ECT How is Paul's message different?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Turbosixx,

Sorry that I've been away for a while. I've been very busy with other things and had to set TOL aside for a bit.

I think I have a better understanding of how you view the law of love. I agree, if I do something begrudgingly because God wants me to, that’s not loving God. That’s how the old law worked. A man could lust in his heart for a woman but if he didn’t commit the act he didn’t break the law. Christ changed that. It’s not just our actions anymore, it’s of the heart. That being said, I don’t see the heart as all there is to it. The actions that flow from the heart reveal the heart.
Jesus didn't change anything here! He simply explained that the Law doesn't simply judge your action but the intent of your heart. That is to say that the Law condemns BOTH your actions and the thoughts of your mind. That is not a change at all. At most, it was a clarification used to demonstrate that people are worse off spiritually than they might think.

This is the root of my understanding and it’s in agreement with what Jesus himself taught. It’s about the walk and not the talk.
As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,
The question here is, "How did you receive Christ?"
Was it by following the rules or was it by believing? Was it by your flesh or by the Spirit? If it was the later that brought you to Christ then why attempt to walk according to former? Forget the former! It has been nailed to the Tree and taken away. You don't need it and it won't help you, it can only kill you. For the law kills but the Spirit gives life.

Loving God and loving Jesus isn’t about mental understanding, its love that causes action. What does the bible tell us about love?
There can be no love without mental understanding. They are not opposites, the one is foundational to the other.

1 Cor. 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love causes action. I would suggest if there is no action, there isn't really love.
In the context of your paradigm, your suggestion is legalism.

"To preach devotion first, and blessing second, is to reverse God’s order, and preach law, not grace. The Law made man’s blessing depend on devotion; Grace confers undeserved, unconditional blessing: our devotion may follow, but does not always do so,—in proper measure."

Have we been afraid to really believe God? Have some even been afraid to allow others to really believe Him? We must never forget that "God’s ways are not always man’s ways. To some men constant peril is the only spur to action, and many religions and psychologies are dependent on fear to keep their disciples in line. Fear, too, has a place in Christianity, but God has higher and more effective motivations than fear, and one of these is love. Often fear after a while produces only numbness, but love thrives on love. To promise a man the certainty of his destiny may seem, on the human level, like playing with fire; but this leaves God out of the picture. Those who have the deepest appreciation of grace do not continue in sin. Moreover, fear produces the obedience of slaves; love engenders the obedience of sons" (J. W. Sanderson, Jr.). - From Principle of Spiritual Growth by Miles J. Stanford

Our actions of love must be according to God’s will and no other. Paul loves God and when he was persecuting Christians he was acting on that love. He had zeal but not according to knowledge. We must know the will of the Lord to please him, to understand how to walk.
This is a curious statement. I agree with it completely but I can't see how you square this statement with what you said above about how, "Loving God and loving Jesus isn’t about mental understanding..."

Eph. 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; 2 and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma. 3 But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints; 4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
6 Let no one deceive you with empty words
, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them; 8 for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light 9 (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), 10 trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; 12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret…..
15 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
I have a question that may help make some progress here...

When did immorality become immoral?

When did it become wrong to be impure or greedy?

Also, do you believe that Adam had an alternative to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil? Could he have learned righteousness (and by extension, evil) in another way? If so, how?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Cross Reference

Turbosixx,

Sorry that I've been away for a while. I've been very busy with other things and had to set TOL aside for a bit.

Jesus didn't change anything here! He simply explained that the Law doesn't simply judge your action but the intent of your heart. That is to say that the Law condemns BOTH your actions and the thoughts of your mind. That is not a change at all. At most, it was a clarification used to demonstrate that people are worse off spiritually than they might think.

Was it by following the rules or was it by believing? Was it by your flesh or by the Spirit? If it was the later that brought you to Christ then why attempt to walk according to former? Forget the former! It has been nailed to the Tree and taken away. You don't need it and it won't help you, it can only kill you. For the law kills but the Spirit gives life.

There can be no love without mental understanding. They are not opposites, the one is foundational to the other.

"To preach devotion first, and blessing second, is to reverse God’s order, and preach law, not grace. The Law made man’s blessing depend on devotion; Grace confers undeserved, unconditional blessing: our devotion may follow, but does not always do so,—in proper measure."

Have we been afraid to really believe God? Have some even been afraid to allow others to really believe Him? We must never forget that "God’s ways are not always man’s ways. To some men constant peril is the only spur to action, and many religions and psychologies are dependent on fear to keep their disciples in line. Fear, too, has a place in Christianity, but God has higher and more effective motivations than fear, and one of these is love. Often fear after a while produces only numbness, but love thrives on love. To promise a man the certainty of his destiny may seem, on the human level, like playing with fire; but this leaves God out of the picture. Those who have the deepest appreciation of grace do not continue in sin. Moreover, fear produces the obedience of slaves; love engenders the obedience of sons"​

That is terrible agenda ridden religious understanding! It stinks!! And then he puts a guilt trip on folk to support his bent!!​

Danoh

That is terrible agenda ridden religious understanding! It stinks!! And then he puts a guilt trip on folk to support his bent!!

