to get your hands on Bob Enyart's, The Plot. The working title of that book (if I remember the story correctly) was "The Big Picture". The whole purpose of that book is to give a wide angle overview of the plot line of the whole bible. A fair chunk of it has been presented here in conceptual form but in the book, Bob takes the time to establish each point biblically. A task that is well outside the scope of this forum. Bob does not start by focusing on some particular detail of doctrine. Most theology books are written to tell you what the author thinks about a certain doctrine or set of doctrines. That isn't the point of this book. It does go into detail about several doctrines but not until after it had laid the foundation of showing you the big picture context of the bible overall (i.e. "The Plot" - of the bible.) The danger now is that this very discussion has inoculated you against the whole idea but, be that as it may, you need to see the arguments for yourself. You need to read that book.

A different audience.
There's only one "all the world" (Mark 16:15).

Resting in Him,
Cletes

whitestone

Personally, the way I see things I'm a Christian. No hyphenation because I don't believe Christ is divided. My understanding is you're either a Christian or your not.

Oh,I Mine own self would not though then defend the accusation unless I understood the position of the "Church of Christ" denomination, they are Amill..

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Why the personal attacks? Why not deal with the problem I posed?

If Paul received the gospel from Jesus and not man, then where did his water baptizing come from?

I hesitate to say this but the simple answer to this question is that things were in transition. Paul does go into some detail distancing himself from the practice in I Corinthians. Different people have different things to say about I Corinthians chapter 1 but no matter how you slice it, you can't read that chapter and think that Paul was all that into baptizing people. He makes it pretty clear that baptism was not part of his gospel.

I Corinthians 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel,...​

Now, please don't press me on this. I'm not the least bit interested in starting a debate about baptism. I just offered this because the question is valid and I felt like it deserved an answer but you've got to understand that I know from experience how that answer is going to sound in your ears. That's why I hesitated to even say it. If that answer makes your head do THIS it is because you are evaluating that answer from within your own paradigm, which, as I said before, doesn't work.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Personally, the way I see things I'm a Christian. No hyphenation because I don't believe Christ is divided. My understanding is you're either a Christian or your not.

Having separate groups of believers is not the equivalent of "Christ being divided", which you only say because it sounds really bad and surely no one would want to be associated with such an awful idea as "Christ divided". It's called "poisoning the well" and it's irrational. You should avoid saying such things.

Besides, today there aren't two separate groups. Today, it is quite true that you are either a Christian or you are not. You either believe Paul's gospel before you die or you are condemned. That will remain the case until such time as God returns to Israel and "grafts her back in again" as Paul put it. Then Paul's gospel will have run it's course and the focus will be on Peter, James and John (biblically speaking) with Christ reigning over the nations from Jerusalem for a thousand years. After that - God only knows.

Resting in Him,
Clete

turbosixx

Is it possible that the point of the question escapes you?
I’m beginning to think so.

If someone where to ask you outside the context of this discussion who the audience of the Twelve Apostles are in the New Testament, you'd instantly say that believers are. You wouldn't hesitate for one second to give that answer and you wouldn't qualify it by making any distinction between Jewish believers vs. gentile believers. Your mind would instantly go to the great commission an the phrase "all the world".
True. Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Jew and Gentile alike are sinners.

But now, you're stuck because you just got through telling me that they had a different audience than Paul's and so that is no longer an option because the whole world is Paul's audience, both Jew and Greek alike. So who's left to be the "different audience" of the Twelve?
The reason I say a different audience is because of previous MAD conversations about Gal. 2:7. Paul and the 12 would preach the gospel to anyone. I believe the 12 had a lot of work in and around Jerusalem. Paul was not accepted there so he was the perfect man to take it on the road.

The fact that you can claim the Mid-Acts Dispensationalism creates problems at all is proof of it.
Here are just a few of the problems I see MAD create.
Daniel and Jesus are false prophets.
It divides Christ.
Where is the earthly kingdom in Jesus's teaching Israel and saying it’s at hand?

If you are genuinely searching for the objective truth, which I believe you when you say you are, then you must must must guard your mind against making this error. That, of course, is way easier to say than it is to do because your paradigm itself is what will prevent you from detecting when doing it. All you can do (that I can think of) is to become very much more methodical. Question the premise of every question. You have to always be asking yourself whether whatever objection you're thinking of would exist outside your paradigm.
I do try to question everything but when people tell me a passage doesn’t mean what it says, I’m going to be skeptical.

