Homeschoolers

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you as tired of the "sheltered lifestyle" argument as am I? I just told a woman today that I don't "shelter" my kids from life experiences but rather I "orchestrate" those experiences according to the specific child's needs and readiness. Changes the whole attitude around. :D

One of my fares (that I drive around now and then) told me that she doesn't believe that home-schooling should be legal because the kids don't learn how to socialize. :chuckle: I told her that, rather than not learning to socialize, home-schooled kids learn to socialize with all age groups and learn that in real life, adults don't spend eight hours a day five days a week with thirty people all the same age as they are. She didn't know how to reply to that one.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Are you as tired of the "sheltered lifestyle" argument as am I? I just told a woman today that I don't "shelter" my kids from life experiences but rather I "orchestrate" those experiences according to the specific child's needs and readiness. Changes the whole attitude around. :D

Great answer! It's the socialization argument that gets me! I'm not as charitable as you, though. I usually say something like, "Oh, good point. Let's see, I would be much better sticking my kid in an artificial social construct of kids who are all the same age because I'm sure when he's an adult, he'll only work with people his own age. Oh, and I can see how I'm damaging his social formation by removing him from the same social construct that demands kids claim their place in the social heirarchy by climbing on top of and even trampling on one another in order to develop that most important character trait "popularity".

Okay, okay, so I don't say it exactly that way, but I get the point across. Oh, and I found out the hard way that people who send their kids to public or private school don't like the same questions turned on them! :)

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
One of my fares (that I drive around now and then) told me that she doesn't believe that home-schooling should be legal because the kids don't learn how to socialize. :chuckle: I told her that, rather than not learning to socialize, home-schooled kids learn to socialize with all age groups and learn that in real life, adults don't spend eight hours a day five days a week with thirty people all the same age as they are. She didn't know how to reply to that one.

Hey, I tell people that all the time!! I didn't read your post before I replied to nicholsmom, but I get this argument more than any other. And you're right, people don't know how to answer that one! :D

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber

Hey, I noticed you're from southeastern Indiana. I was born in Evansville and lived in Mt. Vernon (more specifically Point Township) until I was 11. Ever heard of it?

nicholsmom is also from somewhere in Indiana. The world keeps getting smaller and smaller!

:wave2: to all fellow Hoosiers!

Adam

Hall of Fame
I had a Christian co-worker tell me the other day that if he and his wife ever have children, he wouldn't homeschool them. His reason? He says he wouldn't want them to rebel when they grew up. :noway: :cry:

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
I had a Christian co-worker tell me the other day that if he and his wife ever have children, he wouldn't homeschool them. His reason? He says he wouldn't want them to rebel when they grew up. :noway: :cry:

Haven't you noticed that Government schools have been very effective in reducing rebellion?:plain:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Wow. How sad. How do they come to that conclusion?

I get a lot of encouragement even from my unbelieving family that they are very impressed by the children. They aren't ashamed to say that it is because they are homeschooled. A lot of people don't get it but it is an opportunity to share the benefits of it.

We are trying to reach one family in particular right now. They have become friends in the last year and they PS all three of their children. Two of the children are on Ritalin.

On a side note-they are Christians and we have recently given them our copy of The Plot to them. We had previously loaned them a copy of The Mystery which is a condensed overview of the dispensation of grace and they wanted to see more of an exhaustive study.

So when they want to change the subject off of homeschooling we then discuss the mystery.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:squint:

:doh:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So I wonder if they think it is natural for teens to rebel.

OR... I wonder if they think that by teaching their kids to rebel the kids won't rebel against THAT teaching... and that's what they really mean?!?!?