Hello

chairistotle

Hello folks,

I call myself Chairistotle because I have no illusions or delusions of being a great philosopher. I will always be an armchair theologian and philosopher. By way of disclosure I have been on the old Derek Webb message board under another moniker. I also spent a considerable amount of time debating Atheists on the eteamrevolution.org message board about 6 years ago. I haven't engaged in much debate since the eteam board went down. That has been mostly due to lack of interest on my part. Debate, done well, requires a lot of reading and winnowing through bad arguments. I simply do not have the time to engage every poor argument I see.

About me: I am a junior studying Philosophy at UofM and do plan on getting an undergrad degree in that field. As I said, I don't plan on making any earthshaking new discoveries in the field.

I am 39 yrs old, married to a beautiful wife with one son who is about two months old.

I consider myself a Reformed Baptist theologically speaking. My philosophic worldview is therefore mostly Orthodox Christian with the exception of believer's baptism.

I like music, play piano and sing. I like WoW and still play quite frequently when my wife and son are sleeping.

I work for GM and will hopefully retire from that in twelve years to finish my Master's and move into a second job as a Professor of Philosophy.

Epistemology: Scripturalism
Philosophy: Axiomatic Deduction from Scripture
Soteriology: Sola Fide, Sola Gratia, Sola Christus, Sola Scriptura, Soli Deo Gloria
Eschatology: Amillennialism

chairistotle

do you expect any strikes in the near future?

No. I think the UAW has begun to realize the precariousness of their situation with GM. Push too hard and GM will take away everything, close the plants, and import cars from Mexico and Korea. The UAW needs GM way more than GM needs the UAW and the current leadership knows it.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, I cannot speak for the UAW any more than what I have observed.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
No. I think the UAW has begun to realize the precariousness of their situation with GM. Push too hard and GM will take away everything, close the plants, and import cars from Mexico and Korea. The UAW needs GM way more than GM needs the UAW and the current leadership knows it.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, I cannot speak for the UAW any more than what I have observed.

good answer

do you have any idea what percentage of your fellow union members vote republican?

chairistotle

No but I imagine it is more than what the UAW would like. Doing a quick mental survey of the people I immediately work with it's probably a 50/50 split once you take out the independents. I don't think that would be a fair representation of the entire workforce though.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Welcome chair, there are some folk here you will enjoy engaging. For the rest you may need fireproofing. :)

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Hello folks,

I call myself Chairistotle because I have no illusions or delusions of being a great philosopher. I will always be an armchair theologian and philosopher. By way of disclosure I have been on the old Derek Webb message board under another moniker. I also spent a considerable amount of time debating Atheists on the eteamrevolution.org message board about 6 years ago. I haven't engaged in much debate since the eteam board went down. That has been mostly due to lack of interest on my part. Debate, done well, requires a lot of reading and winnowing through bad arguments. I simply do not have the time to engage every poor argument I see.

About me: I am a junior studying Philosophy at UofM and do plan on getting an undergrad degree in that field. As I said, I don't plan on making any earthshaking new discoveries in the field.

I am 39 yrs old, married to a beautiful wife with one son who is about two months old.

I consider myself a Reformed Baptist theologically speaking. My philosophic worldview is therefore mostly Orthodox Christian with the exception of believer's baptism.

I like music, play piano and sing. I like WoW and still play quite frequently when my wife and son are sleeping.

I work for GM and will hopefully retire from that in twelve years to finish my Master's and move into a second job as a Professor of Philosophy.

Epistemology: Scripturalism
Philosophy: Axiomatic Deduction from Scripture
Soteriology: Sola Fide, Sola Gratia, Sola Christus, Sola Scriptura, Soli Deo Gloria
Eschatology: Amillennialism

What do you plan to do with a degree in philosophy?

chairistotle

What think ye of Cornelius Van Til?

I think Bahnsen is his best advocate. In fact I often suggest that one read Bahnsen in order to get a grasp of Van Til's apologetic. I lean more towards Clark but I am not one to disparage Van Til. He was a good thinker.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I think Bahnsen is his best advocate. In fact I often suggest that one read Bahnsen in order to get a grasp of Van Til's apologetic. I lean more towards Clark but I am not one to disparage Van Til. He was a good thinker.
I think you will appreciate the posts on this forum by Hilston. He is terrific at using Van Til's apologetic method. To find his posts just click the "Communtiy" tab at the top of this page and then click "Members List."

Dena

Hello and Welcome.

So you plan to go all the way through the doctorate level? What made you to decide to go the philosophy route?

chairistotle

Hello and Welcome.

So you plan to go all the way through the doctorate level? What made you to decide to go the philosophy route?

Thanks and Hello to you Dena,

It's one option for sure. I picked philosophy because it was something I do for fun. It was easy to read through Aristotle or Plato or Spinoza (Although Hegel gives me a headache), because I actually find it interesting.

I started posting on the Derek Webb message board and was immediately schooled in the ways of the logic by very wise and discerning people. After that I was hooked.

chairistotle

I think you will appreciate the posts on this forum by Hilston. He is terrific at using Van Til's apologetic method. To find his posts just click the "Communtiy" tab at the top of this page and then click "Members List."

Cool, I'll see if I can find his posts.

Edit: I tried but the search feature isn't enabled. I'll find them eventually and peruse them.