Hello one and all!

rainee

Dear Dena,
enough of that, ok?
It is just being scrappy, imo

Telling someone they can't be part of Judaism when parts of Judaism can accept Buddhism is like -- I dunno - kooky.

Anyway Christianity is using a Greek word for a Jewish Concept based on Jewish Scriptures.

Do you know what many Gentiles are saying in Christianity now? That not all the New Testament is for them. That is right, they are excluding themselves from parts.

You think you are upset by Gentiles carrying the name "Messianic Judaism"?

Have you thought what it may be like when Jews step in to take the Scriptures the Gentiles are leaving behind?

And I am not talking about those who are Jews by means of conversion.
I am talking about born Jews who were made ashamed or afraid or worse.

Tell them Christianity no longer holds Peter's letters as to them.
All that talk in one letter about Noah, and being saved while the rest of the world goes down the drain is not for non Jews anymore according to some in Christianity.

And that will only be the beginning.
They will throw away what they think they can.
But the rest will be taken from them as in Paul, the one who loved Israel but served Gentiles.
Jewish believers who were Apostles were not doing what came easy but what came hard. They didn't get their hearts desire - yet.

Dena, when Jews go to their Scriptures - if you were not born Jewish you will know something you never dreamed of - namely that they don't have to care because they have suffered for who they are for years.

Dena

Telling someone they can't be part of Judaism when parts of Judaism can accept Buddhism is like -- I dunno - kooky.

When you are a Jew then you can have an opinion. For now you don't seem to know what you are talking about. Judaism does not "accept" Buddhism as a part of Judaism which is what were talking about here. Some Jews are Buddhists. Some Jews are Christian. Some Jews are Muslim. Some Jews are atheist. That's irrelevant to the conversation.

I'm not being kooky. I'm pointing out reality. I could go around telling people I'm a Canadian Muslim. Am I Canadian? No. Am I a Muslim? No. So can I still call myself a Canadian Muslim and expect the Canadians and Muslims to just go along with it? I imagine they would think I'm nuts. I'm not telling Jerusha she can't be a part of Judaism. I'm telling her she isn't and she's being dishonest. If she wanted to be a part of Judaism and convert I would be more than happy to speak with her about it.

Do you know what many Gentiles are saying in Christianity now? That not all the New Testament is for them. That is right, they are excluding themselves from parts.

Perhaps they are correct. I really have no idea. It's none of my business.

You think you are upset by Gentiles carrying the name "Messianic Judaism"?

Have you thought what it may be like when Jews step in to take the Scriptures the Gentiles are leaving behind?

And I am not talking about those who are Jews by means of conversion. I am talking about born Jews who were made ashamed or afraid or worse.

Tell them Christianity no longer holds Peter's letters as to them.
All that talk in one letter about Noah, and being saved while the rest of the world goes down the drain is not for non Jews anymore according to some in Christianity.

You lost me here. You were talking about Christians and now you seem to have switched over to Jews. I would agree the "new testament" is not for Jews.

And that will only be the beginning.
They will throw away what they think they can.
But the rest will be taken from them as in Paul, the one who loved Israel but served Gentiles.
Jewish believers who were Apostles were not doing what came easy but what came hard. They didn't get their hearts desire - yet.

Dena, when Jews go to their Scriptures - if you were not born Jewish you will know something you never dreamed of - namely that they don't have to care because they have suffered for who they are for years.

What on earth are you talking about?

rainee

When you are a Jew then you can have an opinion.

Hi Dena, my opinion is like my - uhm,no.
My opinion is - hmmm, no.

Okay, this: Everyone is entitled to my own opinion.

For now you don't seem to know what you are talking about. Judaism does not "accept" Buddhism as a part of Judaism which is what were talking about here.

Think about this: The definition of a Jew by Jews (generally speaking) is according to birth or conversion.
According to Wiki all mainstream forms of Judaism
go with this with details being different.

So birth or conversion are not equal but entirely different and yet both are acceptable to Judaism in all three major forms: Orthodox, Reform or Conservative.

