Honest Answers.

Halster

Hello, I am a 17 year old male from the UK, and was brought up an atheist. I'm posting on here to ask a pressing question of mine. To me I don't feel I require faith, or religion however I'd like to try and understand why people do, so please, share your stories, why or how you have come to faith and why you feel you need it?

Please be as civil as possible.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
To me I don't feel I require faith, or religion however I'd like to try and understand why people do...

For guidance and direction with regard to the meaning and purpose of life. For example, is there a God and if so what does he expect of us?

Halster

You need to see from my perspective, however. I have no reason to ask such questions, because I find peace in the fact there is no definable meaning, or purpose of life. I don't find that I require such meaning or feeling of purpose, I just live my life. The idea of this thread was for me to understand and find empathy for people of religious backgrounds and who have faith.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The idea of this thread was for me to understand and find empathy for people of religious backgrounds and who have faith.

For what purpose?

If you choose to live without purpose then how can you relate to someone who has a purpose?

No two people see life the same. If your life is not broke then why fix it?

Leave well enough alone, the purpose of life is peace.

Halster

Because empathy is one of the most important traits a human can have, empathy for people and an understanding of why they feel how they feel, why they think how they think. How can you live in a world populated by 7 billion people without at least trying to gain some empathy for other people. You still don't understand why I am doing this. Its not in attempt to modify my own feelings towards things, but to learn why others have different ones. I honestly believe that people who have no want to understand others are the worst kind of people.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Hello, I am a 17 year old male from the UK, and was brought up an atheist. I'm posting on here to ask a pressing question of mine. To me I don't feel I require faith, or religion however I'd like to try and understand why people do, so please, share your stories, why or how you have come to faith and why you feel you need it?

The difference between our faith and every other belief system is the difference between "advice" and "news". Yeshua didn't just come to give advice. He came to bear our debt, to pay for the penalty of our sins (the wages of sin is death), so that we could be free to forgive one another as he forgave us. Its not advice that is the message of the bible, but it is news, good news. The news that God has intervened on our behalf, and has provided forgiveness for our sins.
We are beings that need unconditional all accepting love. Our problem is that none of us know how to give this kind of love because all of our love is conditional in some way and is self serving. But God who is the embodiment of love, and who does not need love, became a willing sacrifice and gave his life as a ransom for sin. Why? Because we needed love. And so that we could receive the kind of love we as human beings so desperately needed - unconditional, accepting love and so that we could become the kind of people He created us to be.

It's not what we can do for God but what He has done for us. He entered "our world," He took on
"our humanity," He bore "our sins," He died "our death, "He was resurrected for "our life," He's coming again for "our glorification."
Paul in his letter to the Romans is urging us on the basis of all that he taught on, on the basis of all that has been done, he urges us to become living sacrifices:
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God". (Romans 12:1, 2 KJV)
"therefore" meaning all Paul taught concerning grace and mercy, we have become thru Christ the objects of God's omnipotent, eternal love.

If we have not understood all that the mercies of God has done, if we have not understood doctrinally and theologically deep enough, all that Messiah has accomplished for us, then we have become useless to him. God is calling us to live our lives as living sacrifices unto him. Our problem is, we are so prideful that we are not willing to give up anything for others. When a sacrifice was laid upon the altar there was a great deal of suffering involved, the animal experienced pain and suffering. What are we willing to give up? What are we willing to place upon the altar? So that we can become a blessing to others, and become servants of the Most High God?

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Hi Halster,

Nice to meet you.

I am Jesus' follower but I am not Trinitarian which most Christians are.

I became Jesus' follower because He teaches love. His teachings gives me sense of acceptance to higher being which is almighty God.

I am ready to accept anything that this world through at me because of Jesus' teachings.

This is confidence and no amount of money or anything can give me.

Bless you, my friend.:)

ClimateSanity

Hi Halster,

Nice to meet you.

I am Jesus' follower but I am not Trinitarian which most Christians are.

I became Jesus' follower because He teaches love. His teachings gives me sense of acceptance to higher being which is almighty God.

I am ready to accept anything that this world through at me because of Jesus' teachings.

This is confidence and no amount of money or anything can give me.

Bless you, my friend.:)
That's essentially Buddhism.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

glorydaz

You need to see from my perspective, however. I have no reason to ask such questions, because I find peace in the fact there is no definable meaning, or purpose of life. I don't find that I require such meaning or feeling of purpose, I just live my life. The idea of this thread was for me to understand and find empathy for people of religious backgrounds and who have faith.

That's like saying you're content eating rice, but would like to hear why others bother to fix a well balanced meal. I think you need a better line. ;)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

You're so young and naive there'e no reason to engage you.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Because empathy is one of the most important traits a human can have, empathy for people and an understanding of why they feel how they feel, why they think how they think. How can you live in a world populated by 7 billion people without at least trying to gain some empathy for other people. You still don't understand why I am doing this. Its not in attempt to modify my own feelings towards things, but to learn why others have different ones. I honestly believe that people who have no want to understand others are the worst kind of people.
The Catholic Church is the largest charitable organization in the world, give your money to the Catholic Church.

Stuu

While I find christianity a pretty immoral hobby, one lesson I have learned posting on ToL (and elsewhere) is the importance of not misrepresenting the actual beliefs of individuals. There are over 40,000 different christian denominations, and disagreements within each. It is a mistake to make a strawman argument of someone's beliefs, but it is endlessly fascinating to try to understand how people can belief some really bizarre stuff.

Stuart