A clue, that even I have been missing up to now, is when someone can't seem to understand where in the world your questions are coming from or why you keep asking the same question again and again in spite of one's best effort at giving a direct answer. Discussing paradigm level issues is very much like having a discussion where there is a language barrier or even a culture barrier where lots of concepts have very different implications in a hundred different directions.
Great analogy. It does seem like a different language. Based on your answers, your not really getting my point either.

What you've picked to focus on is not the beginning. It's beginning of the dispensation perhaps but that's much nearer the end of the story than it is the beginning. It is, in fact, a detail. What you need to do is to forget the details for now and focus on getting a view of the big picture. Then the details become easy.
That is exactly what I do. I would suggest you are looking at the trees and not the forest.

15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.
9 What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin,

Last edited:

Danoh

If Paul received the gospel from Jesus and not man, then where did his water baptizing come from?

Not a personal attack.

And the problem is one you yourself have posed - your assertion on here in the past that you hold with (the cult known as) the "Church of Christ."

No surprise then, your/their constant emphasis on the false doctrine of water baptism for salvation.

And no surprise than that you cite their verses for their false "Church of Christ" assertion.

Are you now denying you hold their doctrine is sound and that it is also your own?

"Christian" smish-tian - Roman Catholics, and Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, etc., all assert as much. Doesn't make them so.

Out with this about your self already.

I welcome your proving this not being the case.

I'm sure we all do.

Clear this up.

Rom. 5: 6-8.

turbosixx

Oh,I Mine own self would not though then defend the accusation unless I understood the position of the "Church of Christ" denomination, they are Amill..

We do not seek to divide Christ into denominations. That's why were use a scriptural name, call ourselves Christian and follow what we read in scripture such as church offices worship and so on.

turbosixx

Having separate groups of believers is not the equivalent of "Christ being divided", which you only say because it sounds really bad and surely no one would want to be associated with such an awful idea as "Christ divided". It's called "poisoning the well" and it's irrational. You should avoid saying such things.
Help me to see it your way but based on what Paul says to the Corinthians, they were separating themselves based on who converted them, I follow Paul, I follow Peter. You've said those Peter converted were in Christ but different than those converted by Paul. Wouldn't that justify their separating themselves? Pauls converts were in the body in Christ but Peters were just in Christ and not in the body?

Besides, today there aren't two separate groups.

When you say two separate groups, I assume you mean in Christ at one time?

Last edited:

whitestone

We do not seek to divide Christ into denominations. That's why were use a scriptural name, call ourselves Christian and follow what we read in scripture such as church offices worship and so on.

Makes no sense at all, you keep using the pronoun "we" and saying you refer to yourselves as "Christians" but the proof given by you a few post back in the form of a question was ,is you Churches name in the bible?

turbosixx

Makes no sense at all, you keep using the pronoun "we" and saying you refer to yourselves as "Christians" but the proof given by you a few post back in the form of a question was ,is you Churches name in the bible?

The question was, is the name on your building found in scripture? If not, where did it come from? If not, is Jesus even mentioned in the name on the building?

whitestone

The question was, is the name on your building found in scripture? If not, where did it come from? If not, is Jesus even mentioned in the name on the building?

lol, In other words were all just beating around the bush and if we just ask you you would say(pretend were asking,lol)...

musterion

Church of Christ would explain his ignorant blindness. Well I was close.

Ultimately tho, Baptist and CoC are the same...CoC are just honest enough to admit how much weight before God they think their baptism has. That's why Turbo is what he is.

musterion

This is what I disagree with....Paul preaches the same thing Peter did on Pentecost.

No.

Peter preached the crucifixion as bad news -- a murder committed by the entire nation, one they all had to repent of and prove it by a water baptism right out of Moses, Jew first.

Paul preached the cross as the best news all mankind ever heard, with God in it reconciling the world to Himself, to be received by faith alone without works of any kind, including water baptism, and free to all without distinction.

Peter preached NONE of that at Pentecost.

You are wrong and lost.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul baptized believers. Who am I to disagree with him.

Act 22:14 And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
Act 22:15 For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
Act 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.