AS long as they are talking about being Jewish in this way then shouldn't I be able to also, Dena?
According to three major movements of Judaism a born Jew can be an atheist, Buddhist, Jewish and accepted to Judaism as such.

Some Jews are Buddhists. Some Jews are Christian. Some Jews are Muslim. Some Jews are atheist. That's irrelevant to the conversation.

May I ask about your Judaism?

I'm not being kooky. I'm pointing out reality. I could go around telling people I'm a Canadian Muslim. Am I Canadian? No. Am I a Muslim? No. So can I still call myself a Canadian Muslim and expect the Canadians and Muslims to just go along with it?

No I am not calling your thinking kooky, I think you are right.
Whether major branches of Judaism agree - I don't know.

...I'm not telling Jerusha she can't be a part of Judaism. I'm telling her she isn't and she's being dishonest. If she wanted to be a part of Judaism and convert I would be more than happy to speak with her about it.

Yes, well that is the rub.
Once you cover the major forms of Judaism then you have what is left. If she says there is such a thing as Messianic Judaism - and she does - then you are going to be hard pressed to make her look like a Canadian Muslim or a conservative mainstream Christian. She is going to sound too Judaic.

Please notice Christians worked hard not to sound Judaic.

You lost me here. You were talking about Christians and now you seem to have switched over to Jews. I would agree the "new testament" is not for Jews.

Then I was not clear.
When Gentiles throw away some Jewish Scriptures in the New Testament and say those particular Scriptures are not for Gentile Christians anymore then they remove part of the offense of the Gentiles.

What on earth are you talking about?

I can't say it any clearer.
I could be wrong -
but I don't think so.

Dena

Okay, this: Everyone is entitled to my own opinion.

I guess I have to disagree. When it comes to Christianity there are areas where I do not get an opinion. When it comes to how you may parent your child, again, areas where I get no opinion. Your marriage...same deal.

AS long as they are talking about being Jewish in this way then shouldn't I be able to also, Dena?

No. The Messianic movement isn't Jewish and those who were not born Jewish or convert are not Jewish. I don't know how much more plain I can make it.

According to three major movements of Judaism a born Jew can be an atheist, Buddhist, Jewish and accepted to Judaism as such.

Correct. Also, anyone who converts to Judaism and later takes on another religion remains a Jew. However I fail to see how that relates to this topic as we're talking about people who were never Jewish in the first place. We're talking about a religion that isn't Judaism. When the Jew is involved in Buddhism he or she is still accepted as a Jew but their religion is not Judaism.

May I ask about your Judaism?

What would you like to know?

No I am not calling your thinking kooky, I think you are right.
Whether major branches of Judaism agree - I don't know.

All branches of Judaism including Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Modern Orthodox, Reconstructionist and Renewal all agree that the Messianic movement is not Judaism. They do all agree that if you were Jewish and becoming Messianic you are of course, still Jewish. But being Messianic does not make one Jewish nor does it mean their religion is a Judaism. It's actually one of the areas where everyone can agree. We should thank the Messianic movement for that, I think. :thumb:

Yes, well that is the rub.
Once you cover the major forms of Judaism then you have what is left. If she says there is such a thing as Messianic Judaism - and she does - then you are going to be hard pressed to make her look like a Canadian Muslim or a conservative mainstream Christian. She is going to sound too Judaic.

I am not sure what you are saying but like I already stated, the Messianic movement isn't Judaism. That was my main point with that analogy.

Please notice Christians worked hard not to sound Judaic.

Knowledgeable and involved Jews can often spot a Messianic very quickly. Perhaps they think they are "judaic" but to many Jews they sound like Christians.

Then I was not clear.
When Gentiles throw away some Jewish Scriptures in the New Testament and say those particular Scriptures are not for Gentile Christians anymore then they remove part of the offense of the Gentiles.

Could you give me an example? I am not aware of Jewish scripture in the "new testament" so you'll have to give me an example if you can find one. I haven't heard of this so far as I can remember.