Homeschooling vs. Public Schooling

Granite

Hall of Fame
Dread Helm said:
I am rather skeptical of that. Homosexuals want everyone famous in history to be known as a Homosexual (ie. Abraham Lincoln, Jesus Christ).

Be skeptical all you want, kid, it's history. And it doesn't denigrate Da Vinci's genius, accomplishments, or life in any way if he was a homosexual. If you seriously think that every admirable man and woman on the planet throughout human history was straight, you're beyond naive.

I would agree that too often people try to read into history and stamp anyone they can find with the "gay" label, which isn't the right attitude.

Do your homework.

TheSearcher

BANNED
Banned
As far as history goes, gay men and women through history have been very significant in shaping art as a whole. For the most part they are intelligent and artistic people. Some of their work is breath taking, like DaVinci's work. I dont see where the problem is.

Christine

Dread Helm said:
That's the cool thing about homeschooling. If you don't know, you have plenty of information at your fingertips. Christine in the Homeschoolers thread listed many references to good curriculum. If you want to know what a "zealot" is, look it up in the dictionary! If you are thinking about homeschooling, you should definately visit the Teachers section on TOL!
I've reposted that list of resources below.

I would suggest you check out HSLDA to find out how to homeschool legally in your state. Some other sites that might be of interest:

Trivium Pursuit (family favorite)

Abeka (Christian textbook company)

Bob Jones University Press (another Christian textbook company)

Alpha Omega (yet another Christian curriculum company)

Christian Light (more Christian curriculum)

Rod and Staff (Christian curriculum)

Sonlight (Christian curriculum, a favorite of mine)

Five in a Row (Christian curriculum for young children)

Vegsource (great place to find used curriculum for all ages)

For children that young, however, you don't necessarly need a rigorous curriculum. This article Ten Things to Do Before Age Ten might be of interest. :)

TheSearcher

BANNED
Banned
It is important to find out what you can and cant do as far as home schooling in your state, even though I dont think the government has any business to do that.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
TheSearcher said:
It is important to find out what you can and cant do as far as home schooling in your state, even though I dont think the government has any business to do that.
To my knowledge most, if not all, states allow homeschooling. But the requirements about what constitutes documentation of adequate academic performance varies from state to state. Some allow students to submit portfolios for evaluation, some require standardized testing, some have a combination of the two...

Christine

Zakath said:
To my knowledge most, if not all, states allow homeschooling. But the requirements about what constitutes documentation of adequate academic performance varies from state to state. Some allow students to submit portfolios for evaluation, some require standardized testing, some have a combination of the two...
Z, homeschooling is legal in every state. You are correct in saying the legal requirements vary from state-to-state, yet some states (OK for example) don't even require testing or evaluations, while other states require both.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Christine said:
Z, homeschooling is legal in every state. You are correct in saying the legal requirements vary from state-to-state, yet some states (OK for example) don't even require testing or evaluations, while other states require both.
Thanks for the update. It's been some years since I was involved as a homeschooling parent...

How do students in states like OK achieve the equivalent of a high school diploma or demonstrate proficiency so interested students can apply for college admission?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Zakath said:
Thanks for the update. It's been some years since I was involved as a homeschooling parent...

How do students in states like OK achieve the equivalent of a high school diploma or demonstrate proficiency so interested students can apply for college admission?

In Oklahoma the requirements for college admissions are that you provide a transcript and submit your ACT scores. If your ACT scores aren't high enough, some colleges may require that you take an entrance exam.

Last edited:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Poly said:
In Oklahoma the requirements for college are that you provide a transcript and submit your ACT scores. If your ACT scores aren't high enough, some colleges may require that you take an entrance exam.
Thanks! :thumb:

Does the transcript have to be "official", meaning provided by an independent educational institution?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Zakath said:
Thanks! :thumb:

Does the transcript have to be "official", meaning provided by an independent educational institution?

No. We have much leniency in Oklahoma.

erinmarie

Poly said:

In my research so far it seems that PA is one of the more rigid states for homeschooling laws. What a bummer. I guess it will just help us be more effecient though! :thumb:

Christine

Poly said:
My family had some friends who considered moving to OK and we looked into the homeschool laws for them. You must have the best laws! :D

JoyfulRook

Dread Helm said:
I'm glad you have such a positive outlook on life. :rolleyes:
So you're trying to say you are jealous of homeschoolers because their life isn't "hard"?
Jujubee: Why did you negative rep me for this? You didn't leave a comment.
Jujubee said:
reputation_neg.gif
Homeschooling vs. Publi...May 22nd, 2005 10:43 PMJujubee

Freak

fool said:
My problem with home schooling is, where is the misery?
getting frost bite waiting for the bus.
eating a soggy sandwich in a dirty lunch room.
fighting with a bully.
carrying 30 pounds of books on your back.
faceing piles of homework every night cause some teachers think their subject is the only one you're studying.
listening to some liberal teacher drone on for an hour with thier own personal brand of nonsense.
school isn't about learning.
it's about getting used to how bad life is gonna suck
:LoJo: :LoJo: :LoJo:

intro2faith

beanieboy said:
I think the article makes great points, and I'm sure if everyone could afford it, they would like to have a private tutor. Some people simply can't, and public education provides opportunity for all.

That's true, but homeschooling isn't very expensive at all anymore. And you don't even need a "private tutor". The homeschooling program I'm looking into right now doesn't even require your parents to be active in your education. It's a computer program(inexpensive too) and it lets you teach yourself. That program is especially great for parents that work, yet still want their kids to be homeschooled. There's lots of options to look into. :)

JoyfulRook

intro2faith said:
The homeschooling program I'm looking into right now doesn't even require your parents to be active in your education. It's a computer program(inexpensive too) and it lets you teach yourself.:)
I have Switched-On-Schoolhouse, which is very similar. I like it a lot.

Christine

intro2faith said:
That's true, but homeschooling isn't very expensive at all anymore. And you don't even need a "private tutor". The homeschooling program I'm looking into right now doesn't even require your parents to be active in your education. It's a computer program(inexpensive too) and it lets you teach yourself. That program is especially great for parents that work, yet still want their kids to be homeschooled. There's lots of options to look into. :)

There are lots of great homeschooling options, but a word of warning on on-line programs. Some of them are called "charter schools," which are nothing more than a glorified on-line public school. The money for the program comes from the state, so the parents pay nothing, but they also get no say in their child's education and have to follow all the school guidelines, some of which would not apply if they were homeschooling instead of charter schooling.