Having children thru their maids.

Pamella

In the case of Sarah and Rebecca and Leah saying they will obtain children thru their maids. So how does that work exactly? And, what on earth does 'bearing children on one's knees' mean?

theophilus

Rachel served as a midwife to Bilhah.

No she didn't.

Bilhah, a servant girl presented to *Rachel by her father. Bilhah was given by Rachel to her husband Jacob as a concubine. Bilhah bore two children by him, *Dan and *Naphtali. Reuben cohabited with her while his father was still alive, apparently by way of asserting his right of primogeniture. This offense is given as the reason for the loss of birthright by Reuben.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pamella asked, "what on earth does 'bearing children on one's knees' mean"?

The question is addressed in Genesis 30:3 concerning Rachel, not Sarah.
If you read the commentary provided the specific question is answered, no matter to whom it is applied. Out of a sense of not appealing to the puerile natures of some, the link is all I saw fit to post. One will have to actually read it to glean the answer(s) given therein.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I read the commentary and it provides a couple of interpretations, neither of which I agree with.
There are varying views. In addition to the one's contained in the link peviously provided, some believe the phrase to mean the children are adopted (See Genesis 50:23). Others, a reference to the upright birthing method used in ancient times. The phrase is possibly a Hebrew idiom related to Middle Eastern custom: ceremonially placing a child on one’s knees or lap, that person is signifying that they are claiming that child as their own.

Pick one. Go in peace. ;)

AMR

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
There are varying views. In addition to the one's contained in the link peviously provided, some believe the phrase to mean the children are adopted (See Genesis 50:23). Others, a reference to the upright birthing method used in ancient times. The phrase is possibly a Hebrew idiom related to Middle Eastern custom: ceremonially placing a child on one’s knees or lap, that person is signifying that they are claiming that child as their own.

Pick one. Go in peace. ;)

Ok, thanks. I pick the one where Sarah is on her knees delivering Bilhah's baby. That makes more sense to me.

iouae

In the case of Sarah and Rebecca and Leah saying they will obtain children thru their maids. So how does that work exactly? And, what on earth does 'bearing children on one's knees' mean?

Today we would speak of "test-tube babies" through surrogate mothers.

Back then they did not have test-tubes or in-vitro fertilisation.

So back then, the husband had to implant the maid and the mistress then would raise the baby as her own - in theory. In practice, it just caused chaos.

But this chaos in Jacob's home was God orchestrated because God was doing some genetic engineering of the nation of Israel, and he was selecting traits from all 4 mothers to produce the 12 tribes. These 12 tribes are part of the modern nations today as God promised in Gen 49. The nation of Israel today is but one of 13 countries which came from Jacob's chaotic home.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why are you responding to the one hit wonder? She might have well said "why does the Bible say π is 3.0", when it doesn't.

iouae

Why are you responding to the one hit wonder? She might have well said "why does the Bible say π is 3.0", when it doesn't.

I am sorry Nick, I don't get your point.

Pamella is most welcome here and her question sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Sarah could not bear children and looked for a surrogate mother.

Rachel and Leah could not bear children fast enough to please not-so-wise-Jacob, so they brought in a few of their maids to bear babies for them too. Jacob was a large part of this chaos by consenting to go in to the maids, and by having favourites.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am sorry Nick, I don't get your point.

This person registered here and has made one post, a classic left wing devil worshipping cliché that she thinks is clever. You must be new to the internet and forums. Don't mind me, you continue on without the person starting the thread for discussion. I will be making my martini.

iouae

This person registered here and has made one post, a classic left wing devil worshipping cliché that she thinks is clever. You must be new to the internet and forums. Don't mind me, you continue on without the person starting the thread for discussion. I will be making my martini.

Nick, I think you need that martini, or perhaps a few.

I am just glad my first post was not greeted with such hostility.

And I still don't see what it is about the question that you find unreasonable.

Pamella

Oh, really. ? Well that is news to me.

Pamella

What made me really question as to Leah and Rachel acting as the parents is when Jacob was meeting up with his brother Esau and he presented the maids with their children. Not with Leah and Rachel. Thankyou for your reply's. Appreciate it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
What made me really question as to Leah and Rachel acting as the parents is when Jacob was meeting up with his brother Esau and he presented the maids with their children. Not with Leah and Rachel. Thankyou for your reply's. Appreciate it.
ur the best Pamella