Who is the "he" you are you referring to, CR?

If Clete; though I haven't agreed with Clete on other things on other threads, I do agree with his above take on what he was addressing.

Titus 3:

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Cross Reference

Who is the "he" you are you referring to, CR?

The commentators offered up by Clete. They are all "wet".

Clete should through them all out, read his Bible and then write his own. If he is born again, he would find out by doing that he would get a mjuch better understanding of the issues.

If Clete; though I haven't agreed with Clete on other things on other threads, I do agree with his above take on what he was addressing.

Titus 3:

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Me either. However, given we all know we are saved by grace; no man has righteousness sufficient of himself to offer, which is the reason for Jesus Christ who offered up the blood of Himself in our behalf, where do you or anyone else get the idea, aside from redemption, salvation because of it is, unmerited?

Danoh

The commentators offered up by Clete. They are all "wet".

Me either. However, given we all know we are saved by grace; no man has righteousness sufficient of himself to offer, which is the reason for Jesus Christ who offered up the blood of Himself in our behalf, where do you or anyone else get the idea, aside from redemption, salvation because of it is, unmerited?

So let's clear this up; I take it you believe that in order to get saved one has to believe that Christ died for their sins; is that right?

And just so we're clear; I simply want to be clear on what your stance is on that; ok.

Next question? Now, do you believe one can lose salvation and has to do something maintain it?

My own answer is yes to the first question and no to the second one.

I'd like to know where you are coming from and the answer to those two questions will help in that regard. That is why I am asking them. No other reason. Fair?

turbosixx

Glad your back, I was getting worried when it was no longer on the front page. While you were away I went back and read my post and didn’t like it. I envy how well you’re able to put your thoughts into words.

The problem I see with your logic is you're taking proofs that we're not under the Law of Moses and using them to prove we're not under any law. You said I was taking this out of context but I've looked it over and I don't believe I am. If you believe I am, take me through the context. If we're not under law, why would he have to appear to be "as without law"?
1 Cor. 9:21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

I agree it was a clarification of how God sees our sin but I don’t understand how you can say this isn't a change or something different than the Law of Moses (LOM). Under the LOM a man could lust greatly in his heart and begrudgingly not act upon that lust and it wouldn’t be counted as sin. Under the law of Christ (LOC), if we lust in our heart we are guilty of sin. The law was a shadow and not the very thing, since it wasn’t the real thing it needed to be changed to the real thing.

Under the shadow, violators were punished by death. Do we get a pass under the real thing?
Heb. 10:26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?

I agree this is a good question but it’s not the right question for us. Paul is talking about the LOM which is not the gospel? These people were being persuaded to add elements of the LOM. We're not nor have every been under the LOM. No one can be justified under the LOM and one can’t seek to be under the LOM and the LOC. They’re incompatible. Sinful man is High Priest under one and Christ is HP under the other. It’s Christ all the way.
4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. We can't apply this to prove we are not under the LOC, he's talking about the LOM.

Receiving Christ by the gospel and then trying to added elements of the LOM doesn’t mean there are no rules under the LOC.
1 Thes. 4:1 Finally then, brethren, we urge and exhort in the Lord Jesus that you should abound more and more, just as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God; 2 for you know what commandments we gave you through the Lord Jesus.

2 Tim. 2:5 And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules.

I agree but you can’t believe you love someone and not act on it and it really be love as I understand love found in the bible. For example, believing you love your wife and you tell her you love her but never show it.

I believe Jesus is the son of God and is God. I believe he lived as a man and died on the cross, was buried and was raised the third day. I believe his blood cleanses my sins and I’m saved by grace. In your understanding, does this make me a believer? If so, am I now free to live as good as I can but if there's a sin I really don't want to give up I can continue in?

"To preach devotion first, and blessing second, is to reverse God’s order, and preach law, not grace. The Law made man’s blessing depend on devotion; Grace confers undeserved, unconditional blessing: our devotion may follow, but does not always do so,—in proper measure."​

Paul didn’t see himself as OSAS. He disciplined his body (devotion) so that he would receive the blessing (crown). I’ve asked other OSAS’ers to explain this passage but they ignore the context to make it fit their thinking.
I Cor. 9:24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.
Why does he say “may”, shouldn’t they have already won?

25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.
He’s talking about salvation.

26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
Disqualified, not second not even last. How could he be disqualified if he understands that he is already saved and can't lose it? He then goes into the next chapter proving his point by showing them an example from the OT of those who were God's people but didn't make it to the promised land.

