Hey everyone, I'm Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

El DLo

If you learned that the act of homosexual intercourse was in fact harmful, would you then agree that it should be illegal?

Notice that this question is conditional. If...in fact...

Depends on how it would be harmful. There's varying degrees of harmful. If it was deliberate and the intent was to harm somebody, then it would be illegal like anything else of that nature.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Depends on how it would be harmful. There's varying degrees of harmful. If it was deliberate and the intent was to harm somebody, then it would be illegal like anything else of that nature.

So you support the legalization of prostitution then?

El DLo

So you support the legalization of prostitution then?

Honestly, yes, but only in a controlled setting. It's already legal in some states in controlled settings. The men who want to use it won't stop, so why not make sure that the prostitutes are STD safe and make it something taxable?

That's not to say that I'm in favor of prostitution, as I'm happily in a relationship, but considering it's not going anywhere as long as it's illegal, it may as well be taxable.

keypurr

Oh not in the slightest. I welcome for anyone to change my realm of thought, I just expect it to be done in a civilized and factual manner. Far too often I see "The bible clearly says...". I know what the Bible says, and I do not view it as a book of truths, so if someone wishes to challenge my beliefs, it's going to take more than scripture. That's all that I meant by that statement.

Welcome Dan, when someone say that "The Bible clearly say...", you know that they do not know what they are talking about. The Bible is the most complex book ever written. I accept you as you are friend, do not change for me. I am a tad bit older than you though, you most likely would not like my music.
Peace

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
...when someone say that "The Bible clearly say...", you know that they do not know what they are talking about.

The Bible clearly says:

Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

What part of this indicates that I don't know what I am talking about?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
First, congrats on the whole response to your hello. I think maybe four people wndered into mine and one was lost and two were looking for the restroom. Now then...
So last night I stumbled upon this forum ...To my surprise I discovered that this site is full of people of every religion and denomination of every religion. I never thought that in a place called "Theology Forum" I would find a place where I could freely post as an Atheist and not be automatically ridiculed for my beliefs.
A mixed bag. There are mockers of every stripe to be had and people worth talking to from every camp as well. So it isn't discourse Eutopia, but it is worthwhile and surprisingly diverse.
That said, as my topic suggests, my name is Dan.
We'll be the judge of that. :plain:
I'm a tad younger than most people on this site are from what I can tell (I'm a freshman in college), but don't take that to mean that I'm ignorant to what I'm talking about.
Oh, we have a number of your youngsters with your rocks and rolls music lolling about the place. And since the only way you can be seen is to be heard, you even get a pass from the "my adage right or wrong" crowd.
As you can see, my beliefs are rooted in science and reasoning as I am an Atheist. There are many Atheists out there who are blatantly ignorant...
So that isn't as apparent as you first thought then. That's okay. We start with self knowledge and tend to generalize from it. The statement immediately following demonstrates an ability to see with some balance. How much of it can be applied inwardly remains to be discovered by us. You can imagine the anticipation. :chuckle:
I make it an integral part of life to understand the beliefs and practices of other cultures.
When I was your age (groans abound) and of your disposition I read religious books as a means of examining man's exploration of being and relation. Fascinating from a sociological perspective, to my mind.
I come here, not as a rambunctious teenager who is dead-set on converting every last person to an Atheist, but as an educated young man who understands and respects the beliefs of all other people on here.
Would it be fairer (and more accurate) to suggest you respect the right to hold an opinion, more particularly a well reasoned one?
In a similar vein of understanding, I do not expect to have people attempt to convert me. I understand that beliefs are something that people hold dear, but I know, and everyone should know as well that religious beliefs in any form are something that a person has to find for themselves.
Ah, a conversation to have at some point. I've held the opinion that the challenge of the nonbeliever for proof of God's existence is nonsensical and that the response in apologetics is equally flawed, since both presume criteria neither can provide to satisfy the question. The proof of God, if that statement remains standing, must and can only be the subjective experience of Him.
Generally speaking, I have heard, read, and understand many of the ideals of several religions that people hold to be absolute truth, and they just don't do it to me.
We'll have to have a conversation on the rational superiority of the Theist posit, from a practical and rational perspective then, at some point.
Besides that, I'm a musician with a passion for 70s rock
Ah, so you ARE a heathen. :chuckle: Missed the best stuff by a decade. Early Stones, Beatles, Hendrix, Dylan and on and on...
a fanatic of ancient history,
So you're saying you'll strap a dissertation to your chest and run into a library if need be?
and an avid enthusiast of technology.
Demons in a box. :D
I'm here to find good discussion, not make enemies,
There's a lot of that to be had if you can stomach the other sort.
The concept of infinity is hard to grasp, but in the same sense, where did God come from?
He necessarily wouldn't "come from" anywhere, any more than you can name the starting point of an infinite regress. As required in a God centered universe as an infinite regress would be in a Godless one...and about as demonstrable.

Welcome. :e4e:

nicholsmom

I wasn't trying to insinuate any such thing. There are plenty of religious people who base much of their lives on reasoning. The only difference is that I base my entire life on reasoning whereas a religion person lets faith play part of the role in their beliefs.
:rotfl: I am going to like you, Dan, if only for the :rotfl: :rotfl: and the :chuckle:

Shall I re-post for you the number of times in this thread alone that you have stated "I believe..." or "I'm a believer that..." for things that you have given neither evidence nor reasoning? Everyone has faith - it's only a matter of where and with whom it lies.

Still. Thanks for the :chuckle: :chuckle: and welcome to TOL where you will have to do better than that, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

El DLo

Thanks for the err... analysis town heretic. I'm certainly glad to be aboard.

He necessarily wouldn't "come from" anywhere, any more than you can name the starting point of an infinite regress. As required in a God centered universe as an infinite regress would be in a Godless one...and about as demonstrable.

Just to address this statement, I'm not one of those people who says "The universe was always there", because I know one can't prove that. However, in a similar vein of thought, I admit that the details on the origins of the universe are cloudy, but with the expectation that the religious people on here can acknowledge the same about God. Ergo: You can't expect to use a lack of starting point for the Universe as a rationalization to find flaw in my beliefs when your belief is equally shrouded in uncertainty.

------------------------
Shall I re-post for you the number of times in this thread alone that you have stated "I believe..." or "I'm a believer that..." for things that you have given neither evidence nor reasoning? Everyone has faith - it's only a matter of where and with whom it lies.

Still. Thanks for the and welcome to TOL where you will have to do better than that, I'm afraid.

Many of the posts I have made here were slightly rushed due to a flood of incoming posts. Generally speaking, if I say "I believe" regarding something, I will state it from a moral perspective. If it's something beyond that, then I can supply the rationalization for my belief. I was just hard-pressed for time in this thread.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thanks for the err... analysis town heretic. I'm certainly glad to be aboard.
Good to have you.
Just to address this statement, I'm not one of those people who says "The universe was always there", because I know one can't prove that.
You might as well say it, since the alternative is creation. :idunno:
However, in a similar vein of thought, I admit that the details on the origins of the universe are cloudy, but with the expectation that the religious people on here can acknowledge the same about God.
You did note that I didn't attempt to put either objectively ahead?Not sure about applying cloudy to God in terms of origin. God wouldn't have an origin even in the sense of the infinite regress.
Ergo: You can't expect to use a lack of starting point for the Universe as a rationalization to find flaw in my beliefs when your belief is equally shrouded in uncertainty.
Wouldn't dream of it. I think either statement of faith is demonstrably nothing more or less than that. :e4e:

Status
Not open for further replies.