Have we been afraid to really believe God? Have some even been afraid to allow others to really believe Him? We must never forget that "God’s ways are not always man’s ways. To some men constant peril is the only spur to action, and many religions and psychologies are dependent on fear to keep their disciples in line. Fear, too, has a place in Christianity, but God has higher and more effective motivations than fear, and one of these is love. Often fear after a while produces only numbness, but love thrives on love. To promise a man the certainty of his destiny may seem, on the human level, like playing with fire; but this leaves God out of the picture. Those who have the deepest appreciation of grace do not continue in sin.
I agree love is essential and a great motivator but we see fear in scripture as a motivator as well.
2 Cor. 7:1 Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Moreover, fear produces the obedience of slaves; love engenders the obedience of sons" (J. W. Sanderson, Jr.). - From Principle of Spiritual Growth by Miles J. Stanford
I put almost zero stock in what man says. Men can be and offen are wrong. The bible isn't.
Rom. 6:16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?... 18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

This is a curious statement. I agree with it completely but I can't see how you square this statement with what you said above about how, "Loving God and loving Jesus isn’t about mental understanding..."
A good example of me having trouble putting thoughts in writing. I meant “only” mental acknowledgment.

I have a question that may help make some progress here...

Also, do you believe that Adam had an alternative to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil? Could he have learned righteousness (and by extension, evil) in another way? If so, how?

Resting in Him,
Clete

I appreciate questions, I believe they cause one to really think about their position. Jesus used it a lot so it must be effective. I’ll answer these in another post.

Last edited:

turbosixx

Since God defines it I would say always but Paul says sin hadn't "entered the world" until Adam.
12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned- 13 for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Resting in Him,
Clete

I only know what God tells me. What I understand about the garden is Adam had one rule. Do not eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil or you will die. God didn’t put a fence around it or make it hard to get to; it was in the middle of the garden with easy access and right next to the tree of life. As long as Adam didn’t eat the forbidden fruit, even thought he might have strongly desired it, he was pleasing God and not himself. Satan perverted God’s word and said “you will not die”. To me he has perverted the truth of grace, “you will not lose your soul”.

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Cross Reference

What in the world are you talking about?

:kookoo:

Nothing I suppose you would understand that might encourage me to explain.

Sorry. Your religious commentators are "wanting". . . wanting to only protect their religious agenda. Theodore Epp comes quickly to mind.

My question to you and anyone else who has faithfully read the scriptures is, Why, if one is born again, one in which is revealed from him the hunger and thirst after righteousness and genuine love TO God by the seeking to KNOW Him, would you or anyone such as Stanford, Sanderson, Epp, and other of like persuasion irrespective of denomination, want to manufacture an incomplete doctrine of Jesus Christ from a complete one full of expression and clarity of the gospels, one in which there is no contraction as the young doctrine of MAD is?

Here is an excerpt from Sanderson's opinion based upon what he understood Paul to be saying:

Ephesians 2:4-9

"This section begins with a very important “but.” The passage emphasizes what we deserved, “but” rather, we were shown mercy and grace. Grace is an unmerited gift that can never be earned. It is a gift. The only role we played in our salvation was to receive this free gift that God mercifully gave us. This gift was Christ himself, and in fact, comprises two gifts. First, we were given the gift of forgiveness—our sins were completely wiped out. Second, we were credited with Christ-righteousness. This means that when God sees us, in a sense, He sees the perfect life of His Son that has been credited to us. We are like a dirty page hidden within a book. That book is Christ.

Paul emphasizes that this mercy was shown us while we were still “dead” in our transgres- sion. This means that we were completely helpless to help ourselves. In fact, when this mercy was extended to us, we were still actively in a state of rebellion."
His foundation for understanding is WRONG. By declaring God's Grace to be a gift and by "unmerited" favor can it only be bestowed upon those whom God chooses is, fabricated error. The man is wrong. The denomination which preaches/teaches it is, WRONG. The only thing they may be thinking of by that declaration is, "Redemption". Redemption, man had absolutely nothing to do with. Ergo, creation is/was for God; something set in Himself that could not be accomplished without man but, which demanded man's allegiance. Adam wouldn't give it. Jesus did.

Salvation is the gift that "Redemption/Reconciliation/Restoration" provides for, i.e., a new foundation upon which God is now building His new creation. The prerequisite for receiving the gifts God, by His grace is "OUR FAITH", grace being the venue through which God grants His gifts in accordance with His will and purposes for which our ability to "handle" His Glory comes into play. It is the path traversed by God and men in whom He has found favor.

Holy Spirit ><><><><>< man's reconciled human spirit.

Ever wonder why not many people with such gifts today? Ever wonder why such preaching against them being part of God's plan for His people beyond Pentecost?. . . think unbelief.

God is sovereign and sin still can't enter His presence. The Atonement has taken care of that problem for both God and man. Having said that, salvation is still something man must ask for in the prescribed way, i.e., by committing his life to the restoring plan of God.

Read your scriptures in that light. . . . and to be fair, I am open to correction but NOT from any religious[ly] programed commentary.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Nothing I suppose you would understand that might encourage me to explain.

Sorry. Your religious commentators are "wanting". . . wanting to only protect their religious agenda. Theodore Epp comes quickly to mind.

My question to you and anyone else who has faithfully read the scriptures is, Why, if one is born again, one in which is revealed from him the hunger and thirst after righteousness and genuine love TO God by the seeking to KNOW Him, would you or anyone such as Stanford, Sanderson, Epp, and other of like persuasion irrespective of denomination, want to manufacture an incomplete doctrine of Jesus Christ from a complete one full of expression and clarity of the gospels, one in which there is no contraction as the young doctrine of MAD is?

Here is an excerpt from Sanderson's opinion based upon what he understood Paul to be saying:

Ephesians 2:4-9

His foundation for understanding is WRONG. By declaring God's Grace to be a gift and by "unmerited" favor can it only be bestowed upon those whom God chooses is, fabricated error. The man is wrong. The denomination which preaches/teaches it is, WRONG. The only thing they may be thinking of by that declaration is, "Redemption". Redemption, man had absolutely nothing to do with. Ergo, creation is/was for God; something set in Himself that could not be accomplished without man but, which demanded man's allegiance. Adam wouldn't give it. Jesus did.

Salvation is the gift that "Redemption/Reconciliation/Restoration" provides for, i.e., a new foundation upon which God is now building His new creation. The prerequisite for receiving the gifts God, by His grace is "OUR FAITH", grace being the venue through which God grants His gifts in accordance with His will and purposes for which our ability to "handle" His Glory comes into play. It is the path traversed by God and men in whom He has found favor.

Holy Spirit ><><><><>< man's reconciled human spirit.

Ever wonder why not many people with such gifts today? Ever wonder why such preaching against them being part of God's plan for His people beyond Pentecost?. . . think unbelief.

God is sovereign and sin still can't enter His presence. The Atonement has taken care of that problem for both God and man. Having said that, salvation is still something man must ask for in the prescribed way, i.e., by committing his life to the restoring plan of God.

Read your scriptures in that light. . . . and to be fair, I am open to correction but NOT from any religious[ly] programed commentary.
Stanford was an staunch Acts 2 Dispensationalist and HATED Mid-Acts Dispensationalism!

I don't know anything about Sanderson's doctrine. What you quoted makes me all but certain that he is/was a Calvinist.

In short, you don't have any idea what you're talking about. My quoting something that someone got right does not imply that I endorse everything they ever said or believed or taught.
If you disagree with me in regards to whether what I quoted is right or wrong then make an argument based on the point I was making, not on whatever obscure reference you can Google up from someone who isn't participating in the conversation about a topic that isn't even being discussed.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Turbosixx,

I'm very frustrated.

I intend to respond to your posts but it may be a while. I have to spend some time thinking about what is the best way to respond because you are further entrenched into your paradigm than you were when this conversation began. To respond to some of what you've said in any way that you would have any chance of accepting would require me to rehash a large percentage of what has already been said. Not that I'm unwilling to do so but that I'm not at all sure which tack to take that won't continue to push you further down a road I don't want to push you down.

Let me respond for now by asking you another question...

Just what (in your view) is the law of Christ and in what way is it different than the Law of Moses?

Please answer with Galatians 3:21 in mind.

In the mean time, I'll think through your other posts and see what I can come up with.

Resting in Him,
Clete

turbosixx

I'm very frustrated.

I intend to respond to your posts but it may be a while. I have to spend some time thinking about what is the best way to respond because you are further entrenched into your paradigm than you were when this conversation began. To respond to some of what you've said in any way that you would have any chance of accepting would require me to rehash a large percentage of what has already been said. Not that I'm unwilling to do so but that I'm not at all sure which tack to take that won't continue to push you further down a road I don't want to push you down.

I'm feeling the exact same way. Please, take your time. I really appreciate your time and I am trying to see it your way. I really, really want to understand truth.

Last edited:

Cross Reference

Stanford was an staunch Acts 2 Dispensationalist and HATED Mid-Acts Dispensationalism!

I don't know anything about Sanderson's doctrine. What you quoted makes me all but certain that he is/was a Calvinist.

In short, you don't have any idea what you're talking about. My quoting something that someone got right does not imply that I endorse everything they ever said or believed or taught.
If you disagree with me in regards to whether what I quoted is right or wrong then make an argument based on the point I was making, not on whatever obscure reference you can Google up from someone who isn't participating in the conversation about a topic that isn't even being discussed.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Sanderson's commentary was my benchmark. Calvin's theology has been a bane to Christendom.